Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:16:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the MK Dons match  (Read 6601 times)

Reesielad

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the MK Dons match
« Reply #60 on September 12, 2020, 06:36:17 pm by Reesielad »
We were lucky today to get a point in my opinion. A lot for DM to work on. Still missing that Sheaf type player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on September 12, 2020, 07:31:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »
"Tulloch played a major role in Rovers taking the lead against the run of play, as he created the chance which Mallik Wilks finished superbly."

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/darren-moore-explains-tough-team-selection-doncaster-rovers-draw-mk-dons-2969811

Did I miss something? :laugh:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on September 12, 2020, 07:36:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
DM says he made the difficult decision of blooding the young ones in today's game cos he thought they would take advantage of the energy and pace up top. Also thinking it would be easier to make their debuts in this game than perhaps Charlton away.

I can understand his thinking and seeing as we got a point after leading, he's not going to regret, or admit to regretting his selections.

Be interesting to see the starting XI next week as maybe a blessing he's got a full week of training ahead.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on September 12, 2020, 07:41:50 pm by NickDRFC »
DM says he made the difficult decision of blooding the young ones in today's game cos he thought they would take advantage of the energy and pace up top. Also thinking it would be easier to make their debuts in this game than perhaps Charlton away.

I can understand his thinking and seeing as we got a point after leading, he's not going to regret, or admit to regretting his selections.

Be interesting to see the starting XI next week as maybe a blessing he's got a full week of training ahead.

Why would he not regret anything after letting slip two points after leading?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on September 12, 2020, 07:45:00 pm by selby »
  I wonder what the Peterborough manager has to say?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on September 12, 2020, 07:50:48 pm by dknward2 »

Thank you for this opportunity and good luck for the future

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on September 12, 2020, 07:54:15 pm by Reesielad »
He’s blamed COVID apparently.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on September 12, 2020, 08:14:07 pm by ravenrover »
Well DM asked a lot of the young ones and perhaps asked too much to be all thrown in at once.

Plenty of individual talent and at times you can forgive their naivety. Given all that, did anyone else shout at the TV when Taylor made some really poor decisions when he should know better.

We all know 1-0 was a precarious scoreline. Who better to bring on than Copps for the last 10-15 mins. Like many, I was gobsmacked that he didn't bring him on.

A piece of brilliance from them got the equaliser just as you though we were defending well.

I'm not sure how much MK Don's can improve but we can improve a hell of alot.

A bit hard to judge the new lads on that showing. Perhaps a bit disappointed with Richards who seemed to lose his purpose in the second half and was letting the game and players pass him by for a while. Perhaps ran out of gas.

Gomes sometimes lost the ball too easily too or didn't get possession when he should have done but did some other things, including the goal, very well. Needs to be more consistent to be alongside Whiteman. We know he can do it.

Not sure if Tulloch and John-Jules yet fully appreciate the commitment required in men's football and the discipline you have to have. Possibly playing in an empty stadium makes it seem like an U23s match than a tough League One match. I hope they learn quickly.

Lots of work for DM on the training pitch to find the right balance and combinations.
Not sure about the brilliance of tgeir goal, a couple of 1 -2s and no-one went with the runner poor from our midfield IMHO

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on September 12, 2020, 08:27:45 pm by Metalmicky »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on September 12, 2020, 08:40:51 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The overall postive I take from what I saw is the increased pace in attack and the speed of passing and moving. Most seasons we are all too often painfully ponderous and end up with lots of sideways and backwards play - nice for possession stats though if you like that. The way this side played seemed to be much more in line with DM's prefered style, blistering from defence to attack. There's a balance to be had though, more possession is needed, that will come.

All the loanees looked good to me, still a bit green but all very skillfull. They'll improve lots over the coming weeks. I thought Bursik was excellent. His distribution tended to be very sharp, extremely quick in thought and action. Rather than committing himself for the tackle, I think he could have held up their player even for a second when he rushed out. We were very lucky to get away with that.

We seemed to drop back too quick giving them too much space in the middle with the flooding of the final quarter working for most of the game but always inviting danger.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on September 13, 2020, 08:45:30 am by Campsall rover »

Always got an excuse for losing. It’s never his fault is it. Poor excuse for a manager is DF.
He is under pressure already. Out fought and out thought by a team tipped to struggle.

