Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:54:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can someone just be open and honest  (Read 6462 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Can someone just be open and honest
« Reply #30 on June 06, 2018, 12:52:04 pm by GazLaz »
It boils down to Fergie thinking the boards expectations with the tools he was being given weren’t realistic. Simple as that. Fergie looked at the wage bill of the three sides promoted last season and knew we were nowhere near that level.

So Ferguson, being an honest and upright fella, decides to do the really magnanimous thing and resign because the board don’t give him the funds he thinks he needs to build a Championship side. He doesn’t take his pay, he is bigger than that he walks away without a penny? Pull The bleeding other one. 🤔How about he gets the gist he may not last much longer and he has been rumbled by the board and a fair few fans that he is not the messiah just like at Peterborough and just like at Preston. He gets wind his P45 is on the horizon. Oh no not again he thinks that would be another sacking on my CV and that won’t look good. However if I pull the plug first, overnight that would make me look good and Doncaster Rovers look bad.

Just my opinion of course! 🙄

:that:
I thought I was the only one who thought this and I’m glad I’m not going off my trolley! 🤪

Very unlikely that he was going to get sacked anytime before Christmas.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 06, 2018, 01:29:11 pm by Rovers Return »
It boils down to Fergie thinking the boards expectations with the tools he was being given weren’t realistic. Simple as that. Fergie looked at the wage bill of the three sides promoted last season and knew we were nowhere near that level.

So Ferguson, being an honest and upright fella, decides to do the really magnanimous thing and resign because the board don’t give him the funds he thinks he needs to build a Championship side. He doesn’t take his pay, he is bigger than that he walks away without a penny? Pull The bleeding other one. 🤔How about he gets the gist he may not last much longer and he has been rumbled by the board and a fair few fans that he is not the messiah just like at Peterborough and just like at Preston. He gets wind his P45 is on the horizon. Oh no not again he thinks that would be another sacking on my CV and that won’t look good. However if I pull the plug first, overnight that would make me look good and Doncaster Rovers look bad.

Just my opinion of course! 🙄

:that:
I thought I was the only one who thought this and I’m glad I’m not going off my trolley! 🤪

Very unlikely that he was going to get sacked anytime before Christmas.

Or was he going to get the sack this week? 🙄

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 06, 2018, 01:59:51 pm by dickos1 »
I’ve never criticised what Martin has said, never suggested what he’s said isnt true, never accused him of protecting the owners.
The only issue I’ve ever had is whenever I say something that I’ve found out from inside the club he comes back at me “yet more rubbish” and constantly accuses me of making stuff up.
Like I said I have never accused him of anything and the only time we disagree over anything is when he accuses me of making stuff up and I’m defending myself.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 06, 2018, 02:39:04 pm by RedJ »
Not that I'm not ungrateful to the board ,but this is what my query is

If we keep being told if we have a top 8 budget?
Quite a few supporters thought we were a couple of signings short before last season started, so at Christmas time fergie was talking of bringing signings in, then a couple of weeks later has the transfer window opened it changed from him sounding down and saying players would have to depart first?  Does this sound like a good budget?

So we move onto this season players depart so I'm hoping fergy  gets his business done early with signings , which should be a decent budget now with a couple of big earners gone ? But I'm guessing the problem is theres no extra money for signings  which we will despartltley need.

So in my eyes if we are not being told how good the wage budget is I wouldn't have a concern
So unless some players are on premiership wages how are we a top 8 budget?

I really don't understand why people want to know the size of the budget. 1) while not totally irrelevant, it's almost always more about how you use it, and 2) if we know, the whole f**king world will know too. Why would the board want the people we're dealing with to have any idea of the size of the budget?

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 06, 2018, 02:48:43 pm by redbrez »
Not interested in how much the budget is , but if we get told we have a top 8 budget ? If I got told by a good sources that we had the lowest budget I would be fine with that and would expect a small squad  not many signings ect, but I  feel the frustrations knowing we had an ambitious manager wanting to get out of this division , but not being able to go after transfer targets? Then like I said  at the January transfer window listening to the interviews fergies  said something like don't want too much change but might be looking at getting 1 or 2 players in, then it changed to we have too sell some players first?
And we hardly bought many players at the begging of the season , s if we had a good budget where's it gone .? That's my frustration?
I j

something doesn't just  add up in my opinion ?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:51:21 pm by redbrez »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 06, 2018, 03:58:56 pm by silent majority »
I’ve never criticised what Martin has said, never suggested what he’s said isnt true, never accused him of protecting the owners.
The only issue I’ve ever had is whenever I say something that I’ve found out from inside the club he comes back at me “yet more rubbish” and constantly accuses me of making stuff up.
Like I said I have never accused him of anything and the only time we disagree over anything is when he accuses me of making stuff up and I’m defending myself.

Dickos, I havn't ever accused you of making stuff up. (there you go again altering what I have said). What I have said is that what you have posted is either wrong or rubbish, there is a difference.

When you posted that DF had been told that there was no money available in the January transfer window I told you that wasn't true. The club went on to renegotiate the Houghton loan deal so we could sign him up (he chose not to in the end after he had committed himself), we then had to sign and contract Whiteman after SUFC held us to ransom. We also had to bring in two emergency loans to cover the injuries to our back line. Now, please tell me how we could do that if no money was available?

You then posted that you'd heard some disturbing news that was serious if true. You confirmed that the club had gone looking for an emergency loan to cover revenue streams because our ST sales didn't match up with what we anticipated or forecasted. Again there was no truth in that rumour either.

