Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:19:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So, who left early today?  (Read 12607 times)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Re: So, who left early today?
« Reply #30 on December 13, 2015, 12:49:46 am by jonnydog »
It's all well and good saying don't leave before the end, we're only just getting used to a new era where the players don't leave before the end either!

Agree with that one.

I was that pissed off when they scored (mainly cos I could see it coming), that I got up and walked down the steps but just hung about on the walkway near the entrance to the concourse. I could see a spirit in the team I haven't seen for quite some time and felt that free kick going in before he stepped up, but to feel the whole place go up with Williams winner was amazing.

I never leave before 90, and will only leave before the whistle if we're 2 or 3 down and playing appallingly. Like BB says, prior to the Fergie era, the players would have quit when Crewe went 2-1 up, but the team spirit at the moment is fantastic.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 13, 2015, 01:07:58 am by eastender »

I don't in any way gloat at those Rovers fans who left at 1-2. I feel their pain, but I want to share my elation with them.

And I want to say 5 simple words to you all: Never leave before the end!

I left before the end just like 2000+ others did.
Everyone as a reason and a right to leave when they want with out the the self righteous preaching" your not a proper fan" and" it serves you right " bulls#it.
My reason, i'd just done an 8hr shift ,then went straight to the game on my bike in the rain. :cold:
So to see us concede in the last minute in a game in which we should have been out of sight, was enough for me. +

NG , please don't feel my pain, because i heard the noise when the equaliser went in from just out side the ground and had the pleasure of telling everyone i passed on my bike on the way up the road the good news ( people 200m from the ground never heard the cheers).
Then when i told a lad in the alley way leading to Hyde Park who also hadn't heard , he checked his phone to see who had scored for us ,only to tell me  that we had actually got a winner.(the smile on his face was worth missing the goals for it's self)
I wasn't bothered at all that i missed the goals , just glad that we'd won.  :woohoo: I got home sodden but happy :cold: , so i don't care what other fans , that think they are better than have to say.  :thumbdown:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 13, 2015, 01:09:40 am by RedJ »
In fairness he didn't say that leaving early made anyone a bad fan...

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on December 13, 2015, 01:25:50 am by eastender »

Sorry, my first paragraph wasn't aimed at NG in perticular  , but at the general feeling in this thread which is again trying to alienate and divide the fans which seems to be the norm on this forum.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 13, 2015, 08:57:23 am by Filo »

Sorry, my first paragraph wasn't aimed at NG in perticular  , but at the general feeling in this thread which is again trying to alienate and divide the fans which seems to be the norm on this forum.

I don't see it that way. I see the thread for what it is, a light hearted piss take

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 13, 2015, 09:09:32 am by IDM »

I don't in any way gloat at those Rovers fans who left at 1-2. I feel their pain, but I want to share my elation with them.

Everyone as a reason and a right to leave when they want with out the the self righteous preaching" your not a proper fan" and" it serves you right " bulls#it.
My reason, i'd just done an 8hr shift ,then went straight to the game on my bike in the rain. :cold:
So to see us concede in the last minute in a game in which we should have been out of sight, was enough for me. +

NG , please don't feel my pain, because i heard the noise when the equaliser went in from just out side the ground and had the pleasure of telling everyone i passed on my bike on the way up the road the good news ( people 200m from the ground never heard the cheers).
Then when i told a lad in the alley way leading to Hyde Park who also hadn't heard , he checked his phone to see who had scored for us ,only to tell me  that we had actually got a winner.(the smile on his face was worth missing the goals for it's self)
I wasn't bothered at all that i missed the goals , just glad that we'd won.  :woohoo: I got home sodden but happy :cold: , so i don't care what other fans , that think they are better than have to say.  :thumbdown:

I too think the gloating is light hearted.  I understand 100% that some folks have work to go to, or buses/trains to catch.

What I don't understand is when folks leave early by choice, rather than when they have to.  Especially when the scores are level or only one goal in it.  How many games in a season have a late goal, and a wonder goal at that - think of Cotterill Colchester, Stock vs 'Boro and even Curtis Main did one last season.  Not forgetting Brentford too.

