Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:58:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Bristol Rovers game  (Read 9714 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Bristol Rovers game
« on September 21, 2020, 12:08:07 pm by selby »
  We have had in our first two league games quite a swing in seven days as to how our supporters view the coming season, from a little pessimism to outright optimism after a draw at home which was a little fortunate and a great display and result at Charlton.
  Now for Bristol Rovers who had a great result the first week away at Sunderland getting a draw after leading for much of the game, to a disappointing 2-0 reverse against Ipswich Town at home last Saturday.
  Those two fixtures followed by our game on Saturday is not the start to a season I would really pick out if I was a manager, not an easy start at all, especially when Bristol, have had a big change in playing personnel, and losing their top scorer in the process who will be hard to replace. Their pick has been Hanlon who we were touted to be after from Gillingham a player with lots of potential although is considered wasteful in front of goal a trait I hope he keeps up for at least next weekend.
  Our win at Charlton has certainly lit the fires of expectation, and deservedly so after a great performance, but a word of caution I cannot see Bristol giving us the room in midfield we enjoyed in that game, certainly I don't expect us to be able to run into a great space directly in front of goal that Gomes had in front of him for his goal and that is not detracting from the way he accepted the invitation, he took the chance brilliantly.
  We have enjoyed some good days in the last couple of seasons against the blue half of Bristol let's hope we can maintain it.
  Is anyone really expecting changes except for injury from our line up v Charlton? I certainly am not, but with Darren saying he picks a side to complement who we are playing who knows? he certainly does his home work on our opposition and could tinker with the line up if he sees it as necessary.  Hanlon has the pace to cause us problems and did so in the cup game at Gillingham last season, but with so many new faces in their team I expect them to be a better unit later in the season.
   How do you see our team selection?
   If you are a non season ticket holder will you be buying a game pass for ifollow.
   Is this the game we get our first win at home this season?
   Can we make the Keepmoat the fortress we can base this season on?
   Do you think having no fans attending an advantage or a disadvantage to sides?
   Lots of twists and turns to come this season and lot's of opinions and questions to ask and answer,  please feel free to have your say and join in.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Bristol Rovers game
« Reply #1 on September 21, 2020, 12:57:21 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think you’ve called it about right, Selby. It’s far too early in the season to be predicting anything and also for much changed sides to gel as a unit. We did take a massive stride forwards on Saturday, there’s no doubting that, but it’s tempered with that ‘lucky’ first game at home, v MK Dons.

I can’t see there being many changes by DM, other than James and Tulloch, if they are unlikely to recover. The triangle of Whiteman, Gomes and Richards should continue, as the more they play, the better they’ll become, collectively and individually.

On the topic of having space, you’re right of course, but we saw on Saturday what we have by way of individual brilliance and a way of getting past even the tightest of defences. That was some strike from young Tyreece. On that same note, this game would also have suited Tulloch, but Lokilo showed enough technique on Saturday for him to be breaking through their ranks.

I hope we start this game a bit better and then maintain it for longer, as the slick passing and movement will break down any defence eventually.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 21, 2020, 01:04:51 pm by Jersey Rover »
Strong bench now so even with those injuries would think in come Lokilo and John both fantastic replacements

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 21, 2020, 01:08:48 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian we have done more than well for 2 seasons against those Pirates.

We have only lost 1 drawn 0 & won 10 since our return to the FL in 2003/4 + JPT win at Cardiff.
We are a serious bogey team to them over the last 17 years.

I am going to say no more because it will put the kiss of death on the result. Well just this.

I think we are playing them at a good time as they, like you said have a lot of new players and we will be buoyant after Charlton.

Football doesn’t often go to plan but i fancy us on Saturday.

When don’t i though.  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:10:01 am by Campsall rover »

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 21, 2020, 02:17:04 pm by wing commander »
I think it will be 10 games in before we can realistically start to see where we are in the pecking order.Most Teams in this league are running with a lot smaller squads and a lot less strength in depth than normal seasons,so i reckon even a average team who has a good run of luck with injury's can do really well..

