Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:45:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Matthew Craig  (Read 8319 times)

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
Re: Matthew Craig
« Reply #30 on January 10, 2024, 04:33:31 pm by ForsolongaRover »
We always enthuse about loanees and let’s hope this one lives up to it all. You would expect him to be noticeably fitter and quicker in his thinking than any of the players we have now. I’ve lost count of the number of videos showing loanees scoring spectacular goals and imagined that this reflects what we might expect from them - and of course disappointment follows.

If he really has the quality and imagination to make those key passes which have been so lacking it might be just provide the vital link in midfield that has been lacking in our current risk-averse midfield. I’d stick him in instead of Close.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 10, 2024, 05:07:39 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
We always enthuse about loanees and let’s hope this one lives up to it all. You would expect him to be noticeably fitter and quicker in his thinking than any of the players we have now. I’ve lost count of the number of videos showing loanees scoring spectacular goals and imagined that this reflects what we might expect from them - and of course disappointment follows.

If he really has the quality and imagination to make those key passes which have been so lacking it might be just provide the vital link in midfield that has been lacking in our current risk-averse midfield. I’d stick him in instead of Close.

He will be in alongside Close, not a chance Close gets dropped.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 10, 2024, 05:10:09 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Totally agree, I expect Biggins to be dropped the big question is whether McCann keeps Rowe or plays Broadbent

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 10, 2024, 05:12:06 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Totally agree, I expect Biggins to be dropped the big question is whether McCann keeps Rowe or plays Broadbent
Will keep Rowe in for now with him scoring in his last 2 and is always a goal threat although hasn’t scored as many as he would’ve liked this season.

Wouldn’t be expecting Craig to come in and start straight away on Saturday, possibly Broadbent in the midfield for Biggins.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 10, 2024, 05:44:44 pm by selby »
  The team he is from, and the level he played at although briefly showing they think he is near to the level they want him at at a young age, I don't think he will be here to make our bench, especially after a defeat last weekend.
  We will be a stepping stone for him to play at a higher standard next season, and if I was a betting man I would be on him to play most matches like Faal injury allowing.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 10, 2024, 08:24:28 pm by StocksArmy »
With all due respect to Newport, I think Saturday is the perfect opportunity to get the 3 new lads in from the start. We are off the back of a loss, at home against a team one place higher in the league table. Seems like a game that has a bit of a free hit feel to it so would be nice to see them all in for Olowu, Rowe or Biggins and Faal.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 10, 2024, 08:29:22 pm by drfchound »

That first paragraph…… my feelings too.

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 10, 2024, 09:11:40 pm by WarwickRover »
  The team he is from, and the level he played at although briefly showing they think he is near to the level they want him at at a young age, I don't think he will be here to make our bench, especially after a defeat last weekend.
  We will be a stepping stone for him to play at a higher standard next season, and if I was a betting man I would be on him to play most matches like Faal injury allowing.

Assuming that you maybe  a betting man what odds would you give him be selected more than 10 matches (from the start)?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 11, 2024, 01:04:11 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Assuming that you maybe  a betting man what odds would you give him be selected more than 10 matches (from the start)?

10/1  meaning you bet £10 to win £1 and I'm being generous
it's obvious he should have gone to a League one team not a League 2 team ( let's  forget about that "dud Thomas " we signed from them who they soon released)  - Craig signed a long term deal in the Summer of 2023 as I said.

and it's obvious we splashed the cash (plus the joker card playing)  to outbid  league one teams

I have been watching Plymouth for 3 years now seeing how they splash the cash to fill half the team with top quality loanees --- GRANT KNOWS THIS TRICK AS WELL AND HAS GOT THE T_SHIRT -- easy if you have the pennies

:::Plymouth have just taken a tottenham 18 year old on loan as a couple of their loanees have been recalled :  let's call it a library book team 

remember  our joker card - in that Mason knows we are a family club with a Championship Stadium and pitch - we have a reputation for not playing "hoof ball land of the giants " football and we helped his career

the joker card ?

"In August 2010, Mason was loaned for the first time to Championship team Doncaster Rovers on a two-month loan deal,[15] and made five appearances.[16] Then in January 2011, he was loaned back to Doncaster until the end of the season[17] and made a further ten appearances.[16]

On 28 July 2011, Mason signed a new two-year contract with Tottenham, keeping him at the club until June 2013. He was then immediately loaned back to Doncaster on a season-long loan.[18][19] Mason was recalled back to Tottenham in November 2011 after making five appearances since the start of the season.[20] On 29 December 2011, Mason and teammate Harry Kane agreed a loan deal with Championship club Millwall from 1 January until the end of the season.[21]"

Mason will remember the circumstances of his recall ? (was he injured ?)

Season changing loan ??  me thinx yes

now what are those odds

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:14:37 am by Colemans Left Hook »

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 11, 2024, 07:43:48 am by KingKendrick »

it's obvious he should have gone to a League one team not a League 2 team ( let's  forget about that "dud Thomas " we signed from them who they soon released)  - Craig signed a long term deal in the Summer of 2023 as I said.

and it's obvious we splashed the cash (plus the joker card playing)  to outbid  league one teams

I have been watching Plymouth for 3 years now seeing how they splash the cash to fill half the team with top quality loanees --- GRANT KNOWS THIS TRICK AS WELL AND HAS GOT THE T_SHIRT -- easy if you have the pennies

:::Plymouth have just taken a tottenham 18 year old on loan as a couple of their loanees have been recalled :  let's call it a library book team 

remember  our joker card - in that Mason knows we are a family club with a Championship Stadium and pitch - we have a reputation for not playing "hoof ball land of the giants " football and we helped his career

the joker card ?

