Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:49:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?  (Read 33728 times)

Rovers91

• Forum Member
Re: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?
« Reply #210 on July 17, 2018, 09:03:54 pm by Rovers91 »
I hope he's not serious about only looking to bring a striker in, we are crying out for strengthening in defence and midfield.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #211 on July 17, 2018, 09:14:37 pm by Not Now Kato »
Hasn't McCann said he's finished with the transfer market. He did. We have a team no better than last year
         Fergie new how to get out of this division, McCann doesn't. Why change, McCann is cheaper, he has a desire and willingness to play the kids, cheaper than Fergies quality players, All McCann has done is switch to 433 and we've only one strìker. He's not spent any money at all one in one out, if you look Dosnt look good to me. Personally can we really afford a championship budget. Or is it just marketing by the board,
     The board know the costs and the answer to that one.
    We need investment a take over.
               Until then we are just a football team   Too good for div2 not good enough for a top 6 div 1

Yes, Fergie got us out of this league at the first time of asking.

Cruel, but fair....

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #212 on July 17, 2018, 09:27:49 pm by Jonathan »
I find the suggestion that we’re not looking to bring in any more players really really disappointing. I’ll never be one of the people that gets on the owners’ backs as I’m grateful to them for so much. But as a fan I really wanted us to have a good go this season. Personally I was disappointed that we didn’t bring Houghton in on a permanent. But to not even replace him is baffling.

I understand why McCann wouldn’t want to spend all his budget in one go. But he can hardly have touched it. We are weaker than last season and it’s so disappointing that it sounds like that won’t change.

I suppose there’s the faint hope that someone is bluffing.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on July 17, 2018, 09:29:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
Need more central midfielders. We are in age now where ‘two up top’ doesn’t exist so can accept what we have there, but we are virtually non-existent in central midfield.

Needs more work McCann C+.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #214 on July 17, 2018, 09:37:28 pm by Paul Simpson »
In all fairness to the owners it’s their money that’s being spent but personally I would have liked to have seen at least 1 proven goal scoring striker to help out Marquis who has been fantastic by the way. I realise they don’t come cheap but surely they have budgeted for willo’s spot?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #215 on July 17, 2018, 09:40:00 pm by steve@dcfd »
GM is looking for a forward player.
He is happy with the midfield players he has.
Wanted AG but Peterborough want to much money.
Resources are their if GM feels he needs to bring in player that are better than what he has.
Both GM and GB believe they have the resources for atop six finish.
GM believes he has the players for top six finish.
Players committed to the way he wants to play.
JM not for sale don’t need or want to sell him.
ML kept because he will challenge NM.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:42:09 pm by steve@dcfd »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #216 on July 17, 2018, 09:43:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
GM is looking for a forward player.
He is happy with the midfield players he has.
Wanted AG but Peterborough want to much money.
Resources are their if GM feels he needs to bring in player that are better than what he has.
Both GM and GB believe they have the resources for atop six finish.
GM believes he has the players for top six finish.
Players committed to the way he wants to play.
JM not for sale don’t need or want to sell him.
ML kept because he will challenge NM.

Guessing that's a few snippets from tonight's AGM. Seems reasonable. What was your impression?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on July 17, 2018, 09:47:41 pm by steve@dcfd »
He came across has confident manager who totally believes he the way he wants to play.
Expansive, high pressing game wants to out score other teams.
GB gave him his full backing.
Both answered the questions well even the ones I asked although I have reservations GM comes across that he hasn’t, he’s the manager.

He likes the attitude of the first year professionals who have shown up well in training.
He has  seen 13 / 14 years old training and believes the infrastructure is there and been started by DF.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:53:35 pm by steve@dcfd »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on July 17, 2018, 09:50:53 pm by Copps is Magic »
@liamhoden
Stand out points of note:
McCann wants a cup run and will urge Rovers to go to win the Checkatrade Trophy. “I won’t be playing a U18 side on those Tuesday nights.”
Also believes both Luke McCullough and Ben Whiteman are better than Jordan Houghton #drfc

That answers some of the points raised on here. He has put his faith in Whiteman/McCullough as the holding midfielder. Not saying he's right but he's nailed his colour to the mast.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #219 on July 17, 2018, 09:56:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I thought Whiteman played that position really well a couple of times last season in Houghton's absence. He was one of a number of players who were asked to play different positions last season and as we all thought, it's more difficult to excel if you are being moved about.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #220 on July 17, 2018, 09:58:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
Let us see what happens and a lot can change but we cannot seriously go through a season with Luke and Whiteman as our only central midfielders.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #221 on July 17, 2018, 09:59:29 pm by steve@dcfd »
Don’t think it will be one or the other and I don’t believe what I heard that it will strictly be a holding player role. They will attack together and all will defend together, his words.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on July 17, 2018, 10:02:04 pm by mushRTID »
Didnt rate Whiteman defensively, too slow to close people down and it led to a fair few goals from memory.

