Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:23:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Urge your MP to attend FA reform debate  (Read 2837 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Urge your MP to attend FA reform debate
« on February 06, 2017, 11:40:42 am by silent majority »
Next week MPs will be debating the future of the FA and we've teamed up with Vote Football once again to help fans lobby their MPs.

On Thursday 9th February the House of Commons will debate a motion brought by Damian Collins MP, chair of the Media and Sport Select Committee, on pushing through Government-led reform of the FA.

The FSF and Vote Football hope as many MPs turn up and contribute to the debate as possible. So we're now giving you the opportunity to contact their MP directly on the matter.

Supporters can contact their constituency MP directly via the Vote Football webpage, which generates an email to the MP after selecting your football club and entering a postcode.

"The debate has been initiated by the CMS Select Committee in response to the failure of the FA to reform itself, despite repeatedly committing to do so over many years," Vote Football said.

"Governments of all political persuasions have threatened to reform the FA if it fails to do so itself, and we agree with the CMS Committee that that time has now come."
- See more at: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/urge-your-mp-to-attend-fa-reform-debate#sthash.KmLeFt1K.dpuf

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Urge your MP to attend FA reform debate
« Reply #1 on February 06, 2017, 11:42:50 am by silent majority »
The direct link in the post above hasn't worked but if you follow the FSF link then hit 'contact your MP' bit it takes you straight to the form. Fill in name and address and its all done for you.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 06, 2017, 12:51:39 pm by idler »
Done Martin.
I put Bradford City as my team to match my postcode. I wasn't sure if the MP would be as bothered if I put the Rovers down with a BD postcode.
🤔

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 06, 2017, 01:35:55 pm by Filo »
How will this tie in with FIFA's rules regarding government inerference?

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 06, 2017, 02:03:32 pm by Herman Hessian »
i'm (fairly) sure this is all very well intentioned, but it smacks of one set of cretins who immerse themselves in maladministration, corruption, flagrant wastes of money, mindless bureaucracy, tedious debates with no end product and the occasional ultimately pointless gesture to placate public opinion making noises about reforming another set of cretins who immerse themselves in maladministration, corruption, flagrant wastes of money, mindless bureaucracy, tedious debates with no end product and the occasional ultimately pointless gesture to placate public opinion

all they'll do is ask for better representation of minorities on the governing body to garner a few politically correct brownie points without addressing any of the endemic ineptitude, crass self-serving greed and general fückwittery that has defined the FA for decades

probably...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 06, 2017, 02:25:34 pm by silent majority »
Done Martin.
I put Bradford City as my team to match my postcode. I wasn't sure if the MP would be as bothered if I put the Rovers down with a BD postcode.
🤔

I understand that, my MP isn't a Doncaster one either. But I do it anyway, and when I see him I give him grief if he doesn't support the initiatives.!!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 06, 2017, 02:28:50 pm by silent majority »
How will this tie in with FIFA's rules regarding government inerference?

Forcing the FA to restructure itself to be more representative and to meet current guidelines on gender balance and equalities isn't at odds with the FIFA guidelines.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 06, 2017, 03:21:27 pm by silent majority »
Herman,

Damian Collins is an excellent MP when it comes to football issues. He's led on the previous Select Committee report into Governance and the vote of no confidence stems from that. This time I'm almost sure that something will break.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 06, 2017, 10:05:31 pm by BobG »
I've met Damian Collins. Quite impressive tbh. Agree though that the H's of P will likely end up doing sod all. Again.

BobG

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 06, 2017, 10:08:44 pm by drfchound »
I would be surprised if I got a response.
I emailed my MP, Caroline Flint, about something over a month ago and she still hasn't responded.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 06, 2017, 11:26:15 pm by The Red Baron »
I would be surprised if I got a response.
I emailed my MP, Caroline Flint, about something over a month ago and she still hasn't responded.

Unfortunately Caroline Flint is only interested in anything that will give her a photo opportunity.

That's where I have some sympathy for Corbyn, although I think he's rather weak (when he was first elected I called him a Tony Benn tribute act and I've seen nothing to persuade me otherwise).

But people do want politicians whom they see as authentic. The right has managed to convey the likes of Trump, Garage and maybe Le Pen as such. Will the centre-left do so? I won't hold my breath.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 06, 2017, 11:26:37 pm by silent majority »
Well now's the opportunity, enough people on here moan about the FA, time to make your mark.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 06, 2017, 11:37:11 pm by johnny rovers »
Done, Ed miliband best be red and white and not just red!

Are there likely to be any discussions on safe standing or is that for another day!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 07, 2017, 10:25:08 am by silent majority »

Are there likely to be any discussions on safe standing or is that for another day!

Safe standing is a separate issue and behind the scenes great progress has been made in recent months. We probably wouldn't need a debate of this nature to see it through.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 07, 2017, 10:32:46 am by Herman Hessian »

Safe standing is a separate issue and behind the scenes great progress has been made in recent months. We probably wouldn't need a debate of this nature to see it through.

quite amusing how the "yellow wall" at Borussia Dortmund is always held up as the ideal as to what a safe standing terrace can be like - i'd love to see the apoplexy in this country if any terrace was covered in the obscene banners that were all over the place for their game against Red Bull Leipzig at the weekend, not to mention all the beatings handed out to the visiting supporters...

