Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 02:16:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Planning for the January window.  (Read 3789 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Planning for the January window.
« on January 14, 2022, 02:01:47 pm by Jonathan »
We had months to plan for this transfer window and have a designated role in the club to facilitate this. The need escalated with the crippling injury crisis leading to the substantial funds being made available and a reassurance that plans were ready to go right at the start of the window.

We’re now almost at the mid-point of the transfer window, and so far it’s three out and one in. The one in only came onto our radar a week ago when he suddenly became available. Of the three out, whilst arguably none were good enough, they represent half of our league goals from forwards all season to date. And the now departed goalkeeper started the last game given our only other senior (albeit inexperienced) goalkeeper was injured with a problem that is still affecting him.

You could be forgiven for asking what the point in planning was if this is where it has got us almost half way through the transfer window. Had we not bothered planning at all, would we be any worse off than this?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Planning for the January window.
« Reply #1 on January 14, 2022, 02:04:56 pm by Filo »
We were told we were ready to go at the start of the window, we can’t keep hanging on, can’t anyone at the club see any urgency, we look at other clubs getting in players left right and centre while we sit here appearing to have accepted our fate

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 14, 2022, 02:12:45 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
With additions as soon as the window opened, that might have seen us beat Fleetwood.

It almost feels as though the club are writing off the Wigan game and whilst it will be almost impossible to get the win, with 3 or 4 additions in place for Wigan instead of just Agard, we might have had half a chance.

If we lose to Wigan and teams above us pull further away then it makes a mockery of the lack of urgency in bringing in new players.

We needed new players as of yesterday and if we don't get 2 more in BEFORE Cambridge then that is another game potentially chucked down the drain.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 14, 2022, 02:16:51 pm by Colin C No.3 »
It is frustrating given that since RW’s departure we were still likely to be in the bottom four come January (we haven’t helped our cause losing the last two games to poor opposition) & therefore identifying & getting players in asap, was something I think most of us expected.

I appreciate we don’t want knee jerk signings aka Dodoo, but these games in January could well seal our fate, one way or another.

The board & management will have recognised that. We do not have the luxury to procrastinate.

Look at the upcoming fixtures.

It really is do or die time.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 14, 2022, 02:18:42 pm by Metalmicky »
Feels like we're actually preparing for next season TBH - which in itself is probably not the worse thing.  It's just the club dangle a little bit of hope and expectation in front of us and we all start being positive..... only to get these hopes dashed.   

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 14, 2022, 02:27:23 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Very quiet and very little coming out of the club. That’s ok providing actions speak louder than words and the players come in. I have no faith that the people in charge of transfers will suddenly become good at their jobs. More out than in so far. Time to do the deals yet, we will see.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 14, 2022, 02:28:48 pm by roversdude »
We may well end up with a better squad at the end of the window but it feels apathetic at the moment

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 14, 2022, 02:29:08 pm by mushRTID »
Honestly think the 2 defeats have damaged us.
Iv no doubt at all players were lined up/agreed. I imagine they have changed their minds after our gap to safety has increased.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 14, 2022, 02:36:47 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
All the more reason to get deals done. Slow and ponderous as usual really.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 14, 2022, 02:46:02 pm by Batleyred »
Gary Mc said in a interview yesterday they had 6 or7 contract offers to the targets identified. What more can they do. If a player doesn’t want to join it’s not the clubs fault. GaryMc sounded real positive on some though. The club can not win either way. Jacobs for instance has declined the offer.

I understand the urgency but I’d prefer the right people in and build from that whatever league we’re in.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 14, 2022, 02:53:36 pm by steve@dcfd »
Two more defeats and no body will want to come. Two of the four players we had agreed have pasted their deadlines we are now looking at others.

With three loans gone why have we not been able to bring in more loans.

GMC can sound as positive as he wants but actions speak louder than words and it’s not happening on the pitch or the in transfers yes we had one drop in our lap.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 14, 2022, 03:06:52 pm by Donny Exile in York »
What gets me is that pre January 1st, it was all on, who can we get in to help us in the relegation battle, to get us up the table. We then have two important six pointers which we lose with no new recruits and it firms up our position at the bottom of the table. We sign Agard, but 14 days into the window, it is a case now given the two six pointers lost and position of the table, that given the early inactivity, we are now, or alot of fans are thinking, we best plan for league two, and the players coming in fit for league two too.

So in less than 2 weeks since the start of the window, we have not acted quickly, not strengthened with planning in advance to ensure we are stronger for the two six pointers. If we had beaten Morecambe and Fleetwood, and i appreciate it was a big IF at the time, then we would have been right in the mix for survival. Now we have reacted as Jonathan states quickly to bring in Agard, and decided to forgo Dahlberg, but it doesn't give the sense of great planning for what was and is a fundamental transfer window.

It really is beginning to feel like we have been planning for league two for quite a while, as Baldwin said in September, we are not in a relegation battle, quite right, we are well below it!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:09:29 pm by Donny Exile in York »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 14, 2022, 03:15:15 pm by steve@dcfd »
We are not in a battle to do that our troops needed reinforcements. It’s an acceptance where we limply rollover.

