Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:48:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: IAN LAWLOR  (Read 9554 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: IAN LAWLOR
« Reply #90 on May 22, 2023, 09:24:29 pm by dickos1 »
If you were mcCann and you had a pot of money you’d definitely get a keeper in that you know who is cheap, you rate.
Then you have more money available for the players you want that can effect further up the pitch.
If we sign lawlor and end up with 5/6 signings we can’t believe we’ve pulled off rhen it’s money we’ll spent

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on May 22, 2023, 09:28:07 pm by Canadian Rover »
Overall I'm happy with this signing. Look forward to seeing him in between the sticks.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on May 22, 2023, 09:29:13 pm by Cramby10 »
Well, the GM love-in didn't last long. One signing and people doubting his judgement already.

Let's just wait a bit.

To be fair he made 6 decent signings out of 13 last time. Not an amazing record.
And so it begins….

What?
calling out the manager already. Wonder if you’ll be the first one to throw his previous departure back in his face when/if things go awry.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on May 22, 2023, 09:31:13 pm by Campsall rover »
If you were mcCann and you had a pot of money you’d definitely get a keeper in that you know who is cheap, you rate.
Then you have more money available for the players you want that can effect further up the pitch.
If we sign lawlor and end up with 5/6 signings we can’t believe we’ve pulled off rhen it’s money we’ll spent
I always thought the goalkeepers position was one of if not the most important positions on the field.
A top keeper can give save you over 15 points in a 46 game season.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on May 22, 2023, 09:34:42 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Well, the GM love-in didn't last long. One signing and people doubting his judgement already.

Let's just wait a bit.

To be fair he made 6 decent signings out of 13 last time. Not an amazing record.
And so it begins….

What?
calling out the manager already. Wonder if you’ll be the first one to throw his previous departure back in his face when/if things go awry.

The f**k are you on about? I renewed my season ticket because he joined.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on May 22, 2023, 09:35:00 pm by Metalmicky »
Comment from my Dundee mate: Bloody hell, and you were buzzing with your new manager too. He was awful for us, couldn’t get a game in the Scots champ
He played a total of 13 games, so your mate can judge that he’s awful in them 13 games? I would have to give a player a lot more games before I could consider them to be awful, I remember his 1st game at the keepmoat, he pulled off some amazing saves and won us the match.

It's always amazes me that whenever we sign someone contentious, someone always has a 'mate' from that area who can comment with authority on the ability (or otherwise) of the individual concerned.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on May 22, 2023, 09:36:31 pm by dickos1 »
I don’t disagree campsall and I wasn’t suggesting otherwise, my point is mcCann rates lawlor and it’s a cheap signing leaving him with more in the pot to sign players who would be classed as marquee signings

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on May 22, 2023, 09:37:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
Comment from my Dundee mate: Bloody hell, and you were buzzing with your new manager too. He was awful for us, couldn’t get a game in the Scots champ
He played a total of 13 games, so your mate can judge that he’s awful in them 13 games? I would have to give a player a lot more games before I could consider them to be awful, I remember his 1st game at the keepmoat, he pulled off some amazing saves and won us the match.

It's always amazes me that whenever we sign someone contentious, someone always has a 'mate' from that area who can comment with authority on the ability (or otherwise) of the individual concerned.

We don't need third-party commentary of him. He only left us in 2021. We had all seen him at our own club, including a season at this very level. We've seen him in action!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on May 22, 2023, 09:38:48 pm by Campsall rover »
I don’t disagree campsall and I wasn’t suggesting otherwise, my point is mcCann rates lawlor and it’s a cheap signing leaving him with more in the pot to sign players who would be classed as marquee signings
Well hope you’re right.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on May 22, 2023, 09:41:55 pm by Pliskin »
Lawlor and Marosi were both competing for the #1 shirt the season we reached the playoffs in the league above.

I personally thought Lawlor marginally to be the better of the two, with neither being particularly convincing, but we still had a decent season.

A surprising signing, but in my opinion, nowhere near as terrible as some are making out.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on May 22, 2023, 09:42:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Ideally you'd want a keeper who will save you goals over a season, not cost them.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on May 22, 2023, 09:43:44 pm by dickos1 »

We don't need third-party commentary of him. He only left us in 2021. We had all seen him at our own club, including a season at this very level. We've seen him in action!

But mcCann knows him better than any of us and he’s signed him, he wouldn’t sign someone he’s worked with before if he didn’t think he was good enough. So surely we trust the manager? Surely

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on May 22, 2023, 09:44:26 pm by dickos1 »

Ideally you'd want a keeper who will save you goals over a season, not cost them.

Mitchell did both
Almost all goalkeepers do both,

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on May 22, 2023, 09:46:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think GM has got him in as insurance (e.g. if Jones does reject his offer and leaves for his stated ‘more game time’). IF Jones accepts, then we go with what we have, but if Jones leaves, we can always get a half decent loanee later in the summer.

Just a thought!

pigeonhole

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on May 22, 2023, 09:48:05 pm by pigeonhole »
This is my abiding memory of him. 1 minute and 5 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/bhPMVVVs-4U

He was not a good goalkeeper.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on May 22, 2023, 09:52:02 pm by dickos1 »

He looked like he had a great game in this

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on May 22, 2023, 09:52:20 pm by normal rules »
In Mcann we trust.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on May 22, 2023, 09:58:59 pm by Michael Shaw »
No matter who McCann signs all we ever hear is moaning from far too many. Go and find another club to moan about!
Lawlor is better than we have had for the last 2 years, so I say welcome Ian.

