Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:17:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The donnywhite thing discussion thread  (Read 4333 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: The donnywhite thing discussion thread
« Reply #30 on February 09, 2017, 11:35:54 am by NickDRFC »
   Frankly I don't take any football fan seriously who hasn't the balls to support there hometown club first just because there not fashionable...Whether they were born in Manchester or Whitby....

Is this a fair comment? I wonder how many on here were born outside of Doncaster but support Rovers. And where do you draw the line - should people from Armthorpe or Rossington support Welfare or Main rather than Rovers?

I will never live in Doncaster again, but I will encourage my kids to support Rovers. If they came to a game with me would you not take them seriously?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 09, 2017, 11:59:14 am by Herman Hessian »
just don`t get the thing of calling yourself a leeds fan ....for the glory

this glory of which you speak - over the last 25 years (count 'em) that amounts to what - losing the league cup final and one promotion from L1 to the championship (at the third attempt, having been humiliated at wembley by a pub side en route) ?

you can argue that Rovers have been far more successful over the same period if you have any concept of perspective; if you factor in the level of success relative to potential (even using realistic potential as a base line, not the dream world that supporters of the White Shîte inhabit) then they can be said to have underachieved to an embarrassing degree which exhibits mismanagement on every level to a staggering degree; Leeds fans are delusional and should really be pitied, were it not that they are so universally vile and have a self-regard inflated to such an extent that it borders on mental illness; the fans and the club deserve each other in that respect

still - they did win the European Cup, didn't they, so fair enough...

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 09, 2017, 12:10:31 pm by wing commander »
   Frankly I don't take any football fan seriously who hasn't the balls to support there hometown club first just because there not fashionable...Whether they were born in Manchester or Whitby....

Is this a fair comment? I wonder how many on here were born outside of Doncaster but support Rovers. And where do you draw the line - should people from Armthorpe or Rossington support Welfare or Main rather than Rovers?

I will never live in Doncaster again, but I will encourage my kids to support Rovers. If they came to a game with me would you not take them seriously?

Yes fair enough Nick,i take your point about family connections...it was aimed more at the people who decide that because there local team is unfashionable they will mainly support the ones that are...Obviously my main team is Rovers always has been as that's were I was born   but I watch Trinity on occasions too as that's local to me...Would I ever fancy just turning up at Elland road,Anfield or the emirates and throw my allegiance with them just because they win more than they lose..no because I have no allegiance to those places...

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 09, 2017, 12:36:14 pm by redwine »
Just to even it up.....I'm a Rovers fan who lives in Leeds

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 09, 2017, 12:37:07 pm by The Red Baron »

I was born in Hampshire and have lived in the Midlands for nearly 40 years. The 12 years I spent in Donny were the important ones in terms of who I support though.

Wellington Vaults

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 09, 2017, 12:49:12 pm by Wellington Vaults »

So I suppose that puts to bed the

Yes fair enough Nick,i take your point about family connections...it was aimed more at the people who decide that because there local team is unfashionable they will mainly support the ones that are...Obviously my main team is Rovers always has been as that's were I was born   but I watch Trinity on occasions too as that's local to me...Would I ever fancy just turning up at Elland road,Anfield or the emirates and throw my allegiance with them just because they win more than they lose..no because I have no allegiance to those places...

this glory of which you speak - over the last 25 years (count 'em) that amounts to what - losing the league cup final and one promotion from L1 to the championship (at the third attempt, having been humiliated at wembley by a pub side en route) ?

you can argue that Rovers have been far more successful over the same period if you have any concept of perspective; if you factor in the level of success relative to potential (even using realistic potential as a base line, not the dream world that supporters of the White Shîte inhabit) then they can be said to have underachieved to an embarrassing degree which exhibits mismanagement on every level to a staggering degree; Leeds fans are delusional and should really be pitied, were it not that they are so universally vile and have a self-regard inflated to such an extent that it borders on mental illness; the fans and the club deserve each other in that respect

accusation that Donny Whites are "Glory Seekers"

Well, I take it that this theory puts to bed the allegation that all the Donny Whites are all "Glory Seekers"?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 09, 2017, 01:29:07 pm by not on facebook »
Hello mr Wellington ,just knew you would raise yer head above the parapit .

Are you still marching all together

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 09, 2017, 04:33:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I know a number of Leeds and Owls fans however none of them take any particular delight or need to unfurl a flag or banner that reads "Donny White" or "Donny Owl". The ones that do seem to have a mental state that I can't get my head around.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 09, 2017, 04:50:52 pm by DonnyNoel »
I don't begrudge someone supporting any team (even when they try and justify it with tenuous reasons) so far that I don't get worked up by the existence of Donny Whites/Owls. However when these fans do wind me up is when they have the brass neck for ripping the piss out of you for supporting your home/local team when they never had the balls to because they might have been unfashionable/un-successful at the time.

