Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:19:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Planning Ahead  (Read 7443 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Re: Planning Ahead
« Reply #60 on August 12, 2019, 12:47:20 pm by graingrover »
Léon Clarke situation is typical of today’s football world .He is under contract to Blades who did not wish him to leave till they brought another forward in .For  him to leave now it will forcibly be a loan since the wondow is closed .Maybe we have the same position at Luton with Hylton .
As for long term planning ..GM effed all plans up by letting good players go then moving on himself .It will be impossible to build a stronger squad than we finished the season with and DM will no doubt do what he is proven at .Develop the U 23 squad as THE future plan.That is the only way to avoid having to start afresh every season .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 12, 2019, 12:48:37 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Loans will never be the full solution because of the limit we can have in the squad so the amount of short term-ism is limited. Plus now when we sign a player under 30 the contract length appears to be 3 years more often than not.

As i said before our planning is 100% reliant on the managers views at the moment but if we could take a lot of that side away from them so they focus on coaching/tactics we'd be able to line things up quicker. Depends how you like the club run i wouldn't mind that way so long as the manager has a veto and strong input, they should still be most important person at the club.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 12, 2019, 12:49:07 pm by wing commander »
   As for Grant,i didn't hear this myself but a Hull friend of mind says that he gave a radio interview with Humberside on Saturday prior to the game, were he claims that he actually had a deal in place to actually purchase Malik Wilks last season but couldn't get it sanctioned by the board..

Cant see that been true but the more he speaks the less respect I have for him now...

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 12, 2019, 12:51:23 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Léon Clarke situation is typical of today’s football world .He is under contract to Blades who did not wish him to leave till they brought another forward in .For  him to leave now it will forcibly be a loan since the wondow is closed .Maybe we have the same position at Luton with Hylton .
As for long term planning ..GM effed all plans up by letting good players go then moving on himself .It will be impossible to build a stronger squad than we finished the season with and DM will no doubt do what he is proven at .Develop the U 23 squad as THE future plan.That is the only way to avoid having to start afresh every season .

Haven't they all named their 25 man squad that can't be changed so if they sign a replacement for Clarke he won't be able to play anyway? not sure how fixed the squad is once named. And we can still sign him permanently

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 12, 2019, 12:51:43 pm by redarmy82 »
   As for Grant,i didn't hear this myself but a Hull friend of mind says that he gave a radio interview with Humberside on Saturday prior to the game, were he claims that he actually had a deal in place to actually purchase Malik Wilks last season but couldn't get it sanctioned by the board..

Cant see that been true but the more he speaks the less respect I have for him now...

And if it is true?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 12, 2019, 12:56:36 pm by wing commander »

And if it is true?

Then going on what Barnsley have just shelled out for him, then we royally dropped a big clanger because I'm sure it wouldn't have been that amount...But surely it isn't true???

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 12, 2019, 12:57:39 pm by redarmy82 »

And if it is true?

Then going on what Barnsley have just shelled out for him, then we royally dropped a big clanger because I'm sure it wouldn't have been that amount...But surely it isn't true???

I guess only Mccann and the board know for sure,

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 12, 2019, 12:58:21 pm by IDM »
Just a thought based upon speculation only - maybe we would have only moved for Wilks on a permanent deal had we achieved promotion.?

There’s always more to a story than what a manager/player lets on in a press interview after joining a new club..

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 12, 2019, 01:07:44 pm by steve@dcfd »

Haven't they all named their 25 man squad that can't be changed so if they sign a replacement for Clarke he won't be able to play anyway? not sure how fixed the squad is once named. And we can still sign him permanently
They’ve got while 2ndSept to name 25 squad at present Sheffield U have named 23 but still have players not in the 25 which Clarke is one. They can still sign free agents until then also. Once the 25 has been finalised then it’s very difficult.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 12, 2019, 01:08:49 pm by drfcsteve »
Following with interest now to learn from SM if the Free Press made up the story that DM had bids accepted for 2 strikers. If they did that paints a different picture to what everyone on here seems to be worried about.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 12, 2019, 01:14:35 pm by Jonathan »
Following with interest now to learn from SM if the Free Press made up the story that DM had bids accepted for 2 strikers. If they did that paints a different picture to what everyone on here seems to be worried about.

