Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:56:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can someone just be open and honest  (Read 6463 times)

godlike1

• Forum Member
Can someone just be open and honest
« on June 06, 2018, 07:01:18 am by godlike1 »
About what the chuff is going on at the club?

All I've been reading on here are either rumours or criptic message s from Martin. All of which leaves me with less and less trust and belief in those running the club having any ambition.

Don't get me wrong, I was not one of DFs greatest fans, in regards his tactics or his signings with probably 1 out of 3 proving to be successful. I not the greatest fan of those running the club either with ambition just being a code word for surviving/ getting  by etc.

That said, he found a formula to keep us  in the league and he'sposedly made great strides in improving things behind the scenes (what ever that means).

I think he felt limited in how far he can get with kids with potential and wanted to bring in some with proven quality. That would make sense to me.

It costs money to do this and needs ambition to match it as well.

With fergy going it tells me two things.

1) the board's budget did not meet fergys ambition and the understanding that you can't get success at a club when trying to run it as a business. You will go backwards as other clubs do invest and compete with those at the top of the table. Shrewsbury had a good season but will they do it again this season.............. unlikely without investment in their squad.

2) the board are not that ambitious, and only see a very steady growth to the championship, if at all, rather than trying to go for it to at least try and get to the play offs and to boost season ticket sales for example.

All in all I'm a genuinely disappointed and disheartened rovers fan

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Can someone just be open and honest
« Reply #1 on June 06, 2018, 07:04:42 am by GazLaz »
It boils down to Fergie thinking the boards expectations with the tools he was being given weren’t realistic. Simple as that. Fergie looked at the wage bill of the three sides promoted last season and knew we were nowhere near that level.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 06, 2018, 07:05:55 am by since-1969 »

All I've been reading on here are either rumours or criptic message s from Martin. All of which leaves me with less and less trust and belief in those running the club having any ambition.

Don't get me wrong, I was not one of DFs greatest fans, in regards his tactics or his signings with probably 1 out of 3 proving to be successful. I not the greatest fan of those running the club either with ambition just being a code word for surviving/ getting  by etc.

That said, he found a formula to keep us  in the league and he'sposedly made great strides in improving things behind the scenes (what ever that means).

I think he felt limited in how far he can get with kids with potential and wanted to bring in some with proven quality. That would make sense to me.

1) the board's budget did not meet fergys ambition and the understanding that you can't get success at a club when trying to run it as a business. You will go backwards as other clubs do invest and compete with those at the top of the table. Shrewsbury had a good season but will they do it again this season.............. unlikely without investment in their squad.

2) the board are not that ambitious, and only see a very steady growth to the championship, if at all, rather than trying to go for it to at least try and get to the play offs and to boost season ticket sales for example.

King is dead .. now long live the king ! It a new chapter .    We are a L1 side with a good squad of young players , a lot better than when DF came in after Dickov . So it’s half full for me .

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 06, 2018, 07:06:24 am by The Red Baron »
What exactly is wrong with  "steady growth to the Championship?" If someone told me we'd be playing in the Championship in five years' time I'd take that.

I suspect we have all got a bit too used to the idea of "boom and bust."

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 06, 2018, 07:18:31 am by Rovers Return »
It boils down to Fergie thinking the boards expectations with the tools he was being given weren’t realistic. Simple as that. Fergie looked at the wage bill of the three sides promoted last season and knew we were nowhere near that level.

So Ferguson, being an honest and upright fella, decides to do the really magnanimous thing and resign because the board don’t give him the funds he thinks he needs to build a Championship side. He doesn’t take his pay, he is bigger than that he walks away without a penny? Pull The bleeding other one. 🤔How about he gets the gist he may not last much longer and he has been rumbled by the board and a fair few fans that he is not the messiah just like at Peterborough and just like at Preston. He gets wind his P45 is on the horizon. Oh no not again he thinks that would be another sacking on my CV and that won’t look good. However if I pull the plug first, overnight that would make me look good and Doncaster Rovers look bad.

Just my opinion of course! 🙄
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:20:45 am by Rovers Return »

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 06, 2018, 07:29:58 am by Boomstick »

Possibly the best post of this sorry saga.
Sums up my feelings entirely

It's a shame being open is something the board refuse to do, as for honesty, we don't know! They've said f**k all ! As usual .
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:36:32 am by Boomstick »

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 06, 2018, 08:10:06 am by colincramb »

It's a shame being open is something the board refuse to do, as for honesty, we don't know! They've said f**k all ! As usual .

I really hate this about our fans sometimes. Why do some people think the club have to tell us everything about it’s internal matters!? From the playing budget figures (yes, some people have asked this) to the exact reason a manager had walked away.

