Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 01:52:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tomlin  (Read 4046 times)

philsky

• Forum Member
Tomlin
« on August 27, 2022, 07:51:43 pm by philsky »

Him and Rowe and Clayton.

The three amigos just winding up.

When the pen went in watch Tomlin, over to their fans, highlighting his name on his shirt and then a quick

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Tomlin
« Reply #1 on August 27, 2022, 07:54:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
All three very good at this level. Also are respectively 33 (34 in January), 33 (34 in September) and 33 (34 in January) respectively.

All look fit and well but it is a long old season in League Two.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 27, 2022, 07:55:14 pm by Filo »
It’s a must keeping Tomlin and Clayton fit, they are miles ahead of anything else in this league

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 27, 2022, 07:55:29 pm by Jonathan »
Tomlin is an exceptional footballer. Pretty much every time he gets the ball he makes something happen, and before you’ve finished wondering what he’s going to do he’s already done something that you can’t even spot from the stands. Special talent.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 27, 2022, 07:59:17 pm by danumdon »
Tomlin is an exceptional footballer. Pretty much every time he gets the ball he makes something happen, and before you’ve finished wondering what he’s going to do he’s already done something that you can’t even spot from the stands. Special talent.

His first touch and control is exceptional for any league never mind Div 4, what he could achieve with the correct support and backing in this team is unfathomable.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 27, 2022, 09:06:54 pm by Jonathan »
On the subject of Tomlin, Clayton and Rowe, personally I’m hoping they’re all left out of the squad for Tuesday. They don’t need to play in the Papa Johns games at all and it’s far more important for them to be fresh for the league.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 27, 2022, 09:16:58 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
On the subject of Tomlin, Clayton and Rowe, personally I’m hoping they’re all left out of the squad for Tuesday. They don’t need to play in the Papa Johns games at all and it’s far more important for them to be fresh for the league.

What’s the rules for that one now? Last year you could only make so many changes or something like that…

In any case we’ll be able to make enough changed to rest them. Hope Kuleya gets a start and Taylor can play a bit

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 27, 2022, 09:29:49 pm by RoversAlias »

Him and Rowe and Clayton.

The three amigos just winding up.

When the pen went in watch Tomlin, over to their fans, highlighting his name on his shirt and then a quick

He will have enjoyed winding them up today as a former Peterborough and Rushden player.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 27, 2022, 09:37:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tomlin's turn that led to the penalty was sublime. I've watched it 4 times and I still don't know how he managed to throw the defender off. He's an utter joy to watch.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 27, 2022, 10:18:29 pm by Jonathan »
The great thing with Tomlin is that he’s really bought into what we’re trying to do. He’s got himself fit, he joins in the press and he’s willing to drop into position and cover as part of the team. In fairness McSheffrey said in pre-season that the lads love him and you can see why. When you combine these traits with his outrageous technical ability you can see why McSheffrey was so desperate to sign him.

Man management is obviously key here and we’ve found a way of reigniting something in a special player. I feel like there’s more to come and he’ll get better and better as the team continues to gel.

As a fan I find I’m going to games excited to see what Tomlin can do. These are the reasons I fell in love with the game in the first place. Hard to give higher praise than that. As has been said above, he’s a joy to watch.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:21:59 pm by Jonathan »

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 27, 2022, 10:26:44 pm by Canadian Rover »
He's a joy to watch on the TV I can't wait to see him live in person.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 28, 2022, 08:50:31 am by philsky »
And he's got an uncanny skill of looking uninterested and slow and then he's gone.

There was one occasion yesterday in the second half where I think 4 opposition players seemed mesmerised.

I do actually see some comparisons with Lee Trundle, big guys and both with remarkably fast feet and a super clever mind.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 11:20:13 pm by Forum Admin »

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 28, 2022, 09:07:08 am by anton123 »
You look at him and think are u really going to try an run past this young quick lad ? Then he runs past 3 or 4 of them and leaves them for dead as he positions his body in a way where they can’t get to the ball , such a talented player and if we keep him fit will give us a great chance of going up automatically

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 28, 2022, 09:16:24 am by selby »
  The answer to everything with Tomlin is just get him out on the field of play, and let him enjoy himself.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 28, 2022, 09:24:19 am by Alickismyhero »
One aspect of his game was missing in this game and it was his shooting.

We all know that he can hit a ball very hard from outside the box but alas not in this game.

It does concern me that he has this cheeky side to his character
1. The incident at Bradford.
2. The patting on the back of the player that was sent off in the last game.
3. The waving to the home crowd as they left the stadium.

Uncalled for? yes but its that what makes him tick.

The thing what hit me in this game was this over weight figure gave me a flashback to King Alick doing the unexpected. (Just a little anyway)

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 28, 2022, 09:39:21 am by rich1471 »
He can carry the extra bit of weight at this level as his intelligence gives him a few yards start

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 28, 2022, 09:45:16 am by philsky »
He can carry the extra bit of weight at this level as his intelligence gives him a few yards start

100% and it's bizarre watching opposition players looking completely dumfounded

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 28, 2022, 09:46:26 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Don't think he's overweight personally. That extra size, if you want to call it that, is sometimes a good think for a player who takes the ball into contact or in tight areas to hold players off.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 28, 2022, 12:02:02 pm by Lesonthewest »
Tomlin's turn that led to the penalty was sublime. I've watched it 4 times and I still don't know how he managed to throw the defender off. He's an utter joy to watch.
y

I thought we'd lost skills like this when Copps hung his boots up. Pleasure to watch.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 28, 2022, 12:07:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd expected flashes of this sort of ability against the weaker sides. But, Bradford apart, he's done it against a string of promotion contenders. I dread to think what he might do when we come up against a real struggler.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 28, 2022, 12:08:31 pm by Lesonthewest »
I was critical of him at Bradford & I stick by my comments, I loved watching him play yesterday & have said so, & I stick by those too. All about what your opinion is on what you witness on the day really.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 11:21:02 pm by Forum Admin »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 28, 2022, 12:10:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Exactly Les.

