Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:53:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Bristol Rovers game  (Read 9752 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Bristol Rovers game
« Reply #90 on September 26, 2020, 06:51:13 pm by Campsall rover »
I'm friends with a Pompey fan and she reckons everyone's had it with Jackett.
Out of fashion maybe.  :chair:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on September 26, 2020, 06:57:24 pm by NewDonny »
Think everyone is getting a bit carried away regarding Pompey & Peterborough. I seem to remember they were both very slow out of the blocks last season as well but got stronger as the season took shape.

Much as I would love to see both of the fail this season it is still very, very early days and a long season ahead (hopefully!).

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on September 26, 2020, 07:01:46 pm by besty »
Really think the bigger teams ie Sunderland and Pompey gonna miss their home fan support

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on September 26, 2020, 07:04:26 pm by rich1471 »
 Woud people settle for promotion even if it it ment watching a season on ifollow

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on September 26, 2020, 07:23:09 pm by Lesonthewest »
What another great performance & excellent 3 points, so much to admire today. Well done Rovers, that was worth more than the tenner we paid. Whiteman MOTM for me today.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on September 26, 2020, 07:27:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
And the even better news is that DM wasn’t satisfied. He said we have to be much more ruthless.

Have we got a manager, or what?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on September 26, 2020, 07:33:31 pm by idler »
Really think the bigger teams ie Sunderland and Pompey gonna miss their home fan support
As somebody commented before, the empty stadium factor at both Sunderland and Portsmouth could lose them a few homer decisions and points this season.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on September 26, 2020, 07:35:31 pm by drfc1951 »
Woud people settle for promotion even if it it ment watching a season on ifollow
I would, deffo.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on September 26, 2020, 07:36:26 pm by adamtherover »
I bet John Marquis regrets moving there.
I was thinking this afternoon about how our goals 100% revolved round John,  this team already has shown there are goals everywhere, and decent goals at that. Not just tap ins on the line... Copps and BW will fancy bagging a few as the season unfolds. Plus our big no. 9 who I thought was cast iron to be our top scorer. !!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on September 26, 2020, 07:40:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Definitely Alan. Heard his interview and you can tell his work ethic is second to non and it seems to be rubbing off on the players.

Having coached at the highest level, he has set the benchmark quite high. He knows in the Prem, if you are sloppy, you get punished so he is insistant on that work ethic whilst also encouraging players to use their natural flair. Also composure is a big factor in winning football matches.

With the rate of improvement with this squad, its going to be an exciting one!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on September 26, 2020, 07:44:02 pm by selby »
  One of the big differences between the two sides today Campsall touched on.
  I also thought that the pace of the game told on them in the second half and was a big difference in the two sides and even Coppinger looked a very sprightly player, and still has the capability at this level to get away from his marker, a great testimony to the fitness trainers and coaches, as has been said a very long way to go if the league runs it's course, but anything like the end of last season means teams need to be up there from the off and stay there if possible, easier said than done.
  All we really have is a decent start, something to be happy with but not something to let us be detracted with, the aim must be to keep the show rolling as this season could prove to be different to any other we have seen before, with breaks in it that could really disrupt form.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on September 26, 2020, 07:56:54 pm by Campsall rover »
Agreed Brian.
Our 3rd goal killed them. They couldn’t keep up with our energy levels after that. We look a very fit side, still running flat out in the 96th minute.

Just to add we played a decent team today. There are plenty of teams who will finish below Bristol Rovers imo. Think they may struggle to score enough goals to finish in the top 8/9 but mid table is where i think they will be.

Also think MK Dons will be top 14/15 and Charlton top 12 so all in all we have really done well to find a style of play so quickly with so many new faces in the squad.

It bodes well. We have possibly the best coach and man manager in League 1 imo.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:58:59 pm by Campsall rover »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on September 26, 2020, 08:01:32 pm by Alan Southstand »
Commented about Bristol Rovers pressing (and physical) tactics in the first half and said they’d not keep it up. The thing is, as teams do get fitter as the season wears on, we will be challenged more thoroughly, but equally, we’ll also improve, so it’s going to be interesting. Next Saturday will be a big test.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on September 26, 2020, 08:08:14 pm by dknward2 »
As they get fitter we will also get fitter.

