Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:19:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Remind me again why we left the EU  (Read 32476 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Remind me again why we left the EU
« Reply #570 on April 27, 2021, 01:46:16 pm by SydneyRover »
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1386774351500955653

This is what the BBC does best, and particularly the excellent Ros Atkins. This report looks at the pre Brexit agreement promises made in relation to UK fisheries against what’s actually being delivered. Only 4 minutes long, but very interesting and thought provoking.

Straightforward dispassionate review of the facts, thanks HA.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #571 on April 27, 2021, 02:49:15 pm by Axholme Lion »

This is what the BBC does best, and particularly the excellent Ros Atkins. This report looks at the pre Brexit agreement promises made in relation to UK fisheries against what’s actually being delivered. Only 4 minutes long, but very interesting and thought provoking.

The BBC don't deal in facts, they just push agendas.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #572 on April 27, 2021, 02:57:18 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

The BBC don't deal in facts, they just push agendas.

Which areas of the clip aren’t factual AL?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #573 on April 27, 2021, 03:30:38 pm by foxbat »
Ford closed the Bridgend factory but is investing massively in Romania.

In electric cars.

So the government can’t really blame China or diesel this time.

So what is it? Maybe it starts with the letter “B”?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #574 on April 27, 2021, 03:48:58 pm by belton rover »

In electric cars.

You can’t blame Bentley Bullet for everything!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #575 on April 27, 2021, 03:49:49 pm by wilts rover »
Look like it is going extremly well for everyone who wanted to see a samller economy after Brexit. You must be delighted:

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #576 on April 27, 2021, 04:01:23 pm by Metalmicky »
Look like it is going extremly well for everyone who wanted to see a samller economy after Brexit. You must be delighted:

You're probably right that the economy has shrunk........ however, do you think that Covid 19 might have also had something to do with that....?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #577 on April 27, 2021, 04:15:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

You're probably right that the economy has shrunk........ however, do you think that Covid 19 might have also had something to do with that....?
Look at the graph again.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #578 on April 27, 2021, 04:18:50 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

In electric cars.

The Bridgend closure was nothing to do with Brexit though. Plus, don’t forget that Ford stopped assembling cars in the UK and moved the majority of the assembly process to Spain & Germany...while we were fully paid up members of the EU.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #579 on April 27, 2021, 04:29:06 pm by selby »
  No doubting that was going to happen, but does not take into account the difference over the same period with the rest of the world.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #580 on April 27, 2021, 04:30:37 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Any reason why you’ve not included February’21 figures in the graph?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #581 on April 27, 2021, 05:58:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
HA
I'd guess it's because Wilts didn't plot it himself? For what it's worth, exports made some of the lost ground up in Feb, but were still 15% down overall.

Imports were still 30% down in Feb, compared to December. People who don't understand economics applaud that because it means we are not buying as much from Johnny Foreigner. But unless there has been an astonishing change on British Industry's ability to replace imports, what that 30% drop means is that British companies are not getting the supplies they normally would. Which suggests trouble being stored up for the short to medium term.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #582 on April 27, 2021, 06:27:38 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
You may be right BST. I was just curious why the most recent figures weren’t being shared which seems a little pointless to me. Especially when there’s signs of a recovery.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 06:37:17 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #583 on April 27, 2021, 07:44:47 pm by wilts rover »
You may be right BST. I was just curious why the most recent figures weren’t being shared which seems a little pointless to me. Especially when there’s signs of a recovery.

Nothing to stop you doing it Herbert. Those are the latest figures from the ONS in graphical form - if you have others, please share.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #584 on April 27, 2021, 09:39:29 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Nothing to stop you doing it Herbert. Those are the latest figures from the ONS in graphical form - if you have others, please share.

I’ll do more than that Wilts. I’ll share a link to ONS report for Feb ‘21 that you couldn’t find that shows the increase in exports in Feb ‘21. I wonder if you’d have found it if there’d been a further drop in exports as opposed to an increase? Anyway, your welcome.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/february2021

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #585 on April 27, 2021, 09:54:19 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Another excellent piece by the BBC regarding Brexit promises and reality. This time it’s about Northern Ireland. It picks apart the claims made prior to the Brexit agreement and the reality of what’s actually happening. You may, or may not be surprised to learn that what the Brexiteers and the Tory Party claimed they’d deliver is fairly distant from what they are actually delivering. Anyway, don’t take it from me. Make up your own mind.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1387134844883308547

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #586 on April 28, 2021, 12:39:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Another excellent piece by the BBC regarding Brexit promises and reality. This time it’s about Northern Ireland. It picks apart the claims made prior to the Brexit agreement and the reality of what’s actually happening. You may, or may not be surprised to learn that what the Brexiteers and the Tory Party claimed they’d deliver is fairly distant from what they are actually delivering. Anyway, don’t take it from me. Make up your own mind.

Simply and clearly put. Some of us have been saying that for five years. If Ireland is in the SM and CU and GB isn't, by definition you HAVE to have a border somewhere. Johnson has spent years waving away that simple logic. He insisted that there could never be a customs border between GB and NI. Then he signed a deal which required customs checks between GB and NI. Then he swore he hadn't. Now he says it is the EU's fault for really meaning it in the document that he signed.

