Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:03:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 81156 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #480 on May 17, 2020, 03:49:15 pm by Filo »
I’m a working class home owner, maybe I’m above my station and should be in a Council House instead

No disrespect to Council House tenants intended*

No you are the realisation of a thatcherite dream

It’s already been said, but I’ve clicked reply now, my house has never been a Council House, I also like bacon sandwiches, but don’t let the Mail know 🤪🤪🤪

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #481 on May 17, 2020, 04:00:01 pm by SydneyRover »
There's a rumour going around that KS is going to offer agistment to johnson's ministry  :)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #482 on May 18, 2020, 03:25:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
  How well is Stabber Starmer doing?  The Conservatives have increased their popularity and the Labour Party have polled lower than when led by poor old Corbyn.
   Poor old Stabber.

Latest polling numbers.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1262378323105263629

In comparison, at March-April time it was around 54-28. Starmers cut down the gap by 14. All aboard the Starmer Express.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #483 on May 18, 2020, 03:41:43 pm by bpoolrover »
  How well is Stabber Starmer doing?  The Conservatives have increased their popularity and the Labour Party have polled lower than when led by poor old Corbyn.
   Poor old Stabber.

Latest polling numbers.

In comparison, at March-April time it was around 54-28. Starmers cut down the gap by 14. All aboard the Starmer Express.
just have to wait 5 years to have another vote

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #484 on May 18, 2020, 04:50:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »
   Poor old Stabber.

Latest polling numbers.

Less than 4 years.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #485 on May 18, 2020, 08:36:56 pm by scawsby steve »
   Poor old Stabber.

Latest polling numbers.

Less than 4 years.

If Parliament runs the full 5 years, it's 4 years 7 months.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #486 on May 18, 2020, 09:04:03 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
   Poor old Stabber.

Latest polling numbers.

Less than 4 years.

Plenty of time for loads more incompetence followed by the transparent tissue of lies that ensue, and also plenty of time for the inevitable simmering resentment of the electorate to come to the boil.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #487 on May 18, 2020, 09:06:53 pm by bpoolrover »
   Poor old Stabber.

Latest polling numbers.

Less than 4 years.

Plenty of time for loads more incompetence followed by the transparent tissue of lies that ensue, and also plenty of time for the inevitable simmering resentment of the electorate to come to the boil.
you might be right but people were saying that before the last election and the one before that

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #488 on May 18, 2020, 09:12:09 pm by IDM »
So you think the government and the PM has done well, since the election.?

The coronavirus outbreak would have been difficult for any government - but I would rather see a PM make strong decisions, even if proven later to be wrong, but on the basis of honesty.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #489 on May 18, 2020, 09:28:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
   Poor old Stabber.

Latest polling numbers.

Less than 4 years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-when-next-uk-date-after-2019-fixed-term-parliament-snap-vote-explained-1338779%3famp

2nd May 2024.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #490 on May 18, 2020, 09:28:45 pm by scawsby steve »
   Poor old Stabber.

Latest polling numbers.

Less than 4 years.

What can the electorate do? There can't be a vote of no confidence to bring about a snap election, because the Tories have an 80 seat majority.

Nothing's going to happen until 2024.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #491 on May 19, 2020, 09:23:22 am by Copps is Magic »
It seems to me Rishi Sunak is a shoe-in for next Tory leader. Did some good things with the recovery package, appeals to the tory faux-modern image. It will be after Bojo's next major bluster.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #492 on May 19, 2020, 10:10:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Says something though doesn't it.

Sunak correctly implements textbook economic policy as Chancellor and suddenly he's elevated to Next Great Hope of the Tory party.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #493 on May 19, 2020, 10:21:13 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Sunak correctly implements textbook economic policy as Chancellor and suddenly he's elevated to Next Great Hope of the Tory party.

Considering the people he's in the midst of, I believe that they're right to think that. No-one else fits the bill.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #494 on May 19, 2020, 10:43:22 am by Mike_F »
I'm certainly not a Tory or supporter of the Conservative Party but we're stuck with them for the next four years so I'd rather have Sunak running the show than Mr. Johnson.

I'm quietly hoping that Sir Keir's measured, fact and logic based approach has a twofold effect on the governance of the country:

Firstly that the primary purpose of the opposition i.e. holding the incumbent government to account for their actions is fulfilled to a strong enough degree that some of their unscrupulous behaviours are curtailed .

Secondly that some of the more moderate members of the Conservative Party are so keen to distance themselves from the excesses of the Bullingdon Boys that they defect to other parties.

For full disclosure I'm a LD member. In times of crisis I wouldn't expect a minority party to have much influence or coverage but I'm very impressed with Ed Davey so far. I'll also hold my hands up and say I made the wrong call in supporting Jo Swinson over him in the leadership election having not looked into her pretty appalling voting record!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #495 on May 19, 2020, 10:50:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Considering the people he's in the midst of, I believe that they're right to think that. No-one else fits the bill.

Precisely my point.

Getting the fundamentals right ought to be the most basic of prerequisites to be considered as PM material. Sunak has done that and it has elevated him way above the field. Says all you need to know about the current generation of senior Tory politicians.

Gove
Raab
Patel

Jesus: Those are the best of the rest of the field.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #496 on May 19, 2020, 10:51:16 am by idler »
I think that if the Lib Dem’s had forged an alliance with Gordon Brown the country would have fared much better and they could have also been more of a political force than they are now.
Nick Clegg has a lot to answer for. He threw away all of the hard work that they put in to get where they were to hold a balance of power.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #497 on May 19, 2020, 11:20:47 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I'm certainly not a Tory or supporter of the Conservative Party but we're stuck with them for the next four years so I'd rather have Sunak running the show than Mr. Johnson.