Now the dust has settled, it’s obvious that there’s far more at play than what Ferguson has said. Obviously he was going to get his statement out there first. The club might choose to respond when they feel the time is right.

They have said we are getting a new manager, haven’t they? Isn’t that enough for now?

STABNASTY

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 06, 2018, 08:22:40 am by STABNASTY »
I am sick and tired of reading 'the board have no ambition'
Where are all the big money men queing up to put millions into our club. Apart from JR's failed attempt (due to lack of funds) all we've had is  what turned out to be a dodgy hedge fund wanting to buy us.
Where would we have been then?.
Under the current board at least we are stable and with the right management and a bit of luck still have a chance to make the Championship without the worry that our club will go in to financial meltdown if we don't succeed. If someone had said that we were in a position to at least challenge for the Championship in my first 25 years of following the Rovers, I would have snatched their hands off.
The board are still putting in millions every season to just to keep us where we are as gate receipts do not cover the costs.
Until a real money man with the clubs best interests at heart comes in why don't people stop slagging them off be thankful for what we have, without them we would be in the mire.
At least with the current board we still have a club. Some people forget the Richardson days and what a bad board/owner can do to a club.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 06, 2018, 08:33:07 am by Boomstick »
Not sure a manager quitting due to a disagreement with the board equates to stability.

As for wanting to know the inner workings, nah I'm sure that's much more mundane than people think.
But a statement of their ambition and future backing would stop the disillusionment the fans are quite understandably showing.

It's that easy, and to not do it smacks of contempt for the fans, or worse the ambition isn't actually there.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 06, 2018, 08:34:08 am by Filo »
The no ambition line gets peddled out all the time, mostly by those that struggle to interact with their single brain cell. When challenged they usually come out with how they want to spend other peoples money, they are usually the ones looking for a free ticket or reduced price ticket for games rather than go to the ticket office and buy one, they don't want to spend their own money, but are keen to spend other peoples money

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 06, 2018, 08:44:42 am by niteowler »
Couldnt agree more Mr Nasty , we could have had a few chicken farmers from India such as the Blackburn fans have had to put up with(even though they have been promoted) or owners at clubs such as  Blackpool, Coventry etc. I know which i would sooner have.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 06, 2018, 09:11:29 am by RedJ »
The no ambition line gets peddled out all the time, mostly by those that struggle to interact with their single brain cell. When challenged they usually come out with how they want to spend other peoples money, they are usually the ones looking for a free ticket or reduced price ticket for games rather than go to the ticket office and buy one, they don't want to spend their own money, but are keen to spend other peoples money

It's amazing how boomstick always comes crawling out of the woodwork when there's a chance to have a swipe at the board, as well.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 06, 2018, 09:18:32 am by DannyRovers »
I don't think we have no ambition. I'm just a bit worried that the ambitions of the manager didn't match up with the club, so much so he felt he had to walk. Of course, there may well have been other reasons why he walked. But this is what his statement interprets so that is all I can go off.

I'm hoping my worries go away when we hire our new manager, I feel this can really show our ambitions as a club.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 06, 2018, 09:20:15 am by silent majority »
godlike,

I take exception to the remark that I've peddled rumours or cryptic messages on this message board. When the news broke I spoke to the club immediately and then reported back on here to keep you informed. How can that be a rumour? Several chose not to believe what I wrote and others, one in particular, chose to infer that I'd said something completely different. For that reason I now hesitate to put more information into the public arena.

As for your definition of ambition = surviving/getting by I'm sure that any member of the board who is currently funding the club, your club, to the tune of £20m in recent years, would be annoyed and questioning why they do these things.

If you feel that having a top 8 budget in Lg1 last season, and an end of season result that saw the club finish 16th as we did, and that your consideration was that wasn't good enough then join the club!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 06, 2018, 09:22:17 am by silent majority »
I don't think we have no ambition. I'm just a bit worried that the ambitions of the manager didn't match up with the club, so much so he felt he had to walk. Of course, there may well have been other reasons why he walked. But this is what his statement interprets so that is all I can go off.

I'm hoping my worries go away when we hire our new manager, I feel this can really show our ambitions as a club.

Danny, you then have to consider who is running the club? Is it DF? And how much money do you throw at somebody who can't hit par with what he has?

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 06, 2018, 09:29:19 am by DannyRovers »

Danny, you then have to consider who is running the club? Is it DF? And how much money do you throw at somebody who can't hit par with what he has?

yes you're right. But Fergie wasn't sacked, he quit.

I hope it was a masterstroke from the board almost forcing him out saving us having to pay him off. But as a fan, I guess I will never know that.

