Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:20:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The donnywhite thing discussion thread  (Read 4332 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
The donnywhite thing discussion thread
« on February 08, 2017, 06:14:35 pm by not on facebook »
I just know this thread will open a can of worms and the weight
of feelings options  towards the donnywhites will allways go against them.

There will be numerous evidence of why most rovers fans have a dislike towards the DW,from bad experience at wembly or in general
day to day dealings with any DW etc etc.

I for life of me don't see why you all get hot under the collar about
DW as I find the statement ' they should support their local team' is
a load of b*llocks

since year zonk rovers have been shite while dirty Leeds played in division  one against likes of man utd,lpool,arsenal,Spurs,Everton etc etc  week in week out,while donny were playing likes of southport,workington,rochdale,Scunthorpe,bury etc etc in division 3 or 4

Can nobody see the pull towards Leeds Leeds Leeds there straight away or even to likes of footballing fans with Doncaster DN4 post code
attending likes of Sheffield utd/ weds,lpool or man utd?

The above has been going on for years so I guess in most cases dads
have passed that sequence on down to any off spring  which all ties in with rovers allways been in division 3/4 and at bottom ends it seemed.if Iam honest with myself I can't blame them.

It's  not as if Doncaster > Leeds were great rivals as are divisions kept
both teams apart unlike the Rotherham united rival days .

Ok rovers played Leeds for a couple of seasons in league1 and championship and at wembly but nothing to build a massive rival fealing on.

As daft as it sounds many Leeds fans would swell the crowds at BV on bigger so called games and good away games torquay,York,Rotherham,Everton,Bristol rovers ( Cardiff),grimsby,pboro to name a few.

I guess this might have changed since the game at wembly but it's was a fact that DRFC were many donnywhites 2nd team for obvious reasons.

I don't ever recall seeing any major influx of any donnylpool ,donnyman utd, donnysheff utd or donnysheff weds at any of above away games or at any game at BV over the years  but you allways saw more than enough donnywhites .

Well that's my defence for the donnywhite thing > > > the prosecution(s) can take the stand .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
Re: The donnywhite thing discussion thread
« Reply #1 on February 08, 2017, 06:39:09 pm by esdailles left foot »
Are you some kind of cnut

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 08, 2017, 06:44:33 pm by johnny rovers »
I've got a lot of friends and former colleagues who are Donny whites and I've not got a problem with them on a personal level, it's never got in the way of the relationship between them and myself.

I don't expect anyone to change there team after years of following them. the only thing that really annoys me is when they start off with all that, "you just a small town club with shit support", when they know fully well that there part of the problem.

Donny is a big and a city in all but status with a large population. Many commentators from the 50's agreed that Doncaster were the biggest club in South Yorkshire when a 30000 crowd was a regular in the early 50's. Just think how different it of been!!!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 08, 2017, 06:46:07 pm by Filo »
My hatred of Leeds goes back to the 1970 cup final against Chelsea

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 08, 2017, 06:48:29 pm by not on facebook »

If Iam honest with you it all depends on what side of the bed I get out of

Now Iam a Kitsonstable and will take out my note book and ask you " why you ask if Iam a type of cnut sir?

Can't you work out which type of cnut that I am  sir?

How many types of cnuts are there sir?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 08, 2017, 06:49:03 pm by IDM »
Who cares?? Why are you starting a thread about this?  I have read your thoughts on the forum but this has been done to death..

Some folks in Doncaster support Leeds.. we live with it and those of us who couldn't care less just enjoy going to watch the rovers..

Simples..

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 08, 2017, 06:57:46 pm by not on facebook »
I've got a lot of friends and former colleagues who are Donny whites and I've not got a problem with them on a personal level, it's never got in the way of the relationship between them and myself.

I don't expect anyone to change there team after years of following them. the only thing that really annoys me is when they start off with all that, "you just a small town club with shit support", when they know fully well that there part of the problem.

Donny is a big and a city in all but status with a large population. Many commentators from the 50's agreed that Doncaster were the biggest club in South Yorkshire when a 30000 crowd was a regular in the early 50's. Just think how different it of been!!!

That bit about donny having shit support gets on my tits,but compared to likes of Leeds ,Sheffield utd,
Everton are support is small in numbers for obvious reasons.