And as you posted elsewhere I did send you a rather robust PM. I held my hand up to that one and apologised a couple of days later explaining I'd just lost a close friend to terminal cancer on that particular day. It was rather disingenuous of you to mention that on this public forum.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 06, 2018, 04:54:59 pm by dickos1 »
Martin
I never said we had no money in January, I said Ferguson gave the board a list of players he and Wilcox had devised and were told by the board they couldn’t try and sign any of them.
At that time whiteman was staying until the end of the season but yes once he was about to go elsewhere the board did what they could to sign him.
The second point I stated at the time was a rumour and wasn’t a fact like the January issue, I didn’t say anything about what the rumour was only to the people who asked me via private message until yesterday when someone asked me on here and thought it would be ok to say now Ferguson had gone.

I know you did apologise but people were probably wondering why I responded like I did to you just saying no, so I said it wasn’t just that occasion where you implied I was talking rubbish. I didn’t bring up anything regarding your close friend.

The January story regarding the list of players came from Ferguson’s own mouth so yes he could be making it up but not sure why he would

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 06, 2018, 05:31:36 pm by jonnydog »
I suspect we have all got a bit too used to the idea of "boom and bust."

Reminds me of my sexual experiences!!

Fixed for ya pal

I never heard you complaining!!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 06, 2018, 05:37:02 pm by Filo »

Fixed for ya pal

You would n't with a gimp mask and gag in his mouth 😀😀😀

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 06, 2018, 05:52:46 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Managers going to the board and asking for lots of players to be signed is 100% normal isn't it? And I bet the majority of the time the board will say they can't afford most of the targets not sure why this would be a shock to anyone or so offensive as to quit it happens at every club 

Now if our board was acting like they are at Bradford that is a reason to quit but because they won't meet your every demand is just real life.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 06, 2018, 06:23:39 pm by dickos1 »
I never said he went with a long list of players and I’ve certainly not suggested that’s why he quit.
Talk about Chinese whispers

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 06, 2018, 06:58:55 pm by LincolnDonny »
who ever is chosen by the board ........

lets 100% of us get behind the new manager ...

as there always seems to be a few who put a proviso .

or after a short time says ..........well i effin said not to pick him............

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 06, 2018, 07:30:13 pm by jonnydog »

Fixed for ya pal

Good point, well made!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 06, 2018, 08:30:59 pm by idler »

Fixed for ya pal

Good point, well made!
I hope that's not a euphemism johnnydog.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 06, 2018, 08:49:48 pm by RedJ »

Fixed for ya pal

f**k sake I told you not to show anybody the pictures...

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 06, 2018, 09:24:58 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I never said he went with a long list of players and I’ve certainly not suggested that’s why he quit.
Talk about Chinese whispers

Then why bring it up in the context of fergie leaving? people naturally read things into what is said in the context at the time don't you understand that when you post

Is your comment then just a statement of, as you see it, fact which has nothing to do with the topic? i don't get why you'd post it then really.

If it means anything i never said you said fergie went with a long list i said i was talking generally that it happens but of course you read it in context of the topic like i'm saying above see... but thats Chinese whispers for you

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 06, 2018, 10:16:51 pm by dickos1 »
I didn’t
I posted it in December/January other people have brought it back up.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 06, 2018, 11:22:38 pm by Chris Black come back »
Finally got your wish of Ferguson leaving, albeit two years after you first called for him to go.

Patience is very much a virtue.

Hope we can have a more supportive environment for the next guy than folk calling for the sack after only a few months in the job.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 06, 2018, 11:45:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Whatever the facts are, or the specific reason(s) Fergie decided to leave, we may never know. As I've said before a football managers lot is a very stressful and demanding occupation. It's not easy to be successful.

DF had a working budget to commence his recruitment. Prior to this he would have had an idea the budget was likely to be about the same. However, he may have put a recruitment plan together which involved specific targets that would likely evaporate the budget very quickly and potentially bring in some high earners, although more likely in his mind, to bring success. Let's consider Taylor as an example.

That plan may have involved a significant risk that the board may not been able to approve as it could mean being lumbered with a bigger funding gap, wages spiralling up, which they are not comfortable with so they said sorry Darren, we can't commit to that now. They may have expected DF would then go onto start his recruitment. (Anderson being one) then if at sometime further down the line go back to them and review the spend to date v the quality of players brought in etc.

Instead, maybe DF had already committed himself to that risk and rather try to compromise by doing it prudently, just decided he'd had enough. Given his dad's health issues he may have just re-evaluated and thought, it's not worth it.

As said before, maybe that stress was already building up with some of the behaviour and comments in the latter half of the season, particularly with the criticism coming from the stands, the shoot the ref incident.

I think he's a honourable man, I think he's given his best but it hasn't worked out aswell as we all hoped.

All speculation on my part. I don't think we need a witch hunt, we just have to accept it and move on.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 07, 2018, 12:05:42 am by Donnybax »
If we did have a top 8 budget we must’ve been heavily over paying our players!! We didn’t have a player who played above league 2 level from the previous season!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 07, 2018, 06:40:40 am by dickos1 »
Finally got your wish of Ferguson leaving, albeit two years after you first called for him to go.

Hope we can have a more supportive environment for the next guy than folk calling for the sack after only a few months in the job.

One thing is for certain, this time in 6 months you will be moaning about the new manager and spouting the same turgit nonsense as you have with all the other recent managers.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 07, 2018, 07:39:07 am by ditch_drfc »

Tbf (and I never called for his head) but when your new manager takes you down to League 2 just a few months into their reign you can kind of understand people calling for his head!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on June 07, 2018, 07:41:53 am by dickos1 »
Exactly mate
And I don’t think anyone would’ve had any complaints had he left them even Fergie himself. But some people have managed to move on and accepted the boards decision to keep him on which proved to be the correct decision and others never could

TinyPortal © 2005-2012