After Saturday I think we were all surprised that he stuck with the same team that struggled against and lets be honest here a team in MK Dons who are expected to struggle again this season.Most expected Copps to start and a bit more height and strength up front too..DM was proved correct though and we had a great performance..

However what we get on Saturday is a guess..Brilliant or shocking,neither type of performance would shock me at this stage of the season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 21, 2020, 02:21:37 pm by RoversAlias »
I've just been rewatching the Charlton extended highlights and John-Jules has good physicality to his play, plus his press forced the defensive error that led to the opening goal. He's done more than enough to keep his spot in the team.

I also think I was maybe harsh on Lokilo because he did a lot of good in possession despite how easily he got knocked off the ball a few times. If he had to come in for Tulloch against Bristol Rovers I think he'd do fine.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 21, 2020, 03:49:49 pm by selby »
  Injuries apart after a performance like that at Charlton I personally would go along with the same side, but if watching the other sides performance as we now know is the approach Darren and his team take and analysing the results and pick the team he thinks suits the job of winning a game, so might tinker with selections.
  As we all think we know we are now astrong unit, but short in numbers and the cover is stronger in some positions than in others, and are still work in progress.
  As the season progresses the lads not currently starting are going to become more and more important and needed.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 21, 2020, 03:51:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Just checked not 8 but 10 wins + JPT
I have changed  it to 10 on above thread.

Some record that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 05:19:00 pm by Campsall rover »

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 21, 2020, 04:47:43 pm by BVB »
....to the great ire of the Bristol Rovers-supporting family of my other half..

eadiee73

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 21, 2020, 09:22:12 pm by eadiee73 »
BRFC fan in peace.
After two league games our manager is under pressure. Both games have seen us concede on the last 10 minutes. Whilst we haven’t played well we looked fairly secure on Saturday until two mistakes in the last few minutes. You can see what the manager is trying to do but it hasn’t happened yet.
With our recent record against you our forums aren’t confident so I would imagine you’ll go into the game as favourites esp after a good win on Saturday. It’s too early to draw many conclusions yet about the season, not that that has stopped our forum from being full of doom. I think we’ve recruited well in the summer with the new players being a step up from what we had. Our strengths, a very good keeper, Zain Westbrooke looks good on the ball, our 3 CHs have had two good matches except for Ehmers og near the end on Saturday, width through Mitchell- Lawson and Nicholson.
I’m hopeful more than expectant that we get something on Saturday but I’ve been a BRFC fan for over 50 years so I’m used to that.

UTG!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 21, 2020, 09:40:30 pm by sha66y »
Another comfortable well rehearsed performance from the DM roadshow,
I expect the team to be tweaked depending upon injuries and what Bristol are likely to do...

We are a bogey team so don’t expect a loss, a win is more likely...

These young lads have got to be over the moon with their performances so far, and must be chomping at the bit to get out there again..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 22, 2020, 12:12:05 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well you'd hope the overall performance gave every player a lift and did a great deal for team spirit and confidence.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 22, 2020, 11:02:01 am by selby »
Our approach is the key, there is not a lot between any of the teams in this division, even the fancied larger clubs have not pulled off any signings that have got the real wow factor, and have largely got the bulk of the same squads that have failed previously to get promotion, so carry the weight of doubt on their shoulders as to can they get up at last, and a fickle large set of supporters that are quick to turn on them at the first sign of weakness again.
  Bristol Rovers have done well in recruiting a decent squad, although losing goals up front which will be hard to replace when Clark Harris departed.
  They are well capable of upsetting our decent start to the season, and I am sure our management team will approach the game accordingly, and hopefully our form shown at Charlton will be carried on into this game, we will need it to be, Bristol I feel will become stronger as the season develops.
  Eidiee thanks for the contribution great to hear from you and have a great season apart from of course our two games with you, I am hoping our bogey team tag carries weight for at least another season, but good luck for the rest of it.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 22, 2020, 11:53:15 am by drfc1951 »
Our friend Mr Kettle in charge

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 22, 2020, 02:05:35 pm by selby »
  Has he got any friends? although he seems to like collecting autographs, publicity, and criticism.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 22, 2020, 03:58:02 pm by scawsby steve »
After today's announcement, I can't really get excited about Saturday's game, or the rest of the season.

