Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:30:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Charlton Athletic game  (Read 8219 times)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Charlton Athletic game
« Reply #60 on September 19, 2020, 05:08:50 pm by idler »
I was there when it was abandoned and on a cruise so didn't see the play off game.
A win today helps deaden the pain. Hopefully confidence will grow and we keep Ben Whiteman.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on September 19, 2020, 05:12:24 pm by drfchound »
  A great result and with two great struck goals,watch the buggers go out of business now just to get the three points taken off us. Didn't see many great players in their side Steve although they had a few names I knew.

That “going bust” scenario would be just our luck.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on September 19, 2020, 05:21:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Ultimate faith in DM. Even I was questioning his selections but looks like they've put in the hard yards on the training pitch!

Do the injuries to Tulloch and James look bad or too early to tell?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on September 19, 2020, 05:23:27 pm by scawsby steve »
  A great result and with two great struck goals,watch the buggers go out of business now just to get the three points taken off us. Didn't see many great players in their side Steve although they had a few names I knew.

It was all part of plan B Brian. Plan A was for me to stay away from games, then we'd win.

Plan B is to say we've no chance, so we then go on and win.

Do you like it?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on September 19, 2020, 05:24:41 pm by jmt23 »
James was cramp related according to the commentary, Tulloch looked a bit more serious, potential hamstring

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on September 19, 2020, 05:31:12 pm by selby »
OH YES STEVE, for gods sake don't change now.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on September 19, 2020, 05:38:25 pm by dknward2 »
A few people said that we played better after Tulloch went off still hope he is not injured for long

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on September 19, 2020, 05:40:13 pm by Lesonthewest »
Wow, what a performance that was, much the better team from back to front, some excellent performances from Halliday (best game for us to date), Richards, James, Gomes. But overall a great team performance, well done Rovers.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on September 19, 2020, 05:41:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
James was cramp related according to the commentary, Tulloch looked a bit more serious, potential hamstring

Cheers. Hope Tulloch is a quick healer but good job we have other options.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on September 19, 2020, 05:42:17 pm by NewDonny »
Wow, what a performance that was, much the better team from back to front, some excellent performances from Halliday (best game for us to date), Richards, James, Gomes. But overall a great team performance, well done Rovers.

Great result, delighted with that!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on September 19, 2020, 05:43:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Steve oh Steve ye of little faith.

Who are Williams, Washington, Gilbey & Bonne?

DM must have given the Shankly team talk. That was excellent. A lot of hard work has taken place on the training ground this week.

Taylor and Lokilo did the hard graft tracking back today and the whole team seemed to be in sink with each other.
Don’t like picking out individuals in a great team performance but I am going to.
Special mention for Joe Wright, he was immense this afternoon, possibly his best ever performance for us. I can’t recall him doing anything other than the right thing.
Tackles, interceptions, headers, clearances and even all his passes were accurate. So M.O.M. For me. 10/10

Gomes, is this the same Gomes as last season. Fantastic, he looked a proper mature footballer today. Just got caught out in possession a couple of times so 9/10

Halliday, is there a better or more consistent right back in League 1 ( if so who ) so 8/10 for him.
Bursik, Anderson, James, Whiteman, Taylor, Lokilo, & John-Jules i will give 7.5 & Richards 7
Think Richards needs to grow into that forward midfield role that Copps had last season. The lad has huge potential.

All 3 goals were great even the own goal !  Goals win matches and we were better than Charlton at finding the net.  Well deserved as we were the better team no question imo.  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:55:26 pm by Campsall rover »

Darren

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on September 19, 2020, 05:44:49 pm by Darren »
Really good result, we can only get better as the team gel together, happy days.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on September 19, 2020, 05:46:29 pm by RoversAlias »
A few people said that we played better after Tulloch went off still hope he is not injured for long

I wouldn't say that's anything to do with Tulloch to be fair - he was only on for 12 minutes!

His replacement Lokilo was the weakest player in our side overall I felt, but I'm sure it will come in time. Hope neither Tulloch or James are out long.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on September 19, 2020, 05:47:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Great to read the reports. Just seen the goals and wow, that was some trickery, skill and finish from John-Jules! Madgers wasn't too shabby either!

Well, the standards have been raised. If we can remain stingy in defence and create chances at the other end more often than not, it's a great recipe!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on September 19, 2020, 05:49:55 pm by scawsby steve »

OK, Rovers 0 Bristol Rovers 4 next week.