I'm not calling anyone a bad fan - I just don't  understand it.

As you say, we should have been out of sight by then, so, that's why I think we deserved the win after all.  But I paid to watch the whole match!

It's the same at half time - I am not so desperate for food and drink that I would risk missing part of the game.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 13, 2015, 09:14:51 am by Filo »
I have work to go to, I leave the house at 5.40pm, I live in Stainy and I manage to see every minute of the game, get home and have my tea, get changed and have 5 minutes on here before I leave for work, it's al about being organised 😝

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 13, 2015, 09:19:17 am by idler »
Having watched for over 50 years while late goals are the exception this makes them very special. I wasn't at Brentford but saw the winners at Stevenage and Bournemouth that season. I've seen in us do it a few times over the years. I have an hours drive home which always seems longer and is far quieter when we lose so I always hang on to the end wishing and hoping. I've no issue with fans leaving early if they want but sometimes it's like a dam bursting which must look bad to the players. My brother always used to leave about five minutes from the end for a smoke. He missed loads of late goals. Mind you they weren't always in the right end.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 13, 2015, 09:20:08 am by The Red Baron »
The row in front of me in the West practically emptied when they scored. I think most of them would have missed both our goals.

I got up and made my way to the back and saw our goals leaning up against the wall. I've only left the Keepmoat before the end twice and both times I've missed Rovers goals, though neither affected the result. I just think it's not worth taking the risk of leaving early unless we're down by more than two goals.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 13, 2015, 09:32:30 am by IDM »
. I just think it's not worth taking the risk of leaving early unless we're down by more than two goals.

But even at 0-4 down a consolation goal may be the goal of the season...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 13, 2015, 09:42:21 am by Bentley Bullet »
The only times I've left early in the past have been enforced because of having to get to work on time when on nights. On many of those occasions I've heard Rovers score while walking to the car. The conclusion is that a lifetime of being on the wrong side of Sod's Law means that my bad luck sometimes gives the team some good luck!

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 13, 2015, 09:44:03 am by auckleyflyer »
My son was there, I wasn't! NT shift and 4other kids to make dinner for before 6pm.
Saw crew goal on final score "bugger" then heard the crowd!!! Were just off stoops lane bessy! Sure enough it came thru on tv. Was dancing around kitchen one min later!
Lets all just be happy with result! Wish id have seen any of the goals, inc crew's!!
That 6th place is ours!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 13, 2015, 09:46:33 am by Donnywolf »
Good ... cos then I can collect my 5/1 for a top half finish AND have a chance of my £1 @ 150 to 1 for Promo to come through

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 13, 2015, 11:54:26 am by ravenrover »

I too think the gloating is light hearted.  I understand 100% that some folks have work to go to, or buses/trains to catch.

What I don't understand is when folks leave early by choice, rather than when they have to.  Especially when the scores are level or only one goal in it.  How many games in a season have a late goal, and a wonder goal at that - think of Cotterill Colchester, Stock vs 'Boro and even Curtis Main did one last season.  Not forgetting Brentford too.

I'm not calling anyone a bad fan - I just don't  understand it.

As you say, we should have been out of sight by then, so, that's why I think we deserved the win after all.  But I paid to watch the whole match!

It's the same at half time - I am not so desperate for food and drink that I would risk missing part of the game.
You couldn't have left early at Brentford even if you had wanted to - we were locked in  :woohoo:

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 13, 2015, 12:20:27 pm by 1879Rovers »
Never understood it, never will so really good when something like yesterday happens.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 13, 2015, 03:23:17 pm by drfchound »
It would be interesting to know if there are many stats on how many goals are scored in the last few minutes of games.
In my view it would be quite high.
Tiredness and desperation all play a part but my mind tells me there are often late goals.

PS: I also think the OP is a lighthearted mickey take.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 13, 2015, 06:49:48 pm by 1879Rovers »
I see someone picked up a bet worth £20,000 for a 15p bet. Including Crewe v Doncaster, he did four games where both teams would score in both halves.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 13, 2015, 07:14:40 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I did I had to catch a train to Sheffield unfortunately.

neil grainger

« Reply #48 on December 13, 2015, 07:51:35 pm by neil grainger »

I don't think anyone's gloating, all a bit of fun.

