Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:07:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SOD and copps  (Read 3702 times)

Boomstick

• Forum Member
SOD and copps
« on June 05, 2018, 05:27:12 pm by Boomstick »
Or SOD and wellens?

f**k it why not ? What's to lose really ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
Re: SOD and copps
« Reply #1 on June 05, 2018, 05:29:10 pm by Wild Rover »
Wasn't SOD dispensed with for the self same reason as ferguson jacked it in. ( he asked to be backed in transfers).

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 05, 2018, 05:31:45 pm by chrisd_123 »
Wasn't SOD dispensed with for the self same reason as ferguson jacked it in. ( he asked to be backed in transfers).

I think SOD was a multitude of things in the end and obviously JR was involved at the time too. From what I remember he sort of accepted relegation early on and wouldn't partake in the experiment amongst other things.

I think if JR wasn't there at the time, SOD would probably still be our manager in the sense that he saw the potential of rebuilding after relegation as opposed to a quick fix.

May be wrong but that's what I remember seeing etc.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 05, 2018, 05:32:04 pm by Boomstick »
Hmm , pattern forming.

Seriously we could do worse than SOD.

Failing that, anyone but the usual suspects

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 05, 2018, 05:34:29 pm by RedJ »
He was dispensed with because he basically said he couldn't keep us up and that we'd have to go down and come back up.

O'Driscoll would take an eternity to put his philosophy in place, plus he's not really done anything of note for a while. That and they always say never go back...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 05, 2018, 05:38:52 pm by RoversAlias »
I love Sean, best manager we've had in my lifetime but I'd not want him back now. It just wouldn't be the same and everyone would always compare to his previous tenure. So not for me.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 05, 2018, 06:04:28 pm by Alickismyhero »
I like the idea of Sean and Copps and I think they still keep in touich.

As you all know I am Sean's biggest fan and the only one who could bring Sean back is the thought of working with Copps, they have a mutual appreciation of each others skills and qualities as men.

The damage done with Sean was the 3 months "gardening leave" that was 3 months with no pay and that was out of order by the club and as far as I am aware it had nothing to do with Bramall because he had gone walk about during that period.

We can't afford to upset Bramall, he supplies the money to keep the club going, he has a poor opinion of Sean, very sad, so I would think its not going to happen.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 05, 2018, 06:08:35 pm by Lesonthewest »
Oh to have that brand of football back again, been watching a few highlights from his time here, I'd forgotten how good that team was, absolutely sublime.

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 05, 2018, 06:15:15 pm by bradford exile »
Butler & Copps....Dream team . Regards. Ray

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 05, 2018, 06:18:05 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Oh to have that brand of football back again, been watching a few highlights from his time here, I'd forgotten how good that team was, absolutely sublime.

That's been my problem. I haven't forgotten how good that team was and watched our performances last season with a heavy heart after going from the sublime to the ridiculous.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 05, 2018, 06:33:01 pm by RoversAlias »

We really were spoiled weren't we in those years. We became known for our excellent brand of passing football and came a long way in a relatively short space of time.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 05, 2018, 06:43:10 pm by DRNaith »

You do realise that this whole thread has grown based on that unfounded statement?

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 05, 2018, 10:26:44 pm by TheFunk »
Will never happen due to SOD having zero interest in the academy system.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 05, 2018, 11:52:05 pm by keith79 »
Is sod the Youth team manager at wolves?

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 05, 2018, 11:58:45 pm by VivaRovers »
Can you expand on this?

I find it hard to believe that a man who has preferred to be a coach rather than a manager has zero interest in academies, so suspect I might be misunderstanding your point

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 06, 2018, 07:10:35 am by The Red Baron »
For all the talk about Copps, he's never shown any real interest in going into the coaching / managerial side of things. I think Andy Butler has though and if there is a reshuffle following the new appointment, I wouldn't be surprised to see Butts doing something on the coaching side.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 06, 2018, 09:06:32 am by Chris Black come back »
Can you expand on this?

