Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:36:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Social media  (Read 1763 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Social media
« on March 25, 2019, 09:02:09 am by wing commander »
    Reading some of the posts on social media this weekend I've been genuinely shocked at the level of abuse the team and GM have recieved..Now I know it was very poor but that's the first hiding I can remember for a long time for Rovers and sometimes that's football everybody gets one every now and then..

However for me as bad as it was,some of the fans have put in a worse performance than the team this weekend.I've seen character assinations of every single player,calls for GM to be sacked,play offs written off,and the normal moaning about the boards player investment...

Right now we are in a bad run,but from this point on our fixtures are more favourable than anybody around us and we've got more home games to play than away.It's still all to play for..

So what the team need is support and for the fans to get behind them not the absolute rubbish that's appeared this weekend..People need to remember that this team was tipped by everyone including a lot on social media to be relegated..Quickly forgotten it would seem..

Come May if we've missed out,it's these fans that will be every bit as culpable as the team with the defeatist attitude..We can still do this  :rtid: :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Social media
« Reply #1 on March 25, 2019, 09:12:17 am by bobjimwilly »
here here!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 25, 2019, 09:15:43 am by NickDRFC »
It's just the modern way unfortunately. Someone once said if you give infinite monkeys infinite typewriters they will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. With social media you have enough idiots with enough access to the internet and as a result you get plenty of unwarranted, unqualified, uncensored shite.

Completely agree re: the need for support. The team is obviously struggling for form and confidence; I'd hope that the players and management are either strong enough to withstand social media criticism or wise enough to avoid altogether, but any negativity at the Keepmoat is only going to be detrimental to performances.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 25, 2019, 09:22:16 am by Draytonian III »
Keyboard warriors, haven’t got the bollox to say things face to face

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 25, 2019, 09:36:39 am by Donnywolf »
All fans collectively grumble - gasp - call it what you will when things go wrong in a game - a misplaced pass at a vital stage in an attack for instance and thats natural. Every Teams fans do it

However that is not the same as mass murder media that pervades the Internet. As Rovers Fans we should be supporting the individual Players the Team the Coaches/ Manager and The Club

Brian Makepeace Rovers player from the past once said in an interview on the Keepmoat pitch - nobody goes on the Pitch to deliberately have a poor game - and we could do with remembering that when tempted to get stuck into whoever the latest "boo boy" is.

With Social Media though it is just too easy to "slag" a Player of Player(s) off and as WC says we are Fans or more correctly Supporters of the Rovers and we need to support.

If there are Players who are not up to the job then surely the Manager (who wont be in Management to do a bad job either) is tasked to see that and move them on. If he does not and results are consistently poor then he too (whoever he is) will be moved on.

We have to be realistic - this is Tier 3 - and we should not expect to be watching / expecting Premiership players to grace the Keepmoat - potential ones yes, that would be a bonus - and I for one have to remember that and others should too

COYR  :scarf:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 25, 2019, 10:12:21 am by RoversAlias »
Everything is either amazing or terrible in this age of social media, it seems. I don't pay much mind to what people say on Twitter and Facebook, in general. We all have emotional reactions too and when once, we'd all get our grumble out on the walk home from the ground, now we can publish it online for all to see.

Hopefully the support will be there tomorrow night to will the boys on to turn this slump around.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 25, 2019, 10:31:09 am by Donnywolf »
Agree - and I was stunned to hear people at Luton describe them a s**t. Also in a false position said one Rovers fan

I thought - I am sure they have done 27 games in a row without losing - and I had already counted them beating us as they were 2-0 up and cruising.

Another said they are "crap - s**t in fact, before saying we are 10 times sh*****r of course - but god they are bad"

I try to be objective and they were probably the best Team I have seen in this Division this Season but have only done 8 or so Away Games

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 25, 2019, 10:37:31 am by Bentley Bullet »
Football fans have always been fickle with their affections towards their team, but that doesn't mean they don't remain loyal. Everyone who posts regularly on forums, even those who express negativity, are nevertheless still loyal to their team if they still attend.

It has always been the case that supporters have appreciated/castigated their team's performance on the way home from a game, and reiterated their opinions in the pub later.  Nowadays though our opinions are also expressed on the internet.

From a personal point of view, I have praised/criticised Rovers performances on this forum, and I don't see what the point of the forum is other than that. That doesn't mean that I don't give total support during games, and any personal negative comments about team/individual performances are kept at a local volume and aren't intended to reach the player's ears.

I think what makes internet discussions of any sort annoying is that people who think they know what they're talking about don't leave it to those of us that actually do!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 25, 2019, 10:47:28 am by wing commander »
If you are going to get a thrashing,i would prefer it to be against the stand out team in the division rather than a mid table team..To be fair to the moaning at the game I can understand that..You've paid a lot of money,more than likely had a few sherberts and when you don't even compete then your going to moan.

it's the social media fan sat at home who goes on a rant and crusade about how crap we are based on sky sports,with posts they want GM sacking,followed by loads off the standard bottle jobs,how crap he is and how we cant make the play offs etc etc..

It's these fans that need to grow a pair and stop their schoolboy whining and research what supporting a team is about,it's not just when things are going great but when things are tough..

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 25, 2019, 12:04:26 pm by deebee »
I guess we will see how good this team is in the next four games ALL of which we MUST win to stand any chance of being in 6th place come the end of the season. All on paper are winnable, unfortunately, we do not play on paper. It is our duty as fans to help our team achieve these wins and we will not do it by slagging them off. If we are to get there then we ALL need to support the lads and get them over the line.
 Remember we only fail when we stop trying.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 25, 2019, 01:41:40 pm by idler »
I've found over the years that a lot of those that shout and brag the most when we are doing well are the same ones that cry and moan the most when we slip.
We can all be frustrated with the team or results but abusing the players and whining solves nothing. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism and debate but put the point across sensibly and you will not only get more respect you might also get people to change their mind.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 25, 2019, 02:01:40 pm by ravenrover »
If you are going to get a thrashing,i would prefer it to be against the stand out team in the division rather than a mid table team..To be fair to the moaning at the game I can understand that..You've paid a lot of money,more than likely had a few sherberts and when you don't even compete then your going to moan.

it's the social media fan sat at home who goes on a rant and crusade about how crap we are based on sky sports,with posts they want GM sacking,followed by loads off the standard bottle jobs,how crap he is and how we cant make the play offs etc etc..

It's these fans that need to grow a pair and stop their schoolboy whining and research what supporting a team is about,it's not just when things are going great but when things are tough..

So it is better to lose 4-0 to Luton than 0-4 to Fleetwood?
It is in my book, didn't expect to win, or get thrashed, by Luton but neither did I expect to get beat 0-4 by Fleetwood that was far worse in my opinion

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 25, 2019, 02:31:30 pm by since-1969 »
The warnings were there that we had the we fall asleep and not do the basics  when going behind . Shrewsbury, Coventry, Fleetwood Luton all games where we should have produced under par and paid the price. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 25, 2019, 05:59:51 pm by drfchound »

So it is better to lose 4-0 to Luton than 0-4 to Fleetwood?
It is in my book, didn't expect to win, or get thrashed, by Luton but neither did I expect to get beat 0-4 by Fleetwood that was far worse in my opinion

Agreed it felt bad to lose 4-0 to Fleetwood.
We did get stuffed scorewise but in the game itself it was not a thrashing.
It could quite easily have been four all.

Against Luton we did actually get a thrashing, scorewise and everything else wise.
It could have been six or seven or maybe even more.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012