Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:12:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oxford United game  (Read 6966 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Oxford United game
« on April 24, 2019, 09:01:50 am by selby »
  How do you follow that? is the main question, so disappointed last night with first the result, and secondly with the team picked.
   Disjointed, no balance to the central defenders, and two of our better players somewhat mysteriously left out, and senior players who you would think would have things to say in the dressing room.
 Have things gone tits up off the field? can we get back at it on Saturday? who do you play? is the manager just tinkering? Or does he have doubts about what is his best team? surely something he should know by now.
  The two biggest problems are that we do not have a right back, and if the two strikers are shackled the back up strikers are at least two standards below division 1.
   Add to that other players being out of form, and a lack of pace down the centre of defence and things do   not look good.
   Why have we changed systems in the last two games?
   Why pick players who have done nothing all season at this level?
  Will we go to Oxford with any hope of getting the result  we need?
  Or will our season finish the way the last two have? disappointed and at a time when season ticket sales are important to the club knocking the stuffing out of the supporters?
  Everyone has their own thoughts, mine is that we have a nucleus of probably thirteen players we should turn to, and the others are water carriers and just make up the numbers.
   Please have your say

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oxford United game
« Reply #1 on April 24, 2019, 09:29:15 am by Campsall rover »
Team for Oxford assuming all are fit.
Marosi

Blair
Anderson/Downing
Butler
Andrews

Kane
Whiteman
Rowe

Coppinger

Wilks
Marquis

4-3-1-2
Copps needs to play behind front 2 where he is influencing the game.
Total waste of his talents playing him wide left imo.

I did say Sadlier needs to start on another thread last night but in hindsight the above team gives more experience and Copps has to start if fit.

Subs. Jones, Lewis, Anderson/Downing, Crawford, Sadlier, May, Smith.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 24, 2019, 10:42:42 am by Donnywolf »
My away form has transferred to home now !

I will stick with my trust in GM - far more inspirational than ....... ever was !

He will know he has problems at the moment and when (not if) we make the Play offs the real test of his mettle will be right there in focus

On paper the above starting 11 looks ok to me and hopefully we will get them geed up for Saturday - and there are some in there that really need a kick up the backside !

Better not name them because people on here then defend them to the hilt and in some cases cant see that as good as "player x/y/z" is he is just not doing the business at this moment. He will come back all guns blazing but it would be good if he / they did it now ! I say they because there is more than one at the moment as we could see last night and at Sunderland

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 24, 2019, 10:51:04 am by johnny rovers »
 Sadlier has to start after his second half last night.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 24, 2019, 11:01:15 am by Dare to dream! »
Just looked at Oxford and they really are in cracking form. We’re going to need to be brave and not let the pressure get to us.

I have a sneaky feeling Walsall may pull something out of the bag v Boro

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 24, 2019, 11:03:22 am by Campsall rover »
If Copps is not fit/unavailable then yes he does. But not sure you can play them both from the start.
Who else do you leave out without unbalancing the team?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 24, 2019, 11:25:58 am by selby »
  Paul, I think that would be my exact team and formation, and would also add Boocock for May on the bench. He has earned it scoring goals at reserve team level, which May has also struggled to do.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:06:25 pm by selby »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 24, 2019, 11:33:25 am by Campsall rover »
  Paul, I think that would be my exact team and formation, and would also add Boocock for may on the bench. He has earned it scoring goals at reserve team level, which May has also struggled to do.
Won’t argue with that Brian.
I know you like Crawford as i also do for his energy, closing down, and passing (most of the time )
Problem is he can’t tackle and in a 3 in midfield we need people who can.
He is also blowing hot and cold with his performances.
2nd half at Sunderland excellent, 1st half last night awful to put it politely.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 24, 2019, 11:41:50 am by sedwardsdrfc »
My team would be

Marosi
Blair Anderson Butler Andrews
      Crawford Rowe
Wilks Copps Sadlier
       Marquis

we had some good wins with that team and would give Whiteman a bit longer to get back we really can't afford half fit players out there.

