Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:33:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The role of the rugby club?  (Read 2572 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
The role of the rugby club?
« on November 09, 2013, 09:54:42 pm by Copps is Magic »
So the rugby club has come out as a key issue in this whole saga. JR stated in his interview that rovers have now bought the dons for £100k. He obviously didn't want to do this and felt undermined by it going through

If rumours are to be believed (and these are just rumours), Watson and Bramall (guided by Baldwin) want to start putting money into the rugby club for reasons believed to do with the fact that it is relatively cheaper to maintain a successful rugby club and that a successful 'sporting club' can potentially be a greater revenue stream for the stadium as a whole along the line. (again - this is all totally conjecture and things I've heard)

Interesting angle to think about when people claim this is all to do with land. Thoughts?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MartinB

Re: The role of the rugby club?
« Reply #1 on November 09, 2013, 10:11:30 pm by MartinB »
Just a shame that if they believed in sporting Club of Doncaster why they never helped the belles?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 09, 2013, 10:21:26 pm by dknward2 »
Maybe the belles wouldnt sell to them

I can understand why to go after the dons they have finished very well last season and the super league is changing again to maybe accept more teams if the dons can get in the super league it will mean a lot more money from higher attendances as drfc control the stadium the money may get put back into drfc or a percent rather than all to the dons

just a thought

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 09, 2013, 10:27:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Likes been said before, Gavin alluded a while ago to making the stadium earn it's potential and, take advantage of as many income streams as possible.

Whatever the investment, you would hope they have taken account of the returns and planned this some time ago, although the announcement probably doesn't sit well at this time, due to the football teams injuries and need for reinforcements.   

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 09, 2013, 10:33:40 pm by newyankee »
 Getting the  Dons into Super League would improve income from attendances, but it would also bring in a lot of money from the Sky Super  League deal.  When I was Secretary at Hunslet I wrote to then Chairman Maurice Lindsay saying that unless each SL club took a smaller club under it's wing the game in general would suffer.

My Chairman at the time was a big friend of ML, they were bookies together. I was hauled over the coals on ML's instructions and told I was wrong.  Ask supporters of teams like Oldham, Featherstone, Halifax, Barrow, etc, if I was wrong.  Prior to Super League they were all prosperous clubs, now they all struggle to find income.

So, if the Dons were able to get a Super League franchise it would increase the income at Doncaster, but it might also put several other clubs out of business.   However, the wages and expenses of full time Rugby players, many from overseas would literally wipe out the increase in income.

We shall have to wait and see  what the future brings, good, bad or indifferent.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 09, 2013, 10:38:47 pm by PDX_Rover »
Making the most of the assets at your disposal (i.e. the stadium) is a sound foundation IMHO. Work with what you've got, get those generating income, and build from there.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 09, 2013, 10:51:23 pm by bedale rover »
Getting the  Dons into Super League would improve income from attendances, but it would also bring in a lot of money from the Sky Super  League deal.  When I was Secretary at Hunslet I wrote to then Chairman Maurice Lindsay saying that unless each SL club took a smaller club under it's wing the game in general would suffer.

My Chairman at the time was a big friend of ML, they were bookies together. I was hauled over the coals on ML's instructions and told I was wrong.  Ask supporters of teams like Oldham, Featherstone, Halifax, Barrow, etc, if I was wrong.  Prior to Super League they were all prosperous clubs, now they all struggle to find income.

So, if the Dons were able to get a Super League franchise it would increase the income at Doncaster, but it might also put several other clubs out of business.   However, the wages and expenses of full time Rugby players, many from overseas would literally wipe out the increase in income.

We shall have to wait and see  what the future brings, good, bad or indifferent.

Couple things

There are no franchises in super league they did have a licensing system with 3 year agreements but that is under review

Super league has a salary cap so in theory they can only spend so much

Because the ARL has a better TV deal the number of antipodeans has dropped dramatically Wigan had only 2 overseas players this season and will only have 2 next season
Super league is exporting more players than importing

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 09, 2013, 10:59:50 pm by newyankee »

Sorry Bedale, the Super League is a closed shop, there are guidelines which have to be met which is why Batley and Halifax were not promoted to Super League. Itf the team due for promotion does not meet the requirements the bottom team stays in SL.

Yes there is a salary cap but many clubs are prepared to pay the fine for breaking it, so lonf g as they reaatain their place.

