Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:59:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 81149 times)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #1140 on April 28, 2021, 04:22:48 pm by MachoMadness »
I've been a big critic but Starmer was superb at PMQs today. He got Johnson to deny the "let the bodies pile high" comment, then reminded him that lying to the house is a resignation matter. He clearly knows something we don't, or has a hell of a poker face. Attacking the Tories on stuff like this is a bit of an open goal, true, and needs to be combined with an actual positive vision for Britain which has been lacking for now, but he really exposed Johnson as a shifty liar today.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1141 on April 28, 2021, 04:23:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'll ask again. Do you agree that Johnson is qualitatively different, in being a lifelong habitual liar, outed as such way before the era of social media? That's the key point.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1142 on April 28, 2021, 04:26:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Starmer gave the impression that there is evidence to come of Johnson's "bodies piled high" comment. He has him on record at the dispatch box denying that he said that. If Cummings DOES have a recording, that is the end of Johnson.

Whether there is a recording or not, Starmer's closing comment "We'll see. There is a lot more to come" is likely to be causing some panic in Johnson's team.

It was a masterly performance.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1143 on April 28, 2021, 04:44:33 pm by belton rover »
I'll ask again. Do you agree that Johnson is qualitatively different, in being a lifelong habitual liar, outed as such way before the era of social media? That's the key point.
You haven’t asked me that question before Billy, so I don’t know why you are ‘asking me again’.
All you’ve said is that he was sacked twice for lying before he became Prime Minister.
Does lying twice make someone a habitual, lifelong liar? Absolutely not.
That doesn’t mean he isn’t one, mind.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1144 on April 28, 2021, 04:49:08 pm by belton rover »
You could argue that Starmer’s speech was masterly, but not his performance. He trips over his tongue and corrects himself like someone who has no confidence in what he is saying.
He’s a poor orator, and that will cost him votes.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1145 on April 28, 2021, 04:49:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Starmer gave the impression that there is evidence to come of Johnson's "bodies piled high" comment. He has him on record at the dispatch box denying that he said that. If Cummings DOES have a recording, that is the end of Johnson.

Whether there is a recording or not, Starmer's closing comment "We'll see. There is a lot more to come" is likely to be causing some panic in Johnson's team.

It was a masterly performance.

Do you mean a masterly performance in the true sense of the word or in your own world like Rovers' performance at Lincoln last January?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1146 on April 28, 2021, 05:12:33 pm by River Don »
Caught on camera, Carrie Symonds shopping for the no 10 flat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUnvgKhWZdI

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1147 on April 28, 2021, 05:33:10 pm by wilts rover »
Thanks for the back handed compliment wilts, though I’m not sure that’s what it was. You are right, of course, about social media giving more people access. That in itself accentuates whatever claim is being made.

But, that’s different to my point, which I still stand by. If anyone thinks it wasn’t easier to lie, and get away with it, before social media, then they are completely deluded. That applies to the PM and to any body else.

I would say it was an acknowledgement as much as a complement that the premise of your argument, social media has changed the landscape, is very peritent and valid.

I think the biggest change is that is has taken away the 'cosiness' between the media, public figurres, politicians whereas you are arguing something slightly different.

Doesn't mean either of us are righter or wronger than the other, nor does it matter, but clearly we both think social media has had a major impact on how the public read - and now for the first time create their own 'news'. I can't think anyone would disagree. Is this a good or a bad thing? Wellll....

There is a reason Johnson's Downing Street created their own Social Media Unit (led by Chloe Wesley from the TA).

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1148 on April 28, 2021, 05:38:43 pm by drfchound »
Thanks for the back handed compliment wilts, though I’m not sure that’s what it was. You are right, of course, about social media giving more people access. That in itself accentuates whatever claim is being made.

But, that’s different to my point, which I still stand by. If anyone thinks it wasn’t easier to lie, and get away with it, before social media, then they are completely deluded. That applies to the PM and to any body else.

I would say it was an acknowledgement as much as a complement that the premise of your argument, social media has changed the landscape, is very peritent and valid.

I think the biggest change is that is has taken away the 'cosiness' between the media, public figurres, politicians whereas you are arguing something slightly different.

Doesn't mean either of us are righter or wronger than the other, nor does it matter, but clearly we both think social media has had a major impact on how the public read - and now for the first time create their own 'news'. I can't think anyone would disagree. Is this a good or a bad thing? Wellll....

There is a reason Johnson's Downing Street created their own Social Media Unit (led by Chloe Wesley from the TA).

