Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:36:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chris Brown  (Read 3003 times)

woodyrovers

• VSC Member
Chris Brown
« on May 02, 2013, 09:05:19 am by woodyrovers »
There has been lots of a focus on Coppinger quite rightly because of his long standing loyalty to the club and his goal, but I have just reminded myself that the last time we finished champions of a league Chris Brown was also part of the team. I remember him making a big impact that season at a crucial time and I just checked that he scored 10 goals in 22 matches. When he first came back to the club I was a little unsure about him. He looked overweight and a little sluggish but this year he has been transformed and is one of our unsung heroes in my view. He has been great at holding up the ball, full of runnng and scored some great strikers goals. I think he is out of contract. He is on my list to be signed up for next season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: Chris Brown
« Reply #1 on May 02, 2013, 09:25:06 am by Mr1Croft »
He has been in my opinion the best front line leader we have had in our squad in a long time. He isn't the most prolific of goal-scorers but as you say his holding up the ball and bringing others into play has been second to none. He is also pretty fast considering his size. He has worked his socks off in every game and when he has been absent this season we have missed him.

He was my player of the season, just ahead of the corporal Jones.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 02, 2013, 09:26:52 am by Dutch Uncle »
Was about to post something similar - agree totally Woody

In addition I can find only 5 other players in Rovers history to have played in 2 championship winning teams:

Sid Bycroft (41 apps 46-7 & 42 apps 49-50)
Paul Todd (40 apps 46-7 & 42 apps 49-50)
Bert Tindill (9 apps 46-7 & 42 apps 49-50)
Alick Jeffrey (38 apps 65-6 & 25 apps 68-9)
Bob Gilfillan (29 apps 65-6 & 34 apps 68-9)

Not sure if Tindill got 2 medals

But None of the above had a father who played for the Rovers :thumbsup:

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 02, 2013, 11:59:23 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Best leader of a forward line in my time watching Rovers

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 02, 2013, 12:07:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not only is he a physical line leader, he has always had a wonderful football brain and quick feet. Back in 03/04, it was a joy to watch him rapidly switching feet as he drew tackles, glided away from them and made openings. For me, the only player we have had in modern times who has quicker dribbling feet than Brown did in 03/04 is Coppinger.

Brown's lost some of his nimbleness of foot as he's filled out, but we've seen flashes of that occasionally this season. Combine that, his reading of the game, his physical presence and the fact that he never outs in less than a double shift and, as I said a few weeks ago, he is up there with Alan Warboys and Ernie Moss in the three best line-leading Mesters we have had in my lifetime. His performances away at Bramall Lane and at home to Swindon were utterly magnificent.

Now. Where's that dick saying we are a two-man team?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:09:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 02, 2013, 12:27:03 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
It's a big ask for Browny to play 50 games a season so we'll need some back up in that target man role.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 02, 2013, 12:28:12 pm by acacia94 »
Also should praise his attitude. Particularly away from home he gets a right battering and spends much of his time having the back of his shirt in the fist of the opponents centre back – see the Crewe away game. To keep your cool for 90 mins of that and do what he does his top dollar. Browny has been bloody brilliant this season.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 02, 2013, 12:28:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Browny edged it for my player of the season. I remember when he was with us on loan from Sunderland, thinking how unbelievable it would be for us to sign him permanently. That would have been an unrealistic dream at the time.

Now we are big enough and good enough to have a player of his caliber, it brings it home to me just how far we have come as a club.

I also liken him to Alan Warboys. Similar in build, pace and style, I think he can emulate him and eventually drop back as a centre back like Warboys did in the later stages of his career.

I for one hope he does and stays with us for many years to come - LEGEND

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 02, 2013, 01:00:22 pm by Wellred »
He has been in my opinion the best front line leader we have had in our squad in a long time. He isn't the most prolific of goal-scorers but as you say his holding up the ball and bringing others into play has been second to none. He is also pretty fast considering his size. He has worked his socks off in every game and when he has been absent this season we have missed him.

He was my player of the season, just ahead of the corporal Jones.

Agree 100% Crofty

ReadingViking

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 02, 2013, 01:03:15 pm by ReadingViking »
I think you're being a tad harsh there Bentley comparing Browny to Warboys in terms of pace!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 02, 2013, 01:08:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think you're being a tad harsh there Bentley comparing Browny to Warboys in terms of pace!

You could be right mate to be honest!

pubteam

« Reply #11 on May 02, 2013, 01:08:30 pm by pubteam »
He's been fantastic this season. Can only echo some of the positive comments posted above. I really hope he signs a new contract.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 02, 2013, 01:26:05 pm by vaya »
He's put in performance after peformance all season, despite getting kicked and wrestled from pillar to post every game.

There were times during the winter he'd emerge from the gloom upfield with covered in mud with his shirt hanging off his back looking like he'd just crawled out of trench on the Western Front, and he'd still keep going. Immense.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 02, 2013, 01:48:24 pm by graingrover »
If only he had been fit to play alongside Billy Sharp at the beginning of season 2011-12 .. we would have been very strong up front.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 02, 2013, 02:57:53 pm by RobTheRover »
Something to try next season,  Brian?  ;)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 02, 2013, 03:20:39 pm by GazLaz »
Crystal Palace away last season was the day I realised how good he was again.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 03, 2013, 01:43:19 am by les@donr »
Having to assess from afar. However, Chris Brown comes across as an honest grafter and team player, which he has done excellently this season. I have friend whose a ST holder, and has regularly told me that Browny was the MOM for him. I had the privileged to watch Browny in his first spell at Rovers, his goal tally without doubt got us promotion. I too hope he stays for the rest of his career with Rovers. He is also Rovers born and bred, and knows how much it means to wear the red and white hoops, and the Viking crest. 

Already a Rovers Legend in my view.

Bretby Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 03, 2013, 07:54:01 am by Bretby Rover »
One word fits Brownie. "Quality" no substitute for that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 03, 2013, 08:24:31 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I bet the Blades wish they had a big, hard, selfless, line-leading Kitson like Brown up front.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 03, 2013, 08:44:30 am by Donnywolf »
Also should praise his attitude. Particularly away from home he gets a right battering and spends much of his time having the back of his shirt in the fist of the opponents centre back – see the Crewe away game. To keep your cool for 90 mins of that and do what he does h  is top dollar. Browny has been bloody brilliant this season.

I would only change one word of your brilliant summary on Browny - the legend of DRFC this Season !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012