Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:03:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 1989  (Read 3121 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« on August 12, 2019, 08:55:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Back at OBV.

Used to be a miserable old get stand just behind me.

The moment we lost the first tackle of a game, or miss placed a pass, he'd let out this yelp of existential angst, with always the same 5 words. "Oh, here we gu again!"

Used to be quite amusing. Only had to listen to it for a bit once a fortnight though.

Then, in that very same year, that bas**rd Tim Bernars-Lee invented the Worldwide web.

Now it's piped into my f**king face 20-fold, morning, noon and f**king night.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
Re: 1989
« Reply #1 on August 12, 2019, 09:01:49 pm by Nudga »
It's becoming very dull and tiresome isn't it. I'm losing the will to live coming on here.
It used to be a bit of a giggle, talk about footy, get the odd bit of gossip or rumour.
Now it's full of whiny little bas**rds that want new shiny expensive things AND THEY f**kIN WANT IT NOW GODDAM IT!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 12, 2019, 09:03:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thanks for making me laugh! Lol.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 12, 2019, 09:03:46 pm by pib »
On the other hand, there was always one bloke at BV that would shout “ALL O’ER EM” seconds after a Rovers had gone through the unshakeable routine of kicking off with a pass back to the central midfielder and a long punt into the left channel. That’s positivity for ya.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 12, 2019, 09:07:37 pm by redarmy82 »
It's becoming very dull and tiresome isn't it. I'm losing the will to live coming on here.
It used to be a bit of a giggle, talk about footy, get the odd bit of gossip or rumour.
Now it's full of whiny little bas**rds that want new shiny expensive things AND THEY f**kIN WANT IT NOW GODDAM IT!!

Don't come on then. Simple isn't it?

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 12, 2019, 09:08:40 pm by Spud »
Agree, it's tough reading this forum of late, half of me wants to rant, the other just to log out for a month.
Ger it forad  !!!!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 12, 2019, 09:09:35 pm by Nudga »

Don't come on then. Simple isn't it?

Who rattled your shiny new cage?

Fulham Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 12, 2019, 09:38:14 pm by Fulham Rover »
Back at OBV.

The moment we lost the first tackle of a game, or miss placed a pass, he'd let out this yelp of existential angst, with always the same 5 words. "Oh, here we gu again!"

Used to be quite amusing. Only had to listen to it for a bit once a fortnight though.

Then, in that very same year, that bas**rd Tim Bernars-Lee invented the Worldwide web.

Back at OBV.

One of the funniest posts on here for quite some time!! Certainly lifted the mood of this place at the moment.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 12, 2019, 09:42:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
And it's the same old Rodney Plonkers isn't it. Only happy when they're miserable.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 12, 2019, 09:58:20 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Back at OBV.

Remember those days well mate... and sad to say a spot on post and sentiment too I'm afraid to say..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 12, 2019, 10:01:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Back at OBV.

Remember those days well mate... and sad to say a spot on post and sentiment too I'm afraid to say..

He had a mate as well. First time we played a ball more than 20 yards he'd shout, "Awww, BANG!"

They were like Stadtler and Waldorf on 60 Park Drives a day and without the mischievous grins.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 12, 2019, 10:13:31 pm by dknward2 »
The good thing was if they pissed you off you could easily find somewhere else to stand. The negativity is really starting to piss me off, yeah we have got of to a slow start but we are in a damm sight better position than some.

If you don't like it then maybe modern football isn't for you or maybe follow a team that's willing to spend millions every transfer window in the premier League

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 12, 2019, 10:22:18 pm by Prez »
My fave was "ruddy rubbish Cusack, its disgraceful" from a bloke on the mainstand terrace during the late 80s every home game.

Funny thing is he had a point.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 12, 2019, 10:24:19 pm by IDM »
Cusack, technically speaking and from my memory, was actually w**k..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 12, 2019, 10:48:11 pm by RoversAlias »
Thanks for the late night laugh, BST. So so true and very well put. I can't remember it being as bad on the forum to be honest and I've been posting for 10 years, the hysteria is off the charts.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 13, 2019, 12:20:30 pm by Lesonthewest »
On the popside we had a bloke who I still see now & again who'd shout 'referree' at every decision, funny as fek.