Common sense prevails.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #1149 on April 28, 2021, 05:47:35 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
You could argue that Starmer’s speech was masterly, but not his performance. He trips over his tongue and corrects himself like someone who has no confidence in what he is saying.

I’m old enough to remember when Michael Foot was leader of the Labour Party. You’d struggle to find any better parliamentary orator than him and yet he took the party to one of its worst ever election defeats.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1150 on April 28, 2021, 05:59:18 pm by belton rover »
I completely agree, Herbert. Though it’s no good speaking like Winston when you’re dressed like Wurzel.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #1151 on April 28, 2021, 06:03:09 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I completely agree, Herbert. Though it’s no good speaking like Winston when you’re dressed like Wurzel.

Aye, that’s true. I don’t think the anorak at the cenotaph helped much.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1152 on April 28, 2021, 06:06:14 pm by selby »
  Boris hit on Stabbers weakness when asking him to name the informants, stopped him dead.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1153 on April 28, 2021, 06:10:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Don't knock Michael Foot, he was a leg end.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1154 on April 28, 2021, 07:02:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I see Arlene Foster is the latest person to fall foul of Johnson's lies.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1155 on April 28, 2021, 07:52:21 pm by tyke1962 »
Starmer was in his element today and given his legal background so he should be .

Starmer was the prosecuting lawyer with Johnson in the dock fighting for his liberty .

All well and good .

Unfortunately it's about presenting to the electorate as opposition leader that you have the  vision and policies to form the next government .

A busman's holiday once a week in the house is one thing but winning a GE is quite another .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1156 on April 28, 2021, 07:52:48 pm by Filo »
  Boris hit on Stabbers weakness when asking him to name the informants, stopped him dead.

Just keeping his powder dry, timing is everything

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1157 on April 28, 2021, 08:06:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Didn't seem to harm Joe Biden.

Mind you, he was running against someone incompetent, corrupt and divisive...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1158 on April 28, 2021, 09:40:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And a well known liar Glyn. You missed that bit.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1159 on April 28, 2021, 09:59:25 pm by belton rover »
That’s it then. Starmer can’t possibly lose the next election. Can he?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1160 on April 28, 2021, 10:06:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Losing an election is easy, anybody can do it.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #1161 on April 28, 2021, 11:02:50 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Starmer was in his element today and given his legal background so he should be .

Starmer was the prosecuting lawyer with Johnson in the dock fighting for his liberty .

All well and good .

Unfortunately it's about presenting to the electorate as opposition leader that you have the  vision and policies to form the next government .

A busman's holiday once a week in the house is one thing but winning a GE is quite another .

True. However is now the right time to be launching visions and policies to win a General Election that’s almost 4 years away? Nobody is interested in a vote winning housing policy for example, with everyone’s focus on covid. I think it’s better for Labour to keep their powder dry for now.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1162 on April 28, 2021, 11:20:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It's alright keeping your powder dry if you've got something to ignite it with, otherwise there's no point.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1163 on April 28, 2021, 11:23:11 pm by SydneyRover »
Major Sleaze, not a bad moniker from Starmer.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1164 on April 28, 2021, 11:30:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Major Sleaze, not a bad moniker from Starmer.

well yes, he does seem to thrive on it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1165 on April 28, 2021, 11:32:33 pm by SydneyRover »
I thought johnson sounded very familiar in question time, have you been coaching him bb?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1166 on April 28, 2021, 11:34:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I have been known to give him a bit of advice on how to address numpties.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1167 on April 28, 2021, 11:39:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

All well and good .

True. However is now the right time to be launching visions and policies to win a General Election that’s almost 4 years away? Nobody is interested in a vote winning housing policy for example, with everyone’s focus on covid. I think it’s better for Labour to keep their powder dry for now.

Absolutely. Oldest truism in politics. Oppositions don't win elections. Governments lose them.

Thatcher didn't win in 1979 because she proclaimed that she was going to double VAT and interest rates and triple unemployment. Callaghan lost the election because of the Winter of Discontent.

Cameron wasn't screaming out for Austerity 4 years before the 2010 election. Labour lost in 2010 because they were blamed for the Great Recession.

Setting out detailed policies in opposition 4 years before an election is a mug's game.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1168 on April 28, 2021, 11:45:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
There's never been more of a case for that now, especially when we haven't got an opposition party with any policies whatsoever.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1169 on April 28, 2021, 11:45:47 pm by SydneyRover »
I have been known to give him a bit of advice on how to address numpties.

It's strange then that he fell straight into the bear trap

TinyPortal © 2005-2012