Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:25:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Referees, 'The Untouchables'?  (Read 2610 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Referees, 'The Untouchables'?
« on January 11, 2014, 10:54:14 am by Colin C No.3 »
I think referees ought to make themselves 'available' to explain the reason for decisions/non decisions given in a game to the TV camera's in order that we, as supporters, might 'See thee more clearly, love thee more dearly'.

It might also just help to 'focus their minds' a little more in the knowledge that they may have to explain to millions of viewers..why?

The standard of refereeing in The Championship & Premiership is definitely of a poorer standard than ever before IMO. Why should ref's be 'protected' from the glare of the post match analysis?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Referees, 'The Untouchables'?
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2014, 10:56:20 am by Filo »
I think assessor reports should be freely available as well

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 11, 2014, 11:13:23 am by graingrover »
Football could take a leaf out of rugby's book but the two International Federations are far apart. Rugby reviews it's rules regularly to ensure the game flows but also to ensure it remains understandable and fair . Tv replays  ensure critical score decisions are correct ,and referees are wired up so everyone can hear what is going on .

The gretest difference  between the two sports remains the behaviour of the crowds .... despite the fact the rugby crowd can drink on the terraces .

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 11, 2014, 11:20:07 am by Bentley Bullet »
Poor performances by referees and linesmen should be assessed to define whether they were down to cheating or just sheer incompetence.

I suspect the former prevails more often in Rovers games, when the officials  favour the opposition in Championship games. If those displays were down to incompetence they wouldn't be so one sided in their support for the other team.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 11, 2014, 12:25:52 pm by VivaRovers »
I've never understood this argument because the decisions a referee makes are effectively self-explanatory. It would make for pretty boring television viewing.

"Can you explain, why you gave that penalty?"
"I viewed it as a foul in the penalty area, therefore a penalty"

"Why didn't you give a free-kick to City in the twelfth minute?"
"I didn't see any offence committed against City in the twelfth minute that would have warranted a free-kick as punishment, hence not giving a free-kick"

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 11, 2014, 12:42:23 pm by WBDRFC »
I think referees ought to make themselves 'available' to explain the reason for decisions/non decisions given in a game to the TV camera's in order that we, as supporters, might 'See thee more clearly, love thee more dearly'.

It might also just help to 'focus their minds' a little more in the knowledge that they may have to explain to millions of viewers..why?

The standard of refereeing in The Championship & Premiership is definitely of a poorer standard than ever before IMO. Why should ref's be 'protected' from the glare of the post match analysis?

That would increase the already intense pressure on referees. People under intense pressure will make more mistakes - not less. To improve the standard there should be less scrutiny of every decision and a change in the laws to allow common sense. As for thinking than the standard is worse than before, you only have to look at what used to take place in the 1st Division in the 1970s to see that's not the case - it's simply because the media scrutiny is much greater so we notice the mistakes more.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 11, 2014, 09:34:58 pm by Dagenham Rover »

That would increase the already intense pressure on referees. People under intense pressure will make more mistakes - not less. To improve the standard there should be less scrutiny of every decision and a change in the laws to allow common sense. As for thinking than the standard is worse than before, you only have to look at what used to take place in the 1st Division in the 1970s to see that's not the case - it's simply because the media scrutiny is much greater so we notice the mistakes more.

So release the pressure and give them tools to help them make the decision, Goal line technology  and video replays which take seconds now

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 12, 2014, 12:06:10 pm by WBDRFC »
So release the pressure and give them tools to help them make the decision, Goal line technology  and video replays which take seconds now

I wouldn't be surprised if goal line technology makes its way into the Football League in a couple of years, as it seems to be working in the Premier League. The only downside in the FL is the cost. I can't see League 1 and 2 clubs wanting to pay for the technology, and I wouldn't think the FL would introduce it just for the Championship.

Video replays would be a disaster - too much stop/start every time there is a debatable decision - for tackles, goal kicks/corners, throw-ins (a dodgy throw-in can affect a game). What happens if there is a tackle in a penalty area, and the other team go up the other end of the field and score, but then a video replay shows the tackle should be a penalty? Often the pundits on MOTD and Sky cannot agree on a decision so it wouldn't eradicate questionable decisions. At most FL games there is one camera for the TV companies and one for the clubs. Unless you have multiple cameras to see every incident from at least 3 or 4 angles (like the Premier League), it's not going to be much of a benefit.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:08:42 pm by WBDRFC »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 12, 2014, 01:08:32 pm by graingrover »
They could introduce the same procedure that is used at top level rugby union for tries for goal and penalty decisions that are in doubt . 

Donny_Ipstone

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 12, 2014, 01:54:05 pm by Donny_Ipstone »
There is no doubt that referees are the bane of the Donny fan's existence. They are a scourge and pestilence and the sooner the human referee is replaced by technology the better.

Moreover I have long advocated that the outmoded way of determining the results of football matches should be put in the hands of the true experts, namely the fans who attend matches. Each paying fan could be given a remote controller with buttons he or she could press for a goal, foul etc. A central computer would collect the various button pushes and sound a whistle or hooter if 50% or more of the fans present awarded a goal, free kick, penalty or whatever. It favours the home side true but it would give the paying punter what he or she wants.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:00:29 pm by Donny_Ipstone »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 12, 2014, 03:31:16 pm by bobjimwilly »
Video replays would be a disaster - too much stop/start every time there is a debatable decision - for tackles, goal kicks/corners, throw-ins (a dodgy throw-in can affect a game).

Where there's a will, there's a way. In the states head coaches get 3 red flags. So you can request a review by the ref as long as you have a red flag. Get the decision overturned (when the manager is correct) you keep you flag, otherwise you lose a flag.

Maybe just introduce a video replay for penalties to begin with? Have a monitor at the side of the pitch that the ref can easily get to, and there you go.

Anyway, it's not like games run smooth without stoppage these days anyway. The game was stopped about 15 times yesterday because Blackburn players kept falling over! And the fans would get better value for money with the games lasting that bit longer.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 12, 2014, 06:17:36 pm by RedJ »
The fourth official could always man the monitor, after all, what else does he actually do?

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 12, 2014, 07:58:55 pm by dijit8 »
I think a lot of ref's would like the chance to explain but Mike Riley won't let them.

I think the fact they are not allowed to comment doesn't help them and frustrates the clubs, the managers and supporters.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 12, 2014, 08:21:40 pm by CrippyCooke »
When players, managers and fans start showing match officials the respect that they undoubtedly deserve then I would agree with this. Sadly we're a worryingly long way from that.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 12, 2014, 08:31:46 pm by RedJ »
Rugby have it right with regards to refereeing. Only the captain and the player of their team involved with the incident can approach the referee, and only when asked to.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 12, 2014, 08:32:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I reckon some of our refs are the best that money can buy.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 13, 2014, 03:00:50 pm by Colin C No.3 »
They could introduce the same procedure that is used at top level rugby union for tries for goal and penalty decisions that are in doubt . 

My avatar has gone global!!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 14, 2014, 07:01:47 pm by i_ateallthepies »
BB you're a very naughty boy!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012