So who will be the 2nd signing they will all moan about I wonder?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on May 22, 2023, 10:04:18 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

He looked like he had a great game in this

Was just about to say the same, massive gaffe but what a save at the end.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on May 22, 2023, 10:06:46 pm by adamtherover »

a mega save at the end to save the points..

Stocksbridge Owl

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on May 22, 2023, 10:29:17 pm by Stocksbridge Owl »
Some of the comments on here are unbelievable! Here was me thinking that our fans had the monopoly when it came to delusions of grandeur!!

Right now your a piss poor League 2 side who were shocking for most of last season. The days of you holding your own in the Championship or challenging for the League 1 title are light years away. If you’re a professional footballer, Rovers are not an attractive proposition right now and your manager will have a tough job to convince decent players to come to you. Some of you need to be be more realistic with your expectations regarding signings. Good players will not be sat by their phones desperately waiting for a call from Donny Rovers.

That said, if you can sign players who are better than those who you had last season then you’re heading in the right direction and from some comments on here, that sounds like the case in this instance. Coupled with the fact you’ve got a very good manager on board means you’ve every right to be optimistic for next season, but I think that you need to be more realistic about the players you’re going to attract.

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on May 22, 2023, 10:37:54 pm by Peebles Rover »
Just replaying what he said. Started okay but got progressively worse and got dropped. Just what he saw from his perspective.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on May 22, 2023, 10:59:45 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Some of the comments on here are unbelievable! Here was me thinking that our fans had the monopoly when it came to delusions of grandeur!!

Right now your a piss poor League 2 side who were shocking for most of last season. The days of you holding your own in the Championship or challenging for the League 1 title are light years away. If you’re a professional footballer, Rovers are not an attractive proposition right now and your manager will have a tough job to convince decent players to come to you. Some of you need to be be more realistic with your expectations regarding signings. Good players will not be sat by their phones desperately waiting for a call from Donny Rovers.

That said, if you can sign players who are better than those who you had last season then you’re heading in the right direction and from some comments on here, that sounds like the case in this instance. Coupled with the fact you’ve got a very good manager on board means you’ve every right to be optimistic for next season, but I think that you need to be more realistic about the players you’re going to attract.

Your into L1 play off final and there's nowt to talk about on your own forum fella? Bugger off and let us moan amongst ourselves about our piss poor league 2 side thanks !!!!!! :scarf: .

Best of luck for the final, may the best team win. Hopefully we will be back up there soon. Sheff W shouldnt be in L1 and the best placed third finish ever deserves to go up......but I still can't bring myself to back Moore!

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on May 23, 2023, 07:16:47 am by MrWoodySir »

Seems odd to come on another clubs forum and belittle them and some of our so called fans are liking this post! 

We don’t care about your joke club now bugger off.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on May 23, 2023, 07:38:32 am by mpc123 »
Mccann talks about circumstances of why Lawlor probably didn't get more games there.

Mccann is no doubt a much better spotter of talent and who fits into the team than any of us.

Looking back Lawlor and Marosi had a great tussle for number 1 that season and Mccann sounds like he is the guy to get the best out of any player and the relationship with Lawlor maybe is the personal touch Lawlor needs to bring the best out of him and the confidence he needs.

Good solid first signing, sounds like Jones may stay aswell and he finished off the season well.

First time in years I'm getting excited about a season.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on May 23, 2023, 07:44:05 am by Upton Rover »

It’s the same when a ex player signs for another club, If Lawlor had signed for another L2 club, it would be!!!! Good singing he did well for us!!! I think he was a decent keeper

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on May 23, 2023, 08:07:15 am by Rovers91 »
Like others have said, if McCann wants to use majority of his budget on the outfield options and get a keeper in he trusts and will be a cheaper option it makes sense.

Stocksbridge Owl

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on May 23, 2023, 08:13:37 am by Stocksbridge Owl »

Seems odd to come on another clubs forum and belittle them and some of our so called fans are liking this post! 

Eh? What’s your problem fella? I’ve as much right to post on here as you have! As I’ve mentioned on previous posts, I have family ties to Donny and Rovers in particular and I like to see Rovers do well. If you don’t like my post then either scroll on by or challenge my points?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on May 23, 2023, 08:27:08 am by Campsall rover »

Totally no need for that.
It’s good to hear from fans of other clubs.  Get their perspective on Rovers.
We make plenty of comments about other Clubs on this forum don’t we.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on May 23, 2023, 08:28:48 am by Alan Southstand »
You make fair and valid points, Stockbridge, but I have to take issue on one of your points and that is with players! There are plenty of mercenaries out there that will, if the money is right, play for anyone. Take note of L1 and L2 players that left their Clubs last season to go and play in the NL (particularly Wrexham and Notts County of course).

There’s also the ‘manager’ factor - certain players will sign for a Club if they feel inspired by a particular manager or coach. That’s been a factor, imho, with our last 2 managers, not to mention the finance package offered.

Hopefully, we’ll be challenging at the opposite end of L2 this coming season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012