Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:26:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Remind me again why we left the EU  (Read 32468 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Remind me again why we left the EU
« Reply #270 on March 31, 2021, 11:02:16 pm by SydneyRover »
they should mussel up

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #271 on April 01, 2021, 08:26:44 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
A point on that made before, clean the water up and the problem goes away.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #272 on April 01, 2021, 09:19:42 am by SydneyRover »
yes that

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #273 on April 01, 2021, 09:58:43 am by Axholme Lion »
Wilts, AL might have bought the oldest house in the village for all we know.

Might have. Might be the one my ancestors used to live in as I have a lot of links to Butterwick. But its clearly one less house for local people to live in now he has bought it - and he ain't local. Where are they going to live if incommers are buying up their houses and they are not allowed to build new ones?

No i'm not local. I moved from Westwoodside.  :lol: My house is approx 1950s.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #274 on April 01, 2021, 10:03:41 am by Not Now Kato »
There are far too many house being built in Doncaster. Hatfield, Balby (near Morrisons), Auckley, Blaxton.

Where do you expect people to live AL?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #275 on April 01, 2021, 10:13:35 am by BillyStubbsTears »
There are far too many house being built in Doncaster. Hatfield, Balby (near Morrisons), Auckley, Blaxton.

He's said several times before that he doesn't expect people to live.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #276 on April 01, 2021, 10:48:08 am by Axholme Lion »

Not in houses built on green fields ruining what little countryside we have left. The area around Auckley has been ruined by overdevelopment. I know there will always be the odd house here and there but it has gone out of control. I suppose at least the Wheatley Hall Road/IH land is recycled from old industrial use. Every extra yard of concrete laid increases the chance of flooding, where do all the wild life go when we have taken their habitat away? I have a concrete driveway which i will be taking up and relaying as gravel along with planting hedges and shrubs instead of fencing. There's plenty of room in towns to build, what about all the department stores which are becoming empty that could be modified?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #277 on April 01, 2021, 10:56:35 am by Glyn_Wigley »
'What little countrside we have left'?

Aye, right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #278 on April 01, 2021, 11:21:54 am by Axholme Lion »

Aye, right.

https://theconversation.com/think-your-country-is-crowded-these-maps-reveal-the-truth-about-population-density-across-europe-90345

https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/documents/upload/wtd10.pdf

We have one of the highest population densities and lowest amount of trees and woodlands in europe. Why would we want to make that worse? You struggle to go in the countryside anywhere without the view being blighted by wind turbines. We need to save these areas from the greed of developers otherwise we will end up with everywhere looking the same with seas of plastic houses  with costas and mcdonalds every 500 yards. The countryside is different to towns and should only be modified steadily.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #279 on April 01, 2021, 11:33:03 am by Metalmicky »

Aye, right.

https://theconversation.com/think-your-country-is-crowded-these-maps-reveal-the-truth-about-population-density-across-europe-90345

https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/documents/upload/wtd10.pdf

We have one of the highest population densities and lowest amount of trees and woodlands in europe. Why would we want to make that worse? You struggle to go in the countryside anywhere without the view being blighted by wind turbines. We need to save these areas from the greed of developers otherwise we will end up with everywhere looking the same with seas of plastic houses  with costas and mcdonalds every 500 yards. The countryside is different to towns and should only be modified steadily.

Whilst I agree with you mostly - especially with regard to McDonald's and Costa's; I actually think that wind turbines are quite nice to look at - and at least where there is a turbine, you won't find a housing estate..... 

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #280 on April 01, 2021, 01:50:50 pm by idler »
I have always said that a builder wanting to build on green field sites should be made to also build a percentage on brown field sites before permission is granted.
In Bradford house builders have now built or are building in every green field between Thackley and Shipley.
This is because the council didn't keep up to date with their planning regulations. The house builders appealed when planning was denied and they won the appeal as there was a ten year gap from the date that the council should have made sure building shouldn't take place on this land and the builders trying again.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #281 on April 01, 2021, 02:45:54 pm by foxbat »
The environment secretary, George Eustice, is facing a threat of legal action from shellfish farmers over claims that the government has misled the industry over its post-Brexit arrangements with the EU.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #282 on April 01, 2021, 03:14:39 pm by selby »
  If our waters are so dirty why are we letting foreign fishing boats fish within the limits, ban them all if they are too dirty for our shell fishermen to fish in surely they are too dirty for any other EU country's boats to fish in.
  After all it is their pollution findings we will be following, hold them to them and don't let them do any fishing.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #283 on April 01, 2021, 04:21:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  If our waters are so dirty why are we letting foreign fishing boats fish within the limits, ban them all if they are too dirty for our shell fishermen to fish in surely they are too dirty for any other EU country's boats to fish in.
  After all it is their pollution findings we will be following, hold them to them and don't let them do any fishing.

Because we sold them our quotas and gave them permission. That's why.

Just because they fish in our waters doesn't mean they land them in the EU either. They're probably selling our mucky fish to us to eat.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:24:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #284 on April 01, 2021, 05:31:33 pm by drfchound »
I have always said that a builder wanting to build on green field sites should be made to also build a percentage on brown field sites before permission is granted.
In Bradford house builders have now built or are building in every green field between Thackley and Shipley.
This is because the council didn't keep up to date with their planning regulations. The house builders appealed when planning was denied and they won the appeal as there was a ten year gap from the date that the council should have made sure building shouldn't take place on this land and the builders trying again.

