Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:14:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So... What does everyone think?  (Read 1763 times)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
So... What does everyone think?
« on April 22, 2011, 04:53:49 pm by jonnydog »
I thought we played much better, and quite a few positives coming away from todays game.

Woods - Finally kept his 1st clean sheet in a while (hopefully more confidence!!). Some excellent goal stopping saves and now looking very much like something for the future... iF ONLY someone could teach him how to kick the ball, and also release quicker!!

The back 4 looked good, Friend was amazing and a well-deserved MOM.

Midfield I thought was looking something more like, Stock seemed more off form, but gilly played well and Moussa again playing well.

... and hats off for Euell, pleased to see him not only start, but also play the full 90.

I just feel that the attack needs a re-jig, just to offer some alternate options.

The atmosphere I felt was good, at both ends, just a shame we didnt finish with 3 points.

On to Dingle monday...

:scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

atick45

• Forum Member
Re: So come on then? What does everyone think?
« Reply #1 on April 22, 2011, 04:56:12 pm by atick45 »
Stock was on form .Are you having a laugh or what? He was utter s... Even said so on Radio Sheff

ljm-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 22, 2011, 04:59:14 pm by ljm-drfc »
That wasn't Woods' first clean sheet, he kept one on his first start against Burnley.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 22, 2011, 04:59:30 pm by jonnydog »
sorry, total typo, and as such ammended.:headbang:

Rover13

• Forum Member
Re: So... What does everyone think?
« Reply #4 on April 22, 2011, 04:59:36 pm by Rover13 »
Agree Many positives from match and woods kept a clean sheet at forest as well

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 22, 2011, 05:01:08 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Didn't think we created as much as we can, we were far better going forward last week and lost.  We need to put the two together as I thought we were far more solid today.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 22, 2011, 05:04:29 pm by jonnydog »
I just hope the back 4 can be as consistant from here on in.

Like you say, if they can just gel the middle to the front and have more runners-in supporting it would be nice.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #7 on April 22, 2011, 05:06:37 pm by I-was-there1976 »
in 120 minutes Rovers have failed to score against a shite Palace team.

On the positve side they ve only conceded 1 goal

bellevuebulgar

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 22, 2011, 05:09:15 pm by bellevuebulgar »
It's not often I'm moved to post but there was a minority in the East stand that actually booed at the end of the match. What!!?? Morons. They get a free aftrenoon's entertainment, the boys put in a full shift, the effort was there and ok, we didn't get the three points but at least we didn't lose .... that's progress in my book and a big positive. We're supposed to be SUPPORTING our team, not soddin' booing 'em.
Please stay away, we don't need that kind of negativity. I'll bet JR wasn't booing.
And while I'm at it .... what's with old blokes carrying 5 or 6 free flags?? Not waving 'em, just bleedin nickin' 'em. Bloody cheapskates.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 22, 2011, 05:10:10 pm by DonnyNoel »
Good game for a 0-0. Very nervy first 20 minutes with both JOC and Stocky being given the run around. After that I think we showed character to get back on top and controlled large parts of the game without really creating many clear cut chances although Euell worked well to create a few half chances for himself. Providing Preston don't win tomorrow I think 48 will be enough.

Couple of below par performances today but on the whole a good display against a team who gave up as an attacking threat at half time aside from the odd foray. Great display from Friend, ditto Thomas and hats off to Woods for that save, I know it was close to him but he'd been inactive for a long period before it so showed good concentration to be ready.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 22, 2011, 05:11:35 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Very very lucky to not concede halfway through the second half in my opinion.

Then Coppinger put through to do atleast something in the last five minutes and proceeded to do.......absolutely nothing.

Come to expect what occured in the game today..,.nothing was much of a suprise, no better, or worse, than we have been in the proceeding weeks,

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 22, 2011, 05:15:07 pm by jonnydog »
Never heard any booing... thats shocking!! How dare they when they ain't even paid!!
I thought our atmosphere wsa excellent, and equalled the palace fans (even if they did start bouncing!!). I think we did well, nice to see and HOPEFULLY we may have inspired some new fans. I heard a few kids behind me asking their dad if they can come again  :)

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 22, 2011, 05:42:47 pm by Surrey Rover »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=152637
Didn't think we created as much as we can, we were far better going forward last week and lost.  We need to put the two together as I thought we were far more solid today.

..and that of course is why we lost at Hull by throwing caution to the wind but as SOD said last Saturday we are not going to out score teams so we have to keep our shape and make sure we don't concede. Three more 0-0 draws would keep us up and then we have the close season for the club to decide where we go from here.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 22, 2011, 06:17:41 pm by Viking Don »
Not a great game by any means, was expecting Speroni to be the star but that was a pretty easy afternoon's work for him. Woods only had one real save to make as well so exciting it certainly wasn't.

Friend MOtM by far, what a find he's turned out to be.

Another point closer to safety though, and considering they had by far the better chances to win it I'm happy with a point. I think we're safe already but I'd like us to get something on Monday.

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 22, 2011, 06:27:31 pm by Kenny_Senior »
A draw was the fairest result given how the game went.

I thought we started a bit sluggishly but by the end of the first half we'd had our best period of the game. Jimmy O'Connor was unlucky when he had a half chance that was smothered by Julian Speroni and, by and large, the Palace keeper had a pretty reasonable game.

Going forward we were a little bit one dimensional and just seemed to pump it up to Jason Euell a bit too often. We also seemed to be mentally a yard or two short of skill (i.e. when we had the ball and were in good positions, we sometimes struggled to take advantage of it). Other than that, the physical work effort, commitment and hunger and desire was there, so nobody can complain too much. The players performed and put in 100%, that's all that can be asked.

In the second half, again I thought it went through stages. Palace had a spell on top near the hour mark, but we seemed to have a spell after that and probably ended the game the stronger of the two sides. Neil Danns was as equally as unlucky as O'Connor was in the first half when he could only hit the post, so overall a draw was fair.

Out of the players, I thought Euell did okay overall. Franck Moussa was a bit disappointing and James Hayter did far better when he came on. John Oster was a bit in and out in the midfield, where Simon Gillett was probably our best midfielder. But on the whole George Friend was our man of the match and made some timely interceptions and won some vital balls.

If there was one negative that has risen from today then I would like to know how many corners/free-kicks/crosses we had around the Palace area, where we didn't do much with them. We probably lacked a bit of potency in the area.

VikingJames

« Reply #15 on April 22, 2011, 06:40:56 pm by VikingJames »
We played okay, but it's worrying that we created practically no clear cut chances from the many openings we fashioned. Palace didn't open us up very often, but when they did, they carved out a few excellent chances - Woods did brilliantly to tip Danns' effort on to the post, Iversen should've done better when he blasted over, and Ambrose's header kept GW on his toes.

For us? O'Connor buggered up when 1 on 1 with a poor first touch, Euell couldn't hit a barn door, and Copps decided to try beat his man ten times rather than shoot when put through by Oster. Plus, near enough every cross into the box had nobody on the end of it.

And not to mention the 11 corners we completely wasted. What was all that about from Shiels at the end? Jesus wept!

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 22, 2011, 06:51:25 pm by Akinfenwa »
Can't fault their effort but it wasn't a great performance nor was it a great result. The main positive was that the defence was fairly solid however Palace still had probably the two best chances of the match. Another was that Scunny didn't win. Now it looks like 46 points is going to have to be enough for us to stay up unless we manage a surprise result somewhere.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012