I find it hard to believe that a man who has preferred to be a coach rather than a manager has zero interest in academies, so suspect I might be misunderstanding your point

I think many folk make the connection between his long tenure and microscopic delivery of talent from youth set up (Fairhurst and Nelthorpe only?)  it I guess this was during time when we rise quickly and he had brief to rise quickly so bringing in talent was quickest means to deliver this. Once we were in Championship focus was staying there so perhaps not able to bring or blood youngsters. Granted these youth systems take time to mature but bringing in Tomi Ameobi over our young lads is probably clearest signal of his view.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 06, 2018, 10:08:03 am by bobjimwilly »
SOD would want more money than Fergie. His budget in his last season was ridiculous, hence the quality of players we had

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 06, 2018, 10:14:09 am by Wild Rover »

You do realise that this whole thread has grown based on that unfounded statement?
Unfounded in what respect. I am sure TB said as much in the early "meet the owners" meeting a couple of seasons ago. Maybe unfounded because there is no proof SOD actually said what TB said he had.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 06, 2018, 10:16:18 am by TheFunk »
Can you expand on this?

Sorry I meant he had zero interest in our academy. Ask anyone who had children in our system back then. He thought ours was a waste of money that could have been spent on the first team. How many young players were given a chance ?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 06, 2018, 01:13:12 pm by DRNaith »

Unfounded in what respect. I am sure TB said as much in the early "meet the owners" meeting a couple of seasons ago. Maybe unfounded because there is no proof SOD actually said what TB said he had.

You infer that you know the reason that Darren Ferguson left

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 06, 2018, 01:26:26 pm by Wild Rover »
Isn't that the reason?.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 06, 2018, 01:29:00 pm by DRNaith »
Do you know that it is?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 06, 2018, 01:30:39 pm by Drover »
Think SOD and Wellens is never going to happen,and cannot see SOD at Rovers again while TB is in charge.Did'nt SOD say something along the lines,Richie Wellens,had a high opinion of himself, and thought he was more important to the team and a better player than SOD thought about him.Therefore,making me think,SOD would not get on with him management wise.Also similar situation between TB and SOD.Difference opinions on players and budgets etc.Having said that,I often forget,SOD did a reasonably good job at Bournemouth when they had little money!
So Copps it is! :scarf:

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 06, 2018, 01:40:55 pm by Wild Rover »
"Following recent discussions and meetings with the board I have decided to resign from my position as Manager of Doncaster Rovers Football Club"

Well that suggests £££££. Certainly not Centreplate menus.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 06, 2018, 02:15:02 pm by firestarter »
Never go back ...

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 06, 2018, 04:55:54 pm by DRNaith »
"Following recent discussions and meetings with the board I have decided to resign from my position as Manager of Doncaster Rovers Football Club"

Well that suggests £££££. Certainly not Centreplate menus.

I can see why that's being favoured as the conclusion to draw. However, also on this site it's been suggested that the discussion with the board was along the lines of "OK, so you had a top X budget and we finished 16th, do you really think that is acceptable, Darren?" And so Darren has concluded it was a poor show and resigned or agreed to move on.

Humour me, does that also line up with Darren's statement?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 06, 2018, 05:04:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Makes you wonder how the hell he got the job with Wolves Academy..!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 06, 2018, 06:08:02 pm by RoversAlias »

Makes you wonder how the hell he got the job with Wolves Academy..!

Sean is an excellent coach. Nobody can doubt that after what he did here. So who better to coach up young talents? He was England U19s manager as well remember. His relationship with our academy whilst first team manager is totally different, because his job wasn't to coach young players it was to manage the first team and that encompasses a lot of different things.

Rightly or wrongly he clearly didn't think our academy was up to scratch and wasn't producing players that it was worth having in a Championship first team. I would say the evidence backs that up considering the lack of success the graduates of that time period have had.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 06, 2018, 08:56:22 pm by RedJ »
I think the thinking at the time was that it cost too much money to have an academy (was it not downgraded to a centre of excellence or something) and a reserve team too for that matter so f**ked it off.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012