The Free Press didn’t make it up, it’s lifted from the interview DM gave to BBC Radio Sheffield on the Thursday before the season kicked off. He said that fees had been agreed with the clubs but there were still details to be sorted to get the deals over the line. When pushed by the interviewer (Andy Giddings I think) it was said to be terms and medicals still to be resolved. DM was typically coy, but that was the inference from it and there was a clear reference to these players being goalscorers with pedigree and records as good if not better than John Marquis.

I think it’ll still be on the Football Heaven website to listen to.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on August 12, 2019, 02:34:21 pm by dknward2 »
He said bids were accepted but we were just waiting on final details, I assume bonuses contract length etc now these may still be being done player wants 2 year we want 3 or vice versa. He may want a million if we go up or scores 20 goals we may only want to pay 300k this is all ifs and buts at the minute.

Looks like we have to wait as SM says DM really wants this player in so I’m sure he and the board are doing everything they can but at the same time are not going to upset the balance of the club and team for one man.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 12, 2019, 02:59:31 pm by Copps is Magic »
It seems we're in negotiation with someone ... and hes placing incredible demands on the club. The guy better justify it, whoever he is.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 12, 2019, 04:02:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It seems we're in negotiation with someone ... and hes placing incredible demands on the club. The guy better justify it, whoever he is.

Given his comments on it potentially being quick, perhaps it's a case of mostly agreed but waiting for the player to be fit, or club to agree etc etc, lots of reasons it could be.

I guess Moore has to question how long he can wait?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 12, 2019, 04:24:03 pm by sha66y »
We either get a striker in (preferably before Saturday) or I’ll start to wonder if DM’s ‘little black book’ was in fact his bible.

We don’t & can’t afford to be paying players weekly wages in the ‘5 figure’ bracket, which means attracting an experienced forward from the Championship is a no no.

DM must have known this, or at least should have been made aware of it & the ‘situation’ regarding Marquis, who despite those who feel rightly or wrongly Marquis served the club ‘a curve ball’ in signing for Portsmouth’, the board should have ‘factored in’ he was leaving & have contingencies in place to address his departure which given the length of time taken to conduct the interviews for the manager position, must surely have been explained to those who made the shortlist (otherwise they’d be guilty at least of offering the position whilst tying the new mans hand behind his back) so given all of that, where & how did DM & the ‘powers at be’ think it sensible to allow statements like “we’ve identified & are in talks with player/s who’s scoring records are as good as John Marquises”?

It makes supporters feel confused & frustrated & even more disappointing, in fact embarrassing, makes DM, GB & the owners look foolish.

I sincerely hope there is an announcement made this week regarding the acquisition of a ‘recognisably’ talented centre forward that makes me the one looking foolish.

I hear ya, but
One man’s recognisably talented striker is another man’s donkey,
I’m not even sure what is required, a target man, a young athletic development type, an older experienced one....

Whoever we get will be Marmite to some...

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 12, 2019, 04:58:35 pm by Metalmicky »
We either get a striker in (preferably before Saturday) or I’ll start to wonder if DM’s ‘little black book’ was in fact his bible.

We don’t & can’t afford to be paying players weekly wages in the ‘5 figure’ bracket, which means attracting an experienced forward from the Championship is a no no.

DM must have known this, or at least should have been made aware of it & the ‘situation’ regarding Marquis, who despite those who feel rightly or wrongly Marquis served the club ‘a curve ball’ in signing for Portsmouth’, the board should have ‘factored in’ he was leaving & have contingencies in place to address his departure which given the length of time taken to conduct the interviews for the manager position, must surely have been explained to those who made the shortlist (otherwise they’d be guilty at least of offering the position whilst tying the new mans hand behind his back) so given all of that, where & how did DM & the ‘powers at be’ think it sensible to allow statements like “we’ve identified & are in talks with player/s who’s scoring records are as good as John Marquises”?

It makes supporters feel confused & frustrated & even more disappointing, in fact embarrassing, makes DM, GB & the owners look foolish.

I sincerely hope there is an announcement made this week regarding the acquisition of a ‘recognisably’ talented centre forward that makes me the one looking foolish.

I hear ya, but
One man’s recognisably talented striker is another man’s donkey,
I’m not even sure what is required, a target man, a young athletic development type, an older experienced one....