I'm quietly hoping that Sir Keir's measured, fact and logic based approach has a twofold effect on the governance of the country:

Firstly that the primary purpose of the opposition i.e. holding the incumbent government to account for their actions is fulfilled to a strong enough degree that some of their unscrupulous behaviours are curtailed .

Secondly that some of the more moderate members of the Conservative Party are so keen to distance themselves from the excesses of the Bullingdon Boys that they defect to other parties.

For full disclosure I'm a LD member. In times of crisis I wouldn't expect a minority party to have much influence or coverage but I'm very impressed with Ed Davey so far. I'll also hold my hands up and say I made the wrong call in supporting Jo Swinson over him in the leadership election having not looked into her pretty appalling voting record!

Are you impressed with Ed Davey manipulating the leadership election date to favour himself?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #498 on May 19, 2020, 11:23:20 am by Mike_F »
For what it's worth I wouldn't have gone into coalition at all. Holding the balance of power on an issue-by-issue basis could have openly curtailed the worst behaviours of the Tories without the need for behind-closed-doors horse trading.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #499 on May 19, 2020, 11:35:13 am by Mike_F »
Are you impressed with Ed Davey manipulating the leadership election date to favour himself?

Are you insinuating that by delaying until next year with the full backing of the federal board he's favouring himself?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #500 on May 19, 2020, 11:40:35 am by idler »
For what it's worth I wouldn't have gone into coalition at all. Holding the balance of power on an issue-by-issue basis could have openly curtailed the worst behaviours of the Tories without the need for behind-closed-doors horse trading.
I think that Nick Clegg wanted a presence in the government rather than to just influence policy.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #501 on May 19, 2020, 11:56:28 am by Mike_F »
Unfortunately I think you're right and for his vanity he sacrificed thirty years' progress.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #502 on May 19, 2020, 12:01:12 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Are you insinuating that by delaying until next year with the full backing of the federal board he's favouring himself?

"Remember the Liberal Democrats? The party has been leaderless ever since Jo Swinson lost her seat last December, less than five months after taking charge - but a bizarre power grab has been under way. A curious pair has assumed the role of "joint acting leader". as half of this duumvirate Sir Edward Davey MP, soundly defeated by Swinson in the last leadership contest, has now actually been in post for longer than she was. Davey shares power with Dr Mark Pack.

As president of the Lib Dems, Pack's role is to uphold the constitution and to chair the party's federal board, on which Davey also sits. Curiously, two weeks after Pack assumed office in January, the board came out for the longest possible timetable for a leadership election, pushing it back until June- even though the party's rulebook envisions a contest lasting 9-13 weeks.

Then the election was delayed again, due to the Covid-19 crisis - fair enough. But Lib Dem members were furious to learn that it had been pushed back over a year: it wouldn't even begin until May 2021, thus extending the Davey-Pack junta from six months to more than 18 months! There was widespread suspicion that Sir Edward was lining himself up to be a shoo-in for the vote, becoming the well-entrenched incumbent with Pack's support.

Things grew even more bizarre when a dissenting member of the federal board, Jo Hayes, complained about the farce. Opposing this, in a long submission on behalf of the board, was...Mark Pack. The result was a formal ruling from barrister Alan Masters (who chairs the party's federal appeals panel) which makes sober reading for Davey and Pack.

While recognising that Covid-19 justified a further delay, Masters concludes: "To suspend the elections to May 2021 cannot be justified. I see no reason why once restrictions cease and it becomes safe to do so, an election cannot be conducted as soon as practical thereafter." Alternately, the party could just quietly drop the 'Democrats' from its name..."

From the current issue of Private Eye.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:10:57 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #503 on May 19, 2020, 12:25:02 pm by Mike_F »
It's a no-lose as far as I'm concerned. A delay due to the pandemic is, as PE states entirely justified. Ok it's a long old delay and I take the point that they're making but one of two things will happen:

Davey in his current "acting" role will do a great job and therefore be a firm favourite to get the post permanently

or

He won't be up to much as an interim and will give himself enough rope to be hanged with

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #504 on May 19, 2020, 01:41:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's a no-lose as far as I'm concerned. A delay due to the pandemic is, as PE states entirely justified. Ok it's a long old delay and I take the point that they're making but one of two things will happen:

Davey in his current "acting" role will do a great job and therefore be a firm favourite to get the post permanently

or

He won't be up to much as an interim and will give himself enough rope to be hanged with

So why is Davey prolonging it as much as possible then?

(a) for the good of the party

or

(b) in his own self-interest?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #505 on May 19, 2020, 02:36:00 pm by Mike_F »
Dunno. He's on twitter, why don't you ask him?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #506 on May 19, 2020, 02:40:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Dunno. He's on twitter, why don't you ask him?

I don't use twitter. Never will.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #507 on May 19, 2020, 03:21:06 pm by Mike_F »
Lovely. Then your guess is as good as mine.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #508 on May 19, 2020, 03:32:47 pm by bpoolrover »
So you think the government and the PM has done well, since the election.?

The coronavirus outbreak would have been difficult for any government - but I would rather see a PM make strong decisions, even if proven later to be wrong, but on the basis of honesty.
on the economic plans the put in place yes I think they have done as well as could be expected, on keeping enough space in hospitals I think they have done pretty well, I think they should have locked down earlier but don’t no exactly what advice they were given, you will always find things they can improve on thou

Filo

• VSC Member

TinyPortal © 2005-2012