Next Saturday will be the hardest game so far

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on September 26, 2020, 08:11:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
As they get fitter we will also get fitter.

Next Saturday will be the hardest game so far

I think that's how DM will insist on viewing it!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on September 26, 2020, 08:16:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm struggling to decide if Bristol Rovers are a reasonable, hard working side that we just swatted away today.

Or if they were truly shite and we really should have put 7 or 8 past them.

Anyone?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on September 26, 2020, 08:24:44 pm by selby »
  A team with no confidence but could ruffle some feathers as the season progresses if Hanlon starts to add goals to his game he will be quite some player.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on September 26, 2020, 08:25:19 pm by scawsby steve »
I'm struggling to decide if Bristol Rovers are a reasonable, hard working side that we just swatted away today.

Anyone?

In their first 2 games BST, they were up against 2 fancied teams, and were leading in both games until very late.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on September 26, 2020, 08:31:37 pm by Campsall rover »

Anyone?
Gave my opinion above BST.
I think they are decent. Goals win matches. We scored first which was hugely important. Up until then they made it difficult for us with their pressing and physicality. We just simply had too much for them and yes could very easily have scored 7
We missed 3 which were easier than 3 of our 4 goals.  We were very very good. The evidence was we did it last week also, away at a decent team.  We are going to surprise a few. The bookies have certainly underestimated us.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on September 26, 2020, 08:38:19 pm by drfchound »

Anyone?

Bristol showed signs that indicated they aren’t a bad side but I just think we were too slick for them.
Their back line did try to bully our lads and I was surprised that it took up until nearly half time before their two CBs got booked.
We should have put half a dozen goals away today but I think we might be saying that a few more times this season.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on September 26, 2020, 08:59:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Football can be as simple or as complicated as you want. Quite often there isn't that much difference between teams but a 10‰ swing in a teams favour can make all the difference.

DM has done his stuff to try and make the difference by having that advantage before the whistle blows in having a group of players that are well prepared, drilled, and have a great deal of skill, pace and belief at their disposal.

Generally, the teams who make the fewest mistakes and maintain that consistency throughout a season will do well. If you add match winners to that, what have you got?

How many matchwinners do we have in our squad?

As last season showed we have goals from all over the park and we're not as reliant on a goalscorer as some other teams may be.

I think it's a good observation above with teams might not be able to live with us providing the players don't drop their standards.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on September 26, 2020, 09:29:28 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Eadiee73, thanks for the input it is always great to hear the oppositions  opinions on ourselves, as for comparing us with Sunderland and Ipswich I think a few teams in this league will more than match them on the field of play.
  They are yesterdays men to me who are having a bad time adjusting to their surroundings, and with supporters who will turn on them at the slightest slip up sad to say.
  Whether empty stadiums will be to their advantage or not remains to be seen, certainly crowd pressure has resulted in us as a club being on the wrong end of atrocious decisions at both places in recent years, a tackle at Ipswich and physical wrestling of our defenders at Sunderland certainly still leaves me feeling cheated and the former going a long way to costing us relegation from the Championship as the point would have kept us up. But they may gain from the lack of expectancy from their large crowds when things don't go so well on the pitch.
 To me they are now what they are deservedly, two Division 1 sides who used to play in the top tier of English football.
  You pose just as big a threat to where we want to be in this division and we need to play and be at our best to overcome your team.
   If we can carry on the standard of play we achieved at Charlton we will be a team to be reckoned with at this level, consistency now being the thing we have to try to achieve, but I am not expecting your team to give us the same room to play  in midfield that we had at Charlton so watching the game will be interesting for both sets of supporters to see if the sides can progress against different formations.

