Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:41:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 81155 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #540 on May 19, 2020, 08:29:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Yes wilts thanks for that, what we need to know is what advice the goverment were given and how why they chose to go down the path they did, did the science people tell the government to lock down earlier or not?

It sounds like you think they were only given one lot of advice.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #541 on May 19, 2020, 08:37:02 pm by bpoolrover »
No Glynn I have no idea what advice they were given that’s why I will wait and see before judging

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #542 on May 19, 2020, 08:38:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bpool

How many times.

SAGE's role was NOT to tell the Govt what lockdown policy to implement. If you don't get that, you will get this wrong permanently.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #543 on May 19, 2020, 08:44:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
No Glynn I have no idea what advice they were given that’s why I will wait and see before judging

So if the enquiry never happens you're never going to have an opinion.

In the meantime, how many people have to die before you think that it hasn't been handled very well?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #544 on May 19, 2020, 08:46:13 pm by bpoolrover »
I answered this one above mate I said if there is not a enquiry it will be a disgrace and will not vote for them again

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #545 on May 19, 2020, 08:47:11 pm by bpoolrover »
But if the goverment is cleared labour I hope will accept the outcome somehow I very much doubt it thou

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #546 on May 19, 2020, 09:20:52 pm by IDM »
What could they be “cleared”’of.?

At best, the judgement may read “could and should have done better” and at worst they will be seen as negligent - criminal or not.

But still, the lies, and decisions like no longer comparing deaths internationally as soon as ours became the worst in Europe, won’t have gone away will they.?

You don’t need an enquiry to see those things, do you.?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #547 on May 19, 2020, 09:38:37 pm by wilts rover »
Yes wilts thanks for that, what we need to know is what advice the goverment were given and how why they chose to go down the path they did, did the science people tell the government to lock down earlier or not?

No one can tell the government what to do. They are the government - they are in charge. They decide what to do.

People advise them what the consequences of their actions will be. They do modelling - if you do this, that will happen, if you don't do this that will happen. Thats all SAGE does - provide advice.

COBRA decides. The group that Johnson didn't go to.

But yes you have the right questions. Who made the decisions? Why? And on what evidence?

Sorry I made a slight error on my first post btw. It was not 3rd March that SAGE (and thus the government) first knew about 500000 deaths. It was 11th February.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-didn-t-boris-act-sooner-against-coronavirus-

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #548 on May 19, 2020, 10:10:36 pm by tyke1962 »
The findings of an inquiry may not be particularly good news for the Tory Government and it's possible it may not be for Labour either .

If an subsequent Inquiry does a root and branch it may reveal that in this day and age the NHS is something no government should have to support through taxpayers money and expect it to be fit for purpose .

The Social Care system may also come under scrutiny .

I say this as someone who totally believes in the role of the state and it wouldn't sit right with me but we may also have to prepare for some truths we may not particularly like .

I'm not saying this will be the case but I wouldn't rule it out either .

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #549 on May 20, 2020, 08:31:59 am by Hounslowrover »
Tyke, we can pay for the NHS from our savings from EU membership. There are no excuses for this government  👍

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #550 on May 20, 2020, 08:48:09 am by Donnywolf »
I am sure he will remember this as well at PMQs

Everybody jumped on Govt for promising 100000 tests a day (they havent delivered on that yet) so why did Johnson feel the need to double that by the end of the Month (of May)

Come on SKS - tear him a new one providing a) he turns up and b) answers the questions

Prime Ministers Questions - the most appropriately named part of Parliamentary procedure.

If it were called Prime Ministers Answers (and I mean any PM past or present) it would be a misnomer

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-test-keir-starmer-downing-street-a9501691.html

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #551 on May 20, 2020, 09:04:49 am by IDM »
Tyke, we can pay for the NHS from our savings from EU membership. There are no excuses for this government  👍

£350m a week wasn’t it.?  Or was that slogan on the bus a figment of my imagination.?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:41:19 am by IDM »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #552 on May 20, 2020, 09:29:42 am by idler »
No it was a figment of somebody else's imagination IDM. Or creative accounting.☹️

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #553 on May 20, 2020, 09:41:35 am by Donnywolf »
.... yes IDM - you did not imaging the Bus or the amount quoted on it

However as Piers Morgan said yesterday the trouble is B****t resulted in tribalism and that has merely carried forward into this CVirus thing. If you voted Leave to get B****t done you are far more likely to allow lies and subterfuge slide by and if you voted Remain you are likely to be outraged by every word uttered by (what you see as a lying opportunist set of Bs) the Govt

Apart from the last bit in brackets they were all his words - and he personally voted Remain but then supported Leave because he wanted democracy delivered . What he found strange is that people here and in the US are still largely in those 2 camp - so much so that in the US the people wearing Masks are largely split on one side of the Trump debate and those who dont are on the opposite side

Personally if it were left to me I would wear one whether it made me look for or against Trump and thats what he couldnt get - why it had become sectarian. Your life is your life

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #554 on May 20, 2020, 09:48:28 am by tyke1962 »

All I'm saying is that if everything regarding the pandemic is put on the table some of the recommendations that emerge from an Inquiry could be real game changes in how the NHS and Social Care are funded .

Just look at the findings from the Taylor Report and how that changed the way we watch football today as an example .

The expected flogging of the Tory Government may not be quite what you think it maybe .

