Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:21:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game  (Read 3537 times)

selby

• VSC Member
let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« on March 09, 2020, 10:36:23 am by selby »
  After the two wins on the trot the need and tough ask to make it three wins on the trot, to try and continue our tracking of the top six  spot we as supporters want, and something we don't do that often.
  Not the easiest team to do it against, a team that are fighting to keep distance between themselves and Tranmere for a relegation spot, and a team that have already spoilt our season somewhat before Christmas being somewhat of a bogey side for us when we play them on their own patch.
  Now their loan player from Brentford has returned home, the player who has given us as much trouble as any this season Pigott who has been a one man forward line for them in earlier matches will have to be watched, being the oppositions player of the season against us in those earlier games running us ragged, showing energy and desire to make things happen, a player who I would have  not been disappointed to see arrive here in January.
  Again I will leave guessing our side to play to others, the mystery probably who and how many changes to the last side fielded at MK Dons.
  Games seem to be growing in importance every week along with the need for us to win, and although not playing free flowing exciting football in the last two games we have found a way to win, a nice habit to have, so credit to the management and the players especially.
  Although returning to Brentford in January Forss is still their top scorer on 11 goals, with the rest of the side having found goals hard to come by, I am hoping it continues at least for another week, none of the others yet in double figures, and have won 3 drawn 2 and lost 12 league games on their travels.
  With so few home fixtures left for us  winning the game is important to us to keep up momentum and pressure on teams above us, so our side will be carrying expectancy  from the crowd, who with only a small away following expected can make a difference by getting behind the side.
  Lots to discuss about this game, will we have a new striker to watch after his suspension?
  Will Taylor start the game?
  Will Coppinger play a part in the game?
  Can we extend our winning form? (the most important question)
  Can we contain Pigott? (which we failed to do in   the earlier games)
  These and many other questions to be answered, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #1 on March 09, 2020, 12:43:40 pm by IDM »
We contained piggott in the fa cup replay didn’t we?  Ran out comfortable winners that day..

We have plenty of attacking options - on his day Taylor is highly dangerous and okinabehre is available again.   Cole looks like a player who works his socks off but doesn’t get a huge amount of goals..

Who would be a manager eh.?

We should have enough to beat Wimbledon, but having seen us not do so great against the likes of Rochdale and Bolton recently, I’m not getting complacent here.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 09, 2020, 08:20:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’m not going to second guess who the manager will select for this game, but whoever he picks will be fine by me, as, despite a few questions over the manager’s selections on this site, he must be doing something right, especially considering a goal difference of +18, which is on a par with the league leaders!

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lokilo (Lurkio) make his home debut for this game, possibly replacing Ennis, who had a quiet game, by his standards, against MK Dons. A player, Lokilo, who the manager has previously said that ‘he has the tools to unlock defences’ and I can see Wimbledon trying to stop us playing and hoping to sneak something. If what I watched in the u23 game last week is anywhere near replicated, we could be in for some excitement. The lad was on a different planet and he does seem to have something special about him, but until he does it at senior level, we’ll never know.

Maybe James could find himself back in, harsh on Danny Amos maybe, but we need every bit of experience we can get, just now. It’s certainly nice to know we have a good back up on the bench, either way.

Up top, I’d definitely go with Okenabirhie, with Cole on the bench, purely from a goal scoring potential and nothing else. I just think Cole works hard but he doesn’t exactly give us what it says on the tin - goal scorer.

That’s 3 possible changes to the team and I can’t see the manager doing that, but it does go to show we have some good options off the bench.

Just let’s just get the 3 points and hope that one or more of our rivals slip up (starting tomorrow night).