Agree with much of that. We felt it was a good time to play Sunderland when the SOL was empty which I think it was and we did really well in the first half until Parkinson had a go at them and we relied on our keeper to keep us in the game. We were accused by Parkinson of gamesmanship, wasting time and acting up after frustrating them in the opening game it was ever so ironic. Last season McGuire went down like he was dead to get our Ogogo sent off and they score straight after we went down to 10 men. Parkinson likes to give it out but doesn’t like to get it given back. Ipswich however looked good in the two matches we played them and I’d be surprised if they don’t do well, even if Lambert isn’t liked by the fans. They at least try to play football the correct way whereas Sunderland moaned and complained their way through our match, going at the referee. They might be basket cases but I think they’ll still be there or thereabouts come April, if we get that far!
We’ll likely be without Nicholson our attacking winger/ midfielder which might mean Westbrooke pushes forward to accommodate Upson but to be honest it’s hard to guess what our team will be. We’ll likely only play one forward and pack midfield but they can get bullied out of it by bigger, stronger teams. Are you one of those?
In patches we pass the ball very well and our midfield do look comfortable on the ball but with few options up front, so far. Fingers crossed for a point at least tomorrow.
Up the Rovers!
Eadie, you do realise there is only one Rovers and it isn’t Bristol. Thought I better let you know as you keep putting “up the Rovers “ at the end of your posts. We all think you are a DRFC fan. So change it to up the ‘Pirates’ or up the ‘Gas’.
Oh by the way where on Earth do those nicknames originate from.
I would be interested to know.
Thanks and all the best after today of course and excepting the return match at the  Memorial later in the season. ( If we get that far )
Campsall, we were also called the Pirates by some at one time.
The Green Un used to have a little cartoon type logo for each team's match report. We had a pirate, Chesterfield a crooked spire, Rotherham a windmill and so on.
Happy days, I think one pirate even looked like our player manager Norman Curtis at the time.

Red and white checked hanky on his head   :)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on September 26, 2020, 10:01:53 pm by ravenrover »
 :coat:

eadiee73

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on September 26, 2020, 10:27:46 pm by eadiee73 »
To answer those who’ve asked if we were rubbish or DRFC are a very good team:
We played like a team with no confidence once we went down. You lot may find this hard to believe but we played better today for longer periods than we did in the last two matches and you still beat us easily. I thought Doncaster played really well and you were far slicker in the attacking third whereas our striker always got the ball with his back to goal. I thought we’d get something today but your manager had the right tactics and ours dint have a clue. Two years ago after you won at the Mem Darrell Clarke went. I hope history repeats itself this week which should happen with us bottom.
Not many silver linings today perhaps only Joey Barton’s Fleetwood and Posh getting beat.
Anyway well done and good luck.
UTG!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on September 26, 2020, 10:43:58 pm by bpoolrover »
I thought Bristol were a decent team certainly in the 1st half, once there team gels I think they will easily finish mid table

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on September 27, 2020, 06:46:15 am by Alan Southstand »
They, like Peterborough, are finding it difficult to adjust to losing your main man up front. Similarly, we had that same problem last season. This season, we’re finding it difficult to pick from 2 good ones.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on September 27, 2020, 08:53:28 am by Campsall rover »
To answer those who’ve asked if we were rubbish or DRFC are a very good team:
We played like a team with no confidence once we went down. You lot may find this hard to believe but we played better today for longer periods than we did in the last two matches and you still beat us easily. I thought Doncaster played really well and you were far slicker in the attacking third whereas our striker always got the ball with his back to goal. I thought we’d get something today but your manager had the right tactics and ours dint have a clue. Two years ago after you won at the Mem Darrell Clarke went. I hope history repeats itself this week which should happen with us bottom.
Not many silver linings today perhaps only Joey Barton’s Fleetwood and Posh getting beat.
Anyway well done and good luck.
UTG!
Surely you don’t want him sacked already. You have only played 3 games. It sometimes takes a while to gel all the new players.