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #555 on May 20, 2020, 09:54:14 am by idler »
The problem is though that politicians will now tell an outright lie without blinking and then when called to account dodge the issue with no shame.
It is becoming the norm and unfortunately things spread like wildfire now on social media. We are in a world where repeated soundbites and slogans become the gospel to some.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #556 on May 20, 2020, 09:59:50 am by IDM »
Up until a couple of weeks ago I would have barely noticed when PMQs was happening, let alone watched or listened.

However these days it’s a must-watch.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #557 on May 20, 2020, 10:02:11 am by Filo »
Up until a couple of weeks ago I would have barely noticed when PMQs was happening, let alone watched or listened.

However these days it’s a must-watch.

It will be a week today since the PM has been seen or heard from, that was when he’d just been handed his arse on a plate by Starmer

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #558 on May 20, 2020, 10:05:43 am by IDM »
I too think Johnson has been conspicuous by his absence.  He lit the metaphorical blue touch paper with the clusterf**k broadcast a week last Sunday on easing lockdown, then lied in PMQs on Wednesday.

Giving him some benefit of doubt he is recovering from having the virus, and he has a new born child, so may be limiting what he does. 

But this is a national (and global) crisis.  Where the f**k is he.?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #559 on May 20, 2020, 10:16:09 am by Filo »
I too think Johnson has been conspicuous by his absence.  He lit the metaphorical blue touch paper with the clusterf**k broadcast a week last Sunday on easing lockdown, then lied in PMQs on Wednesday.

Giving him some benefit of doubt he is recovering from having the virus, and he has a new born child, so may be limiting what he does. 

But this is a national (and global) crisis.  Where the f**k is he.?

And Parliament goes into recess on Thursday for two weeks, if he fails to turn up for PMQ’s today it could be possible he won’t be seen or heard from until June

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #560 on May 20, 2020, 10:27:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Apparently he IS skipping PMQs today.

It's starting to feel like Moscow c.1983 when they just used to wheel out the President to stand on the ramparts above Red Square for the annual Victory Parade, then you wouldn't see him again for a year.

Yes, I know Johnson has been seriously ill and yes I know he's just become a father for the 5th or 8th time (choose your number - Johnson has led us into an era where objective truth is what you make it) but this has been going on from well before those events.

I wonder if anyone has a record of just how many days he's been seen in public since the Election? It's been five months since then. I bet Johnson's not been seen on more than 50 of those days.

He fancies himself as Churchill. Imagine in 1940 if Churchill had just said to the nation, "I have nothing to offer you."

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #561 on May 20, 2020, 10:40:33 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I'd like to know how many PMQs have taken place since Boris became PM, and how many he's actually turned up for.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #562 on May 20, 2020, 10:46:05 am by IDM »
I’d like to know how many answers he has given honestly!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #563 on May 20, 2020, 11:01:07 am by Filo »
Apparently he IS skipping PMQs today.

It's starting to feel like Moscow c.1983 when they just used to wheel out the President to stand on the ramparts above Red Square for the annual Victory Parade, then you wouldn't see him again for a year.

Yes, I know Johnson has been seriously ill and yes I know he's just become a father for the 5th or 8th time (choose your number - Johnson has led us into an era where objective truth is what you make it) but this has been going on from well before those events.

I wonder if anyone has a record of just how many days he's been seen in public since the Election? It's been five months since then. I bet Johnson's not been seen on more than 50 of those days.

He fancies himself as Churchill. Imagine in 1940 if Churchill had just said to the nation, "I have nothing to offer you."

If he’s skipping them it’s a disgrace

I wonder who the lamb to the slaughter will be, Raab? And I bet he’s shitting himself right now

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #564 on May 20, 2020, 11:25:03 am by IDM »
As much as I would like to know where he is, maybe he has genuine reasons other than cowardice.?

Remember the outcry when Billy Sharp was missing from our line up on a Saturday and no one knew why at the time.?

Now I am not saying that this is the same now, and I 100% wouldn’t want to use anything associated with a new born baby as a political football, but let’s see what the reason is.?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #565 on May 20, 2020, 11:59:38 am by bpoolrover »
As much as I would like to know where he is, maybe he has genuine reasons other than cowardice.?

Remember the outcry when Billy Sharp was missing from our line up on a Saturday and no one knew why at the time.?

Now I am not saying that this is the same now, and I 100% wouldn’t want to use anything associated with a new born baby as a political football, but let’s see what the reason is.?
my wife having had the virus but now tested negative 2 weeks ago is still quite poorly
Even thou you test negative many people are taking weeks to get back to full fitness

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #566 on May 20, 2020, 12:05:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ok so the paper that said Johnson wasn't doing PMQ was wrong.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #567 on May 20, 2020, 12:13:06 pm by IDM »

my wife having had the virus but now tested negative 2 weeks ago is still quite poorly
Even thou you test negative many people are taking weeks to get back to full fitness

I hope your wife’s recovery continue bpool.

Clearly we have different views on things, but there’s no malice.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #568 on May 20, 2020, 12:19:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I hope your wife’s recovery continue bpool.

Clearly we have different views on things, but there’s no malice.

Seconded. Thoughts are with you Bpool.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #569 on May 20, 2020, 12:24:59 pm by SydneyRover »
I hope your wife recovers soon and fully bp.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012