I'm not moaning about any of this. I just feel many fans will see it how I do, especially the ones that don't come on here.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 06, 2018, 09:31:05 am by GazLaz »
godlike,

I take exception to the remark that I've peddled rumours or cryptic messages on this message board. When the news broke I spoke to the club immediately and then reported back on here to keep you informed. How can that be a rumour? Several chose not to believe what I wrote and others, one in particular, chose to infer that I'd said something completely different. For that reason I now hesitate to put more information into the public arena.

As for your definition of ambition = surviving/getting by I'm sure that any member of the board who is currently funding the club, your club, to the tune of £20m in recent years, would be annoyed and questioning why they do these things.

If you feel that having a top 8 budget in Lg1 last season, and an end of season result that saw the club finish 16th as we did, and that your consideration was that wasn't good enough then join the club!

Was our budget an average budget in the top 8 then Martin?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 06, 2018, 10:04:23 am by bobjimwilly »
Martin, if I were you I would just report back on your regular meetings with Gavin, which by the way hardly happens at any club in the Football League (a fan meeting regularly with the CEO), and leave it at that.  Don't try and answer for Gavin because so many on here will throw it back in your face because they dunt know they're born.
I would just act the messenger and don't rise to the bait, which seems to be giving so many on here wet dreams when you do.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 06, 2018, 11:04:53 am by godlike1 »
Where are all the big money men queing up to put millions into our club. Apart from JR's failed attempt (due to lack of funds) all we've had is  what turned out to be a dodgy hedge fund wanting to buy us.
Under the current board at least we are stable and with the right management and a bit of luck still have a chance to make the Championship without the worry that our club will go in to financial meltdown if we don't succeed. If someone had said that we were in a position to at least challenge for the Championship in my first 25 years of following the Rovers, I would have snatched their hands off.
The board are still putting in millions every season to just to keep us where we are as gate receipts do not cover the costs.
Until a real money man with the clubs best interests at heart comes in why don't people stop slagging them off be thankful for what we have, without them we would be in the mire.
At least with the current board we still have a club. Some people forget the Richardson days and what a bad board/owner can do to a club.

godlike,

Martin

Fine the rumours but was meant to be in relation to others who claim to know what’s going on.

I’ve not seen anything from you that has given a clear explanation of what is going on. There are just lots of little responses to others messages or comments.

As a supporters club lead with DRFC that is all I ask, or at least to be clearer in what you can tell us.

It is annoying that anyone in this forum who has an opinion is attacked for viewing it if it goes against the norm or the club.

I love the club as much as the next man and have more than earned the right to have a view and opinion.

If you’ve ever read articles from TB about his involvement in the club all he says he wants to have a sustainable club so he can pay back the town for their support as he grew his business.

Fair play to him for that and DW (RIP) and now his son. I will never be able to thank them enough for what they do and how they try to do it e.g. through club doncaster.

That said, you can not achieve sustainability in the football world without Constantly moving and investing in the squad. They have quite rightly looked to the long term in buying play for the future etc, but you also need quality players in the mix with some experience as well. They cost money, they also attract notice from the local public who will want to see these players in action and sense the desire to progress as well as more season ticket sales. These players cost money and clearly the budget offered by the board isn’t considered enough compared to the top three who went up by DF. Who’s right I don’t know but DFs ambition at the moment outstrips the clubs.

I don’t really care now if your or others (filo etc) do or don’t agree with what I say but one thing is for certain and that is there are a lot more of me than not with this view and as such the club have a big problem and task to go ahead and convince us all otherwise

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 06, 2018, 11:06:00 am by godlike1 »
What exactly is wrong with  "steady growth to the Championship?" If someone told me we'd be playing in the Championship in five years' time I'd take that.

I don’t disagree with that, I feel that we may not be prepared when we get there though

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 06, 2018, 11:08:14 am by godlike1 »

I really hate this about our fans sometimes. Why do some people think the club have to tell us everything about it’s internal matters!? From the playing budget figures (yes, some people have asked this) to the exact reason a manager had walked away.

Now the dust has settled, it’s obvious that there’s far more at play than what Ferguson has said. Obviously he was going to get his statement out there first. The club might choose to respond when they feel the time is right.

They have said we are getting a new manager, haven’t they? Isn’t that enough for now?

Going by the tweets this morning I get the sense that they were not expecting him to resign and at a loss of what to do nex

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 06, 2018, 11:43:15 am by jonnydog »

Reminds me of my first sexual experience!!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 06, 2018, 11:58:08 am by Filo »

godlike,

Martin

Fine the rumours but was meant to be in relation to others who claim to know what’s going on.

I’ve not seen anything from you that has given a clear explanation of what is going on. There are just lots of little responses to others messages or comments.