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 09, 2020, 08:25:15 pm by ravenrover »
I'd be surprised if Cole doesn't start. I think he will fill one of the wide positions with Fej up front. Ennis on the bench perhaps?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 09, 2020, 08:28:01 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
For me just bring Taylor in for Ennis and maybe have Gomes for Sheaf if we're looking to attack them. Other than that leave it as it is and use Fej from the bench at least for his first game back. I'd like Lokilo to get a decent run from the bench and copps too

Not sure when Lokilo comes in for a start at the moment Taylor is playing so well from the bench he's 1st in the queue to come in. we've lot's of options which isn't something we're used too!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 10, 2020, 09:30:56 am by Donnywolf »
Yes indeed WHO would be a Manager

Above we already have several different and plausible "shouts". Cole not scoring at the moment but displayed 2 short displays of afterburners in last 2 games and might he just do it this weekend

Taylor a right speed merchant - for me let him start and do some damage - or is it better to have him in reserve to do as he did Saturday - come on when oppos are tiring. That risks the game having gone away already

So as asked above . Who WOULD be a Manager. Not me

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 10, 2020, 09:50:47 am by selby »
  The manager obviously has the say, and it is a game of opinions, but Sheaf, Taylor, and Coppinger are all in the best eleven we can put out my opinion others will disagree.
   Good as I rate Ennis, Ramsey, and Gomes I have yet to see them effect a game as dominant as the other three over the full game, they flit in and out of games Ramsey and Ennis with goals that make you think wow where did that come from, but are just as likely and are more likely to lose the ball or not track back, and don't bring other players and make them play as much as the other three mentioned to me. That however does not mean I think they are poor players, I don't, just my comparison of the respective players.
  I support them when they play, and the managers opinion on his team selection and he is doing a great job at the club.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 10, 2020, 10:15:40 am by idler »
I think that those three are still learning their trade. They will be far better with more experience as I feel it's off the ball and their choosing the right option at times that lets them down. Having the right balance of experience around them should help in that respect whereas playing too many young players at once can leave them isolated.

Magicman

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 10, 2020, 10:19:43 am by Magicman »
Yes indeed WHO would be a Manager

Above we already have several different and plausible "shouts". Cole not scoring at the moment but displayed 2 short displays of afterburners in last 2 games and might he just do it this weekend

Taylor a right speed merchant - for me let him start and do some damage - or is it better to have him in reserve to do as he did Saturday - come on when oppos are tiring. That risks the game having gone away already

So as asked above . Who WOULD be a Manager. Not me
yes who would be a manager but I would sooner do a manager with the choices DM has rather than many managers in all leagues,he will be looking it at minute

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 10, 2020, 11:21:18 am by since-1969 »
Wow betide any fan you attempts to suggest DM will select the same team that has just won two on the bounce but it’s odds on he changes it .  :thumbdown:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 10, 2020, 11:26:02 am by selby »
  Idler we all have different opinions about players and teams, I am not in any way saying I am  right but I have my own opinion, and if I had to pick a team to play for my life out of the current squad, I would pick Coppinger, Sheaf, and Taylor in the starting eleven, and Ennis, Ramsey,  and Gomes as substitutes.
  I would hope that the rest of you would give me a good send off if I proved to be crap at management, and I would leave my lucky underpants to be raffled off at the next game.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 10, 2020, 12:28:02 pm by idler »
I'm not disagreeing Selby. We are now in the fortunate position of having decent choices in a number of areas. 
I only hope that DM gets the balance of age and experience right for the games to come. We can criticise when we feel that the team selection is wrong but can't say what the result would have been had our choices been selected.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 10, 2020, 12:40:21 pm by selby »
  Spot on Idler, and is a large part of the fascination of the game and why us the fans love it so much.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 10, 2020, 05:32:15 pm by scawsby steve »
  Idler we all have different opinions about players and teams, I am not in any way saying I am  right but I have my own opinion, and if I had to pick a team to play for my life out of the current squad, I would pick Coppinger, Sheaf, and Taylor in the starting eleven, and Ennis, Ramsey,  and Gomes as substitutes.
  I would hope that the rest of you would give me a good send off if I proved to be crap at management, and I would leave my lucky underpants to be raffled off at the next game.

