Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:15:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No statement from the club?  (Read 8102 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
No statement from the club?
« on June 05, 2018, 06:20:56 pm by Copps is Magic »
When I read the initial announcement from the club it sounded like they would make a statement within 24 hours but reading it back it just says update, and what they've released is indeed an update on the recruitment process.

Do I guess we're not going to hear anything from the club? I think they should really because what's passing for knowledge is half spoken 2nd hand conversations and conspiracy theories.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: No statement from the club?
« Reply #1 on June 05, 2018, 06:22:34 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Tend to agree it would do.them.muxh good to get some facts out.  Though there may be legal reasons why they aren't.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 05, 2018, 06:34:40 pm by RoversAlias »
How often do clubs air all the finer details in public when a manager leaves? Not many at all, it isn't professional for a start. I'm sure some more things will come out in the press over time but at the end of the day football fans are always going to speculate especially when we've no actual football to focus on instead.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 05, 2018, 06:35:39 pm by mushRTID »
Hopefully SM will pass on some details, I think I read he had a meeting there today?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 05, 2018, 06:40:02 pm by Copps is Magic »
How often do clubs air all the finer details in public when a manager leaves? Not many at all, it isn't professional for a start. I'm sure some more things will come out in the press over time but at the end of the day football fans are always going to speculate especially when we've no actual football to focus on instead.

I didn't comment about airing finer details I commented about a statement. It seems very common, the norm actually.

e.g

https://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/club-statement/

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 05, 2018, 07:01:52 pm by RedJ »
I'd like to see a statement regarding the lack of a statement.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 05, 2018, 07:41:41 pm by Boomstick »
Find it puzzling why they haven't come out with something to try and quash the talk of a poor budget, and lack of ambition.

Their silence just fuels the fire.
Tired of being treated like mushrooms

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 05, 2018, 07:44:13 pm by Filo »
Find it puzzling why they haven't come out with something to try and quash the talk of a poor budget, and lack of ambition.

They have, the budget has been increased

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 05, 2018, 07:51:17 pm by Boomstick »
Where's the official statement? Not just through a journo saying it's gone up a bit ?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 05, 2018, 07:51:32 pm by dickos1 »
Andy giddings that released that though wasn’t it?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 05, 2018, 07:59:28 pm by Filo »
Andy giddings that released that though wasn’t it?

Yes, thats probably where I've got it from

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 05, 2018, 08:16:41 pm by Jonathan »
Looking at what has been released into the public domain, I would expect all of these statements to be true:

- The playing budget has not been cut, and has in fact increased (a bit).

- The board has a genuine ambition to challenge for the play offs and believes that an adequate playing budget is in place to facilitate this.

- Ferguson wanted more money to spend than has been made available.

- Ferguson does not believe that the playing budget is sufficient to enable him to deliver a play off push.

As a result, the board and Ferguson are some way apart in their beliefs and expectations so a parting of ways is agreed.

This doesn’t have to mean that he’s been sacked, nor that the club has no ambition. More that Ferguson doesn’t believe he can deliver the agreed aim within the means, and wants out. And the board would prefer to source someone that does believe they can deliver what they want to achieve within the allocated resources.

I wouldn’t say any of the above is particularly extraordinary in business or football. Time will tell who has made the best judgements. When we get a new manager we need to all get behind him.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:19:31 pm by Jonathan »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 05, 2018, 08:28:49 pm by since-1969 »
Quote:’ The board has a genuine ambition to challenge for the play offs and believes that an adequate playing budget is in place to facilitate this. ‘

If the budget is only just better than last year and we finished 15th how can they qualify this?

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 05, 2018, 08:33:25 pm by swintonrover »
Quote:’ The board has a genuine ambition to challenge for the play offs and believes that an adequate playing budget is in place to facilitate this. ‘

If the budget is only just better than last year and we finished 15th how can they qualify this?

They believed Ferguson underachieved? Not that radical a concept.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 05, 2018, 08:43:36 pm by Jonathan »
It doesn’t even have to mean that (they believe) the manager underachieved last season. Conditions are different. Significant portions of last season’s budget were used up on players that played almost no part (such as Andrew and Evina) or were, rightly or wrongly, considered surplus to requirements (Williams). Just because we finished 15th doesn’t mean we need to multiply the budget to get to the top 6, maybe we just need to use it smarter.

Football is played on the field, not on the balance sheet. 

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 05, 2018, 08:44:40 pm by steve@dcfd »
Manager, players brought in, team performance and results will show who was right at the end of the season.

Glad to see the board have set goals for the new manager and the resources required appear to be available.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:46:58 pm by steve@dcfd »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 05, 2018, 08:44:45 pm by RoversAlias »

You are aware that finishing 15th in the table doesn't mean we had the 15th best budget surely?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 05, 2018, 08:45:15 pm by Copps is Magic »
Looking at what has been released into the public domain, I would expect all of these statements to be true:

- The board has a genuine ambition to challenge for the play offs and believes that an adequate playing budget is in place to facilitate this.

- Ferguson does not believe that the playing budget is sufficient to enable him to deliver a play off push.

But the last two haven't been stated/released/been quoted in public unless I've missed them. If they have please direct me.

So it remains conjecture, and I'm struggling to really get it into my head that Fergie wasn't aware the budget hasn't dramatically changed at this club in years, and that he broadly knew what it was going to be a long time before, and has all of a sudden found some amazing principles that he wants to live by. I mean, it doesn't make common sense.