As a supporters club lead with DRFC that is all I ask, or at least to be clearer in what you can tell us.

It is annoying that anyone in this forum who has an opinion is attacked for viewing it if it goes against the norm or the club.

I love the club as much as the next man and have more than earned the right to have a view and opinion.

If you’ve ever read articles from TB about his involvement in the club all he says he wants to have a sustainable club so he can pay back the town for their support as he grew his business.

Fair play to him for that and DW (RIP) and now his son. I will never be able to thank them enough for what they do and how they try to do it e.g. through club doncaster.

That said, you can not achieve sustainability in the football world without Constantly moving and investing in the squad. They have quite rightly looked to the long term in buying play for the future etc, but you also need quality players in the mix with some experience as well. They cost money, they also attract notice from the local public who will want to see these players in action and sense the desire to progress as well as more season ticket sales. These players cost money and clearly the budget offered by the board isn’t considered enough compared to the top three who went up by DF. Who’s right I don’t know but DFs ambition at the moment outstrips the clubs.

I don’t really care now if your or others (filo etc) do or don’t agree with what I say but one thing is for certain and that is there are a lot more of me than not with this view and as such the club have a big problem and task to go ahead and convince us all otherwise

Just a minute, where do I come into this, my posts are my views and opinions, no one elses, and I speak and represent no one!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 06, 2018, 12:07:49 pm by RedJ »

Reminds me of my sexual experiences!!

Fixed for ya pal

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 06, 2018, 12:15:52 pm by Cantley Rover »

godlike,

Martin

Well said Godlike. However there are some on here who think nobody should criticise the board but instead we should all bow and doff our caps in gratitude for what they are doing for us humble peasants.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 06, 2018, 12:34:10 pm by mpc123 »
DF thought with a plan he had in mind the budget wasn't enough. A new manager with different thoughts and plans may think it is.

The board keep the club alive without them no club simple as, unless you find others and there currently is no others.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 06, 2018, 12:36:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Listen. Ever since JR left the remaining owners have received a vast amount of unwarranted accusations and criticisms and those nay sayers who said they were in it for themselves to reap profit from the sale of land at Keep moat and Cantley etc, have been proven wrong time and time again. They have continued to support the club financially and steered us through some difficult times.

If anyone should be trusted it's the board yet a minority can't wait to have a dig at them at the earliest opportunity despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Let's make this absolutely clear. The board have issued a statement that states we are looking for a manager that has the ability to manage in the Championship. That should be good enough for everyone.

Second point. They will not be held to ransome by anyone. Players, managers, hedge funds, agents, etc.

End of!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 06, 2018, 12:43:35 pm by idler »
The board could be awaiting some development before making a statement, possibly DF getting another job. They might want to discuss it between themselves at length rather than put something out there that then has to be changed.
At the end of the day DF has gone and personally I'm about as excited about him going as I was about his arrival.
We don't know the budget he asked for and we don't know the budget offered. You would expect negotiations went on and the board either wouldn't budge or not enough for DF. Maybe if he had spent money a little more wisely previously he would have earned more trust.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 06, 2018, 12:46:01 pm by redbrez »
Not that I'm not ungrateful to the board ,but this is what my query is

If we keep being told if we have a top 8 budget?
Quite a few supporters thought we were a couple of signings short before last season started, so at Christmas time fergie was talking of bringing signings in, then a couple of weeks later has the transfer window opened it changed from him sounding down and saying players would have to depart first?  Does this sound like a good budget?

So we move onto this season players depart so I'm hoping fergy  gets his business done early with signings , which should be a decent budget now with a couple of big earners gone ? But I'm guessing the problem is theres no extra money for signings  which we will despartltley need.

So in my eyes if we are not being told how good the wage budget is I wouldn't have a concern
So unless some players are on premiership wages how are we a top 8 budget?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:48:21 pm by redbrez »

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 06, 2018, 12:49:10 pm by LincsRover »

So Ferguson, being an honest and upright fella, decides to do the really magnanimous thing and resign because the board don’t give him the funds he thinks he needs to build a Championship side. He doesn’t take his pay, he is bigger than that he walks away without a penny? Pull The bleeding other one. 🤔How about he gets the gist he may not last much longer and he has been rumbled by the board and a fair few fans that he is not the messiah just like at Peterborough and just like at Preston. He gets wind his P45 is on the horizon. Oh no not again he thinks that would be another sacking on my CV and that won’t look good. However if I pull the plug first, overnight that would make me look good and Doncaster Rovers look bad.

Just my opinion of course! 🙄

:that:
I thought I was the only one who thought this and I’m glad I’m not going off my trolley! 🤪

TinyPortal © 2005-2012