An utter embarrassment of a politician. He's lied throughout the process. And still there are millions who refuse to accept that he has and insist it is the EU's fault. As if they could somehow magic away the need for customs borders between two different sovereign areas. WE chose this when we ignored the Ireland problem when we voted for Brexit. Anyone who refused to think about that issue when they voted Leave should hold their hand up and have some responsibility for not thinking about this when it mattered.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #587 on April 28, 2021, 09:08:30 am by selby »
  It never rains but it pours, the poor old wine growers in France after having to throw gallons of wine and Champaign away due to plummeting sales now a three day frost has killed off a lot of the harvest, and what do they turn to, straight away  government grants.
  Seem to remember them stopping them to our steel industry, marvelous,  still plenty of good wines from else where in the world which is now our oyster.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #588 on April 28, 2021, 09:36:40 am by Bentley Bullet »
Remoaners whines are still going strong thanks to Brexit.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #589 on April 28, 2021, 09:50:59 am by Ldr »

Simply and clearly put. Some of us have been saying that for five years. If Ireland is in the SM and CU and GB isn't, by definition you HAVE to have a border somewhere. Johnson has spent years waving away that simple logic. He insisted that there could never be a customs border between GB and NI. Then he signed a deal which required customs checks between GB and NI. Then he swore he hadn't. Now he says it is the EU's fault for really meaning it in the document that he signed.

An utter embarrassment of a politician. He's lied throughout the process. And still there are millions who refuse to accept that he has and insist it is the EU's fault. As if they could somehow magic away the need for customs borders between two different sovereign areas. WE chose this when we ignored the Ireland problem when we voted for Brexit. Anyone who refused to think about that issue when they voted Leave should hold their hand up and have some responsibility for not thinking about this when it mattered.

All you had to do is put up someone electable in 2019 and it was there for the taking, maybe moaning about the idiots who thought Corbyn was a good idea for a bit may be in order #youhadonejob

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #590 on April 28, 2021, 10:01:09 am by Herbert Anchovy »

All you had to do is put up someone electable in 2019 and it was there for the taking, maybe moaning about the idiots who thought Corbyn was a good idea for a bit may be in order #youhadonejob

To be fair LDR, if you cast your mind back to the run up to the election, Corbyn produced a leaked document which proved Johnson was lying when he said he never intended to put a border across the Irish Sea. Johnson screamed that it was untrue and the press went to town & accused Corbyn of fabricating the leak etc.. and yet it turns out that Corbyn was spot on. Yet, he’s still the bad guy?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #591 on April 28, 2021, 10:03:18 am by Ldr »

To be fair LDR, if you cast your mind back to the run up to the election, Corbyn produced a leaked document which proved Johnson was lying when he said he never intended to put a border across the Irish Sea. Johnson screamed that it was untrue and the press went to town & accused Corbyn of fabricating the leak etc.. and yet it turns out that Corbyn was spot on. Yet, he’s still the bad guy?

HA let's be honest, elections are a reflection on the personal popularity of the party leaders. Labour missed an open goal there, points about how much a scumbag Johnson is just prove that.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #592 on April 28, 2021, 10:03:37 am by SydneyRover »
There are 27000 families and friends thereof that are now thinking johnson wasn't a good idea.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #593 on April 28, 2021, 10:05:48 am by Ldr »
There are 27000 families and friends thereof that are now thinking johnson wasn't a good idea.

See above Syd, it should have been Labour's for the taking. Labour members who voted for Corbyn as leader need a long look at themselves, they are as compliant for the current government as idiots like me who voted for it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #594 on April 28, 2021, 10:08:09 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Incredible when those without power get blamed for the actions of those with power instead of blaming those in power as they should do.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #595 on April 28, 2021, 10:11:12 am by Ldr »
Incredible when those without power get blamed for the actions of those with power instead of blaming those in power as they should do.

Are you saying I'm wrong Glyn? That if Labour hadn't stuck with Corbyn they would have probably won in 2019?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #596 on April 28, 2021, 10:15:03 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Are you saying I'm wrong Glyn? That if Labour hadn't stuck with Corbyn they would have probably won in 2019?

Possibly. Probably. That doesn't make them culpable for Johnson's lying and obfuscation though. Unless you're also going to follow your own logic and go down the line of blaming what Trump did, or Putin continues to do, on those who didn't vote for them!

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #597 on April 28, 2021, 10:18:33 am by Ldr »

Possibly. Probably. That doesn't make them culpable for Johnson's lying and obfuscation though. Unless you're also going to follow your own logic and go down the line of blaming what Trump did, or Putin continues to do, on those who didn't vote for them!

I get what you are saying but think you are missing my point which is that those who kept Corbyn in position enabled the choice between him and Johnson which led to where we are. Yes its ppl like.me who voted tory that are the immediate cause but given a better alternative I believe the outcome is different so yes, a responsibility lies with the Labour members who enabled it as it does with fools who voted tory

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #598 on April 28, 2021, 10:20:20 am by SydneyRover »
what do you want in a leader Ldr, my dog is better than johnson

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #599 on April 28, 2021, 10:21:54 am by Ldr »
what do you want in a leader Ldr, my dog is better than johnson

Please tell me its a dingo Syd

TinyPortal © 2005-2012