Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:02:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 18 Dapper interview with Richie Wellens  (Read 2399 times)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
Re: 18 Dapper interview with Richie Wellens
« Reply #1 on November 17, 2021, 11:59:48 am by keyser_soze »
Another interesting interview and insight. Interesting to say he will 'have eyes on January signings' and 'will put my name to them' - sounds like many of the current players were signed on recommendations rather than personal experience.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 17, 2021, 12:48:07 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Superb & really enjoyed how relaxed & honest RW came over.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 17, 2021, 12:53:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Another interesting interview and insight. Interesting to say he will 'have eyes on January signings' and 'will put my name to them' - sounds like many of the current players were signed on recommendations rather than personal experience.

Yes, I thought the same. After the initial need to assemble a new squad virtually from scratch, we know some of the signings we're on a needs must basis. Those decisions and gambles may have not looked as bad if Fej, Taylor etc had been available to him and the further injuries hadn't compounded his woes.

He now has the benefit of hindsight and time to make sure he gets the type of players he wants.

The club and Richie may be quite coy about plans for January but I hope there's no messing about in doing what needs to be done both in and out!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 17, 2021, 01:54:39 pm by MachoMadness »
Big news for me is that Taylor will be fit to play Saturday (presumably from the bench). Fingers crossed he has no more arse issues between now and then.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 17, 2021, 02:42:04 pm by steve@dcfd »
Yes it looks like Taylor will be fit to play some part He mentioned we miss Okenbirhie but no answer when he will be back. Good to hear that players could be coming in and Richie will have seen those players let’s hope we are in a position in the table and financially to attract the players we need.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 17, 2021, 04:56:27 pm by roversdude »
Got to love Richie another totally honest assessment

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 17, 2021, 08:37:00 pm by The Beast »
Good interview! Think Richie puts things into context well, feel quite reassured after listening to it.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 17, 2021, 08:47:16 pm by Plumbster »
Decent interview but distancing himself from transfers is a bit disingenuous (he went out and signed Close and Williams very early) and is not going to build team confidence.  Anyway there are signs of improvement so let’s hope he can turn things round.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 18, 2021, 08:45:13 am by GazLaz »
Any interview with RW is usually a good interview. The lad doing the interviewing is very awkward though. He makes the big mistake, that a lot of people make when they are doing these things, that they want to come across as they know their stuff so spout shite in between the questions to try and make themselves sound knowledgable. Nobody is interested in the interviewers opinion, just keep quiet and the best interviewers come across like they know nothing at all. That’s a skill in itself.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 18, 2021, 10:01:38 am by idler »
Any interview with RW is usually a good interview. The lad doing the interviewing is very awkward though. He makes the big mistake, that a lot of people make when they are doing these things, that they want to come across as they know their stuff so spout shite in between the questions to try and make themselves sound knowledgable. Nobody is interested in the interviewers opinion, just keep quiet and the best interviewers come across like they know nothing at all. That’s a skill in itself.

There are some very good potential interviewers on here GazLaz reading that.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 18, 2021, 11:13:18 am by Canadian Rover »
It was nice for Richie to take the time to answer. I maybe wrong but I get the impression that nobody in interviews is allowed to ask the questions about Bogle though. Richie in the interview gave excuses (not reasons) for performances. He made an excuse of not having a forward option from the bench when the club needed it most - he discussed Cukur-Dodoo-Jordi being exhausted and the club not having an option up front.

It's time the Bogle situation was explained in detail.

The other thing I thought was really interesting was the budget/choices of players not being his...it sounded like players were signed he didn't want.

We had forever and a day to build and prepare since Moore left and we brought in players our manager doesn't want.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 18, 2021, 12:11:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It was nice for Richie to take the time to answer. I maybe wrong but I get the impression that nobody in interviews is allowed to ask the questions about Bogle though. Richie in the interview gave excuses (not reasons) for performances. He made an excuse of not having a forward option from the bench when the club needed it most - he discussed Cukur-Dodoo-Jordi being exhausted and the club not having an option up front.

It's time the Bogle situation was explained in detail.

The other thing I thought was really interesting was the budget/choices of players not being his...it sounded like players were signed he didn't want.

We had forever and a day to build and prepare since Moore left and we brought in players our manager doesn't want.

I didn't get the impression he was saying all the signings we've made weren't his choices but more emphasising future signings will be after more thorough groundwork by him and right for the club.

On the Bogle front, what is there to explain that he hasn't already? He wants him out of the club along with Williams as he's not part of any future plans.

He made his decision not to involve him in the first team squad. We can debate the merit of that decision all we want but if he changed his decision, that would be worse than his original decision and could have a detrimental effect on him and the rest of the squad.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 18, 2021, 12:43:01 pm by The Beast »
We don’t know what exactly has gone on with Wellens, Bogle and Williams but if he says too much it could jeopardise any chance of getting rid of them in January, if he says they’re disruptive and their attitude stinks he’s devaluing our assets, having said that the damage is probably already done and we’ll have to pay their full contract up to get rid early.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 18, 2021, 01:18:27 pm by ravenrover »
Paying them up still takrs money out of the budget, what we gain? Another cheap not quite ready player or two. The only way out of this is they find somewhere in Jan to free up their wages but as had been said previously  are they interested in finding another club?

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 18, 2021, 07:09:09 pm by andyst79 »
We don’t know what exactly has gone on with Wellens, Bogle and Williams but if he says too much it could jeopardise any chance of getting rid of them in January, if he says they’re disruptive and their attitude stinks he’s devaluing our assets, having said that the damage is probably already done and we’ll have to pay their full contract up to get rid early.
Assets?! They're shit nobody wants them.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 18, 2021, 11:43:34 pm by The Beast »
Assets?! They're shit nobody wants them.
Apparently that’s not factually true though is it.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 19, 2021, 12:20:30 am by Canadian Rover »

By not playing them at all its devaluing them and negatively effecting our league standing.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 19, 2021, 07:30:32 am by The Beast »

By not playing them at all its devaluing them and negatively effecting our league standing.
Well yeah true, that’s going to devalue them. I’ve no idea what the situation was with the signing of Ed Williams but 3 managers now have not fancied him. 
Although I could see the sense in most of the stuff Wellens was saying, when he’s talking about all the circumstances and injuries against us, which there undoubtedly are, he talks about having to flog Hiwula, Cukur and Dodoo physically but when you’ve got a guy who has got the physical attributes in Bogle to take some of that workload it’s a bit of a lame excuse, when HE has marginalised him. I know people will say he’s shit he doesn’t follow orders but if those three are following orders they’re misinterpreting them or the orders are wrong because none of them are doing the basics regarding movement of a forward player.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 20, 2021, 06:32:25 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Good points Canadian. This entire episode rather sums up Wellens’ naivety in matters of management and the statements he comes out with.

You read what he said today to the DFP: “We’ll improve massively in January with the bodies that we get in and we’ll obviously have injured players back” A hostage to fortune if ever I heard one.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012