I remember years ago we had the opposite problem..... If you arrived 2 minutes late at Belle Vue you were guaranteed to miss a Pete Kitchen goal!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on December 13, 2015, 08:43:37 pm by idler »
At least you can now see the goals later on tv or player Padge.
Years ago you'd just have had the paper or mates describing them.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 13, 2015, 08:44:55 pm by Donnywolf »
At least you can now see the goals later on tv or player Padge.
Years ago you'd just have had the paper or mates describing them.

.... aye like the 10 I missed v Darlo (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on December 13, 2015, 08:56:57 pm by idler »
I can still describe a couple of them Wolfie.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 13, 2015, 09:01:26 pm by Donnywolf »
I can still describe a couple of them Wolfie.

Take it away ..... I have never known anything about any of them except I missed the lot !

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on December 13, 2015, 09:44:48 pm by idler »
I remember that they had signed a winger from Scotland called George McGeachie who put two chances over the bar at the Rosso end in the first five minutes.
We went 3 0 up by 15 mins. They had a young lad in goal called John Hope who later played for the blunts.
Keith Ripley scored a cracker as usual with his shooting and on the stroke of half time I think it was Alfie Hale scored his third with a shot that trickled in through the goalies dive.
We scored another four in the second half, another for Hale, another one for Ripley. Yogi got one and Denis Windross who I think was playing centre half by then.
I just wish that it was filmed as the memory gets worse over time even with games like this. I'm sure that somebody posted a copy of the match report on a thread probably last year.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on December 13, 2015, 09:57:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Idler, serious question....When you think back to games around that time when newspaper cuttings and even TV's were in Black and White, Is your memory also in Black and White?

Mine is! Do you think that's normal or am I crackers?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on December 13, 2015, 10:32:21 pm by idler »
That's a very good question BB. I think it's easier to remember in black and white. You can remember things but once you start trying to tie colours in it gets cloudy. I know Darlington were in their usual white shirts and black shorts. I think that our red shirts had the big white circular line a few inches below the collar. I remember a swarthy Colin Booth and Alfie Hale being blonde but adding colours seems to make it harder to focus.
Mind you life was a lot drabber then wasn't it?

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on December 13, 2015, 10:36:54 pm by scaley back rover »
I missed the 2nd as my lad decided he couldn't wait the 3 mins for the toilet. Got back for the third though. As said previously the keepmoat was in a state of deleruim not often witnessed. I did say though on my sons impromptu toilet break that we had only outselves to blame for loosing. Proves how much I know and being a Rovers fan fir so long I should know better lol

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on December 13, 2015, 10:42:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Idler,

Yes It was a lot drabber mate! I wondered if the black and white mind's eye was because of a tendency to reflect on the newspaper pictures of the games, leaving a more lasting impression on the mind because they provided the last images of the games?

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on December 14, 2015, 08:03:35 am by LincsRover »
My mum always leaves a couple of minutes before the end as she can't walk very well nowadays and she likes to get a seat near the front on the kettlewells bus back to Rosso. I have only ever left early once - the 0-6 vs Ipswich 3-4yrs back - but I was so p*ssed off when they scored their 2nd I had a hissy fit and said I'd join her when she got up to leave. I walked her to the concourse but then calmed down and told her I was going to watch the end "just in case, as I'd hate to miss an equaliser". One of my better decisions I have to say, I would have been gutted if I'd left!

:cool:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on December 14, 2015, 09:26:58 am by Donnywolf »
Could have been worse.

I remember a couple of Wimbledon Fans who left a Cup game 5 minutes early as they had a long journey and the game was over cos they were 2-0 down. Well, they equalised and then they went into extra time ad Penalties and Wimbledon won the shoot out 10-9 so they missed 21 goals

I heard them interviewed on BBC Radio the day after their story came to light

I did once leave Preston when we were only 1 down cos I was frozen stiff but even though I was as disappointed as the next man when Crewe went 1-2 there was no way I was going anywhere on Saturday !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012