Wigan had more than two overseas players as you seem to forget that after three years they are not classed on the overseas quota, so they are foreign players but not classed as such.  More will be coming in soon as the NRL is poaching many of our young British talent like the sons of  my late Academy coach at Batley, the Burgess boys.  With the  Australians losing their places they are now flooding the British game again.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 09, 2013, 11:59:56 pm by bedale rover »
Yes there are certain things that clubs must do ground academies etc just like football remember Stevenage being denied promotion?

But they are looking to open it up not sure I agree SL is a good game and getting better

Don't agree about the flood of Australians they can make more money sat in the stands in Sydney than playing in St Helens

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 10, 2013, 12:49:35 am by dickos1 »
If we're struggling like f**k financially to compete at this level, no way should we throwing 100k away to buy a rugby club.
It's ridiculous.
I don't support other Doncaster sports teams so club Doncaster is of no interest, and in my opinion is just something that will just drift away in a year or so, every spare penny they have should be being invested in our playing squad, not ridiculous gimmicks like this

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 10, 2013, 02:42:33 am by newyankee »
 It is not spare money dickos, it is money which Bramall and Watson have decided to put into Doncaster RLFC, as they decide what to do with their own money, they have decided not to put it into the Rovers.

This was the same argument when I got my company to sponsor kids to go to America to play in 1989.  Why give 10,000 quid  to kids, they could give it to the Dons. The trouble was they had no interest in GIVING the money to anyone, it was a  business decision which they got back in free TV and newspaper  coverage.

If TB and DW want to put money anywhere it is theirs to do with as they wish

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 10, 2013, 02:46:53 am by newyankee »
 By the way Bedale, any player from Australia or New Zealand, if they can claim a parent or grandparent came from here, they again do not count on the overseas register. Just check the World Cup teams and the number of "foreigners" playing for Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 10, 2013, 10:52:42 am by dickos1 »
It is theirs to do with as they wish, which is very worrying for the future of our club, cause they don't seem to wish to invest much into the football club.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 10, 2013, 12:54:47 pm by newyankee »
Exactly Dickos, but one man is standing in the way of major investment because he didn't like that someone else brought the investment to the club.  Wait and see, Sequentia will go ahead now JR has "gone".  In the end though, it is theirs to do as they wish, they have "earned it".

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 10, 2013, 01:42:45 pm by Alickismyhero »
NY,

I am reserving my final judgement on this TO until we hear the other side of the story. Everyone has been forming an opinion on one sided information leaked by an unknown individual, unknown? I think not.

The key man for me is Gavin he has to earn his stripes and I believe he will do well.

Its the team that needs help right now, 4th bottom, poor form, injuries and turmoil in the boardroom there is nothing new in that, been there and got the tee shirt.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 10, 2013, 05:16:29 pm by grayx »
So the rugby club has come out as a key issue in this whole saga. JR stated in his interview that rovers have now bought the dons for £100k. He obviously didn't want to do this and felt undermined by it going through

If rumours are to be believed (and these are just rumours), Watson and Bramall (guided by Baldwin) want to start putting money into the rugby club for reasons believed to do with the fact that it is relatively cheaper to maintain a successful rugby club and that a successful 'sporting club' can potentially be a greater revenue stream for the stadium as a whole along the line. (again - this is all totally conjecture and things I've heard)

Interesting angle to think about when people claim this is all to do with land. Thoughts?

Shit.
I find this very worrying... but unfortunately very believable. If its true, I can see Rovers  falling quicker than Ashley Young in a penalty area.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 10, 2013, 05:19:41 pm by Wellred »

Shit.
I find this very worrying... but unfortunately very believable. If its true, I can see Rovers  falling quicker than Ashley Young in a penalty area.

Now you are being silly  ;)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 10, 2013, 10:18:53 pm by BobG »
Organisations, of any sort but certainly including footy clubs, very, very rarely do well when the boardroom is in chaos. Given the leaks we've suffered for months now, and the blindingly obvious source of them, it's the behaviour of that individual that should be concerning folk. He has put the running of the club seriously in question this season at least no matter what the issue is between the board members. There's ways of dealing with things that would have been far, far better for the club. And he's chosen not to adopt even one of them. And that suggests a man following his own agenda - not that of the club - which should be of huge concern to all of us.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012