But you are bang on about possible crowds if all was pulling in near enough same direction in doncaster.on that front I think Doncaster crowd wise would have been on same level as a full Hillsboro
and better likes of Blackburn,moboro Leicester

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 08, 2017, 07:01:48 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I reckon more people support Man utd and Liverpool than Leeds in Donny. We probably come in 4th support wise in Doncaster

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 08, 2017, 07:09:34 pm by The Red Baron »

Well, he does live in Scandinavia. Lots of Cnuts up there.  ;)

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 08, 2017, 07:14:55 pm by StocktonRover »
I reckon more people support Man utd and Liverpool than Leeds in Donny. We probably come in 4th support wise in Doncaster

I seriously doubt that we are the 4th best supported team in Donny.

At the moment Rovers are attracting around 5000 home supporters to games (there are many more who class themselves as Rovers fans who don't currently attend for a variety of reasons).

Do any of you out there believe that anywhere close to 5000 from Donny attend home games of those clubs (combined)?
I suspect that a few hundred at best actually attend their games.
There is no doubt that many more support them from their armchairs, just like they do Rovers.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 08, 2017, 07:15:10 pm by The Red Baron »

They lost that though.

I have to admit when it comes to Leeds United I was influenced by my grandad. He was from Leeds but was a huge rugby league man. Even when Leeds United were in their pomp he regarded them as a standing joke. There was no danger of me becoming a Leeds United fan.

Funnily enough my grandad developed quite a soft spot for Rovers after I started going regularly.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 08, 2017, 07:17:47 pm by NickDRFC »
I think I preferred your misty-eyed rambles about the sadly-missed bygone days of football hooliganism.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 08, 2017, 07:20:23 pm by not on facebook »

Well, he does live in Scandinavia. Lots of Cnuts up there.  ;)

Take it from me there is a massive difference between the cnuts up here than there is in donny.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 08, 2017, 08:13:50 pm by johnny rovers »

I reckon your not far off with Man Utd! The thing with them lot, most haven't even see a football ground, never mind old Trafford!

My firm belief is there are around 25000 to 30000 people willing us to win every game. You got the 5000 regulars, the several hundred exiles who struggle to get to even get to a game.

Several thousand who probably class their selves as rovers fans but don't currently go or haven't been for ages and then the vast majority is made up of fans who follow other clubs and due to rovers being there hometown club, want us to win matches just like the regular fan does!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 08, 2017, 08:16:07 pm by Copps is Magic »
I haven't watched premiership games for a few years now. I also have to admit I don't really follow whats going on in the championship either. However, I know by proxy, just reading this forum, that Leeds must be doing well because for the last couple of months we've pretty much had a thread on here every week about them.

Embarrassing.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 08, 2017, 08:26:18 pm by drfchound »

I seriously doubt that we are the 4th best supported team in Donny.

At the moment Rovers are attracting around 5000 home supporters to games (there are many more who class themselves as Rovers fans who don't currently attend for a variety of reasons).

Do any of you out there believe that anywhere close to 5000 from Donny attend home games of those clubs (combined)?
I suspect that a few hundred at best actually attend their games.
There is no doubt that many more support them from their armchairs, just like they do Rovers.

There are three Man Utd "supporters" where I work.
None of them have ever seen them play except for on the telly.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 08, 2017, 08:36:17 pm by Campsall rover »
In my book they are followers not supporters.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 08, 2017, 09:21:13 pm by auckleyflyer »
Would say there's over a thousand leeds same again Wednesday, in areas where were close to teams I.e. the north west there a few hundred each of rothers and dingles. To the south you'd be surprised how many went to forest when they were doing well, there'll still be some left or sons of clough era followers.
Dont see many blades? Their a sheffielders club?!
Our problem isn't these 4<5 thousand,its the tv premiere league supporters. A tough one tho as live is very different than the living room or pub.
Recon were going the right way but its a slow process. My 14y old and his mates are loving this season dispite it being L2 and understanding fun to win games regardless of the league.
Time sirs, you cant rush it

