Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:28:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Charlton Athletic game  (Read 8207 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Charlton Athletic game
« on September 14, 2020, 10:37:03 am by selby »
 Charlton, a place I have come out of the ground seething against the injustice of referee's and of course the way a club tried very little to get a game on, and agitated to get a game abandoned, and also a couple of seasons ago came out very proud of the team even though we had failed to get to Wembley and a play off final. 
  They are a club that seem to be under constant threat of being insolvent, but being a London club survive when if they had been from other parts of the country they might have been long gone after years of miss management.
  They started off this season with a good 2-0 win at Crewe with goals from  Conor Washington and Alfie Doughty and Bowyer the manager moaning he wants things sorting out so he can spend dosh on the team on players he has lined up, What ever happened to managers  building his own team and shows the attraction of just being a London team.
  They still have some of the players that we came up against two seasons ago so will be, and looked good with Doughty a young player shining in what was described as an efficient display, so will be a test for our new team, and also have a great cup game for themselves against West Ham on Tuesday which our manager will no doubt be taking in to asses their real strength and could help them build momentum.
  Our own side can only benefit from a week on the training field working on patterns of play, we looked what we were against MK Dons at times a team of talented individuals that had not played a lot together, hopefully we can achieve that quickly.
  I hope that Coppinger and Okenabirhie come into the frame personally as at the moment I think they bring more presence and composure to our game.
  Our defence is as solid as we have had since the Jones era and looks to pick itself together with Whiteman.
   Gomes and Richards both have moments to me when they are indecisive and are sloppy, and others of real class, and need to cut out the sloppy bits and produce more wow moments which will come with more games in the team I hope.
  We certainly look a team of potential if we can find the formula to gel together but holding on, or getting a good wedge we can reinvest for Whiteman is a must and hopefully someone in  to play the Sheaf role that was missing on Saturday.
  Enough of  my rambling on, What do you think?
  What would your team be?
  Can we turn a bunch of talented strangers into a team quickly?
  Are we playing Charlton at the right time before a take over?
  Are you happy with our recruitment?
  And a big question, will you be buying access to a live game ticket on ifollow the chance to give some income to the club? we need as many as possible to do so, and need to build our away attendances as high as possible for every away game while crowds are banned  from attending, after an agreed number the Rovers get the fee over and above that number of purchases, please buy a ticket if possible.
  All are welcome to have their say, if any Charlton supporters read this please join in and give your take on the game,
   Stay safe guys and girls.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Charlton Athletic game
« Reply #1 on September 14, 2020, 10:49:32 am by Donnywolf »
Easy one first - YES - I will be getting an Ifollow because it will help DRFC to a small degree and "every little helps" and selfishly it is far better than watching Jeff Stelling and / or Twitter and waiting for a line to pop up advising a goal

I am not a tactician or a great studier of the formations used by Teams and most people will have the edge on me on that  BUT in answer to "Can we turn a bunch of talented strangers into a team quickly?" I would say yes and I have faith in DM to do it.

Second half v MKD we were really at it and it was unfortunate we coughed up the late goal rather than hanging on whether that would have been deemed lucky - I wouldnt have cared

Dont have a view on playing them pre take over except as with Bolton last Season IF they get money to spend they might be better in a few Games time than they are now but 2-0 win away doesnt suggest they are on their uppers does it
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:51:41 am by Donnywolf »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 14, 2020, 11:07:55 am by the vicar »
As I said about the MK game a very hard one as no one knows anything about anyone else and we are still blooding a lot of young lads in so I guess a draw is the best we can hope for, BUT I hope I’m totally wrong

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 14, 2020, 11:32:55 am by roversdude »
Good points raised there Selby - do we know at what point Rovers start to get income from iFollow at away games ?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 14, 2020, 12:59:04 pm by steve@dcfd »
Just paid for ifollow Charlton game still working out how to get the live game from my iPad to TV but I’ve got this week to try.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 14, 2020, 01:38:59 pm by deebee »
You will need a Chromecast or a TV with Chromecast built in alternatively a fire stick. You can then open ifollow in chrome on your ipad and cast from the drop down menu behind the 3 verticle dots top right corner.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 14, 2020, 01:46:03 pm by steve@dcfd »
I have got Chromecast plugged into my tv. I have opened ifollow in chrome but when going to the three dots cast is not there
I can use YouTube by chromecast but it appears you can’t cast from chrome on an iPad and I’ve made into desktop format.