Edit: completely forgot about Kane he goes in for Rowe on this Rowe is too hit and miss but he's a really good sub with half and hour left to make something happen

I would also consider a 442 with smith up with marquis and Wilks on the right sadlier the left and Rowe/Sadlier wide if copps isn't able to start. Think John might need some help up their and Smiths pace could give him that
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:45:02 am by sedwardsdrfc »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 24, 2019, 12:47:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
If you are going to use Boocock on the bench Incan be for May or Smith, because apart from score two goals against Burton he’s done nothing in any of his chances to play. Both are not up to a league 1 playoff team, mind there are a few more in the squad.

Wasn’t there last night apart from shooting did Sadlier or Wilks create any chances for other players.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:49:10 pm by steve@dcfd »

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 24, 2019, 12:57:43 pm by johnny rovers »
If Copps is not fit/unavailable then yes he does. But not sure you can play them both from the start.

Simples, Rowe

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 24, 2019, 03:54:51 pm by Campsall rover »

Simples, Rowe
Not simples at all because Sadlier is not a player who is going to be comfortable in a midfield 3
He is ideally suited to playing in the hole behind 2 strikers or in a front 3
It’s no good doing a Fergie and putting square pegs in round holes just to accommodate someone in the team.
Any successful team needs a structure and one that has the players playing in their best positions.
For example we have desperately missed Niall Mason because poor old Matty Blair is once again doing the full back role and having to do more defending than attacking. His greatest asset is is pace and his abilities are being stifled. Having said that he is a great pro and just gets on with what he is being asked to do without a fuss.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 24, 2019, 05:35:19 pm by johnny rovers »
I'd play sadlier in the front three with copps Whitman and Kane in midfield. Rowe would be benched

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 24, 2019, 05:39:12 pm by NewDonny »

Simples, Rowe
Not simples at all because Sadlier is not a player who is going to be comfortable in a midfield 3
He is ideally suited to playing in the hole behind 2 strikers or in a front 3
It’s no good doing a Fergie and putting square pegs in round holes just to accommodate someone in the team.
Any successful team needs a structure and one that has the players playing in their best positions.
For example we have desperately missed Niall Mason because poor old Matty Blair is once again doing the full back role and having to do more defending than attacking. His greatest asset is is pace and his abilities are being stifled. Having said that he is a great pro and just gets on with what he is being asked to do without a fuss.

Sadlier can play anywhere across a midfield 3, left or right of a front 3 or in the hole in the 10. He's not in fact a striker he's an attacking midfielder.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 24, 2019, 05:41:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
Midfield has to be Kane, Rowe and Whiteman if fit.

Upfront Marquis, Wilks and then either Copps or Sadlier.

If we put Lewis in at right back then maybe drop Rowe for him in midfield.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 24, 2019, 07:20:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
We have done ok with three in midfield, until Whiteman and Kane closed in on 10 bookings then got injured. They covered for the third player with there aggression and stamina. We need three players who can get up and down, tackle and have power. Crawford and Rowe two different players but cannot play in that role unless the other two above do all the dirty work.
That’s why 4231 worked for the 4 games without them.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 24, 2019, 07:23:24 pm by silent majority »
I think we keep forgetting that Sadlier had already had a tough season in the Irish Leagues before he came to us. The guy needs a rest, which is why his outings have been limited.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 24, 2019, 07:40:34 pm by NewDonny »
I think we keep forgetting that Sadlier had already had a tough season in the Irish Leagues before he came to us. The guy needs a rest, which is why his outings have been limited.

Yep, spot on SM Sadlier's  been playing for 14 months straight which is why GM has been managing his pitch time and resting him when he can.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 24, 2019, 10:28:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Interesting looking at Oxford's form this season. They flip in and out of form rapidly.

From early Sept, their form in all competitions has gone.

8 matches without a win
16 matches with only one defeat
14 matches with only one win
11 matches with only one defeat.

Let's hope they're due another flip eh?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 24, 2019, 11:59:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'd take the second half performance the other night without having to wait until we're down to produce it.

We need players on the pitch that are prepared to put their bodies on the line for the cause.

For that reason, Butler comes in for me. Not too fussy who plays with him.. Probably Downing who has a little more pace than Anderson.

Andrew. Yep, no other option but we need him to defend better, and when in the attacking half, make more than a half arsed effort to make himself available for the pass. And yes, more of the same from free kicks please.

Whiteman. More of the same from our most consistent player who makes us tick.

