Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:17:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Remind me again why we left the EU  (Read 32468 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Remind me again why we left the EU
« Reply #510 on April 20, 2021, 11:33:49 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Actually, I've got it. Reading further down that article, Johnson explains.

When he said there would be no barriers in the irish Sea, he didn't mean there would be no barriers. He meant there would be barriers but they wouldn't really be barriers. And it is the dastardly EU's fault that the barriers have turned out to be real barriers, not pretend barriers. And he's jolly well going to...err...ahh...

"He warned the government would take further steps if the EU insisted on being dogmatic over matters like the supply of British rose bushes, soil and sausages to Northern Ireland.

Noting that the EU Withdrawal Agreement specifically mentions Northern Ireland's integral place in the UK's internal market, the prime minister said the way the deal had been interpreted did not conform with that provision.

He insisted the checks on goods moving across the Irish Sea had always been intended to be light-touch measures and he described the UK economic market's integrity as paramount."

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #511 on April 20, 2021, 01:17:56 pm by wilts rover »
And if you follow David Henig's links you come to Sam McBride's article on the interview to be shown on Irish tv tonight which contains this;

Boris Johnson has denounced as “ludicrous” the checks which he said would not happen at the Irish Sea border which he said would not exist. But he has admitted that when he said there wouldn't  be checks, he knew there would be checks.

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1384407104816128000

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #512 on April 20, 2021, 03:23:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It doesn't matter Wilts. The people who support him KNOW he's incapable of telling the truth when he's put in the spot. They don't care. He tells them what they want to hear and it doesn't matter if he's lying. They just claim that all politicians do. I'm not sure how we get back from here.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #513 on April 20, 2021, 03:50:45 pm by belton rover »
Why post on here if it’s futile?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #514 on April 20, 2021, 04:02:49 pm by Not Now Kato »
It doesn't matter Wilts. The people who support him KNOW he's incapable of telling the truth when he's put in the spot. They don't care. He tells them what they want to hear and it doesn't matter if he's lying. They just claim that all politicians do. I'm not sure how we get back from here.

Johnson's lying and the possible enquiry into it was being discussed on the Jeremy Vine show this morning. Ann Widdecombe was on and she reckons that lying to the country shouldn't be part of any enquiry, only where he's thought to have been lying to parliament should there be an enquiry - and then there's an internal procedure that should be followed before any enquirey!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #515 on April 21, 2021, 04:21:42 pm by Axholme Lion »

Maybe by coming up with some potential trustworthy opposition to give people a realistic choice in elections?
I feel at the moment it's just the best of a bad bunch, none of which have the interests of normal Brits at heart.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #516 on April 21, 2021, 07:00:37 pm by drfchound »
Why post on here if it’s futile?

It gives them a sense of togetherness.
A chance to feel like their opinions are important to everyone else.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #517 on April 21, 2021, 07:34:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Oh the irony!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #518 on April 21, 2021, 07:37:04 pm by drfchound »
LoL. You would know about that.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #519 on April 21, 2021, 09:39:31 pm by selby »
  Not a bad crack going off in Italy, a civil servant was assigned to a job in a hospital and has not done a days work for 15 years on full salary.
  He was found out by an investigation  into absenteeism by Italian workers and fraudulently claiming wages for not working. Over the period he has claimed over £450,000 in unearned wages, sort of started Billy's Universal payment theory early a man before his time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:20:30 pm by selby »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #520 on April 21, 2021, 10:35:33 pm by selby »
  The Juventus Chairman blamed Brexit for the collapse of the new European football league.
  Guess it saved the Premiership then, and the other European leagues.
  He doesn't like people thinking for themselves does he.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 11:20:37 pm by selby »

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #521 on April 21, 2021, 11:15:14 pm by foxbat »
If Boris Johnson told Dyson he’d “fix” tax laws for him

what the hell did he tell the Russian businessmen who have donated millions to the Tories?

That he’d “Get Brexit Done”?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #522 on April 21, 2021, 11:21:04 pm by SydneyRover »

From their own people .............

''Ex-minister Johnny Mercer says ‘almost nobody’ tells truth in Johnson’s government
Former veterans’ minister says it was ‘most distrustful, awful environment I’ve ever worked in, in government’''

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #523 on April 21, 2021, 11:58:08 pm by belton rover »
belton quote:

''For what it’s worth, I don’t think this government is doing a particularly good job, but I also think they are making a much better fist of it than the current Labour party would be doing''

this is quite a remarkable statement in light of the disasters, lies, incompetence and cronyism that's been going on, remembering that the first duty of any government is to keep their citizens safe.