You have got to remember you have played the 3 best teams in the league.  :) :) :)

Thanks for your kind comments and interesting to see you are no fan of Fleetwood & Peterborough also.
All the best.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on September 27, 2020, 08:56:30 am by Chris Black come back »
Peterborough haven’t scored a single goal in normal time of their three league games yet, and have drawn two blanks. Their two goals came in stoppage time in the Fleetwood game. Clearly finding life difficult adjusting post Toney and Maddison.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on September 27, 2020, 12:36:49 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
The nickname  "The Gas"  is connected with the old gas works at the side of their ground with the smell passing over.

Yes the gasworks always made gave Eastville a kind of gas smell. But we only became known as the gas because Bristol C***, the 82 ers, called us gasheads as an insult. But we quite liked it and turned it around into a positive and started to adopt the name.

Sorry for saying Up the Rovers, it was my attempt at humour seeing as we are both Rovers! It obviously failed.

UTG!

just thought i would mention a useless fact i discovered last week  . i was looking at the teams competing in the extra early rounds of the facup and picked on one .with a ridiculous name ( in the world of CLH) .... decided to check where they were and found out they were the oldest football club in Bristol ,,  meaning older than both Rovers and City and still going.

eadiee73  please refresh my memory what they are called

for all of you who couldn't sleep last night waiting to find out the ridiculous name of the oldest team in Bristol it is of course

Roman Glass St George F.C.  they recently got knocked out of the Facup in a preliminary round . St. George apparently is a Bristol Suburb.

Roman Glass St George Football Club is a football club based in the Bristol suburb of St George, Bristol, England. Founded in 1872, they are the oldest club in Bristol. They are currently members of the Western League Premier Division and play at Oaklands Park, South Gloucestershire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Glass_St_George_F.C.

eadiee73

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on September 27, 2020, 12:54:12 pm by eadiee73 »
The nickname  "The Gas"  is connected with the old gas works at the side of their ground with the smell passing over.

Yes the gasworks always made gave Eastville a kind of gas smell. But we only became known as the gas because Bristol C***, the 82 ers, called us gasheads as an insult. But we quite liked it and turned it around into a positive and started to adopt the name.

Sorry for saying Up the Rovers, it was my attempt at humour seeing as we are both Rovers! It obviously failed.

UTG!

just thought i would mention a useless fact i discovered last week  . i was looking at the teams competing in the extra early rounds of the facup and picked on one .with a ridiculous name ( in the world of CLH) .... decided to check where they were and found out they were the oldest football club in Bristol ,,  meaning older than both Rovers and City and still going.

eadiee73  please refresh my memory what they are called

for all of you who couldn't sleep last night waiting to find out the ridiculous name of the oldest team in Bristol it is of course

Roman Glass St George F.C.  they recently got knocked out of the Facup in a preliminary round . St. George apparently is a Bristol Suburb.

Roman Glass St George Football Club is a football club based in the Bristol suburb of St George, Bristol, England. Founded in 1872, they are the oldest club in Bristol. They are currently members of the Western League Premier Division and play at Oaklands Park, South Gloucestershire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Glass_St_George_F.C.

Interesting CLH. St George’s had a few good runs in the old Amateur Cup back in the 60s. I didn’t know they were the oldest club in Bristol so thanks for that.
Do you know the newest club in Bristol? Of course it’s that load of ***** south of the river. Went bust in 1982, didn’t pay the people they owed money to so several other businesses in Bristol went bust. They reinvented themselves, as Bristol City 1982, and now they try and tell everyone they’ve been going since 1897! And they try and lord it over us with their “we’re richer than you lot of rag-bags”, the irony of it.
Anyway I’ll stop there, this is a Doncaster forum not a two club city forum.
As a reply to Campsall, no I don’t really want to sack anyone after three games but unfortunately it’s since Boxing Day and things aren’t getting better. Only two league wins since then. The excuse last season was not his own players now they are but his record isn’t getting any better. Pretty sure most clubs’ fans would be beginning to ask questions of the manager if you had a record of 2 wins in about 25 matches.
UTG!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012