I have an hdmi cable set up as well and can watch videos from the EFL app but can’t watch any game live on the tv.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:07:32 pm by steve@dcfd »

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 14, 2020, 02:04:50 pm by VivaRovers »
What would your team be?
The back seven (inc. Gomes and Whiteman) will likely be the same, but I can't see the line-up being as gung-ho forwards wise away from home so would expect Copinger and maybe even Okenabirhie to come back in.

Yes, Moore did it last year. We were unbeaten well into September don't forget.

Who knows? They might not get taken over and go into freefall.

Yes, very much so.

And a big question, will you be buying access to a live game ticket on ifollow the chance to give some income to the club?
No, I won't be. I spend all week on a computer working from home, so I'll be going to watch a local match whilst I can still get outside and do so.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 14, 2020, 02:27:53 pm by Metalmicky »
What would your team be?

As with VivaRovers I would expect the back 7 to remain the same - although I wouldn't object to a back three incorporating CJ.  Would also like to see Copps and OK playing.... if only to retain more possession in the middle and up front. 

I think so - although it may mean DM needs to tinker regularly with the team line-ups to keep everyone engaged...

I don't think the Charlton players will let takeover talk affect their games.... if anything it may spur them on.

Yes - although another 'Sheaf' type would have been nice......... if that's not being greedy

And a big question, will you be buying access to a live game ticket on ifollow the chance to give some income to the club?

Not for me... I'll wait for the highlights.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:31:54 pm by Metalmicky »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 14, 2020, 03:37:57 pm by selby »
  Roversdude, it is a number agreed with the home side based on our historical attendances on previous visits to the home club I believe.
  The last few visits  I have attended have been a decent following boosted by our supporters living in the South East and guessing would be in the region of 5 to 600 so a lot to do for the club to make anything but hopefully people want to and be willing to pay for a live broadcast.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 14, 2020, 03:43:57 pm by ravenrover »
How many were there for playoff 2nd leg?

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 14, 2020, 03:51:06 pm by rich1471 »
I think alot will buy the passes for away games its only £10 , an away ticket, beer and travel is  £50 easy so a know brainer for me

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 14, 2020, 03:52:33 pm by VivaRovers »
How many were there for playoff 2nd leg?

1,200ish... although as a percentage of the overall crowd it was probably less than the previous league and FA Cup meetings owing to Charlton fans abandoning their boycott/disinterest for the play-offs.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 14, 2020, 04:24:10 pm by drfc1951 »
I have got Chromecast plugged into my tv. I have opened ifollow in chrome but when going to the three dots cast is not there
I can use YouTube by chromecast but it appears you can’t cast from chrome on an iPad and I’ve made into desktop format.

I have an hdmi cable set up as well and can watch videos from the EFL app but can’t watch any game live on the tv.

Why cant you watch any game live on tv with hdmi cable?I have had ifollow since last season, and watched all the available matches that way without any problem.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 14, 2020, 05:16:31 pm by Chris the Rover »
I will be paying to watch on Ifollow. Not the same as being there, but another opportunity to watch my club play a game of football. I can’t understand why any supporter wouldn’t watch at that price, especially if it helps the club.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 14, 2020, 05:37:35 pm by Janso »
I will be paying to watch on Ifollow. Not the same as being there, but another opportunity to watch my club play a game of football. I can’t understand why any supporter wouldn’t watch at that price, especially if it helps the club.

Money might be tight for some people to be fair, especially with furlough coming to an end soon I can understand why some might be saving every last penny.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 14, 2020, 07:00:40 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Is there no app you can downloads on fire stick to watch on TV rather than laptop screens?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 14, 2020, 07:15:52 pm by Muttley »
Is there no app you can downloads on fire stick to watch on TV rather than laptop screens?

Laptop to TV works fine with a HDMI cable

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 14, 2020, 07:25:58 pm by sha66y »
Hard one to call really,
I think DM will probably stick with the same team,
he’s seen what the new lads are made of,
he’s seen where we lacked discipline
and barring injuries, i would imagine he has worked on ways to make it more solid especially in the middle....

