Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:50:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 81157 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #450 on May 15, 2020, 09:07:55 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The huge first order thing for me has been to look at who, in world politics, wants us out of the EU.

Only two people.

Trump
Putin

Join the dots and ask yourself why.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #451 on May 15, 2020, 09:11:16 am by SydneyRover »
There is of course all those other countries that would give an arm to be in the EU.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #452 on May 15, 2020, 10:15:55 am by Copps is Magic »
Well, having lived in Portugal (a bit) and The Netherlands I can comment on those two countries. In Portugal, the EU is one of the reasons democracy was introduced back into the country at the end of the Estado Novo authoritarian regime. Economically, I am told Portugal used to be almost a basket case, unrecognisable from what it is today (which is my only reference point). Alot of that economic turn around was directly becasue of the EU membership and funding.

The Netherlands has (I believe) gone from a net reciever of EU funding to a net provider. They followed brexit closely and every single person I spoke to agreed it was a car-crash and 'put them off' even contemplating it. There is still a massive pan-european ethos among employers nd businesses here, and the people infact. In terms of the working class, well that's a complex one but generally its a much more homogeneous society with, I would say, generally better living conditions than the UK.

I did search on google, out of interest, to see what public opinion was. And this was the first article that came up. Support for the EU highest in....... Portugal, The Netherlands and Ireland. GO figure.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-eu-survey-italy-ireland-portugal-eurosceptic-poll-a8888126.html

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #453 on May 15, 2020, 10:28:09 am by SydneyRover »
Not wanting to start a flame war but maybe some of our brexiteers would like to explain.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #454 on May 15, 2020, 10:32:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
CiM

Your first sentence trumps EVERY anti-EU argument I've ever heard. I've made this point many times and never had a coherent response from anyone who is against the EU. I'll make it again here.

In living memory, before joining the EU there were civil wars in:

Spain
Croatia
Slovenia
UK
Ireland

There were military dictatorships in:
Spain
Portugal
Greece
Bulgaria
Croatia
Slovenia
Austria
Romania
Portugal
Czechia
Slovakia
Hungary
Estonia
Lithuania
Latvia
Germany
France
Italy

The following countries were invaded by land or attacked by air by other nations.

UK
Greece
Bulgaria
Croatia
Slovenia
Austria
Romania
Portugal
Czechia
Slovakia
Hungary
Estonia
Lithuania
Latvia
Germany
France
Italy
Denmark
Finland
Netherlands
Luxembourg
Belgium

Every single one of those countries has enjoyed unbroken democracy since joining the EU. Not a single one has had an invasion or a civil war start.

It is simply madness to undermine the structure that has played such a role in securing this unprecedented era of European stability. And anyone who rubs their hands at the EU being weakened has no comprehension whatsoever of the massive dangers that history warns us of.

Like I say, over and over again, why do you think Putin wants the EU weakened?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #455 on May 15, 2020, 01:16:31 pm by selby »
  How well is Stabber Starmer doing?  The Conservatives have increased their popularity and the Labour Party have polled lower than when led by poor old Corbyn.
   Poor old Stabber.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #456 on May 15, 2020, 01:21:52 pm by IDM »
  How well is Stabber Starmer doing?  The Conservatives have increased their popularity and the Labour Party have polled lower than when led by poor old Corbyn.
   Poor old Stabber.

Polled lower where.

If you’re going to make that claim, please post a link.?

At least explain why you conclude that.?

When others post about Johnson and the government lying, there is some evidence posted to back it up.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:53:39 pm by IDM »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #457 on May 15, 2020, 01:35:06 pm by Pancho Regan »
  How well is Stabber Starmer doing?
   Poor old Stabber.

This is starting to sound quite childish selby.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #458 on May 15, 2020, 02:14:47 pm by Not Now Kato »
  How well is Stabber Starmer doing?
   Poor old Stabber.

This is starting to sound quite childish selby.

It's another right wing sound-bite, designed to appeal to the unimaginative.  It appears to have worked in selby's case.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #459 on May 15, 2020, 02:43:49 pm by Jonathan »
It’s about the level of intellect you’d expect.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #460 on May 15, 2020, 03:33:44 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It’s about the level of intellect you’d expect.

And completely ignores the number of times his hero Boris repeatedly plunged a dagger up to the hilt into May's back. In public.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #461 on May 15, 2020, 03:43:26 pm by wilts rover »
   Poor old Stabber.

That's not what this poll from Wednesday says.

But don't let facts get in the way...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-boris-johnson-approval-rating-yougov-opinion-poll-survey-a9511611.html

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #462 on May 15, 2020, 06:43:11 pm by foxbat »
obviously the Poll selby was referring to was one taken of people coming out of conservative central office.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #463 on May 15, 2020, 07:31:52 pm by Filo »
obviously the Poll selby was referring to was one taken of people coming out of conservative central office.