That last sentence sounds hideous Brian; almost as bad as raffling off Ann Widdicombe's knickers.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 10, 2020, 05:54:56 pm by selby »
  Steve, over the years I have supported the Rovers, there have been times when they frightened me in a game more than Ann Widdicombe could ever do. Brentford for one was like a war being declared I knew nothing about.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 10, 2020, 10:02:38 pm by steve@dcfd »
Look at goals scored Taylor and Ennis both have 6 both with a goal around every 325 minutes Ramsey scored 3 every 178 minutes. Copps 4 every 577 minutes but get 7 assists so down to choice. Mine is Sadlier, Taylor, Ramsey and Okenabirhie whose scored 2 every 81 minutes. We will see what the manager does it’s his choice.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 10, 2020, 10:21:16 pm by selby »
  I think Okenabirhie is a shoe in, but would not put money on it, and probably harsh on Cole.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 11, 2020, 08:00:35 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't think he'll put Fejerie straight in but might go for Taylor with Sadlier on the other side and give Ennis a rest.

Whatever he decides, we're up to full strength.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 11, 2020, 08:48:54 am by Campsall rover »
I don't think he'll put Fejerie straight in but might go for Taylor with Sadlier on the other side and give Ennis a rest.

Whatever he decides, we're up to full strength.
Apart from Reece James.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 11, 2020, 12:41:59 pm by ravenrover »
Didn't James play last week?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 11, 2020, 12:46:22 pm by IDM »
Yes for the under 23 team.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 11, 2020, 02:33:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
U23 side playing W. Brom today: (Central League Cup game)

Team

Jones
Horton
John
Greaves
Kiwomya
Hasani
Boocock
4 triallists

HT 0-0

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 11, 2020, 03:38:21 pm by selby »
  If there is one thing coming out of these games it is the fact we are getting more players than ever having a trial with us. As Alan noted a couple of weeks ago some are quite tasty, and if one or two come up to the mark for us in the future, it can only become a good thing.
  It must be hard for the lads themselves to make a mark in such a short time, but at least the club are showing we are being proactive, I  personally am all for it.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 11, 2020, 05:31:00 pm by Rovers91 »
My team on Saturday would be same as the weekend with Taylor coming in for Ennis and Fej coming in for Cole.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 11, 2020, 05:44:31 pm by Donnywolf »
U23 side playing W. Brom today: (Central League Cup game)

Team

Jones
Horton
John
Greaves
Kiwomya
Hasani
Boocock
4 triallists

HT 0-0
Yes for the under 23 team.

.... and as he isnt in the U23s that must mean a return in some form v AFCW I am guessing (unless he was injured in that game or since)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 11, 2020, 07:32:17 pm by ravenrover »
My thoughts too, not heard anything about any injury so could mean the bench for Danny

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 11, 2020, 07:37:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
For me the shirt is danny's till there's a reason to bring James back in. I get that James is still 1st choice but if Cole was scoring we wouldn't suggest Feji coming back in for him straight away and this situation is similar imo 

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 11, 2020, 07:42:52 pm by IDM »
The reason is janes is a better player with more first team experience..

I rate Amos, but James is the better choice IMHO.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 13, 2020, 09:26:29 am by selby »
  I suppose one of the biggest questions about tomorrows game will be if the current unfortunate health crisis will affect the attendance and whether people will have the confidence to go about their lives with as little disruption as possible, which is a major personal decision.
  Whatever people decide stay safe guys and gals, anywhere not just our fans and the football community, but everyone  wherever you are.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 13, 2020, 09:30:48 am by The Beast »
  I suppose one of the biggest questions about tomorrows game will be if the current unfortunate health crisis will affect the attendance and whether people will have the confidence to go about their lives with as little disruption as possible, which is a major personal decision.
  Whatever people decide stay safe guys and gals, anywhere not just our fans and the football community, but everyone  wherever you are.

I’ve got a feeling all domestic games could be postponed from sometime today, hope not! Not really bothered about an afternoon in the pub or doing DIY for that matter.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012