Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:35:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SOD second chance?  (Read 4338 times)

Roversfan1

• Forum Member
SOD second chance?
« on June 07, 2018, 08:49:45 pm by Roversfan1 »
What is SOD up to kmowadsys? Would anyone like him back

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: SOD second chance?
« Reply #1 on June 07, 2018, 09:46:09 pm by RedJ »
I wonder if our fans will ever actually move on from him.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 07, 2018, 09:48:57 pm by MachoMadness »
He's got his dream job at Wolves, he's doing alright.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 07, 2018, 10:05:28 pm by Filo »
There seems to be some kind of obsession with our fans with living in the past.

Is Maurice Setters or Stan Anderson still around?

Derby Viking

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 07, 2018, 10:14:17 pm by Derby Viking »
Sammy Chung is waiting on the phone

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 07, 2018, 11:44:35 pm by pib »
There seems to be some kind of obsession with our fans with living in the past.

Is Maurice Setters or Stan Anderson still around?

This.

I'd rather move forward, not sign old players and bring old managers back.

Roversfan1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 08, 2018, 06:46:12 am by Roversfan1 »
Was just playing devils advocate, if I'm honest though I can't see a problem with hiring an old manager, you would all be quite happy to re sign players so why not a manager?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 08, 2018, 07:17:41 am by DRNaith »
The patience he was shown at the beginning of his tenure with us would definitely not be endured by fans a second time around!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 08, 2018, 08:01:21 am by Alickismyhero »
Copps is the key to Sean coming back. Just think back to Eddy Howe at Bournemouth and when he first took over and he got Sean back to show him the ropes of management. With Copps the front man and Sean the brains and experience behind him it would work but alas the man with the money will not have it, I am sorry to say, not sure Sean would appreciate working for Bramall again but stranger things happen in football.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 08, 2018, 08:36:16 am by Glyn_Wigley »
This thread makes the rather large assumption that SOD would want to give Rovers a second chance.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2018, 09:23:16 am by RedJ »
Was just playing devils advocate, if I'm honest though I can't see a problem with hiring an old manager, you would all be quite happy to re sign players so why not a manager?
He was found out towards the end of his time here.

We have some weird obsession with him, I think some of us have never been able to accept that he's gone and he's never coming back.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2018, 10:21:33 am by MachoMadness »
While I do think SO'D was unlucky with injuries and this no doubt played a part in the run of form we had, I also find it interesting that the injury crisis miraculously stopped when Saunders came in with his own fitness coaches. That L1-winning side was unbelievably fit.

I remember the football that was served up towards the end of his tenure though. Reece Brown. Dearie me.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2018, 11:08:54 am by Chris Black come back »
Whatever the causes, that opening day game against Brighton said it all to me. Naylor at centre back and Sharp at centre forward. Talk about feast and famine.

Forgot also at that game we led through Sharp until last few minutes.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2018, 11:13:33 am by idler »
We were also as good as them and looked fairly comfortable until Billy's injury.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2018, 11:26:22 am by Drover »
This thread makes the rather large assumption that SOD would want to give Rovers a second chance.
And TB would want to give SOD a second chance!

Roversfan1

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 08, 2018, 11:36:12 am by Roversfan1 »
Wonder why managers can't have a second chance? I'm not assuming SOD is even in the running or that he wants a change, but maybe a bit of nostalgia is what the club needs, personally I loved his style of play, we had something that could of been built with him but circumstances arose. Wonder if him as manager and cops as assistant would encourage fans to come back. Who better to learn from.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 08, 2018, 11:51:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
While I do think SO'D was unlucky with injuries and this no doubt played a part in the run of form we had, I also find it interesting that the injury crisis miraculously stopped when Saunders came in with his own fitness coaches. That L1-winning side was unbelievably fit.

I remember the football that was served up towards the end of his tenure though. Reece Brown. Dearie me.

Just dawned on me. O’Driscoll was our Noel Gallagher.