I can't say from experience Donny Whites are any worse for that than fans of any other team but maybe it sticks out in our memory more from recent times.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 09, 2017, 04:58:04 pm by IDM »
I was born close to Doncaster, my folks came from Doncaster.  My dad took me to Rovers as a child.

I grew up in West Yorkshire, most of my school mates who went to football went to Leeds.  As an adult I have lived all over the country and only in the last decade or so close enough to go to matches regularly again.

I live about 80 miles away from Doncaster now.

So by logic, who should I support???  One of my "local" teams, one of the teams I have been local to in previous areas, or one of the bigger prem teams I can see on telly?

Sorry if I don't fit the mold, but whilst I have watched other teams form time to time, the team I have always supported primarily is Doncaster Rovers, and always will be.

So does it really matter who supports who, and where they live?? 

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 09, 2017, 05:06:34 pm by DaveDRFC »
I can remember being in a pub listening to somebody banging on about how he hated Donny Whites, then about 5 minutes later talking about going to watch Leeds Rhinos because the Dons are shite!

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 09, 2017, 05:24:10 pm by Bessie Red »
Would say there's over a thousand leeds same again Wednesday, in areas where were close to teams I.e. the north west there a few hundred each of rothers and dingles. To the south you'd be surprised how many went to forest when they were doing well, there'll still be some left or sons of clough era followers.
Dont see many blades? Their a sheffielders club?!
Our problem isn't these 4<5 thousand,its the tv premiere league supporters. A tough one tho as live is very different than the living room or pub.
Recon were going the right way but its a slow process. My 14y old and his mates are loving this season dispite it being L2 and understanding fun to win games regardless of the league.
Time sirs, you cant rush it

Agree with the last part of your comment. My 14 year old son & his mates are also loving it & if you can get them hooked at that age or younger then generally you've got them for life & in turn their kids & so on.

Wellington Vaults

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 09, 2017, 05:39:30 pm by Wellington Vaults »

I don't march anymore.....it's more of an aimless shuffle! And touching on the Rugby League theme, when I lived in Donny, I can remember coming out of a newsagents in Barnby Dun one Sunday morning and seeing a car full of St. Helens fans setting off for their match, which I found quite bizarre.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 09, 2017, 06:24:10 pm by Draytonian III »
I dislike the team from Elland Road with a passion,but I have to admit they are a " big" club with a lot of supporters/followers. They are roughly in the top dozen or so in the country, in fact if you go back on average home attendance over the past 40 years they would be above most.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 09, 2017, 07:17:09 pm by Capmeister »
Genuinely, think this is a tricky one. Born and bred in Wakefield but always supported Rovers. Wakey is a rugby town and the local footy team plays on a municipal park somewhere. My Dad took me to Belle Vue and I just got the bug. Donny were shite when I started going in the early 70's and it got worse before the relatively recent golden years. I can't say I like Leeds. Always harping on about the 70's. Their supporters in general have an air of arrogance, some would say menace and I've been in a few scrapes with some of them. Most notably after our only triumph at Elland road when Stocky scuffled a free kick in. It would have been hunkydory if we had lost but they couldn't take the stick after losing so me giving it what for in the pubs around Wakey and Leeds was never going to end well. I triggered the same vitriol at Wembley but god was that nice. I can see why folk would support Leeds but it is essentially glory hunting but they do generate a cameraderie on the road due to numbers and the tribal thing. I must confess they out sing most clubs on the road and I know quite a few that just go to the aways for purely that reason. As a outsider I do half get the supporting other teams bit but if I were a born and bred Doncastrian singing "You're just a town full of Leeds fans!" it wouldn't sit right with me.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 09, 2017, 07:37:49 pm by not on facebook »
I can never understand why anyone would get hung up for sole reason
that a person is supporting a team from where he is not born

It's not as if we all still live in caves is it

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 09, 2017, 09:02:58 pm by Filo »

I don't march anymore.....it's more of an aimless shuffle! And touching on the Rugby League theme, when I lived in Donny, I can remember coming out of a newsagents in Barnby Dun one Sunday morning and seeing a car full of St. Helens fans setting off for their match, which I found quite bizarre.

Not at all, Pilks is based in St Helens, a lot of people that worked at Pilks came over from there

TinyPortal © 2005-2012