Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:23:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

When underperforming should be team be booed on a match day?

Yes
49 (54.4%)
No
41 (45.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: December 04, 2017, 11:12:51 am

Author Topic: Saturday (booing and show of discontent)  (Read 4845 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Saturday (booing and show of discontent)
« on November 27, 2017, 10:01:34 am by roverstillidie91 »
I was watching the West Ham game and how the fans got behind the team even when behind and showed slight signs of encouragement when they was losing by the same score line.

What I did notice was the difference between being behind and when we was ahead and how positive the crowd sounded when we scored the goals and went ahead in the game.

Would it be more beneficial to the team as we pay our money to SUPPORT the players and not boo them and show our anger towards them as we did on Saturday and actually encourage and help them out of the bad patch with confidence being low?

Of course Saturday's game would have given them more confidence however I feel when they are under the cosh stick is given towards them I have never personally booed the team when attending all Rovers games.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Saturday (booing and show of discontent)
« Reply #1 on November 27, 2017, 10:04:28 am by Filo »
You've not seen the West Ham fans booing previously then?

I suspect the encouragement at the weekend was more to do with getting behind a new manager and the team showing a bit more enthusiasm than before

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 27, 2017, 10:07:33 am by BigKeif »
I didn’t boo on Saturday and I never will RIT91 but I can also agree that all of us had a right to be really pee’d off at that first half performance so in a way I don’t blame the fans that did boo.

In my opinion I think that was a rocket up fergies arse to give one to them players at half time too as it was unacceptable that first half showing.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 27, 2017, 10:46:34 am by The Red Baron »
I didn’t boo on Saturday and I never will RIT91 but I can also agree that all of us had a right to be really pee’d off at that first half performance so in a way I don’t blame the fans that did boo.

In my opinion I think that was a rocket up fergies arse to give one to them players at half time too as it was unacceptable that first half showing.

I agree. I thought the booing at half time was (a) totally justified and (b) seemed to produce the "reaction" that Fergie is always on about after we lose.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 27, 2017, 10:47:40 am by drfchound »

I never boo the team either Keith and your thoughts on the Fergie thing are mine too.

Super Colin Cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 27, 2017, 10:48:55 am by Super Colin Cramb »
I didn’t boo on Saturday and attend matches to encourage and hopefully see a victory. In the 1st half on Saturday they were clearly struggling and to get booed just made the situation worse. This lead to players not wanting the ball or not feeling they can try something incase they make a mistake and get berate for it.

We need to support the team through thick and thin and this will help the team opposed to bring a hindrance. Are fans do seem to be a little fickle.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 27, 2017, 11:35:47 am by wing commander »
   I would disagree with that tbh...I didn't think they were overly booed in that first half..Yes there was moans and groans when they did something stupid (which was often) and yes the black bank asked Fergy to sort it out a couple of times but they also gave them plenty of backing at times too..

I've been to a lot of football matches were the booing when the games in play has been massively worse than that..The only time they got heavily booed was when they were walking off at half time and I didn't have a issue with that because frankly they deserved it...

You could strongly argue it didn't do them that much harm or hindrance because we were a different side second half.Football is getting sterile enough without taking the heat of the moment passion out of it too...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 27, 2017, 11:43:59 am by IDM »
I don’t boo the team after a poor performance, I simply walk away in quiet disappointment..

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 27, 2017, 11:54:55 am by Bezza »
well the 2nd half performance was a massive improvement, so did the booing help ?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 27, 2017, 11:58:37 am by hoolahoop »
I don't boo it achieves nothing - I am a supporter. Supporters imo DON'T boo, the clue is in the name.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 27, 2017, 12:01:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If someone clapped and cheered me after I'd made a mistake I'd think they were taking the piss.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 27, 2017, 12:42:49 pm by chrisd_123 »
I'm not a fan of booing and often question fans who do but Saturday was completely justified.

Booing constantly achieves nothing but I think it's fair to say the booing on Saturday was justified.

Fans coming out in the cold, paying money and get served that first half.

If you'd gone to a restaurant and had customer service to the same level of that first half performance, you'd complain. (Probably a terrible analogy but you get what I mean)

I wouldn't say there was that much booing (apart from half time) anyway. For me it was more that I couldn't quite believe 11 professional footballers could put on such a turgid display at home against an average side.

Super Colin Cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 27, 2017, 01:12:35 pm by Super Colin Cramb »
   I would disagree with that tbh...I didn't think they were overly booed in that first half..Yes there was moans and groans when they did something stupid (which was often) and yes the black bank asked Fergy to sort it out a couple of times but they also gave them plenty of backing at times too..

I sit in the west stand and there was plenty of booing going off in the 1st half.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 27, 2017, 01:18:28 pm by since-1969 »
Supporters are just venting their frustration but it can get personal at times and that’s where it gets out of control . I sat near someone who’s voice of discontent MUST have been heard by Fergie and you know what !!! It worked as we won . So I say aim it at the right person for the right reason.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 27, 2017, 01:46:02 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
Fergie said that they deserved the adverse reaction after the first half performance. He also said on interview that at half time he didn't stick into them he thought on this occasion that they needed encouragement rather than telling off ( note to fans ) He told them to really go at it in the first fifteen minutes to try to control the game and see where that got them. That and Alfie Beestin seems to have worked wonders.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 27, 2017, 01:51:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He was more likely speechless and turned off his hairdryer in desperation.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 27, 2017, 02:09:55 pm by godlike1 »
The performance in the 1st half was appalling. We were lucky the MK did not score more otherwise it would be pandemonium on here if we'd had lost.