Gallagher spent years as a roadie for Inspiral Carpets. He crafted and honed a set of songs that, briefly, would make Oasis the best band in history. But he couldn’t keep on turning out genius tracks. It’s not possible. So he ended up becoming a pastiche of what he was. He knew the idea but he couldn’t fill in the detail.

Similarly with O’Driscoll. He honed his craft with Bournemouth inbthe lower divisions. When he joined us, he knew EXACTLY what style of football he wanted to play and which under-rated players could play it. He put together the best side that most of us have ever seen for the Rovers. Stock, Wellens, Hayter, Mills, Coppinger were his Slide Away, Columbia and Live Forever.

But after that initial explosion, it’s hard to keep being a genius. He knew the principle but he couldn’t fill in the dots. So we ended up with Dumbuya, Martis, Shiels, Moussa and Webster. His equivalent of D’You Know What I Mean, Stop Crying Your Heart Out, The Hindu Times, All Around the World. You can see what he was trying to do but it just didn’t work like the early stuff. The magic had gone.

Right. Back to work.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 08, 2018, 12:14:00 pm by Al4475 »
MM as an oasis fan and a SO'D fan - I love this take on things - top man!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 08, 2018, 12:29:24 pm by RedJ »
Wonder why managers can't have a second chance? I'm not assuming SOD is even in the running or that he wants a change, but maybe a bit of nostalgia is what the club needs, personally I loved his style of play, we had something that could of been built with him but circumstances arose. Wonder if him as manager and cops as assistant would encourage fans to come back. Who better to learn from.

What? this has to be among the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. What would nostalgia add to his management exactly?

Roversfan1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 08, 2018, 12:36:40 pm by Roversfan1 »
Think you mean ever read, point proven, I'm trying to add a positive to the situation  and another fan brings me down.  No wonder the clubs slowly declining, no one would criticise Chelsea for bringing mourning back, it's a morale boost.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 08, 2018, 12:47:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

What? this has to be among the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. What would nostalgia add to his management exactly?
#

Oh c'mon Red, aren't you just aching for the days when we were shit year after year until our final humiliating slide into the Conference? Happy days.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 08, 2018, 01:22:21 pm by RoversAlias »
Copps is the key to Sean coming back. Just think back to Eddy Howe at Bournemouth and when he first took over and he got Sean back to show him the ropes of management. With Copps the front man and Sean the brains and experience behind him it would work but alas the man with the money will not have it, I am sorry to say, not sure Sean would appreciate working for Bramall again but stranger things happen in football.

So you posit a scenario that in all likelihood isn't at all realistic, because neither Sean nor Copps are probably at all interested in being our manager/coaching team now, then criticise the current owner because he "won't have it". He won't have what, exactly? Your unrealistic dream? You really can't make it up with Rovers fans.

And Roversfan1 - no one would criticise Chelsea getting Mourinho back? I certainly would, he's been there twice and burned out in Year 3 both times. And when it's suggested we bring back old players such as Sharp, Mills etc. there are plenty who say "no thanks", myself included. You have to look forward to go forward, not always keep hanging on to past glories.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 08, 2018, 02:29:40 pm by RedJ »
Think you mean ever read, point proven, I'm trying to add a positive to the situation  and another fan brings me down.  No wonder the clubs slowly declining, no one would criticise Chelsea for bringing mourning back, it's a morale boost.

Because Mourinho had gone to other big clubs and won major trophies. O'Driscoll has achieved nothing since he left. He's had other jobs, yes, but what has he achieved? what was his most recent managerial post at club level? I'm sorry but what on earth would "nostalgia" achieve? if you think that's why they brought Jose back then I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 08, 2018, 03:26:14 pm by Alickismyhero »

So you posit a scenario that in all likelihood isn't at all realistic, because neither Sean nor Copps are probably at all interested in being our manager/coaching team now, then criticise the current owner because he "won't have it". He won't have what, exactly? Your unrealistic dream? You really can't make it up with Rovers fans.

And Roversfan1 - no one would criticise Chelsea getting Mourinho back? I certainly would, he's been there twice and burned out in Year 3 both times. And when it's suggested we bring back old players such as Sharp, Mills etc. there are plenty who say "no thanks", myself included. You have to look forward to go forward, not always keep hanging on to past glories.