"In August 2010, Mason was loaned for the first time to Championship team Doncaster Rovers on a two-month loan deal,[15] and made five appearances.[16] Then in January 2011, he was loaned back to Doncaster until the end of the season[17] and made a further ten appearances.[16]

On 28 July 2011, Mason signed a new two-year contract with Tottenham, keeping him at the club until June 2013. He was then immediately loaned back to Doncaster on a season-long loan.[18][19] Mason was recalled back to Tottenham in November 2011 after making five appearances since the start of the season.[20] On 29 December 2011, Mason and teammate Harry Kane agreed a loan deal with Championship club Millwall from 1 January until the end of the season.[21]"

now what are those odds

That’s 1/10 mate

Ian Nimmo

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 11, 2024, 08:49:01 am by Ian Nimmo »
I believe it will be odds on he will be in the team from the off, subject to his current match fitness. Clearly grant is not happy with the current performances, thus the current midfield players will have to prove to grant they are worthy of a place, be like any other young player, it’s likely he will not play the whole 90 mins in the initial games.

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 11, 2024, 09:53:07 pm by WarwickRover »

the joker card ?

now what are those odds

the joker card ?

now what are those odds

[/quote

the joker card ?

now what are those odds

Are saying that he is 10/1 to be selected for more than 10 matches?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 11, 2024, 10:45:13 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Kendrick "when I said now what are those odds "  I was referring to our chances of a top half finish which have massively improved    ... we are now in calm waters

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 14, 2024, 12:07:00 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Nice to see that McCann has put his stamp on the recruitment process........."do you have a girlfriend?" indeed  :laugh:

That question is probably more important than you realise. It’s about perceived professionalism and maturity. The view would be that if he has a girlfriend he is less likely to go out on benders with his mates and potentially getting into trouble
Some clubs encourage players to form relationships and have families young to help them become ‘sensible’ and ‘mature’

Anyway - welcome Matt!

Apparently they offered us Casanova   :evil:  but we decided he was too good on the balls and high risk

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/teams/under-21/players/dante-cassanova/

this one sounds like a "goodun"  he's an identical twin   both at Tottenham so we should have asked for a BOGOFF

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2023/july/craig-signs-new-contract/

"Craig was handed his Premier League debut on the final day of last season’s Premier League by Ryan Mason as he came on for the last 13 minutes of the club’s 4-1 win away at Elland Road.

https://www.tottenhamhotspurnews.com/youth/view-tottenham-push-to-future-continues-as-matthew-craig-commits-future-to-spurs/

"....   After coming onto the pitch, Craig won 100 per cent of his ground duels, made 11 touches, registered a successful passing accuracy of 83 per cent and made four tackles without being dribbled past once (SofaScore)."

and to think the crapp one or two of you posted after his debut  :headbang:

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 14, 2024, 09:32:14 am by ncRover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 14, 2024, 09:52:32 am by drfchound »
https://youtu.be/ThhgluOPq1k?si=QEbXxDOLSjrwYKFy

A good and honest appraisal from Matty there.
The bit about having to learn how to cook for himself shows how he is having to adapt to his life right now.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 20, 2024, 09:18:40 pm by ncRover »
Was looking at tonight’s games and thought Reading had stole him off us!

His identical twin brother plays for them. Same position.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 24, 2024, 04:59:46 pm by jmt23 »
Crikey this lad is some player, grit, skill, one hell of an engine. Great to watch

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 24, 2024, 05:31:56 pm by roversdude »
Deserved MOTM today just ahead of Bailey and Biggins

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 24, 2024, 05:34:01 pm by mushRTID »
He was brilliant. He is brilliant.

Pleased Biggins has been mentioned too, he’s took a lot of stick but was exceptional today also.

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 24, 2024, 05:40:23 pm by The Dav »
Before today I must say I was in the Biggins out brigade, however he was superb today ! That’s the best I’ve seen him play in the hoops, Craig is just different gravy.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 24, 2024, 05:42:54 pm by Filo »
Hands up for me, first couple of games I thought he looked out of his depth, he now seems to have grasped what it takes in mens football, excellent today, as was Biggins whi I’ve been critical of in the past

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 24, 2024, 05:57:12 pm by Peebles Rover »
Watching him live today, was so impressed with Matty Craig. Winning so many tackles and very calm on his he ball. As per poster above, was slightly surprised how good Biggins looked

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 24, 2024, 05:58:52 pm by GazLaz »
Thought it was interesting when GM said he was a “sensational player”. Don’t usually hear managers say things as clear as that.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on February 24, 2024, 06:02:47 pm by Filo »
Amazing what a functioning midfield gives you

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 24, 2024, 06:02:55 pm by Campsall rover »
Mathew Craig MOM by a mile.

I actually thought Biggins was better last week at Grimsby.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 24, 2024, 06:13:31 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Westbrook still to come back. Likely where Biggins and Waters have been playing

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 24, 2024, 06:15:52 pm by adamtherover »
Westbrook still to come back. Likely where Biggins and Waters have been playing
thought waters was outstanding when he came on today.,  his best game....

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 24, 2024, 06:26:35 pm by RoversInSpain »
Craig was total quality today, everything we have missed in the middle. Please can he do a full season with us next year?
Biggins looks like it’s dawned on him his contract is up soon (if that is the case). Looked up for it, ran at defenders and got some tackles in. So where has that been the last year?
A mention for Sterry getting better every game, hope his head is ok and we just took him off so we weren’t a man short for 30 seconds.
5 unbeaten….. let’s keep it going.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 24, 2024, 06:38:08 pm by andysly »
Exceptional player, does everything a good midfielder should do and does it very well. Had won MoM by HT.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012