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 13, 2019, 12:39:51 pm by Shawndrfc »
There used to be a bloke who sat behind me and my dad, he would should abuse at Copps all the time but would refer to him "Number 26" - Copps could be having a worldie, miss place one pass and he would pipe up.

We would just burst out laughing every mistake copps made because we knew what was coming.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 13, 2019, 01:06:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Best crack I ever heard at OBV.

We had a shot that went into the side netting. Bloke in front of me thought we'd scored and went mad.

Everybody around him burst out laughing. When he calmed down he said "Sorry lads. I suffer from premature congratulation."

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 13, 2019, 01:09:28 pm by IDM »
“Bloke in front of me” eh.?

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 13, 2019, 01:56:00 pm by Move DRFC »
There used to be a bloke who sat behind me and my dad, he would should abuse at Copps all the time but would refer to him "Number 26" - Copps could be having a worldie, miss place one pass and he would pipe up.

We would just burst out laughing every mistake copps made because we knew what was coming.

South West corner? Sounds like the same guy we sat behind. Was hilarious - we used to call him the Coppinger guy. He's a nice bloke but was hilarious how much he slated Copps.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 13, 2019, 02:08:05 pm by nightporter »
It's the Football Manager(game) generation. They win the Champions league twice with Rovers and think they know best. They want to sell and buy 10 new players every transfer window.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 13, 2019, 02:13:42 pm by rtid88 »
Best posts on this forum for months.....   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 13, 2019, 02:21:56 pm by Shawndrfc »

South West corner? Sounds like the same guy we sat behind. Was hilarious - we used to call him the Coppinger guy. He's a nice bloke but was hilarious how much he slated Copps.

Yeah south west corner, he was fine rest of time just proper had it in for Copps, "Bloody hell 26 what you playing at" still makes me laugh now.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 13, 2019, 04:45:53 pm by scawsby steve »

Yeah south west corner, he was fine rest of time just proper had it in for Copps, "Bloody hell 26 what you playing at" still makes me laugh now.

You've hit the nail on the head there Shawn; a lot of people show disrespect to a player they don't like by calling them by their number instead of their name. A bloke sat near me last season, who didn't rate Marquis, continually referred to him as "number 9".

Absolutely pathetic.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 13, 2019, 04:50:10 pm by drfchound »

If it was the south west corner I reckon I also know who it was/ is.
Has he gone missing at the present time?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 13, 2019, 11:28:08 pm by RoversAlias »
The Coppinger-hating bloke still goes, walked past him the other week. In my head he's known as "26 bloke". I also used to sit just in front of him in the SW corner.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 14, 2019, 10:29:58 am by Move DRFC »

If it was the south west corner I reckon I also know who it was/ is.
Has he gone missing at the present time?

Yeah I still see him quite regularly at games.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 14, 2019, 10:33:38 am by nightporter »

You've hit the nail on the head there Shawn; a lot of people show disrespect to a player they don't like by calling them by their number instead of their name. A bloke sat near me last season, who didn't rate Marquis, continually referred to him as "number 9".

Absolutely pathetic.

Perhaps he couldn't pronounce Marquis. I've heard multiple pronunciations of it.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 14, 2019, 10:46:53 am by wing commander »
   This thread has rekindled memories of people from the old belle vue days,with their comments and conversation.Some proper characters..My favourite was someone we called "Cammy's dad" because whatever Campbell did,he thought he was brilliant..We used to take the micky out of him for being mad,but over time we got to know him and his misses,had a few beers pre match and had a great laugh with them..

And that's the beauty of football because in normal life their is no way we would have known them,different generation etc etc...Sadly he passed a few years ago

I think that's what I personally miss most about grounds like old belle vue,somehow that connection with people doesn't seem to happen so much in these modern grounds...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 14, 2019, 12:29:36 pm by drfchound »
Oh I don’t know about that wingco.
There are plenty of decent people who sit near me in the South Stand.
I have got to know some of them very well over the years.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012