Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:25:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Remind me again why we left the EU  (Read 32474 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Remind me again why we left the EU
« Reply #150 on March 17, 2021, 06:21:03 pm by ravenrover »
Fish shops
Nothing less than I expected! You never disappoint, we are struggling to sell what we catch now heaven knows what will happen when there is even more to sell

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on March 17, 2021, 09:06:29 pm by SydneyRover »
  The EU, Norway, And the UK signed a fishing catch agreement for 2021 yesterday which agreed a catch worth £184 million to UK fishermen and gave them a larger catch %  on certain species in the North sea and is designed to maintain fish stocks.
 The agreement will be agreed yearly.
Where do you think the extra fish will be sold Selby?

Is there a larger catch or will it be balanced out by the reduction in other species? I think this is a good idea for sustainability but I haven't read that UK fishers will be better off overall.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on March 17, 2021, 10:54:35 pm by Not Now Kato »
You don't remind me of much at all Kato although ar lass  did say can I pick a cabbage up on my way home.

Here's a recipe for your cabbage Selby, genuinely.

Remove the outer leaves and stork.  Finely shred the cabbage and boil until almost cooked then drain and set aside. Finely dice an onion and gently fry in a small amount of olive oil until golden brown with a teaspoon full of sugar. Turn up the heat and add the cabbage.  Fry, stirring regularly for two to three minutes then add a little salt and grate half a nutmeg over the cabbage/onion mix, stir and put in a serving dish. Add a knob of butter on top and serve. Works well with roast pork, roast potatoes and carrots.

Trust me, the best way to serve cabbage ever. Enjoy.  :)

p.s. This also works exceedingly well with spinach, though you don't boil the spinach, just fry with the onions after they are cooked.  Great with a nice steak served with chips and pepper sauce.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #153 on March 18, 2021, 01:11:50 am by Bentley Bullet »
Your taste in food far exceeds your taste in politics, NNK. I could almost accept an invitation for a meal, providing I could retire once the pleasantries were finished.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 01:16:58 am by Bentley Bullet »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on March 18, 2021, 01:26:51 am by scawsby steve »
You don't remind me of much at all Kato although ar lass  did say can I pick a cabbage up on my way home.

Remove the outer leaves and stork.  Finely shred the cabbage and boil until almost cooked then drain and set aside. Finely dice an onion and gently fry in a small amount of olive oil until golden brown with a teaspoon full of sugar. Turn up the heat and add the cabbage.  Fry, stirring regularly for two to three minutes then add a little salt and grate half a nutmeg over the cabbage/onion mix, stir and put in a serving dish. Add a knob of butter on top and serve. Works well with roast pork, roast potatoes and carrots.

p.s. This also works exceedingly well with spinach, though you don't boil the spinach, just fry with the onions after they are cooked.  Great with a nice steak served with chips and pepper sauce.

The only time I ever eat spinach, NNK, is when I want to beat Bluto up.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on March 18, 2021, 10:36:20 am by Metalmicky »

Is Bluto the Tory foe of Popeye....?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on March 18, 2021, 10:46:48 am by Bentley Bullet »
Ker ker ker ker ker ker ker

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on March 18, 2021, 12:09:39 pm by drfchound »

I think you would be totally shocked to find a stork amongst the leaves of your cabbage NNK.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #158 on March 18, 2021, 12:15:00 pm by Not Now Kato »
Your taste in food far exceeds your taste in politics, NNK. I could almost accept an invitation for a meal, providing I could retire once the pleasantries were finished.

Thank you for the complement BB, especially as my taste in politics is considered by others to be very good indeed.   ;)

And I'd be more than happy to discuss politics with you over a pint any time, (politics should never be discussed over a meal - best way to ruin good food!).

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on March 18, 2021, 12:17:31 pm by Not Now Kato »

You should try it more often Steve, it's very good for you - especially the way I recommend it be cooked, will give you even bigger muscles.   :P

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on March 18, 2021, 12:22:15 pm by Not Now Kato »

I think you would be totally shocked to find a stork amongst the leaves of your cabbage NNK.

That, of course, would be a 'flight of fancy' Hound  :laugh:

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on March 24, 2021, 01:05:55 pm by Metalmicky »
Just putting it out there - don't want a 'telling off' from the OT hierarchy....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56496888

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on March 24, 2021, 05:03:36 pm by selby »
  The EU's stance on taking over private bio companies exports and dictating to them who and when they do legitimate business could be their biggest mistake yet as far as attracting business to the EU is concerned in the future.
  They are looking what they are, a nasty piece of work we are well out of who are self advertising their own faults to the world.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on March 24, 2021, 09:04:34 pm by SydneyRover »
Just putting it out there - don't want a 'telling off' from the OT hierarchy....