Rovers Alias take it easy you'll bursty a blood vessel.

Lets take it step by step:
How does anyone know if Sean would come back or that Copps would like to move in to management? it was just a possible concept but unlikely because of Bramall's view on Sean, but still possible.

Whats wrong with dreaming? is the club dreaming with the target of getting in to the Championship with the proposed budget?

The game revolves around dreams.

The dream goes on for me.

In the end its the man with money, Bramall, who will have the last word, not me.

I just pointed out that Sean helped Howe out at Bournemouth when he took over as manager which would be a similar scenario to Sean and Copps, is it not?

So it could work but I admit it is highly unlikely.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 08, 2018, 05:05:35 pm by RoversAlias »
I can assure you my blood vessels are, to the best of my knowledge, perfectly okay.

However you do make a good point on dreams in football. I just get tired of seeing people unfairly criticising Bramall and/or "the board". Perhaps you weren't doing that so apologies if not.

Me personally, I'd like us to move on from the past and that includes Sean. Copps, if he wanted to be, would get my full support as a manager but I don't get the impression it's something he fancies at least not in the immediate future.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 08, 2018, 07:30:52 pm by drfchound »

Just dawned on me. O’Driscoll was our Noel Gallagher.

Gallagher spent years as a roadie for Inspiral Carpets. He crafted and honed a set of songs that, briefly, would make Oasis the best band in history. But he couldn’t keep on turning out genius tracks. It’s not possible. So he ended up becoming a pastiche of what he was. He knew the idea but he couldn’t fill in the detail.

Similarly with O’Driscoll. He honed his craft with Bournemouth inbthe lower divisions. When he joined us, he knew EXACTLY what style of football he wanted to play and which under-rated players could play it. He put together the best side that most of us have ever seen for the Rovers. Stock, Wellens, Hayter, Mills, Coppinger were his Slide Away, Columbia and Live Forever.

But after that initial explosion, it’s hard to keep being a genius. He knew the principle but he couldn’t fill in the dots. So we ended up with Dumbuya, Martis, Shiels, Moussa and Webster. His equivalent of D’You Know What I Mean, Stop Crying Your Heart Out, The Hindu Times, All Around the World. You can see what he was trying to do but it just didn’t work like the early stuff. The magic had gone.

Right. Back to work.

Noel Gallagher still writes great songs and picks up millions of pounds on the back of them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 08, 2018, 07:44:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Noel Gallagher hasn’t written a truly great song for 2 and a half decades. In 1993/94 he effortlessly melded 30 years worth of British rock and pop influences into quite magnificent compositions. Since then, he’s been little more than a Beatles tribute act.

The last really top class track he was involved in was Let Forever Be with the Chemical Brothers and even that was really just a re-hash of Tomorrow Never Knows by the Beatles.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 08, 2018, 07:58:02 pm by drfchound »
BST. It is all about opinions.
I rate the High Flying Birds and some of the songs they do are terrific.
Just because you don’t like them doesn’t make them bad songs.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 08, 2018, 08:01:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Good songs are in the ear of the listener.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 08, 2018, 08:19:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I disagree. There’s an objectivity to music too. I’m not talking about what sounds nice to an individual’s ear. (And I didn’t say I didn’t like listening to his later stuff Hound.) I’m talking about what sets the standard and moves the field on.

All music is derived to some extent from everything that has gone before it. Real genius takes a plethora of influences, melts it down and turns it into a new synthesis. It’s a lower standard of creativity to effectively copy one or two previous styles.

Noel Gallagher did that for a while and it was sublime but after that he fell back in imitating the Beatles. I’m not saying he didn’t make some decent tracks in those later years and I dare say there’s plenty of folk like them judging by the fact that he’s not short of a few bob. But they weren’t the creative genius of the early days when he was combining everything from MerseyBeat, 60s psychedelia, Glam Rock, punk, Jesus & Mary Chain distortion, 80s indie rock and Madchester attitude and producing exquisitely perfect British rock music.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012