Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:20:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Stuart McCall  (Read 8573 times)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Stuart McCall
« Reply #30 on June 06, 2018, 06:49:21 pm by PDX_Rover »
Am i imagining this or has Grayson has a lot of positions in a relatively short space of time?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 06, 2018, 06:51:44 pm by RoversAlias »
Am i imagining this or has Grayson has a lot of positions in a relatively short space of time?

Only this season. He left Preston for Sunderland last summer, was given the boot last autumn and then joined Bradford on a short-term deal until the end of the season, at which point he resigned because he wasn't happy with the budget being offered him.

Prior to that no, he has only had a few jobs all of which he had some success at - Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 06, 2018, 09:24:57 pm by Canadian Rover »
Chris Coleman

A million miles out of our league.

But he just got the sack from a team in our league  :silly:

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 06, 2018, 10:59:09 pm by bradford exile »
Hi folks

I have quite a few Bradford friends. Most if not all think he was sacked wrongly and would have got them back on track.

Will do for me on their recommendation alone

Regards

Ray

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 07, 2018, 12:34:00 am by elmsallrover »
Not for me we will just be a stepping stone till a bigger club comes calling

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 07, 2018, 07:38:59 am by since-1969 »
He isn’t good enough simples .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 07, 2018, 07:44:49 am by dickos1 »
His record proves different

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 07, 2018, 07:50:44 am by Filo »
He isn’t good enough simples .

Out of the availible and realistic options out there, who is good enough?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 07, 2018, 08:52:49 am by idler »
He would at least have us playing good football. As a person he is a fantastic bloke, whether he could get us where the fans want or expect us to I don't know. One thing is for sure he is certainly a man of principles. His first managerial stint at City probably came to soon in his career but he learnt a lot from it. People want Grayson in but he did worse with the team that Stuart McCall left than Stuart did. It was the board that ruined City's season starting in the dressing room pre-match at Yeovil.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 07, 2018, 09:40:51 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
His record is actually decent to be fair. He's probably be a big candidate surely.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 07, 2018, 09:41:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We can't possibly know without seeing the whites of their eyes and discussing how they intend to work and move the club forward. On face value, McCall has got a reasonable reputation and good experience so he maybe a good fit. (with Glynn Snodin please!)

Michael Appleton was close to being selected when Dickov got the job. His appearance and perceived persona made him look rough round the edges but apparently he's an excellent coach, which is what we need with younger players.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 07, 2018, 09:48:02 am by DonnyOsmond »
What formation does he play? Do we need to sign some wingers?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 07, 2018, 10:18:10 am by Donnybax »
I doubt Appleton would leave Leicester for us

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 07, 2018, 12:18:52 pm by RoversAlias »

Where's the evidence of that? He's never done that in his career, in fact in all his 4 managerial jobs he's never jumped ship. When he was at Motherwell he actually turned down the manager's job at Sheffield United so I've no idea what you're basing your opinion on.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 07, 2018, 12:34:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Shouldn't we want a manager that a bigger club comes calling for?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 07, 2018, 01:12:49 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
the only way to use us as a stepping stone is to be successful on the pitch so i'm happy with that!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 07, 2018, 06:15:08 pm by scawsby steve »
I always liked the guy as a player, and his managerial record is good. On top of that, he comes over in interviews as a genuine, honest, decent guy. Of course, we don't know for sure that he's applied for the job, but if he hasn't, and isn't interested, then surely he would rule himself out to end speculation.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 07, 2018, 08:36:04 pm by Lesonthewest »
I seem to remember the battle of the two best midfielders in the league when we had Ian Snodin & Bradford had McCall, with Snod coming out on top. Top player in his career & a decent record as a manager, could be a good fit, also worked under Strachan senior at Scotland.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 07, 2018, 08:44:41 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Where's the evidence of that? He's never done that in his career, in fact in all his 4 managerial jobs he's never jumped ship. When he was at Motherwell he actually turned down the manager's job at Sheffield United so I've no idea what you're basing your opinion on.

RA I repeat he turned us down once already

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 07, 2018, 08:47:58 pm by RoversAlias »

I've not seen you say that before and besides, why would that mean him coming here would be a stepping stone? I've no idea when it was he turned us down but this is a different time now with different circumstances for both club and man. Him refusing the job in the past means little when it comes to whether or not we'd be seen as a "stepping stone" as ElmsallRover said.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 07, 2018, 09:33:04 pm by RedJ »
The club was a shit show last time, the squad and the club behind the scenes are in a much better position now.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 07, 2018, 09:49:33 pm by DearneValleyRover »

I've not seen you say that before and besides, why would that mean him coming here would be a stepping stone? I've no idea when it was he turned us down but this is a different time now with different circumstances for both club and man. Him refusing the job in the past means little when it comes to whether or not we'd be seen as a "stepping stone" as ElmsallRover said.
My bad in the stepping stone. I was just stating he has already turned us down once. My feeling is that the board see recruitment like they did when running a multi-million pound business (no inside information purely personal) which would put them off anyone who had said no in the past.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 07, 2018, 10:06:26 pm by RoversAlias »

My bad in the stepping stone. I was just stating he has already turned us down once. My feeling is that the board see recruitment like they did when running a multi-million pound business (no inside information purely personal) which would put them off anyone who had said no in the past.

That might well be true DVR. Like I say I'm not aware of him turning us down before, but if it was whilst he was at Motherwell or Bradford I'd not blame him.

I think you're right about us approaching the recruitment like a big business instead of as a typical football club. The method supports that and Liam Hoden said something along those lines on Twitter too.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on June 07, 2018, 10:13:51 pm by DearneValleyRover »
RA he was un attached at the time he wanted the Blades job so turned us down. It obviously didn’t work out that way but I doubt we forgot

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on June 08, 2018, 02:59:48 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

That might well be true DVR. Like I say I'm not aware of him turning us down before, but if it was whilst he was at Motherwell or Bradford I'd not blame him.

I think you're right about us approaching the recruitment like a big business instead of as a typical football club. The method supports that and Liam Hoden said something along those lines on Twitter too.

Which may not be a bad thing of course, as they're less likely to be swayed by big name and reputation alone. I'm sure they are capable of checking out CVs for achievements and win ratios etc.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012