Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:19:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chris Brown interview  (Read 1988 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Chris Brown interview
« on May 19, 2020, 01:31:08 pm by NickDRFC »
Decent read in the Free Press. Interesting that he name checked Herita Ilunga as a model pro during The Experiment - I thought he was absolutely useless and didn’t give the impression that he gave much of a toss on the pitch!

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/nostalgia/phone-call-destiny-comedy-show-and-career-saving-discovery-chris-brown-talks-his-first-two-seasons-back-doncaster-rovers-2857433

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Chris Brown interview
« Reply #1 on May 19, 2020, 01:45:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
Lots of people seem to have that view about Ilunga. I always thought he was pretty ok but such is life. Every interview about this shambles always has someone citing Beye as really taking the piss. Can’t deny he was fairly decent though. Mind he gave away some awful penalties that season. I don’t think there were too many that season who were obviously not trying, just not really an ideal situation for anyone. That season is almost as bad as 1997/98 in terms of rank unprofessionalism from pretty much start to finish. The parade of lads who were pushed through that season. Madness.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:12:31 pm by Chris Black come back »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 19, 2020, 02:39:01 pm by RoversAlias »
Good interview, always liked hearing what Browny had to say.

I too am surprised by Ilunga but then, Diouf is proof that how those Experiment players were on the field doesn't necessarily reflect how they were off of it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 19, 2020, 08:15:45 pm by drfchound »
I have been watching some re runs of Rovers games lately and that has reinforced my memories of how good a player Brownie was for us.
He was so composed and strong.

On the subject of that experiment season, I spent quite a bit of time at Cantley Park between February and April when the club were helping me to recover from a badly broken leg and ankle and it was very obvious that the regular lads and most of the “imports” weren’t getting on.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 19, 2020, 09:51:39 pm by idler »
Chris Brown's performance when we beat Swindon Town at home that season was faultless. He ran his blood to water and led the line brilliantly.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 19, 2020, 10:05:38 pm by IDM »
If only every player put the same shift as Browny did, eh.?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 20, 2020, 01:13:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Chris Brown's performance when we beat Swindon Town at home that season was faultless. He ran his blood to water and led the line brilliantly.

I was about to write about the same game Idler. Swindon were a serious promotion contender. Brown simply dominated their defence that day. It was the sort of performance that, as a fan of the losing side, you'd look at and think "No way could we have won against players like that. They are out of our league."

Brown is up there in the top 10 players I've seen in my nearly-50 years watching us. And that performance was his best.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 20, 2020, 09:20:36 am by idler »
He pulled their defence all over the pitch that day and got no protection whatever from the ref. He was fouled no end of times and got almost nothing but got pulled up for a few 50/50s himself.
My other memory is Paddy Madden getting mouthy with Rob Jones. It was laughable to see him big timing it.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 20, 2020, 11:48:12 am by pib »
He did that regularly for us Browny. Superb line-leader. The Sheffield United away performance (0-0 in 2012/13) was a proper display from him as well. Slim pickings going forward for Rovers that night but every time the ball went up to him he held it up, occupied defenders, and gave our defence a breather from heading the ball out of our box. He was fantastic in that 13/14 Championship season too.

I could never really understand why it didn't always work out with him in his spells at Norwich/Blackburn (probably injuries) because I always thought he was brilliant both for us, and against us when he played for Preston.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 21, 2020, 04:35:16 pm by moses »
His Undr the Cosh You tube videos are very good.
Lots of ex Rovers on it. Richie Wellens on recently.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 21, 2020, 05:06:22 pm by elmsallrover »
Ritchie wellans was on last nights show talking about Chris saying he should hit 20/25 goals a season having great foot work for a big lad but the problem with Chris was that he was never in the box always down the channels left or right he said I always told him to stay in the box but he never did

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 23, 2020, 04:59:23 pm by Branton Rover »
Having watched Rovers forty years Browny would be in my first 11 especially if I chose to play with two strikers - he’s that good

TinyPortal © 2005-2012