We may well have only just been out of the bottom 4 on goal difference as its v tight in this league at the moment.

I sometimes think that if the fans don't show some displeasure, the player turn up thinking its ok to play that bad as we will just accept it.  Even if the manager has a go.

Therefore if its justified by a particularly bad performance on the back of a run of bad/poor results then I would say yes booing can just be justified.

I don't agree when a top prem club have fans booing if they are mid table for example, or loosing for the first time in an age. I've heard that alot on motd

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 27, 2017, 02:18:20 pm by bobjimwilly »
I sat near someone who’s voice of discontent MUST have been heard by Fergie and you know what !!! It worked as we won . So I say aim it at the right person for the right reason.

So we won because Fergie heard  a supporter shouting at him?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 27, 2017, 02:42:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You should go to Go Outdoors on Bawtry road if you think the Keepmoat was bad on Saturday. There was a right show of discount tents there today.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 27, 2017, 03:00:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
In the relegation season to league two the crowd got behind the team to unprecedented levels at the keepmoat, giving levels of support frankly not warranting the performances, and ultimately it did naff all.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 27, 2017, 03:05:53 pm by Copps is Magic »
As someone who sings like a bad Tina Turner tribute act, home, away or even Scunthorpe, this idea that if you didn't clap one of the worst 1st half performances in living memory, you are somehow a lesser fan, is a load.of.old b*llocks.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 27, 2017, 03:57:48 pm by IDM »
Thats partly what I meant CIM - I don't applaud a poor performance either, I just go away quietly..

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 27, 2017, 06:54:07 pm by bpoolrover »
I can't think of 1 team who played like we did 1st half who would not get booed off, sometimes they need to no that your utterly pissed off with them, try came out 2nd half miles better so certainly did no harm

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 27, 2017, 07:27:04 pm by i_ateallthepies »
It should be taken in perspective.  Our support aren't in the habit of booing the team so when it happens as it did on Saturday it would have been seen by the players as a fair show of dissatisfaction at the team's performance.  As already said, the second half performance showed that used correctly booing isn't always destructive.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 27, 2017, 08:02:20 pm by phil old leake »
I feel that booing at half time and full time is ok if the game has stopped. The people singing we're fxxxing sxxx and booing the players are fools.  How can booing and insulting the players help.  I absolutely agree the first half on Saturday was sxxx. Possibly the worst I've see for along time.   I just cannot see what fans hope to achieve by booing.
With regard to Filo's comments about West Ham fans a few years ago I was working away and went to watch Man C v WHU at the Etihad. It ended 6 nil to City and the WHU fans never stopped singing and supporting. They were awesome

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 27, 2017, 08:55:19 pm by Filo »
I feel that booing at half time and full time is ok if the game has stopped. The people singing we're fxxxing sxxx and booing the players are fools.  How can booing and insulting the players help.  I absolutely agree the first half on Saturday was sxxx. Possibly the worst I've see for along time.   I just cannot see what fans hope to achieve by booing.
With regard to Filo's comments about West Ham fans a few years ago I was working away and went to watch Man C v WHU at the Etihad. It ended 6 nil to City and the WHU fans never stopped singing and supporting. They were awesome

That would have been at Upton Park, where the atmosphere and support has always been top notch. Theres been plenty of booing since they moved to the Olympic Stadium

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 27, 2017, 09:04:09 pm by RoversAlias »
He said it was at the Etihad...

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 27, 2017, 10:41:55 pm by anne honemous »
I don't believe booing helps the team - it certainly doesn't help during the course of a game anyway.

Sometimes I think it can give certain players easy excuses to use such as 'I'm worried about playing at home because we got booed last week' when the reality is that player has performed badly for weeks, before the booing even started, and is worried about losing his place in the team.

Ultimately, it all comes back to the manager though.

If he recruits players with those characteristics who'll hide behind excuses, then he should take responsibility for bringing them into the club in the first place.

That's before his tactics, management, playing style, results and everything else is even factored into the equation.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 28, 2017, 09:39:05 am by mrfrostsdad »
To go back to the original post, the West Ham fans are the worst I've heard at booing their team. Every time they've been on telly they've been boo'd by the very few fans left in the stadium.
To get back to us on Saturday, I pay for my season ticket, travel all the way from Scarborough every week, sit and freeze my nads off for 2 hours, drive home in the dark and cold, often in pishing down with rain - and worse - to see a performance like the first half, where it appeared no-one had a clue what they were doing or gave a toss what they were doing, then it is more than acceptable to boo (I didn't at half time - I was already queuing for a coffee cos I was frozen) How else can anyone make their feelings known at a football match.
Quite frankly, I would suggest that if anyone performed like that in their day to day work, they would get the sack. I know I would

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 28, 2017, 11:07:58 am by phil old leake »
I don’t agree with booing but comments above about bad performance at work and losing your job I do agree with. Some of the players from Saturday would be well past their final warnings

TinyPortal © 2005-2012