Did being in the EU stop them investing MM?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #164 on March 25, 2021, 10:02:01 am by selby »
  The whole world except Guardian and The Independent readers are starting to see just what the EU is morphing into.
  The Spanish must be getting a little desperate for the British to visit Benidorm opening it up for them while at the same time banning inter state / department travel so at the same time banning someone from Madrid going there.
  Is it a trap to start our third lock down, a cunning plan perhaps, sod the San Miguel for a couple of years John Smiths for ever.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 10:09:58 am by selby »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on March 25, 2021, 10:11:20 am by Metalmicky »

I doubt it Syd...... although I don't know if the path would have been so easy.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on March 25, 2021, 10:17:21 am by Metalmicky »
  The whole world except Guardian and The Independent readers are starting to see just what the EU is morphing into.
  The Spanish must be getting a little desperate for the British to visit Benidorm opening it up for them while at the same time banning inter state / department travel so at the same time banning someone from Madrid going there.
  Is it a trap to start our third lock down, a cunning plan perhaps, sod the San Miguel for a couple of years John Smiths for ever.

I think you're right Selby - many EU resorts will be desperate for Brits to return.... and in some areas I expect their entire societal substructure depends on it. 

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on March 25, 2021, 10:32:56 am by SydneyRover »

In case you missed it ,,,,,,, from the article

''Khaldoon Khalifa Al Mubarak, group chief executive of Mubadala, said: "Mubadala is already a long-term investor in UK innovation and growth, and our new partnership now provides a platform to allocate stable capital to priority sectors as part of a future-focused investment relationship."

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on March 25, 2021, 11:28:12 am by Axholme Lion »

There are many fantastic places to see and visit within the British Isles without risking bring further strains of covid into the country and at the same supporting British businesses. Win,win. Leave the sunbeds for the Germans for a couple of years.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on March 25, 2021, 05:21:20 pm by foxbat »
On the morning of the Brexit result, I remember thinking that this was the worst self inflicted wound any country had ever committed.
Nothing since has made me change my mind.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on March 25, 2021, 06:40:49 pm by drfchound »
Foxbat, on that morning I was actually very surprised that the vote had gone in favour of leave.
The main reason for my surprise was that people I worked with and people connected with my work didn’t really have much in the way of reasons to leave apart from controlling immigration.
However, it is done  now and we have to crack on with making things work.
I don’t get the constant need that some people have to moan about it.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on March 25, 2021, 07:04:34 pm by belton rover »
Wounds heal. And very often tell a story of resilience and overcoming adversity that eventually makes someone, or something, better and stronger than it was before

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on March 25, 2021, 07:09:36 pm by drfchound »
Yep, agreed Belton.
We only have the here and now and there is no point in banging on about what might have been if the vote had gone the other way.
People posting links to this that and the other are just wasting their time.
It won’t change anything.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on March 25, 2021, 08:03:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.
My take? If one simply shrugs one's shoulders at the most untruthful and deliberately deceitful political campaign in our lifetimes, one isn't  really a supporter of democracy.

My opinion is that we have a responsibility to point out what was promised and what actually happened. That isn't a refusal to accept what happened. It's a fundamental requirement in a properly functioning democracy.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on March 25, 2021, 08:13:43 pm by belton rover »
That’s all fair enough, but that doesn’t mean we can’t move on either. Too many people wallowing in self pity.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on March 25, 2021, 08:32:39 pm by wilts rover »
That’s all fair enough, but that doesn’t mean we can’t move on either. Too many people wallowing in self pity.

I saw a yougov poll today which showed more people regret leaving the EU than supported it. I think you may be waiting quite a while.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on March 25, 2021, 08:42:00 pm by belton rover »
Again Wilts, regretting it shouldn’t mean not accepting it or refusing to be a part of what could be a promising new era.
That attitude is selfish and childish.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on March 25, 2021, 08:47:51 pm by River Don »
Ker ker ker ker ker ker ker

Ker Stammer.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on March 25, 2021, 08:52:52 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I saw a yougov poll today which showed more people regret leaving the EU than supported it. I think you may be waiting quite a while.
Where was that poll from, Wilts, and what date? I have seen a YouGov poll that says different, but it's linked in the Daily Express so not allowed as evidence on this forum.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on March 25, 2021, 09:05:01 pm by SydneyRover »
If someone sold you a toilet and instead of working normally shit rose up and covered your feet and the bathroom floor would you complain about it or make the best of it?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012