It all feels a bit pointless now.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 22, 2020, 04:39:22 pm by the vicar »
Steve it’s never pointless mate, we have got 4 already lol.  There is a league to try and win so pointless it is not,  up the rovers

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 22, 2020, 04:46:22 pm by selby »
  Steve, it is just another thing in life to get over, I think that things will be let off the hook for Christmas mate.
  I think it will be a government objective with a vaccine available between now and Christmas, just a hunch by the way.
  Anyway if we win Saturday and happen to be in the top two, I may even  demonstrate for the season to be abandoned  and the promotion places and playoffs the same as last seasons decisions.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 05:15:38 pm by selby »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 22, 2020, 04:52:48 pm by the vicar »
That’s a nice thought Brian

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 22, 2020, 05:19:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
With people on a downer again. Watching Rovers could at least provide some entertainment and give us a bit of a lift!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 22, 2020, 05:28:31 pm by Alan Southstand »
Couldn’t agree more, DBR. I think this season is going to get very interesting.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 22, 2020, 07:20:18 pm by scawsby steve »
Couldn’t agree more, DBR. I think this season is going to get very interesting.

Until it gets halted.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 22, 2020, 07:28:53 pm by selby »
  Steve, things can only get better from here mate, get logged on at the weekend and enjoy the game whatever the result.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 22, 2020, 07:32:15 pm by dknward2 »
We just need to get as many points as possible and if they do halt the season push for the points per game

eadiee73

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 22, 2020, 08:20:48 pm by eadiee73 »
After today's announcement, I can't really get excited about Saturday's game, or the rest of the season.

It all feels a bit pointless now.

Yes, the announcements today will have put a real downer on the likelihood of being able to watch live football at any time soon. But I guess when that happens with winter, darker weather coming we’ll all be looking for something positive to cotton on to and if your team has a good start to the season that will help. In the big scheme football is important but not as much as other stuff at the moment.
Keep safe everyone!
Up the Rovers! 😉

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 22, 2020, 08:25:04 pm by drfchound »
We just need to get as many points as possible and if they do halt the season push for the points per game

Peterborough might object though.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 22, 2020, 09:21:21 pm by rich1471 »
I know we cannot be in the stadium, but  before kick off their must be a way of the fans been able to see each other and chat live like a zoom meeting or teams to discuss the team,last weeks performance and just seeing old friends before the game is part of the experience as typing in front of a screen is not the same, My dad comes to my house to watch the match so for me that is part of the pleasure just been with my dad at football   

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 23, 2020, 06:44:34 pm by selby »
  Bristol Rovers have strengthened their mid field with a season long loan of Luke McCormick from Chelsea, an area of the team that their supporters saw as a weakness in the opening games this season according to their forum posts.
  This third tier is now fast becoming quite a proving ground for good young future stars from Premiership academies and at least the standard of play should be an improvement.
  The big question is for clubs is, would you rather have an absolutely fantastic tactical and all round manager, or a name who is not that good as a tactical manager but has fantastic connections at the top level clubs.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 23, 2020, 07:18:18 pm by Chris the Rover »
In DM I think we have both, Selby

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 23, 2020, 07:24:46 pm by Alan Southstand »
My only concern for Saturday is consistency. We’ve had one very ordinary game v MK and one above average game. We don’t really know what to expect just yet.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012