Whoever we get will be Marmite to some...

I agree, it doesn't really matter who signs...................... they'll still get abuse on here

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 12, 2019, 05:38:59 pm by dickos1 »
All seems a bit odd, Moore staying he had two bids for players that were accepted and we just needed to get it over the line with the players terms and medicals.
Hoden stating Taylor was one of those even though he was a free transfer so we wouldn’t have paid any fee.
And now SM saying he doesn’t think we had bid for these two players in the first place?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 12, 2019, 05:42:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
This is turning into a complete and utter joke.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 12, 2019, 05:51:32 pm by drfchound »
All seems a bit odd, Moore staying he had two bids for players that were accepted and we just needed to get it over the line with the players terms and medicals.
Hoden stating Taylor was one of those even though he was a free transfer so we wouldn’t have paid any fee.
And now SM saying he doesn’t think we had bid for these two players in the first place?

No mate, SM said we didn’t have any bids rejected and no deals have failed due to wage demands.

It is strange though that the deals haven’t been completed if terms between the clubs have been agreed.
I also don’t believe that Hoden is correct in his assumption that Taylor was one of the strikers that was targeted as his record is in no way comparable to that of Marquis.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 12, 2019, 06:17:44 pm by dickos1 »
So the two players that we bid for and accepted according to DM what’s happened to those players. If the one he is after is a loan and his parent club are deciding if he can come.

I'm not sure what you're quoting there.

But he's probably referring to the two deals we had in place that were set up by GM, one was Sheaf and the other was Middleton. DM sanctioned the Sheaf deal but was cautious over the Middleton one, and in the end signed Taylor as a permanent signing rather another loan.

But I repeat, we've had no bids rejected, no deals have fallen through due to wages, which means your starting premise is all wrong.

I was referring to this, where sm thought the two bids that were being spoken about were the Middleton one rather than the ones just before the Gillingham game

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 12, 2019, 06:20:39 pm by RoversAlias »
Taylor isn't a striker and wasn't at a club so he cannot have been one of the two strikers Moore referred to. Hoden has either misunderstood or just put the information out incorrectly.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 12, 2019, 06:40:01 pm by Jonathan »
Taylor isn't a striker and wasn't at a club so he cannot have been one of the two strikers Moore referred to. Hoden has either misunderstood or just put the information out incorrectly.

The interview is on the Football Heaven website in full audio. Liam Hoden hasn’t misconstrued what was said. What was said was reported.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 12, 2019, 06:47:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
Talking of planning a head if Herbie is going to a league 1 club on loan then put in a bid and sign him from Liverpool he will triple in price at least if he leads us to promotion

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 12, 2019, 06:49:18 pm by vaya »
Talking of planning a head if Herbie is going to a league 1 club on loan then put in a bid and sign him from Liverpool he will triple in price at least if he leads us to promotion

With the best will in the world Steve, if Kane accepts a permanent deal at any League One club, he'd need to shoot his agent.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on August 12, 2019, 06:54:31 pm by steve@dcfd »

With the best will in the world Steve, if Kane accepts a permanent deal at any League One club, he'd need to shoot his agent.
I appreciate that

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 14, 2019, 01:22:19 am by Danmckay456 »
Surely The club are looking at getting players in as quickly as possible if we haven’t put bids in why ??? Selling your best striker and no replacement I can’t think how that would help the team.

If we have money to spend why are we not making moves in the transfer market or are we aiming to high for players who we have no chance of getting and need to look closer to the actual league we are in.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on August 14, 2019, 06:43:49 am by dickos1 »
We’ve put two bids in for strikers, both bids were accepted but this was two weeks ago now

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 14, 2019, 08:24:57 am by redarmy82 »
We’ve put two bids in for strikers, both bids were accepted but this was two weeks ago now

I notice Liam Hoden, or any journo hasn't asked DM the question directly about these two bids. They just ask general questions about new players.

These deals are dead in the water.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 14, 2019, 08:26:14 am by Filo »

Exactly, talk is cheap, theres no point putting bids in if theres no chance they’ll come, may as well put bids in for Ronaldo and Messi, the bids would be in but they’ll never come

TinyPortal © 2005-2012