I did expect one or two in today it’s not happening not good is it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:17:49 pm by steve@dcfd »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 14, 2022, 03:18:54 pm by Draytonian III »
We might have been in for half a dozen players but they might have declined our offer for numerous reasons, ie location, length of contact. Not many businesses air their appointment misses in public so why should football clubs

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 14, 2022, 03:27:52 pm by since-1969 »
It’s the same old excuses given out about the delays and a lack of recognition from those in charge that results by the club and it’s performances are actually down them. … for the saying goes “You get what you pay for”. We’re  just bottom trawling now , looking for that cheap players  no other club  wants !

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 14, 2022, 03:32:22 pm by steve@dcfd »
GB said we could have had 3 or 4 in but we are waiting for the 4 we’ve offered terms to first that’s what GMC wants. Deadlines have gone on two. Yes we could have offered others contracts if it’s half a dozen and they’ve refused then we are not looking good.

Are parent clubs not allowing loans to come as well.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 14, 2022, 03:36:26 pm by Batleyred »
To live in a perfect world where everything goes to plan. Some people make life very simple.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 14, 2022, 04:09:21 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
To live in a perfect world where everything goes to plan. Some people make life very simple.

But the club doesn't seem to be able to adapt to things that don't go to plan.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 14, 2022, 04:24:42 pm by normal rules »
Boston United have just signed Hanson fromFarsley Celtic. Yes he is 34, but plenty of league exp and knows where the goal is. He could have done a job for us. Boston have him till end of season so short term deals are out there.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 14, 2022, 04:51:50 pm by Copps is Magic »
I think the problem is transfers are a negotiation. It seems we generally set (or renew) a budget at a set point and ask the manager to live within that budget. But to have any short-term impact you have to be more flexible than that, even if it means spending extra sometimes.

Secondly, I think when the club sacked Wellens on 3rd Dec, they genuinely hoped it would have an 'impact' on our season. That didn't materialize because of a) the lack of quality in the squad was much bigger than we/they anticipated b) their slow and methodological interview process c) injuries (arguably also, D) GM has had little impact, but I will reserve judgment). Fast-forward 6 weeks later and we have lost some absolutely crucial crucial games and now our chances of staying up are basically nill.

It's hard to take, but for a club that positions itself as 'prudent', we must start planning now for next year. If that means the transfers will take longer but are more thought out I would take it.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 14, 2022, 04:57:48 pm by GazLaz »
It’s not going to be easy attracting players the situation we are in. We could potentially do more harm than good in the next two weeks. Targets at the start of the month could have been put off by recent form.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 14, 2022, 04:59:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
They have planned if you listen to the interviews! Things don't happen all at once.

You have to respect GMs choices. He's already acted to get Agard in. He's already told us about Jacobs who seems to have dithered and wants a chance to stay where he is for now, so I'm sure GM will look at other options on the list. Some he'll give time to, some he won't.

We've no reason to believe he won't stick to the deadlines he's set aside for each acquisition.

As they said, the next 7 days or so will tell us more about who he's targeted. It may also mean there's scope at the end of the window to do more business.

Let them get on with it!!

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 14, 2022, 05:01:27 pm by Spilsby Red »
Well said DonnyBaz

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 14, 2022, 05:02:48 pm by Copps is Magic »
It’s not going to be easy attracting players the situation we are in. We could potentially do more harm than good in the next two weeks. Targets at the start of the month could have been put off by recent form.

Don't buy that. If they're getting a decent length contract on decent money I would not imagine league one or two makes much difference to a lot of players.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 14, 2022, 05:05:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Boston United have just signed Hanson fromFarsley Celtic. Yes he is 34, but plenty of league exp and knows where the goal is. He could have done a job for us. Boston have him till end of season so short term deals are out there.

I'd hope we weren't shopping in the same shop as Boston. :laugh:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 14, 2022, 05:05:26 pm by silent majority »
It’s the same old excuses given out about the delays and a lack of recognition from those in charge that results by the club and it’s performances are actually down them. … for the saying goes “You get what you pay for”. We’re  just bottom trawling now , looking for that cheap players  no other club  wants !

WUM!!

None of that is actually true but what do you care?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 14, 2022, 05:06:28 pm by silent majority »

Don't buy that. If they're getting a decent length contract on decent money I would not imagine league one or two makes much difference to a lot of players.

You'd be mistaken. The club has to have a relegation cause built into the contract, so it does matter!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 14, 2022, 05:11:38 pm by GazLaz »

Then you get into the realms of being desperate and over paying.

Let’s face it, we are very very likely to be playing in L2 next season whoever we sign. We will be able to sign better players in the summer than what are available now. I just hope we don’t get lumbered with 2/3/4 players that we sign this window, thanking you a decent % of the budget, when we could have attached better in the summer.

That’s probably what’s going to happen.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 14, 2022, 05:12:11 pm by Filo »

You'd be mistaken. The club has to have a relegation cause built into the contract, so it does matter!

They don’t have to, you’ve already stated non of our contracted players have relegation clauses

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 14, 2022, 05:13:48 pm by sha66y »
Lot of people know a lot on here…………or do they?

You don’t want to know how difficult it is to get players to sign for a team at the bottom of the league…..they change their minds, they rethink the situation and they all have agents who are looking at less money to line their pockets……

.I hope Agard is the only one we sign, and we get 3-4 loaners to get us to the end of the season……..

Just my opinion

TinyPortal © 2005-2012