Kane. Just needs to keep it simple and keep supporting the ball carrier and finding space. No need for hail Mary passes too frequently.

Sadlier. Show the same intent and be disciplined in the team shape.

Wilks. Do what you like in the final third but use the other players who are there to help you in the middle third.

Marquis. Get your head up. Keep it simple and slow down a bit. Get into those positions of most opportunity.

Copps. The player I most want to see on the pitch to see the game out to hold his head whilst others are losing theirs. For that reason, I'd start him on the bench and get him on for the last 30 or 20 depending on the state of the game.

Crawford. Perhaps wanting to stick to the game plan literally but ends up rushing passes that miss his intended target. Bench for me.

Rowe. Can't afford for you to disappear for periods. You don't set the standard high enough for long enough. Bench for me.

Blair. No doubt at his best and we're better for it when he can run at defences from midfield. Plus, he'll give everything. This means might have to bring in Lewis to accommodate that.

Seems like I'm advocating a flexible 442 to give us a platform in the game before going for it with a 433 if we can. Get in front and get solid with the 4411.

Go and get the job done!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 25, 2019, 01:30:01 pm by selby »
 Based on Tuesdays second half team, Lewis in for Blair( a better defender) and Copps in for Sadlier but playing central ( in the hole)  behind Marquis and Wilks up front who would have licence to roam making them harder to pick up.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 25, 2019, 01:49:21 pm by NickDRFC »
Interesting looking at Oxford's form this season. They flip in and out of form rapidly.

8 matches without a win

Bit more exaggerated than ours but our league form has been a rollercoaster this year as well:

1 defeat in the first 10 games
1 win in the next 7 games
1 defeat in the next 9 games
2 wins in the next 12 games
4 wins on the bounce
2 defeats on the bounce

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 25, 2019, 02:17:32 pm by jackthelad »
Still undecided on whether to go this game.  :crying:

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 25, 2019, 03:35:11 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

8 matches without a win

But guess who has the best record excluding the top 5 teams over the last ten matches -- this site chose the last ten not me

won 7 drawn 2 lost 1 (23 points)   both Rovers and Peterborough are  won 4 drawn 2 lost 4 (14 points)

https://thefishy.co.uk/leaguetable.php?table=3&season=16

and last home game they beat Charlton 2-1

here are their last ten results

https://thefishy.co.uk/team.php?team=Oxford+Utd

and a league table for the last ten matches they are 3rd (2nd equal actually) behind Portsmouth

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3&season=16

so on paper this is a much harder match than at first appears

i'd better get the discliaimer in quick "Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results"

this is a brilliant site as we know
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:38:00 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 25, 2019, 07:24:15 pm by NewDonny »
Based on Tuesdays second half team, Lewis in for Blair( a better defender) and Copps in for Sadlier but playing central ( in the hole)  behind Marquis and Wilks up front who would have licence to roam making them harder to pick up.

Sorry, Lewis is not a better defender than Blair, not even close and why would you drop Sadlier who was our best player from the second half when Wilks was almost anonymous all night?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 25, 2019, 07:33:46 pm by since-1969 »
At this stage of the season it shouldn’t matter who plays now as everyone should be focused on the job that needs doing . Players should be hammering McCann's door to be in the side . We have seen to many games where we’ve just not committed to the job at hand and just stroll about taking the game for granted . If players can’t play at their best now then it’s not football they should be playing .

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 26, 2019, 09:00:47 pm by adamtherover »
for me, first name on the team sheet, only player who knows we can only score if we shoot!!

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 27, 2019, 08:02:28 am by esdailles left foot »
                       Marosi
Lewis.    Downing.   Anderson.   Andrew
  Kane.       Whiteman.      Rowe
 Blair.        Marquis.     Wilks

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 27, 2019, 08:05:40 am by Campsall rover »
                       Marosi
Lewis.    Downing.   Anderson.   Andrew
  Kane.       Whiteman.      Rowe
 Blair.        Marquis.     Wilks
No Butler or Copps are you serious or mad?

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 27, 2019, 08:18:56 am by esdailles left foot »
Butler turns like the Titanic, Copps more beneficial from the bench. We need legs and a strange concept I know but let's play Blair in his natural position

TinyPortal © 2005-2012