Coleman has to be the best manager in the EFL   I tipped Accrington to go down this season and of course they might but every chance that i will look stupid with that prediction come May.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on September 13, 2020, 09:15:41 am by selby »
  I agree about Coleman he constantly punches above his weight with young players he is constantly having to replace as they move on.
  He would be my pick for the England job, as they seem to have the same problem of trying to make the best of a poor lot.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on September 13, 2020, 09:16:11 am by Alan Southstand »
Second best manager, Campsall?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on September 13, 2020, 09:49:34 am by selby »
  Back to our game yesterday, no player outside the defence as a whole and including the keeper and Whiteman were at it, further up the field we lacked cohesion and ball retention.
  Playing so many new signings with very little time to work on being a cohesive unit was our eventual undoing, and we were lucky it was not more of a problem, which it would have been if MK Dons had been better in front of goal.
  Yes some players showed flashes of individual ability, but there was hardly any passing movements of substance that even against Bradford was part of our play Whiteman excepted in the mid field areas.
  Lots of individual promise but a lot of serious team shape and cohesion to make us a team.
  The best players we had as outfield players were all the players that were here last season, and I would be interested in any ones explanation why Williams and Loliko was prefered to Coppinger as a substitute when we needed someone to come on and get on the ball and try and get a bit of control.
  Richards and Gomez are work in progress, talented players who need to quickly get game wise as to what areas they can be expansive and where they have to play the safer option.
  A word for the Keeper, he had an all round good game, kept us in the game at times in the first half, and with Jones has erased any doubts  I had that we could have a problem in this position, and hopefully both will get better, as I hope our team work will.
  If it does, and the individual ability can be harnessed into a team game there is much to look forward to if we can keep Whiteman.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on September 13, 2020, 10:18:29 am by Jonathan »
Didn’t see the game but read lots of reports from our perspective. It’s to be expected that we’ll take a bit of time to find a rhythm. There’ve been lots of changes and lots of young players still gaining experience. We’ll get there.

How did Jordan Houghton play? Always liked him when he was here and we could do with a sitting midfielder like that now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:39:30 am by Jonathan »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on September 13, 2020, 11:18:17 am by tyke1962 »
  I agree about Coleman he constantly punches above his weight with young players he is constantly having to replace as they move on.
  He would be my pick for the England job, as they seem to have the same problem of trying to make the best of a poor lot.

Smart cookie is Coleman he even took two kids from us who were deemed not good enough and turned em in to money makers and Championship players in Kayden Jackson and Jordan Clark .

Absolutely no budget to work with what so ever and he keeps them competitive in league one , remarkable achievement .

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on September 13, 2020, 11:26:05 am by sha66y »
Is Ben Whiteman the sitting midfielder or not, because I keep hearing references to us needing one, yet I thought that was his role....

Unless we need 2 defensive midfielders ?

Surely it’s just a case of getting Richards to sit a bit deeper, close enough to Ben to be a defensive wall....then alternate who drives forward and who stays back......

Or have I got this midfield strategy all wrong??

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on September 13, 2020, 11:29:28 am by Filo »
Is Ben Whiteman the sitting midfielder or not, because I keep hearing references to us needing one, yet I thought that was his role....

Surely it’s just a case of getting Richards to sit a bit deeper, close enough to Ben to be a defensive wall....then alternate who drives forward and who stays back......

I’m not sure Richards knew if he should sit, or go forwards, he seemed to be sat in no mans land and the game passed him by at times, especially in the first half, however we saw glimpses of what he can do when he nicks the ball and drives forward

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on September 13, 2020, 11:48:51 am by Chris Black come back »

They have a tough game next Saturday, against Fleetwood.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on September 13, 2020, 12:12:26 pm by RoversAlias »

That is the tactical strategy in simple terms that we play, yes, but Richards isn't that sort of player and nor really is Gomes from what we've seen. They are both better further forwards and we need someone to fulfil the duties that Sheaf did last season.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on September 13, 2020, 12:16:15 pm by the vicar »
What we have to realise with the young ones is it’s the first time in misters football, before we start saying this player was quite or that lad did nothing to impress, just give it a bit of thought that they have to learn how to play men’s football insteps of kids stuff

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on September 13, 2020, 12:50:48 pm by Chris the Rover »
Well said vicar

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on September 13, 2020, 01:10:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I think sometimes we get hung up on the phrase 'defensive midfielder'. As we know Ben is just as capable going forward but he plays an anchor role, using his range of passing to start moves and set the tempo. Last season he was ably accompanied by Sheaf and they both worked in tandem up and down the Central areas.

I thought it might be Richards who would fill that role. He might yet, but on that showing yesterday, I have my doubts. Many have said already, he just didn't seem quite sure. Gomes on the other hand should be more capable of adapting to that role but again, as with Richards, Ben found himself overloaded with the other two already bypassed.

It's all about defending as a unit and attacking as a unit but we need one of either Richards or Gomes to play that disciplined role and be on it throughout the game. If we don't, we're going to be cut open and rely too much on long balls out of defence.

Richards is a very talented player but its a tough place to play when your exposed to the intensity of league football in the middle of the park where there's nowhere to hide.

I hope DM over the nest few weeks can educate the young uns without making them fearful of making mistakes. That was the good thing about last season with Sheaf, Ennis and John really fully committing and showing no fear.

I guess my biggest gripe yesterday was Taylor not setting a good example making some very poor decisions and being ill disciplined.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on September 13, 2020, 02:05:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Second best manager, Campsall?
Go on I’ll give you that. Was trying not to be biased.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012