Well that seems to have stopped that debate idler.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #285 on April 01, 2021, 06:17:05 pm by wilts rover »

Because that's what Boris Johnson agreed to.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #286 on April 01, 2021, 08:58:04 pm by foxbat »
Sussex business cuts dozens of jobs after losing 90% of trade to Brexit .A Sussex company has had to let dozens of employees go after losing almost all of its business to Brexit.

“To work this hard and then have to hand over 90 per cent of our business to Europe. These are real people, real jobs, real lives and real taxes and they are all things we have lost in this process.”

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #287 on April 01, 2021, 09:00:38 pm by drfchound »
I think that stories like that were, and are still, inevitable.
There might of course be others in which people and businesses benefit from us leaving.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #288 on April 01, 2021, 09:04:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I think that stories like that were, and are still, inevitable.
There might of course be others in which people and businesses benefit from us leaving.

Well, here's the place for someone to let us know about them.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #289 on April 01, 2021, 10:32:51 pm by wilts rover »
Dream over - Thousands of British expats at risk of being deported from Spain.

So they don't need us more than we needed them then, who knew:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1415577/Brexit-news-latest-eu-vaccine-block-astrazeneca-uk-john-redwood-boris-johnson

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #290 on April 01, 2021, 10:39:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Daily Express? How come you lefties can use it as evidence, but us ordinary sensible folk can't?

Anyway, regarding the story, Let's hope we do the same thing in the UK.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #291 on April 01, 2021, 11:08:31 pm by SydneyRover »
As long as you put your hand up for farm work and shifts at the local hospital.

''Philippine nurses 'became part of the NHS family' in Wales

Philippine nurses 'became part of the NHS family' in Wales
Close
Nurses who were recruited from the Philippines due to a nursing shortage say they have "no regrets" after 20 years in north Wales.

About 100 nurses came in 2001 and took up positions across the three main hospitals.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-56610658

you may not find this story in the express

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #292 on April 01, 2021, 11:28:05 pm by SydneyRover »
 .................. this is a bit ruff

''Brexit: Scottish dog food firm relocates to France due to export red tape
Owner says he decided ‘enough was enough’ after encountering more and more trade barriers''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/01/brexit-scottish-dog-food-firm-relocates-to-france-due-to-export-red-tape

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #293 on April 01, 2021, 11:58:26 pm by normal rules »
.................. this is a bit ruff

''Brexit: Scottish dog food firm relocates to France due to export red tape
Owner says he decided ‘enough was enough’ after encountering more and more trade barriers''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/01/brexit-scottish-dog-food-firm-relocates-to-france-due-to-export-red-tape

Scottish dog food.

Aka Haggis.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #294 on April 02, 2021, 12:23:41 am by SydneyRover »
It's quite offal really but then when it was invented so were a lot of meals

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #295 on April 02, 2021, 08:32:57 am by Metalmicky »
There will be winners and losers in the post Brexit fallout.... it will ultimately calm down and life will go on with people and businesses adjusting accordingly. Barriers to free trade are not as easy and businesses will need to adapt and overcome these going forward - eventually these will ease and processes will become easier. 

I dare say that when we went into the EEC (1973?) there were lots of boxes to tick and hurdles to get over also during the transition period... some folk will recall this time better than me.  I bet there were winners and losers then and the same will happen as we reset the trade arrangements now.   

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #296 on April 02, 2021, 09:13:19 am by Glyn_Wigley »
There will be winners and losers in the post Brexit fallout.... it will ultimately calm down and life will go on with people and businesses adjusting accordingly. Barriers to free trade are not as easy and businesses will need to adapt and overcome these going forward - eventually these will ease and processes will become easier. 

I dare say that when we went into the EEC (1973?) there were lots of boxes to tick and hurdles to get over also during the transition period... some folk will recall this time better than me.  I bet there were winners and losers then and the same will happen as we reset the trade arrangements now.   

Not really. Entry into the EEC (and later the Single Market) was designed to reduce and eventually do away with hurdles and box ticking - which it did. I cannot think of anybody who would have been losers then apart from shipping agents who couldn't charge for filling out documentation that wasn't needed any more. We as a country have decided we want it back again, and nobody can say it's come as a surprise - every non-EU country has had to cope with the exact same documentation, rules and regulations for all the time that we were in the EU; and we've now decided to join them as a non-EU country and enjoy the documentation, rules and regulations just as much as they do.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #297 on April 02, 2021, 09:29:38 am by wilts rover »

Well yes, if you call businesses loosing customers and closing or moving as 'adjusting accordingly'.

And who wins when you put barriers and rules in place to make life more difficult. Clearly there are now going to be more elderly Brits staying in this country and putting more strain on the NHS and all that costs rather than retiring to Spain and using their's. Who has won there - not the taxpayer.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #298 on April 02, 2021, 09:34:45 am by wilts rover »
Government to pay £250m to participate in EU Horizon programme - is this the first rumblings of re-joining the EU by stealth

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/apr/01/uk-pledges-extra-250m-for-hi-tech-research-collaboration-with-eu

Sorry but couldn't find this story in the Daily Express, funny that as they like to tell us positive Brexit news...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #299 on April 02, 2021, 09:43:03 am by Bentley Bullet »
Daily Express? How come you lefties can use it as negative evidence, but us ordinary sensible folk can't use it as positive evidence?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012