Good to see you back on this thread, Sydney.
You might have missed my last response to this, so I’ll try again. What is it that is so remarkable about my statement? Your comment was quite a powerful one so at least give me the courtesy of explaining what you mean.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #524 on April 22, 2021, 03:25:14 am by SydneyRover »
No, didn't miss it belton

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #525 on April 22, 2021, 06:49:52 am by belton rover »
Oh. Just picked and chose what to respond to then, after suggesting the other person doesn’t understand your nonsensical clap trap because they are too thick.
As usual.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #526 on April 22, 2021, 08:37:26 am by SydneyRover »
If that's how you see yourself who am I to argue

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #527 on April 22, 2021, 11:52:04 am by Metalmicky »
Not trying to cause any friction - or point the finger at anyone in particular, but has anyone else noticed how many topics in the OT section seem to gravitate towards politics..... and then a general roundabout of squabbles and altercations.  It does seem that our collective of narcissistic, egocentric.... or even masochistic pundits always end up vying for supremacy and no matter what the original subject, it eventually veers towards a bit of a political brouhaha.   

Do people generally enjoy the political jousting in every other thread, or should there be a separate Politics sub section for this?

Just asking....   

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #528 on April 22, 2021, 12:08:05 pm by idler »
I think that a separate political thread would be a good idea.
The problem is as you say that some topics don’t start out political but just morph into one.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #529 on April 22, 2021, 12:35:27 pm by belton rover »
I would love it if we moved politics to its own, separate thread. Just love it.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #530 on April 22, 2021, 01:39:44 pm by wilts rover »
Not trying to cause any friction - or point the finger at anyone in particular, but has anyone else noticed how many topics in the OT section seem to gravitate towards politics..... and then a general roundabout of squabbles and altercations.  It does seem that our collective of narcissistic, egocentric.... or even masochistic pundits always end up vying for supremacy and no matter what the original subject, it eventually veers towards a bit of a political brouhaha.   

Do people generally enjoy the political jousting in every other thread, or should there be a separate Politics sub section for this?

Just asking....   

How do other posters access the forum?

I have no idea which section any thread is posted in until I come to read it. When I log on it takes me straight to an unread threads page and I click on anything that interests me from the title - or a topic I have previously posted in.

That way I don't miss anything - and can quickly skip the rubbish (yeah and before anyone else says it, quite a lot of that created by me).

So to me the sections are pretty irrelevant.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #531 on April 22, 2021, 01:44:38 pm by drfchound »

Just asking....   

How do other posters access the forum?

I have no idea which section any thread is posted in until I come to read it. When I log on it takes me straight to an unread threads page and I click on anything that interests me from the title - or a topic I have previously posted in.

That way I don't miss anything - and can quickly skip the rubbish (yeah and before anyone else says it, quite a lot of that created by me).

So to me the sections are pretty irrelevant.

I also access the forum in the same way wilts.
I would love it if there was a political thread though and perhaps it should go into the same section as “forum matters” as no one can ever find that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:22:30 pm by drfchound »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #532 on April 22, 2021, 04:03:57 pm by Axholme Lion »
The thing is everything becomes politics because for some people everything is down to brexit, evil tories, etc etc. It's a default answer to every debate and on and on it will go because they are incapable of listening to the views of others without it becoming a personal attack because they are right and everyone else is wrong.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #533 on April 22, 2021, 06:31:08 pm by belton rover »
If that's how you see yourself who am I to argue

Apologies if I have misunderstood, Sydney. It’s just that comments like:

‘I thought it would be obvious even to you belton’

‘It’s not difficult belton don’t worry about it’

Without then justifying your claims when asked make you look like like an ignorant, arrogant prick.

I might be wrong, but the evidence suggests I’m not.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #534 on April 22, 2021, 07:12:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Guys! guys! guys! It's what they call grown-up politics!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #535 on April 22, 2021, 10:50:22 pm by SydneyRover »

Just asking....   

If the government cannot separate covid and health from politics but goes out of it's way to make it political how then are we supposed to discuss it MM?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #536 on April 23, 2021, 03:07:44 am by SydneyRover »
I'll add further that in my view running the country should not be front page fodder, it should be done in an orderly and equitable manner (splutter) but it has to be made into a cultural war to feed the symbiotic relationship between the majority media supporting the right and denigrating the left. Johnson knows as well as everyone that a divided left means government for the right and also knows without said media they have no clothes.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #537 on April 23, 2021, 08:25:44 am by Metalmicky »
"and that concludes the case for the defence....."  :whistle: :laugh:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #538 on April 23, 2021, 08:29:20 am by drfchound »
"and that concludes the case for the defence....."  :whistle: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  :crying:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #539 on April 23, 2021, 09:22:19 am by selby »
 The French fishermen are getting tetchy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012