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 08, 2017, 10:29:27 pm by Pancho Regan »
What an absolutely pathetic and pointless thread.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 08, 2017, 10:47:56 pm by drfchound »
.....but worth posting a comment on?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 08, 2017, 11:35:43 pm by idler »
They played Chelsea off the park at Wembley and Eddie Grey was a joy to watch on that mud heap.
Chelsea certainly did a number on him in the replay.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 08, 2017, 11:51:33 pm by Goole Rover »
We must remember that some people will always follow a winning team which maybe at the other end of the country they do not regard loyalty as being important. Look North and Yorkshire bombarded us at every opportunity with the glory of Leeds United when they couldn't hold a light against the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd and Forest. No wonder the dull were attracted.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 09, 2017, 05:19:10 am by roversdude »
My first team is Rovers
My second team is Rovers
My third team is Rovers
You may have noticed a trend but my fourth team is Rovers

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 09, 2017, 08:19:28 am by Donnywolf »
.... AND unless Rovers ever meet Leeds in a Wembley Play off Final (for entry to the Premiership) your fifth Team and their supporters can forever hold their heads up KNOWING that in the biggest ever game between the 2 Clubs - your fifth Team came out top dog !!!

... and for me even now when I listen to the Donny based Leeds Fans revelling in their current League position I know that they know that THAT was the one they wanted to win, and for more than the reason of the Promotion to The Second Tier !  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 09, 2017, 09:19:50 am by Herman Hessian »
you're over-complicating the whole debate unnecessarily by trying to make the geographic nuances relevant

all leeds fans are arsehơles regardless of where they come from - do feel free to lock the thread now....

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 09, 2017, 10:33:31 am by Herbert Anchovy »
From my experience, Donny doesn't have the sole rights to suffering with a significant number of resident Leeds fans. Having lived in York, Hull, Huddersfield and Sheffield (amongst other places) over the years, I can personally testify that they're everywhere! Each of these towns/cities had plenty of Leeds fans.

I'm living now a few miles outside of Hull and I see Leeds fans quite often. A house around the corner from me has a Leeds badge in their window, a bloke who I work with is a Hull KR rugby fan and also a Leeds Utd fan and I was told a few years ago that when we played them at Wembley there were at least 2 coachloads of 'Hull Whites' who'd made the journey down. The thing with the bloke who I work with is that he doesn't get the irony of supporting his home city at rugby but a city he's no association with at football!

Looking specifically at the Donny Whites, an experience that I had back in the 80's sums it up for me. A mate and I were travelling home on the train from a Rovers away match at Darlington. I can't recall the exact year or result but I do remember that Tommy Gaynor scored with an overhead kick. Anyway, at Darlo station we saw a lad who we both vaguely knew from school. He was a few years older than us and we only knew the kid to say 'ey up' to really. On the train he sat with us and we spent an hour or so chatting about the match and all things Rovers. Then, completely out of the blue he said "I don't support the Rovers though, I'm a Leeds fan." Now, I'd seen this lad at almost every home match I'd gone to and a fair few away games too so I was surprised to say the very least. I always suspected that he said this because, at the time at least, wannabe football yobs (which I suspect he was) held more 'kudos' by claiming to be Leeds rather than Rovers. Or I may be way off the mark. Anyway, I continued to see him at matches for another season or so until he disappeared off the radar (as many did during the Dave Mackay years). Anyway, years later I saw him with his kids at the Keepmoat all wearing Rovers shirts. 

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 09, 2017, 10:50:51 am by NickDRFC »
A friend of my dad's is a bit like that, considers himself a Leeds fan but lives in Sprotborough and is big into his football so probably gets to half of Rovers home games a season, as well as a handful of Leeds games. He can call himself a Leeds fan, in fact he can call himself Theresa May for all I care - as long as he is putting money in our coffers and getting behind the Rovers for those 90 minutes he is alright with me.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 09, 2017, 10:59:15 am by Herman Hessian »
A house around the corner from me has a Leeds badge in their window

you know what to do, agent anchovy

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 09, 2017, 11:12:02 am by wing commander »
   Frankly I don't take any football fan seriously who hasn't the balls to support there hometown club first just because there not fashionable...Whether they were born in Manchester or Whitby....

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 09, 2017, 11:26:43 am by Bezza »
just don`t get the thing of calling yourself a leeds fan when you live in Donny, for me it`s your HOME town team every time, i will leave others to support other towns and city`s for the glory ,but i just dont get it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012