Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:37:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dons Takeover Confirmed  (Read 2900 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Dons Takeover Confirmed
« on November 20, 2013, 05:03:16 pm by The Red Baron »
http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-dons-1186043.aspx

I wonder if this means the "takeover" by Sequentia is now dead in the water?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
Re: Dons Takeover Confirmed
« Reply #1 on November 20, 2013, 05:08:41 pm by scaley back rover »
not according to DFP on twitter. Though time will tell i suppose wether sc buy the club or not
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:21:12 pm by scaley back rover »

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 20, 2013, 05:11:25 pm by glosterred »

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 20, 2013, 07:31:03 pm by newyankee »

I have just noticed that London Broncos have or are going into administration. This could well mean them going into a lower division and a franchise for Super League being open. Maybe why we have now done rthe deed as with Bramall and Watson, or Sequentia, they could see an immediate return on the money spent.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 20, 2013, 07:35:54 pm by podrover73 »

I have just noticed that London Broncos have or are going into administration. This could well mean them going into a lower division and a franchise for Super League being open. Maybe why we have now done rthe deed as with Bramall and Watson, or Sequentia, they could see an immediate return on the money spent.

The way that rugby league is set up would not be surprised to see Halifax fast tracked back up to the super league - it is a shoddy set up and I worry for the day when this happens in football

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 20, 2013, 07:38:12 pm by newyankee »
Halifax and Featherstone are good teams but they do not have the people in place and finance to go for Super League. With the Rovers now owning them they can tick all the RFL boxes straight away.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 20, 2013, 07:44:10 pm by dknward2 »

The way that rugby league is set up would not be surprised to see Halifax fast tracked back up to the super league - it is a shoddy set up and I worry for the day when this happens in football

the last bit ''I worry for the day when this happens in football'' it has already happened with the bells being kicked out and man city being put in their place even though i believe sunderland had finish top of league one for the past two seasons (iam sure viva can confirm or edit this)

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 20, 2013, 07:48:56 pm by podrover73 »

the last bit ''I worry for the day when this happens in football'' it has already happened with the bells being kicked out and man city being put in their place even though i believe sunderland had finish top of league one for the past two seasons (iam sure viva can confirm or edit this)

I know Dknward2 , it has crept into the women's game and I think it will be time to stop being interested when the men's game is tinkered with.

Can see it now Rovers eventually get their chance to play in the Premiership and the FA block the Rovers going up because only 7,000 fans watch them and they let Leeds go up in our place cos they won the European Cup once lol 

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #8 on November 20, 2013, 07:49:35 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
It would be good to see the Rovers in Super League...
Featherstone Rovers that is, and then reinstate promotion so the Dons can join them the season after.
The Dons v the likes of Fev, Cas and Wakey In 2015...wonderful!!!

I am afraid that propping up a nomadic London franchise in the shadow of Union and several Premier League clubs isnt working.

The best places for Siper League expansion: south yorkshire, cumbria and toulouse.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 20, 2013, 07:56:30 pm by LincolnDonny »

It HAS already happened in the football league.
A NEW team was started in Milton Keynes, and put straight into the league without even playing a game before!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:06:51 pm by LincolnDonny »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 20, 2013, 08:05:44 pm by dknward2 »
podrover73 hope you know i wasn't arguing or correcting you i just thought it was worth mentioning, as lincolndonny says about mk i just hope this never happens again

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 20, 2013, 08:08:15 pm by newyankee »
Got to say Longbridge, I am not too sure about Wakey, Fev and Cas as I can see Wakefield doing something similar to London if things there don't improve. That would makke two spaces available.

There is no one attached to Halifax with the money to bankroll them, unless, Tony Gartland re-emerges, but I doubt that.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 20, 2013, 08:17:24 pm by podrover73 »
podrover73 hope you know i wasn't arguing or correcting you i just thought it was worth mentioning, as lincolndonny says about mk i just hope this never happens again
no worries dknward2 , I am aware it has crept into the men's game too, no offence taken

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 20, 2013, 08:23:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
You would hope that the powers that be at Rovers/Dons have given this a lot of thought and, if there is an opportunity to exploited then why not.

I have really enjoyed my few visits to watch the Dons and will hopefully make it more often. Sometimes it's a nice contrast to the 'Rovers' experience (and it's a bonus being able to have a nice relaxing pint whilst doing so!)

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 20, 2013, 08:55:55 pm by bedale rover »
Got to say Longbridge, I am not too sure about Wakey, Fev and Cas as I can see Wakefield doing something similar to London if things there don't improve. That would makke two spaces available.

There is no one attached to Halifax with the money to bankroll them, unless, Tony Gartland re-emerges, but I doubt that.

I remember the suggestion some years ago that cas fev and wakey merge into one side
Looking from the outside seemed a good idea lots of league fans in a small area being split between 3 teams

Build a new stadium near glasshoughton just off the M62 with a modicum of sense from all parties could be a powerhouse

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 20, 2013, 09:39:32 pm by Dagenham Rover »
So they built a new asda instead

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 21, 2013, 09:14:23 am by DRNaith »
Always had a soft spot for the Dons, hope this gives them stability.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 21, 2013, 10:41:49 am by CusworthRovers »
Agreed. Also a Dons supporter, but only get to about 4-5-6 games per season.

I'm glad they've got this lifeline.

Some of my family members are born and bred die-hard fans of The Dons. They are ok with the takeover, but against any kit or name change. I've argued I can see at least one of those 2 things having to change (if not both).

Most of The Dons fan base are old timers and very much 'fear change'. I hope they accept and grasp this new modern ideology of money needed to survive.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012