Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:07:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Westbrooke  (Read 1534 times)

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
Westbrooke
« on October 22, 2023, 04:17:36 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
I think it's worth mentioning as he's gone a bit under the radar compared to some others, but for me he's been just as important a permanent signing as Ironside or Bailey. I was in the minority that was happy we re-signed him, as I felt he showed glimpses last season whilst playing in a completely broken team.

It's pretty much agreed that from the second half at MK Dons onwards, the performances vastly improved. Westbrooke came on at half time in that game and has been pretty much ever present since (we were terrible after he was subbed off at Barrow).

He shows great energy getting around the pitch, and often leads the press. He constantly shows for the ball and generally uses it well and looks to play forwards. He's also linked up really well with Close, and is a big reason for his improvement recently too, as Close finally has a midfield partner on his wavelength.

We have a functioning midfield again, and for me Westbrooke has played a huge part in that. I just felt he deserved a mention alongside all the other players who are also doing so well recently.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Westbrooke
« Reply #1 on October 22, 2023, 04:23:37 pm by Donnywolf »
Phew ... Yes I agree as well

Heart skipped a beat though as seeing title Westbrooke usually means open thread and see "out for X weeks X months or for season"

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 22, 2023, 04:36:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's was always uncertainty how well he and Close would play together, some thinking they'd be too lightweight, but if  they're good on the ball and intelligent, they don't have to be tough. I thought they would need to be anchored by Bailey or someone, but they seem to cope up and down the pitch quite well. Should be no surprise Close picked out Westbrookes run the other night with that sublime pass. They're reading each others game very well and are a joy to watch.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 22, 2023, 04:39:49 pm by philsky »
Love the partnership with Close.

Been bossing the midfield for a few weeks now

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 22, 2023, 07:17:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Schofield was playing him left wing wasn’t he?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 22, 2023, 07:26:56 pm by ncRover »
Remember the majority in summer complaining there was no marquee signing?

Sometimes you’ve got to be smart enough to find a diamond in the rough to get value for money.

Turns out the quantity of players has been very important too.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 22, 2023, 07:57:48 pm by selby »
  A very important player for us the way he is playing, he looks a lot more fitter than last season,  when he came in  undercooked having trained alone as far as I am led to believe and at his best covers a lot of ground and gets on the ball, his football ability is above league two level and we are giving him a shop window to show it, and he has been instrumental in our better form of late.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 22, 2023, 09:02:26 pm by Campsall rover »
  A very important player for us the way he is playing, he looks a lot more fitter than last season,  when he came in  undercooked having trained alone as far as I am led to believe and at his best covers a lot of ground and gets on the ball, his football ability is above league two level and we are giving him a shop window to show it, and he has been instrumental in our better form of late.
When we played Bristol Rovers in Sept 2020 at the Keepmoat a game with no fans due to Covid. I watched on the I pad and I remember Westbrooke being Bristol Rovers outstanding player on the day.
A game we won 3-1 I think
Last season he looked a shadow of that player I saw that day. This season he is blossoming into a very good midfielder under GM. He is building a very good partnership with Ben Close who is now looking like the player we all thought we were getting when Wellens signed him in the summer of 2021

It was a surprise to me when Westbrooke was offered fresh term by GM this summer but it looks now like a very astute decision.
Our midfield players are now performing as they should be. Work rate is there and they are all doing both the defensive and attacking part of a midfielders role. So refreshing to see after the last 2 seasons where our midfield has been nothing short of inept.
When we get a couple of our full backs fit again then a central midfield of Bailey, Close and Westbrooke will be formidable in this league.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 22, 2023, 09:06:09 pm by Butchers Red »
The ball that Close slid through to Westbrooke for Biggo's goal would have been squared by Wellens 9/10 times.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 23, 2023, 03:14:20 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Looking a good signing, especially on a free transfer.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 23, 2023, 08:45:18 am by Donnywolf »
Love the partnership with Close.

Been bossing the midfield for a few weeks now

... and I remember seeing / reading Zain was a long shot scorer , many well outside the Box and nice to see the Sutton shot hammer the post and the follow up shot finding the net

Let's hope there are more to come ( but going inside the post ) in games to come

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 23, 2023, 08:53:09 am by TonySoprano »
Excellent player, very tidy.
Would like to see his stats, I imagine his completed passes stat is Excellent. 

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 23, 2023, 10:33:03 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Been very impressed with him so far this season, another one of a number of player that McCann has got a time out of that are like new signings compared to last season.

Keeps things simple in the midfield (rarely see him try a Hollywood pass) and compliments Close really well as he lets him
Be more adventurous. I spoke to a Cov fan I know last week and it sounds like he’s now playing the role that he played there whereas under schofield he played mostly as a right hand side 10.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012