He’s also our best finisher from outside the box. These comments concern me.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on July 17, 2018, 10:02:44 pm by RedJ »
Christ. Whiteman is best used when he's allowed to push on. He's not a defensive midfielder.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on July 17, 2018, 10:03:13 pm by Chris Black come back »
Number, variety and capability all low I am afraid. Was our weakness last season and unaddressed this close season thus far - lot can change mind.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on July 17, 2018, 10:04:37 pm by Copps is Magic »
Don’t think it will be one or the other and I don’t believe what I heard that it will strictly be a holding player role. They will attack together and all will defend together, his words.

Aye, yeah, that's the ideal isn't it? But in reality no team plays like that.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on July 17, 2018, 10:06:22 pm by steve@dcfd »
Number, variety and capability all low I am afraid. Was our weakness last season and unaddressed this close season thus far - lot can change mind.

Nothing said tonight like that but I wouldn’t be surprised if things changed we will have wait and see before Aug 4th or even 9th.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #227 on July 17, 2018, 10:11:25 pm by RedJ »

At least we'll know Marquis has been TOLD to drop as deep as the centre halfs (halves?) next season... :laugh:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #228 on July 17, 2018, 10:15:56 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I guess in a 433 he has options but is there depth given he has.just one brought in and two going out?I can see why he's after a forward first. Lose Marquis and we are stuffed.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on July 17, 2018, 10:17:11 pm by steve@dcfd »

At least we'll know Marquis has been TOLD to drop as deep as the centre halfs (halves?) next season... :laugh:

See we’re joking but what was said he expects 4/5 players in the opposition box  when we are attacking even one full back.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #230 on July 17, 2018, 10:19:01 pm by Jonathan »
I’m hoping for big things from Whiteman this season. He’s a good player and if he’s allowed to express himself a bit more and break forward then I think he’ll get goals from midfield. But we need more strength in there alongside him. There’s only McCullough and that just isn’t enough.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #231 on July 17, 2018, 10:19:46 pm by steve@dcfd »
I guess in a 433 he has options but is there depth given he has.just one brought in and two going out?I can see why he's after a forward first. Lose Marquis and we are stuffed.
According to GB that will not happen. We will not be left in the lurch.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #232 on July 17, 2018, 10:21:28 pm by Alan Southstand »
Not impressed so far.

For an ex midfield player, of some repute, to say he's not looking for midfield players is either a) bluffing, or b) deluded, or c) a mixture of a and b.

Not long left to ensure the answer is a.

Here's hoping, with a capital H.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on July 17, 2018, 10:23:58 pm by RedJ »

See we’re joking but what was said he expects 4/5 players in the opposition box  when we are attacking even one full back.

That sounds terrifying. It'll either be thrilling or an absolute, unmitigated disaster.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on July 17, 2018, 10:25:37 pm by Rovers91 »
Christ. Whiteman is best used when he's allowed to push on. He's not a defensive midfielder.

Hope I'm wrong but sounds like it might be another Fergie with names into a hat for who's playing where.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #235 on July 17, 2018, 10:28:37 pm by Alan Southstand »
That sounds terrifying. It'll either be thrilling or an absolute, unmitigated disaster.

Did he miss the Walsall game when he said he'd watched all our games. We'll be counter-attacked to death!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on July 17, 2018, 10:32:19 pm by steve@dcfd »

Hope I'm wrong but sounds like it might be another Fergie with names into a hat for who's playing where.

You are wrong he knows who going to be playing where and the players know that to and their roles in the team.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #237 on July 17, 2018, 10:33:27 pm by steve@dcfd »

He intends out score the opposition.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on July 17, 2018, 10:34:42 pm by steve@dcfd »
Not impressed so far.

For an ex midfield player, of some repute, to say he's not looking for midfield players is either a) bluffing, or b) deluded, or c) a mixture of a and b.

Not long left to ensure the answer is a.

Here's hoping, with a capital H.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on July 17, 2018, 10:42:05 pm by RoversAlias »

He intends out score the opposition.

I mean, that right there is the whole point of football so I should hope that is his first aim.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012