Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 02:58:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Just great skill  (Read 5184 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Just great skill
« Reply #30 on July 03, 2018, 06:01:56 pm by roversdude »
Wellens could pull out unreal flicks at times. I'm sure there was a one-two between him and Copps where his return pass defied the laws of physics. Think VivaRovers might have made a gif of it.

If it's the one I'm thinking of (was it against Wigan he did this) it was actually a really simple pass (in comparison to what it looked like he did anyway) but he did a pirouette after it which absolutely amazed everyone and made it look much better than in reality it was. Quality.

Might be wrong but was that Forrester and Wellens v Wigan

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 03, 2018, 06:32:13 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
  Billy, you are taking away the fact that Pele was  the first to do it on worldwide T.V. and showed the rest it could be done in big games, the same with the Cruyff turn.
  They were the inspiration, the pull back at speed by Puskas, the step over on the run which I saw Mathews do as a youngster.
  To better them great, like we see at gymnastics every olympics, but to be one of the first, and inspire greatness and improvement in others, that is true greatness.
   The modern footballer has many advantages, diet, equipment, better pitches, they are bigger, faster, and it is now a far more world wide game, but there is very little to be done on a football field that has not been done before.

Dead right, Brian, plus the fact they're now playing in boots that are like carpet slippers, with a ball that's like a balloon.

Luxury

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 03, 2018, 06:45:11 pm by Drover »
Cannot remember who it was against,but it was at the Moat,and Matt Mills had a championship striker in his pocket all match,the striker was so frustrated and close to losing it big time,Matt ended up waving at him with his fingers everytime he stopped him in his tracks and got possession back for us.It was one of the biggest pisstakes I have seen.I reckon the player was suicidal by the end of the match.
Stocky gave me some WOW  moments aswell,his long range shot at Crewe away in JPT was one.Sat direct in line behind his shot and watched it go in top corner.
My first WOW moment was,as a 8/9 year old,watching Glyn snodin,surrounded by 3 opposing players at the corner flag and coming out with the ball to which we all sarcastically cheered.
Theres dozens more from the likes of Copps,Wellens,Macca etc too many to write.In fact,thats just reminded me,how can I forget Copps Hat-trick,must be the just about the biggest WOW moment altogether,Actually 3 WOW moments from the same player in same game.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 03, 2018, 10:45:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby
 I’m saying that ordinary players now do what only exceptional players did in previous generations.

The expectations move on.

Yes Pele was astonishing in 1958. But now, players in the Conference can do what he did. And better. And faster.

Embrace it. Football gets better, every generation. It’s not slagging off Pele and Alick to accept that.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 04, 2018, 09:30:00 am by selby »
  I agree Billy, I thought in a roundabout way that is what I wrote, I also think that the players of the past would, given the advantages the modern game has, would adapt and be great players.
  Some of the great midfielders of the past, and wingers such as Mathews and Garrincha would be revelations. 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 04, 2018, 10:28:36 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby

It’s impossible to know that. Matthews and Garrincha did what they did in an era when players (literally) covered half the distance that they do today and when the game was played at a snail’s pace. You cannot know whether their control, dribbling, distribution, shooting etc would have been high quality if they had to execute it at a higher pace and after running 11-13km in the game.

But I’ll go a bit further. I think that you are deluding yourself as to the ability of players from half a century ago. They simply were not that good, even at the speed that the game was played then.

I’ve used this example as my touchstone for a long time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dpMvd_z69-4

Watch the first 30 seconds. The game is played at walking pace, but there are more unforced mistakes than in 120 mins last night.

Just imaging dropping Coppinger, never mind Mbappe into that 1962 final. It would be terrifying to watch.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:31:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 04, 2018, 12:33:03 pm by selby »
  Billy I give in, because I agree with you about the game and players being so much better prepared and the evolution of the human race being better.
  But they are better because each generation have set the bar higher, the past great players  have set the standard to beat, and thankfully it keeps getting better.
  Even the camera work is better, colour TV. makes the product better, and has probably influenced our take on the modern game as much as the games themselves.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 04, 2018, 12:37:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby. Agreed. Each generation sets the standard. And each generation improves on the previous one. To the extent that the game is unrecognisable from the one it was 50 years back.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 05, 2018, 03:12:26 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The fitness these days compared to old is on a different scale. But then the lightweight ball and indoor bowling pitches have made things totally different. Most of the gazelle like star players now would be injured just kicking the old ball, and would need search parties sending out when they sink in the winter mudpits.

That vid BST linked, does pick up pace. Some classy moves in there.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 05, 2018, 05:49:12 pm by ravenrover »
And yet we still get complaints about pitches ours included

TinyPortal © 2005-2012