Tomlin's performances recently don't alter the fact he acted like a dick at Bradford

The fact he acted like a dick at Bradford doesn't stop me purring o er some of the stuff I've seen from him since.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 28, 2022, 12:13:51 pm by Lesonthewest »
Exactly Les.

Tomlin's performances recently don't alter the fact he acted like a dick at Bradford

The fact he acted like a dick at Bradford doesn't stop me purring o er some of the stuff I've seen from him since.

Absolutely, & yesterday he looked so much fitter than he did in the Bradford game.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 28, 2022, 12:43:13 pm by Drover »
One aspect of his game was missing in this game and it was his shooting.

We all know that he can hit a ball very hard from outside the box but alas not in this game.

It does concern me that he has this cheeky side to his character
1. The incident at Bradford.
2. The patting on the back of the player that was sent off in the last game.
3. The waving to the home crowd as they left the stadium.

Uncalled for? yes but its that what makes him tick.

The thing what hit me in this game was this over weight figure gave me a flashback to King Alick doing the unexpected. (Just a little anyway)

Reading your post reminded me of the shinanegans of Jamie Paterson,was fun to see,but I could'nt help worrying it might cost us.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 12:46:37 pm by Drover »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 28, 2022, 12:46:13 pm by Jonathan »
Feel like that should be the line drawn here.

I said immediately after Bradford that we needed to move on, and was shot down in flames from several quarters (primarily on Twitter) for not appreciating how supposedly serious the situation was. Not once did I say I condoned what happened on that day (in fact I made it clear I didn’t) but the cat calls to cancel his contract (again primarily on Twitter) were hard to miss, and I think it’s understandable that nonsense on that scale sticks in the mind irrespective of the source. It’s not about individuals and who said what. There was a ridiculous overreaction to a moment of stupidity - something I think we can all be guilty of, but we’re not in the public eye. Tomlin himself said the viral reaction could have broken less experienced players.

Of course it’s transpired that the best thing for all of us was indeed to move on, as that’s what the club did and here we are. And I think there are times when all of us (and I include myself in this) would be well advised to think before we type and just simmer a little. It doesn’t help one bit that every time things go wrong (and we’ll inevitably hit a sticky patch this season) it results in calls for sackings and wholesale changes. People were calling for McSheffrey to be sacked when we lost in the f**king Carabao Cup! It’s exhausting! And before somebody points out that it’s equally unhelpful of me to be pointing out these reactions, let’s draw a line and make an effort to unite behind club, players and manager in good times and bad.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 12:48:40 pm by Jonathan »

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 28, 2022, 12:56:19 pm by Drover »
Heffs got himself sent off for headbutting in the plays-offs at Southend,arguably a much bigger game than Tomlin at Bradford,and was then suspended for the 2nd leg,how many fans wanted to tear his contract up then?Think there was only SOD who wanted too.Players make the odd mistake,unless they do it continuously,critise then move on.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 28, 2022, 01:24:47 pm by IDM »
Heffs got himself sent off for headbutting in the plays-offs at Southend,arguably a much bigger game than Tomlin at Bradford,and was then suspended for the 2nd leg,how many fans wanted to tear his contract up then?Think there was only SOD who wanted too.Players make the odd mistake,unless they do it continuously,critise then move on.

That wasn't Heffs' competitive debut though.

I think I called Tomlin a "stupid Kitson" for his antics at Bradford, and stand by that.  But he's served a suspension and apologised.  Since then, his contributions have been massively positive.

The only justification to "sack" Tomlin (after Bradford) would be if that behaviour was repeated and habitual.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 28, 2022, 01:37:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

That wasn't Heffs' competitive debut though.

I think I called Tomlin a "stupid Kitson" for his antics at Bradford, and stand by that.  But he's served a suspension and apologised.  Since then, his contributions have been massively positive.

The only justification to "sack" Tomlin (after Bradford) would be if that behaviour was repeated and habitual.

Heffernan's was a momentary red mist. That shouldn't happen, but it does. It has done to far better players with far more at stake (2006 WC final anyone?)

Tomlin's red card was a different beast altogether. I have never seen a player goad a ref like that over such a long period. I think that's why so many people were so pissed off.

But his response has been exemplary and long may it go on.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 28, 2022, 01:49:42 pm by Bollinger »
Cobblers’ fan’s forums are all praising Tomlin in a big way. There’s even a bit of begrudging respect for DRFC as a good side with a game plan.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 28, 2022, 01:50:50 pm by Jonathan »
So, back to Tomlin and how superb he has been in recent weeks, I’ve not felt as excited to watch an individual player live for quite some time. We were spoilt with how good Coppinger was for so many years, and that ability to draw gasps from the crowd with a single touch. It was always going to be difficult to replace that, and Tomlin is a very different player. But the technical quality and the ability to do something outrageous with the ball is real edge of your seat stuff, and when he gets the ball facing goal you instantly have confidence in him to pick the right option, even if you haven’t spotted it yourself yet. Great to watch.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012