And in any case, if that is the reason, its not exactly controversial is it and could have been released in a statement.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 05, 2018, 08:47:59 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't get why people keep saying that it's because of "principles", if Fergie quit based on budget. It's not about a moral stand, it's just a difference in opinion. He thinks it's not enough to do the job, the club think it is.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 05, 2018, 08:50:04 pm by Copps is Magic »
Again, Roversalias, where are you getting this from? I repeat, its not been stated anywhere unless you know something different? It's a narrative created on here.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 05, 2018, 08:51:11 pm by Filo »
He knew what he was getting when he took the job, the clubs priniples have n't changed, his has

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 05, 2018, 08:51:33 pm by steve@dcfd »
If DF was aware of the budget and he made the decision in his opinion that it was not right to achieve the playoffs then he decided to go. He’s the one that takes the flak for non achievement. Only at the end of the season will we know who made the right call.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 05, 2018, 08:54:36 pm by NickDRFC »
It doesn’t even have to mean that (they believe) the manager underachieved last season. Conditions are different. Significant portions of last season’s budget were used up on players that played almost no part (such as Andrew and Evina) or were, rightly or wrongly, considered surplus to requirements (Williams). Just because we finished 15th doesn’t mean we need to multiply the budget to get to the top 6, maybe we just need to use it smarter.

Unless I’m reading this wrong I think you’re contradicting yourself there - surely if the board are thinking the budget needs to be used smarter then they would believe that less smart use of the budget is underachievement?

Irrespective, it would be good to hear the board come out with a response to Fergie’s comments, but if they don’t because they’re too busy focusing on his replacement that will do for me.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 05, 2018, 08:55:04 pm by Jonathan »

But the last two haven't been stated/released/been quoted in public unless I've missed them. If they have please direct me.

So it remains conjecture, and I'm struggling to really get it into my head that Fergie wasn't aware the budget hasn't dramatically changed at this club in years, and that he broadly knew what it was going to be a long time before, and has all of a sudden found some amazing principles that he wants to live by. I mean, it doesn't make common sense.

And in any case, if that is the reason, its not exactly controversial is it and could have been released in a statement.

Why does he have to have found principles? It doesn’t mean he’s walked for the good of the club. I genuinely believe he’s gone because he doesn’t believe the resources are there to deliver what he wants, so will go somewhere that he believes matches his ambitions. The unrest in that sense was clear. I would direct you to the interview he gave stating that he doesn’t want to be a league one manager. But you can find it yourself.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 05, 2018, 08:58:52 pm by Jonathan »

Unless I’m reading this wrong I think you’re contradicting yourself there - surely if the board are thinking the budget needs to be used smarter then they would believe that less smart use of the budget is underachievement?

Smarter perhaps the wrong choice of word. Differently would fit. Danny Andrew getting injured was hardly Ferguson’s fault, nor was the fact that he couldn’t offload the players that he wanted to.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 05, 2018, 09:03:51 pm by PDX_Rover »

Try taking some mushrooms. You'll feel much happier then. Their silence doesn't fuel any fire for me... They don't have to say owt until they're ready.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 05, 2018, 09:06:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Again, Roversalias, where are you getting this from? I repeat, its not been stated anywhere unless you know something different? It's a narrative created on here.

Getting what from? I'm not stating any facts, I'm saying that if the mooted situation is that Fergie quit based on the budget then I don't see how that had anything to do with his "principles", as you stated and as a few others have said.

There's no morality in deciding that the board are wrong about what constitutes a good budget.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 05, 2018, 09:10:55 pm by Copps is Magic »

Why does he have to have found principles? It doesn’t mean he’s walked for the good of the club. I genuinely believe he’s gone because he doesn’t believe the resources are there to deliver what he wants, so will go somewhere that he believes matches his ambitions. The unrest in that sense was clear. I would direct you to the interview he gave stating that he doesn’t want to be a league one manager. But you can find it yourself.

Jonathan, I haven't listened to Fergie's interviews for the best part of this season. I lost that level of interest, so genuinely what you're saying is news to me.

I knew there was some agitation for a higher budget about a month back, but that's all I got. For people like me, that's why a statement is valuable.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 05, 2018, 09:16:55 pm by Copps is Magic »

Getting what from? I'm not stating any facts, I'm saying that if the mooted situation is that Fergie quit based on the budget then I don't see how that had anything to do with his "principles", as you stated and as a few others have said.

There's no morality in deciding that the board are wrong about what constitutes a good budget.

I know if I quit my job because my employer did something I didn't agree with - I would call it principles. It doesn't go much deeper than that. In any case, there was a hint of irony in my post.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 05, 2018, 09:27:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
What they have stated so far is enough for me.

If folk want more detail then they'll have to want as I think most people will concur that it's not right to wash dirty linen in public. Sometimes two parties can't agree the way forward, doesn't mean there's always a wrong or a right.

All I can judge is what I see on the pitch and I wasn't convinced he was getting the best out of the players individually or collectively. Sure, he had some mitigating circumstances with injuries etc, but some issues appear to have been self-inflicted.

I think he has got the club in a better position overall and I still think we are only 3 or 4 key players short of a good team and for that reason I was certainly willing to give him the benefit of doubt. For whatever reason(s) , he's called it a day. Good luck to him.

It's not the end of the world. We will continue to find a formula that works for us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012