With their 3 testing kits in hand

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #464 on May 17, 2020, 11:42:02 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Interesting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1261765197737361408

The Tory attack dogs are getting their teeth stuck in much earlier than I'd have thought.

This one is devastating. It appears that, through Watergate-standard investigative research, they have found out that Kier Starmer own a field.

Well that's him f**ked then.

Regarding the value of the field, I'm chuffed to bits now because my 30 foot long back garden is presumably worth up to several billion quid if the law is changed to make my garden worth several billion quid.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #465 on May 17, 2020, 11:52:27 am by SydneyRover »
'Led By Donkeys' fits the bill for that one.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #466 on May 17, 2020, 11:55:01 am by Not Now Kato »
Why on earth do people read newspapers, (I use that word very loosely), like that.  Do they actually get turned on by lies and misinformation?  I can't see any other reason!  The Brain Dead of Britain get exactly what they deserve!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #467 on May 17, 2020, 12:31:59 pm by MachoMadness »
He owns a field which he bought for his elderly parents to fulfil their dreams of rescuing donkeys, what a bas**rd.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #468 on May 17, 2020, 12:53:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I was directed to that piece in the Mail by Simon Wren-Lewis. He's been musing on how, over the last decade, parts of the right wing press (and it IS only on the right) have moved from have a political affiliation which colurs their stories (ALL newspapers do that) to out and out direct propaganda.

This is a perfect example. It is a non-story with a headline screaming a line that is pretty much totally fabricated.

It's from the same paper that ran that piece on how Ed Milliband's father, a left wing academic "hated Britain." Of course there was zero evidence for that. What Ralph Milliband railed against was the obscene imbalances of wealth and power in Britain. He loved Britain itself. And the piece of course glossed over the fact that Ralph Milliband had in the 1940s, as an immigrant, enlisted in the Royal Navy and fought for Britain against the very regime that the Kitsons who owned the Mail had supported throughout the 1930s.

But it works. People read that sort of dogshit and repeat it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:02:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #469 on May 17, 2020, 01:19:29 pm by wilts rover »
Love this series of tweets by David Osland:

Why do Tories love grouse moors but hate donkey sanctuaries? Could this have anything to do with the fact that you don't get to shoot the donkeys?

Corbyn had an allotment, Starmer owns ten acres of Surrey. Like it or not, Labour is now the party of the landed interests.

Never forget that in 1649, Gerrard Winstanley and the Diggers began to cultivate the fields of Surrey. That Sir Keir Starmer QC upholds their spirit nearly four centuries later is immensely to his credit.

https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1261991983192694789

I mean really. Who looks stupid here, Keir Starmer or the Daily Heil for uncovering that the worst thing he has done in his life is buy a field for his mum to keep donkeys!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #470 on May 17, 2020, 02:28:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #471 on May 17, 2020, 03:09:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Interesting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1261765197737361408

The Tory attack dogs are getting their teeth stuck in much earlier than I'd have thought.

This one is devastating. It appears that, through Watergate-standard investigative research, they have found out that Kier Starmer own a field.

Well that's him f**ked then.

Regarding the value of the field, I'm chuffed to bits now because my 30 foot long back garden is presumably worth up to several billion quid if the law is changed to make my garden worth several billion quid.

Apparently some random bloke has said that if a copy of today's Mail On Sunday just happened to be printed on a copy of the Magna Carta , it would potentially also be worth £10mill.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #472 on May 17, 2020, 03:28:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I saw someone else say they have a lottery ticket which is worth up to £50,000,000. I wonder why the Mail isn't reporting THAT?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #473 on May 17, 2020, 03:29:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I saw someone else say they have a lottery ticket which is worth up to £50,000,000. I wonder why the Mail isn't reporting THAT?

They would if they knew Starmer had one as well. Just imagine the 'fury' they could pretend was happening if he had more than one!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #474 on May 17, 2020, 03:32:04 pm by Filo »
I’m a working class home owner, maybe I’m above my station and should be in a Council House instead

No disrespect to Council House tenants intended*

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #475 on May 17, 2020, 03:33:34 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I’m a working class home owner, maybe I’m above my station and should be in a Council House instead

Then the Mail would say that because there's such a shortage of Council Houses, they're 'potentially' worth millions!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #476 on May 17, 2020, 03:34:13 pm by wilts rover »
Did you know that the owner of the Heil & Heil on Sunday, Viscount Rothermere, owns 4700 acres of land in Wiltshire & Dorset. Some of it held by companies based in off-shore tax havens.

No statistics are available as to how many donkeys the Viscount keeps on this land:

https://twitter.com/guyshrubsole/status/1261958909755080704

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #477 on May 17, 2020, 03:41:18 pm by Ldr »

No you are the realisation of a thatcherite dream

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #478 on May 17, 2020, 03:42:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Only if the house he owns used to be a council house.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #479 on May 17, 2020, 03:42:45 pm by Ldr »

Only if the house he owns used to be a council house.

Fair point

TinyPortal © 2005-2012