Seriously though, that was one hell of a performance today, and has restored my utter confidence in DM. The guy obviously knows what he's doing, and is instilling confidence in the players.

We looked like top 6 contenders today.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on September 19, 2020, 05:53:20 pm by Campsall rover »

OK, Rovers 0 Bristol Rovers 4 next week.

Seriously though, that was one hell of a performance today, and has restored my utter confidence in DM. The guy obviously knows what he's doing, and is instilling confidence in the players.

We looked like top 6 contenders today.
You fool SS your supposed to predict doom and keep well away from any ground this season.
If you do we will walk this league. :)

Oh you did SS I read it as a Rovers 4-0 win.
Well done. 3 points in the bag.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:57:39 pm by Campsall rover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on September 19, 2020, 05:57:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »

He wasn't on long tbf!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on September 19, 2020, 06:11:37 pm by dknward2 »
That will be one happy bus ride back to Donny tonight. DM will get another full week of training ready for next Saturday

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on September 19, 2020, 06:14:58 pm by dknward2 »

He wasn't on long tbf!

I thought it was harsh but I wasn't watching only listening so I went with what was said.

The change was right no point in pushing him on when we have young jason that needs game time

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on September 19, 2020, 06:19:21 pm by drfchound »

DM must have given the Shankly team talk. That was excellent. A lot of hard work has taken place on the training ground this week.

Taylor and Lokilo did the hard graft tracking back today and the whole team seemed to be in sink with each other.
Don’t like picking out individuals in a great team performance but I am going to.
Special mention for Joe Wright, he was immense this afternoon, possibly his best ever performance for us. I can’t recall him doing anything other than the right thing.
Tackles, interceptions, headers, clearances and even all his passes were accurate. So M.O.M. For me. 10/10

Gomes, is this the same Gomes as last season. Fantastic, he looked a proper mature footballer today. Just got caught out in possession a couple of times so 9/10

Halliday, is there a better or more consistent right back in League 1 ( if so who ) so 8/10 for him.
Bursik, Anderson, James, Whiteman, Taylor, Lokilo, & John-Jules i will give 7.5 & Richards 7
Think Richards needs to grow into that forward midfield role that Copps had last season. The lad has huge potential.

All 3 goals were great even the own goal !  Goals win matches and we were better than Charlton at finding the net.  Well deserved as we were the better team no question imo.  :thumbsup:

Gomes showed signs last season that he could be very good but was probably also adapting to his change of circumstances, not least being in another country.
I think he is showing now how good he can be.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on September 19, 2020, 06:21:50 pm by Filo »

Gomes showed signs last season that he could be very good but was probably also adapting to his change of circumstances, not least being in another country.

He spent 3 years at Liverpool and a Year at Leeds before he joined us, I think he would have been used to the Country already 😀

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on September 19, 2020, 06:33:03 pm by drfchound »

He spent 3 years at Liverpool and a Year at Leeds before he joined us, I think he would have been used to the Country already 😀

Of course, but I meant Gods own Country of course.
You can’t include Leeds in that either. LoL.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on September 19, 2020, 06:53:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Always interesting to see comments from the opposition fans. A couple of Charlton fans see us as a top 6 team.

More significantly, given our comments after our game last week, the following comment is the best compliment to DM and the players you can get.

“Thought Doncaster played well. Looked everything that we aren’t, a solId team which everyone knew their roles and worked as a team"

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on September 20, 2020, 10:53:03 pm by VivaRovers »

That was a guess made from quite a distance to be fair, but I do agree that Tulloch's injury looked to be of more concern.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on September 21, 2020, 09:20:49 am by Metalmicky »
Charlton boss admits he wanted to sign Tyreece John-Jules - but for their transfer embargo....

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-admits-they-missed-out-on-arsenal-striker/

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on September 21, 2020, 11:16:46 am by graingrover »
about Lokilo...I do not agree he was our weakest ..his energy and determined runs shipped  immediately he came on and was no doubt a factor in lifting the speed and energy of the whole team from then on .He too would improve as Gomes has done from the boost in confidence that regular selection gives .

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on September 21, 2020, 11:34:50 am by VivaRovers »
I'm with you there graingrover; Lokilo's running and movement off the ball made a big difference in the first half, and was a significant factor in getting us on top in the first half.

I think he's being unfairly judged on a couple of times in the second half when he made poor decisions (shot instead of passing, delayed a pass he could've given sooner). But those are the sort of things that he can, as you say, iron out with a prolonged run in the team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012