Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:07:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger  (Read 13592 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: Coppinger
« Reply #60 on August 20, 2016, 02:12:42 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Ian Harte is the best and most consistent set piece taker i have seen. He was consistently good for a fair few seasons, give him a 'deadball' whether it be a penalty, free kick or corner in his prime and he caused damage to a lot of teams, going from the top teams and down the leagues.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 20, 2016, 09:55:10 am by Chris Black come back »
Could have been Douglas Bader taking corners for Reading and they would still have been on the money. We never ever do anything against them. Ever. Ever.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 20, 2016, 12:47:07 pm by drfchound »
We did exceptionally well to get a draw that day.
Somehow they only got one goal.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 20, 2016, 10:27:47 pm by IDM »
Could have been Douglas Bader taking corners for Reading and they would still have been on the money. We never ever do anything against them. Ever. Ever.

That's not quite true is it?

OK,a few decades ago now but how many did Alan Brown score at their place, and I saw us hit 7 to their 5 in 1982...

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on August 20, 2016, 10:56:52 pm by BobG »
And I once saw Les Chappell give us a win at Elm Park.

As for strikers of dead balls, I honestly do believe Glynn Snodin was better than Ian Harte. But then, Glynn was better than Peter Lorimer too. He was more accurate as well as being just as fearsome.

BobG

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 20, 2016, 11:15:10 pm by RedRover45 »

OK,a few decades ago now but how many did Alan Brown score at their place, and I saw us hit 7 to their 5 in 1982...

Think that was Sept 1984. I was there that day and I'm sure we were 1-0 down before Alan Brown took over, scored a hat trick and we ended up winning 4-1 at Elm Park. Fair bit of trouble outside the ground at the end as I recall as it was Reading's first home defeat for about a year.

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 20, 2016, 11:18:45 pm by redwine »
If Alan hadn't been crocked not long after, I'm sure we would have been in the mix for promotion that season.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 21, 2016, 12:25:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Young 'uns, eh?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 22, 2016, 08:46:30 am by Copps is Magic »
I'd recommend anyone who's got a rovers player subscription to watch the full 10 minute highlight from Cheltenham. Copps played an absolute blinder.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on August 22, 2016, 10:10:03 am by The Red Baron »
The ball he played to Marquis for the goal was sublime. He's still got it, although he will have some days when he's more influential than others. Big job for Fergie to get the most out of him.

Only 3 more games for 500. Crewe or Morecambe away probably.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on August 22, 2016, 12:21:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He seems to have lifted his game. He's playing with much more purpose and authority. Last season he seemed to struggle at times with his form wearing the captains armband. Maybe trying too hard.

Now, he's playing that more central role with more direct play and less of the old dilly dallying. If he continues like this he'll be hard to shift...and who would want him to revert to wide right?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 22, 2016, 12:59:07 pm by GazLaz »
He was awful at Accrington. He's not improved from last season. Just playing against worse players.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on August 22, 2016, 01:41:58 pm by IDM »
He's not improved from last season. Just playing against worse players.

Last season is over.  If he is performing well now, regardless of the quality of the opposition, then he's good enough for me.

mattco

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 22, 2016, 01:47:11 pm by mattco »
Plays best at the top of the diamond behind front two.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 22, 2016, 03:55:29 pm by drfchound »
He was awful at Accrington. He's not improved from last season. Just playing against worse players.

Classic anti Coppinger statement.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 22, 2016, 04:05:19 pm by The Red Baron »

He's never been the most consistent of players. Had he been he'd have played at Premier League level. I didn't think he was all that bad last season. There were many worse and when he was injured our lack of creativity showed- at least until we got the likes of Rowe and McSheffrey in.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 22, 2016, 04:19:03 pm by Drover »

Classic anti Coppinger statement.

You could the same thing for about 80% of our players at Accrington?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:46:18 pm by Drover »

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 24, 2016, 05:14:23 pm by TheFunk »
I was expecting Rowe to be the best player in league 2 by a mile. He hasn't even been our best player. Coppinger has been, and I dread the day I won't see him in a Rovers shirt anymore.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 24, 2016, 05:19:30 pm by GazLaz »
I was expecting Rowe to be the best player in league 2 by a mile. He hasn't even been our best player. Coppinger has been, and I dread the day I won't see him in a Rovers shirt anymore.

I think Marquis has but I get your point. If Row had been given the position to play in that Copps has he would have stood out more. He's doing a disciplined job for the team though and has been very consistent.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 24, 2016, 05:20:51 pm by Alickismyhero »
You only had to see Copps thread that pass though for the goal on Saturday, he's still got enough to secure his position in the team. His improvement might have something to do with the team playing a back four?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 25, 2016, 12:25:11 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Coppinger i have always thought he plays best as a winger. The problem is do you want him slogging up and down the line?. When he has played central he has good games, but always seems to me suited to the wing.
 For me he is caught between both positions, play him centrally and you miss him on the wing, play him on the wing and you miss his subtle skills centrally. We could do with a 'coppinger clone' set up to play like he did at his best.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 25, 2016, 08:25:58 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think in the last couple of games we've seen some fire in his belly. He even got booked! He's certainly trying to lead from the front. He, Marquis, Blair are setting the standards at the mo and it's rubbing off on the rest of the team.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 25, 2016, 11:24:50 am by wing commander »
    I think you might be right Donnybaz..This is probably the first time in his career at Rovers were he thinks his place in the team isn't guaranteed...Since Fergy arrived, he hasn't been good and probably realised that many more Accrington performances coupled with a fit squad and he was likely to drop out..He probably knows this will be his last season too...
    On the last 2 performances he's well worth his place in the team.I don't think he has or ever will be a team captain though but that's easy to say from the stands without knowing him or seeing training etc etc...

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on August 25, 2016, 11:40:41 am by Donnywolf »
And I once saw Les Chappell give us a win at Elm Park.

As for strikers of dead balls, I honestly do believe Glynn Snodin was better than Ian Harte. But then, Glynn was better than Peter Lorimer too. He was more accurate as well as being just as fearsome.

BobG

Me too !

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 25, 2016, 11:43:45 am by Donnywolf »
I think in the last couple of games we've seen some fire in his belly. He even got booked! He's certainly trying to lead from the front. He, Marquis, Blair are setting the standards at the mo and it's rubbing off on the rest of the team.

Aye Booked - how ironic given he came from Exeter suspended. The feisty Copps was I think fettled by SOD although I still recall he was lucky on Keepmoat opening day v Terriers when he connected with a boot up the a**e of the Asian lad after he had been sent off

TinyPortal © 2005-2012