Back 6 should be fine with hopefully Richards doing the Sheaf thing to make it 7, with Gomez in front of him to link with tulloch,JJ and Taylor

I see a draw, but hope for a cheeky win

I’ll pay my tenner cos it’s worth it

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 14, 2020, 09:02:03 pm by Donnywolf »

Laptop to TV works fine with a HDMI cable

Aye even I cracked that one (after assistance on here of course) lol

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 15, 2020, 10:33:18 am by selby »
  Charlton have a big cup  game v West Ham  to play tonight, which I hope they win really as I hope the free loaders at the Olympic Stadium fall flat on their faces.
  Having a high profile local derby game should give our management team a good insight to just how strong Charlton are at this moment, and what sort of pattern of play they prefer, as I would think they are looking at the game as one to enhance their profile as well as local bragging rights.
  Our own concentration must be on the training field and familiarization and the integration of all the new players with our own systems and formations that should show an improvement in teamwork  hopefully sooner rather than later.
  Personally I am quite excited that if we can harness the obvious individuel skills shown in flashes v MK Dons  an exciting season could lie ahead for us the supporters, I hope so anyway.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 15, 2020, 11:13:32 am by steve@dcfd »
The midfield is the place DM as to work on. Whether it’s Richards or Gomes both of their natural game is to go forward. Which means Whiteman has to sit more losing his ability and goal scoring in the final third. When Sheaf played he would cover Ben when he went forward.

Also when opposition fullbacks go forward then our two players in the front three must go with them and build from there. This week is important to get the cohesion right.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 15, 2020, 08:01:34 pm by dknward2 »
THey are 2-0 down at minute dunno how much of a changed team it is if at all.

Maybe a really good hammering could be good to demoralised them or could spur them on

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 16, 2020, 10:25:21 am by selby »
  The report on talk radio was very complimentary of the way Charlton had played the difference being the fire power of the Premiership side, so looks as if it will be a stiff test for us this weekend.
  The report said that they had played some excellent passing football and were a credit to the division.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 16, 2020, 12:05:49 pm by graingrover »
The only gulf between the Premiership and League one is in the money the players are paid but not the overall difference in performance ...witness Arsenal 1 v Rovers 0 ..including Alexi Sanchez and Giroud on one side and Alfie May and Copps on the other .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 16, 2020, 01:27:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
Just confirmed that Charlton v Rovers will be one of the trial games with 1,000 supporters allowed in the stadium. I would imagine these will be all home supporters, which entirely unsurprisingly is another stitch up for Rovers at their place after ‘Watergate’ and then the play off penalties farrago. Unexpected but a total joke yet again at The Valley.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 16, 2020, 01:41:45 pm by Campsall rover »
Just confirmed that Charlton v Rovers will be one of the trial games with 1,000 supporters allowed in the stadium. I would imagine these will be all home supporters, which entirely unsurprisingly is another stitch up for Rovers at their place after ‘Watergate’ and then the play off penalties farrago. Unexpected but a total joke yet again at The Valley.
The best way we can answer is by going there on Saturday and winning. No good moaning.
We know we are perceived as little old Donny. Well let’s go show them we are the real deal. Bring home the 3 points and show who we really are. A proper football club, run as it should be run and also damn good football team on the pitch also.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:10:25 pm by Campsall rover »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 16, 2020, 01:59:16 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I think we will have a tough time at Charlton. They played after lockdown and had nothing like the length of break we did, so IMHO they will be sharper while we still try to get some more cohesion.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 16, 2020, 02:02:06 pm by RoversAlias »
How is it a stitch up? I'm really glad fans will be allowed in to a Rovers game, no matter who they support.

Away fans are unlikely to be allowed at games this season, and if they can get reasonable amounts of home fans back in soon for all clubs it is a good thing, and this is a step in that direction.

Also, if as expected it is only home fans allowed at games for the foreseeable, then the return fixture at the Keepmoat will probably see several thousand Rovers fans and no Charlton fans which more than makes up for it anyway.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 16, 2020, 02:11:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Yeah. If this helps us end up back in the Keepmoat next month then I'm all for it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012