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 07, 2017, 10:46:34 am by VivaRovers »
Whilst I see merit in the initiative, there's a multitude of things I feel my MP ought to be addressing before they get onto the governance of football.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 07, 2017, 10:52:29 am by DonnyNoel »
Whilst I see merit in the initiative, there's a multitude of things I feel my MP ought to be addressing before they get onto the governance of football.

Indeed - I believe aggressive seagulls are on the agenda for this week:

http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/mps-to-debate-concerns-about-aggressive-seagulls/

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 07, 2017, 11:08:40 am by johnny rovers »

Safe standing cannot come soon enough! My preference would be to see the whole of the south stand created into safe standing, I do hope this is the clubs preference on the issue of the keepmoat.

Martin, aside from Celtic in Scotland, if and when safe standing is to be introduced do you expect there to be a trial period where by a couple of clubs in England are chosen to implement it first.

If the footballing authorities went down this route surely a club like ours would be front runners due to the success with the family and community awards instead of going for the well known troublesome clubs.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 07, 2017, 11:20:23 am by silent majority »

Our government currently hand over about £30m a year of our money to the FA which is meant to be spent on grass roots football. That's enough reason for me.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 07, 2017, 11:29:15 am by silent majority »

Safe standing cannot come soon enough! My preference would be to see the whole of the south stand created into safe standing, I do hope this is the clubs preference on the issue of the keepmoat.

Martin, aside from Celtic in Scotland, if and when safe standing is to be introduced do you expect there to be a trial period where by a couple of clubs in England are chosen to implement it first.

If the footballing authorities went down this route surely a club like ours would be front runners due to the success with the family and community awards instead of going for the well known troublesome clubs.

There are numerous PL clubs lining up to be the first to trial 'safe standing' in this country, the new stadium for Spurs for example, have been designed with rail seating incorporated. Wembley, courtesy of the FA, are also very keen to convert. It will happen, and very soon.

Legislation is the key of course, but there are currently debates at all levels as to what constitutes Safe Standing. For example the PL like the current situation, the SGSA would like to look at alternatives to the rail seat idea, the EFL are happy to just go with increased levels of crush barriers.

I would suggest that if the Keepmoat did go down this route then that's what we would do. There's no point in having rail seats if you never intend to use the seats, you may as well just have the rails!

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 07, 2017, 11:41:36 am by johnny rovers »

There are numerous PL clubs lining up to be the first to trial 'safe standing' in this country, the new stadium for Spurs for example, have been designed with rail seating incorporated. Wembley, courtesy of the FA, are also very keen to convert. It will happen, and very soon.

Legislation is the key of course, but there are currently debates at all levels as to what constitutes Safe Standing. For example the PL like the current situation, the SGSA would like to look at alternatives to the rail seat idea, the EFL are happy to just go with increased levels of crush barriers.

I would suggest that if the Keepmoat did go down this route then that's what we would do. There's no point in having rail seats if you never intend to use the seats, you may as well just have the rails!

Cheers for the update!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 07, 2017, 02:06:57 pm by idler »

If we just had crush barriers would they then have to be changed for rail seats if we were promoted to either Championship or Premier League Martin?

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 07, 2017, 02:12:19 pm by scaley back rover »
I think they would if we made it into the Europa league . One can dream 😄😄😄

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 07, 2017, 02:57:51 pm by silent majority »
Idler, I doubt it. The current legislation, in its simplest form, states that all tier 1 and 2 clubs should have all seater stadiums. The changes being discussed right now will override that ruling. But, as I've said earlier in this thread, there is a debate at the moment as to what do people mean by 'Safe Standing' and also where should it be implemented. The civil service, through the arm of the SGSA, have just advertised an internal post for somebody to advise the SGSA on persistent standing in seated areas and rail seating and alternatives. (A very much abbreviated version of the job description)

I could offer a lot more but its not in the public domain as yet. Although I do believe I saw something recently where the SGSA confirmed to a journalist that the next edition of the Green Guide will have a section on 'rail seating' or as they call it 'dual purpose seating and standing areas'. Essentially that's game up, its all about the timing.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 07, 2017, 03:43:08 pm by Drover »
Done,My MP is John Mann.I find him very good,but I've not experienced him regards Sports,I have no idea of his opinions/track record there.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 07, 2017, 08:44:30 pm by silent majority »
Done,My MP is John Mann.I find him very good,but I've not experienced him regards Sports,I have no idea of his opinions/track record there.

I've met him and he's well up on that side of things, he also is part of our (FSF) parliamentary football group.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 07, 2017, 08:53:47 pm by Drover »
Well thats good to hear SM.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 08, 2017, 11:55:33 am by silent majority »

Cheers for the update!

Johnny rovers,
Strangely enough this popped into my inbox this morning;

http://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/sixfields-safe-standing-3549784.aspx

Essentially that means that Northampton Town will become the first EFL club to take out seats and replace them with crush barriers. The legislation about all seater stadiums doesn't include them (unlike us). Their plan is to replace the top 5 or 6 rows of seats and install rails, although the size and quality of rails is up for discussion at the moment.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 09, 2017, 11:42:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
No confidence vote on the FA.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 10, 2017, 09:45:34 am by ravenrover »
How mamy mp's actually attended the debate? How many actually voted?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012