Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:57:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wigan Athletic game  (Read 13083 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Wigan Athletic game
« on September 27, 2020, 01:43:58 pm by selby »
  I suppose the big question is will this game take place, as it is under attack from two different problems the main one being the Covid pandemic and the other Wigans ongoing financial problem.
  As John Sheridan has said they still have some good players at the club which is surprising considering how in the past other clubs have picked over carcasses of clubs in trouble and players even quicker to jump ship while kissing the badge a week or so before.
  Certainly we will have to be aware of set pieces around our own box after the demonstration of his skill by Tom James with his terrific strike at Portsmouth yesterday.
  He and Jones the keeper were selected for the FL paper team of the week together with our own Wright and Richards  so lots of in form tallent on show in what should be a tight game.
  Although being mostly on the defence for most of the game at Portsmouth they mostly dealt with Portsmouths attacks easily so Sheridan looks to be getting them well drilled at the back.
  We should be able to go into the game in confident mood as a team in free scoring form, and a team that looks not only committed but full of pace and skills, and only a couple of injuries spoiling things at the moment. The scoring of goals has took the eye, but our form has been built on a solid defence at the back, and a midfield that going forward has chipped in with goals and in Whiteman probably the best player in that area of the field in Division 1 and is no mean striker of a dead ball from free kicks himself.
  Coppingers brilliant  cameo yesterday in the second half may give Darren  a selection problem, so
  What team would you Pick?
  The last time we played at Wigan we got absolutely hammered, can we get our revenge?
  Would you still like a couple of new signings in certain areas?
  Is it a game you would have gone to if crowds were allowed?
  Will you be buying an ifollow pass for the game?
  Lot's of questions to be discussed and chewed over in the next week
  Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wigan Athletic game
« Reply #1 on September 27, 2020, 02:28:28 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
when someone scores form miles out (dont know whether it was wind assisted see below) early on it can test the mental strength of a team. It was one of those do it again please type (and the bloke can't). I got the goals mixed up but the above can often apply . The stunning goal came second and was in fact the killer !!

here we have the bbc report

"A stunning 30-yard free-kick from full-back Tom James secured a first League One win of the season for Wigan, who increased the pressure on Portsmouth manager Kenny Jackett with victory at Fratton Park.

The visitors took the lead six minutes before half-time when Lee Evans fired home from 12 yards after good work by former Pompey loanee Viv Solomon-Otabor caused a scramble in the penalty area.
I SHOWED ON HERE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO HOW TRASH THE PORTSMOUTH DEFENCE WAS - WHEN MARQUIS WAS DEFENDING ON THE GOALINE
In a wind-dominated encounter, the Latics used the conditions to their advantage just before the hour mark when James' free-kick deceived home goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray, who could only help the ball on its way into the net.

Pompey, who had failed to score in their first two league games, did not test Wigan stopper Jamie Jones in the first 85 minutes.

The south-coast side grabbed a lifeline a minute from the end of normal time when substitute Ellis Harrison lashed home from John Marquis' nod down.

But the late goal was not enough to ruin Wigan's celebrations."

i see no  problems here for "Team Doncaster"

see this thread

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=277608.msg984868#msg984868

even more bad Portsmouth defending here

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12059278/stevenage-3-3-portsmouth-3-1-pens

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:35:16 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 27, 2020, 03:03:19 pm by NickDRFC »
What team would you Pick?

I don’t know enough about Wigan to know if we should make any changes but I’d be happy to go with the same starting team again. Hope to see Tulloch back on the bench.

The last time we played at Wigan we got absolutely hammered, can we get our revenge?

Why not, we are playing well and Wigan aren’t the force they were last time they were in this league.

Would you still like a couple of new signings in certain areas?

I’d still like to see two more that I think most would also like - a more defensive minded/deep lying central midfield option and cover at right back. Other than that I think we’re pretty well stocked throughout.

Is it a game you would have gone to if crowds were allowed?

No, but only because I live a long way away. If crowds had been allowed back and I was coming from Doncaster I’d have been happy to go.

Will you be buying an ifollow pass for the game?

Definitely!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 27, 2020, 06:55:21 pm by graingrover »
I do hope Tulloch is fit to play soon and does get more opportunities to integrate with the team . That would give us a full complement of forwards to go into a very busy October schedule of matches.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 27, 2020, 07:43:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Can't help thinking about the possibility of lightening striking twice and the game being called off, although reasons might be different despite Wigan being no nearer finding a buyer.

Anyway, carry on from where we left off. Same starting XI for me with Copps to come on later on.

Think we need to be wary of giving away free kicks around the box. Their free kick yesterday was a screamer!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 27, 2020, 08:16:12 pm by drfchound »
This Wigan situation is becoming very similar to the Bury one last season.
It is just drifting along.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 27, 2020, 08:18:24 pm by sha66y »
Tough game to call seems as we know little about them of late,
However, we are in a great vein of form, scoring freely and putting in a very good shift..
We do seem to start 10 mins slower than the opposition, but we haven’t been tripped up yet...

1-0 to the Rovers, ( Gomez)

Watched on my iPad

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 27, 2020, 11:50:20 pm by RobTheRover »
Should be a good game. 2 sides on a high. We are scoring for fun and they got a good win (on paper) at Pompey

2-0 to the rovers. Copps to open his account for the season.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 28, 2020, 09:04:59 am by Alan Southstand »
Our toughest test so far, in my opinion. Having said that, we beat Charlton, but then so did Lincoln. I think it may well be a more physical battle on Saturday, but the young lads seem up for it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 28, 2020, 09:29:56 am by selby »
 The result either way on Saturday may have no bearing at all on our position if their financial and take over positions do not alter, and with the Covid position with crowds being unable to attend games any potential owners must be thinking twice about any buy out.
  It is a game we need to approach like any other with the attitude that we need and want to win, but I fear ultimately Wigan will do well to survive and could go to the wall in the not too distant future.
  A team already in administration, with millions of pounds of debt, and the current situation of no light at the end tunnel of paying customers being allowed to attend games in the near future must be a fair bet that they are wound up in the near future.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 28, 2020, 09:35:00 am by DonnyOsmond »
Our toughest test so far, in my opinion. Having said that, we beat Charlton, but then so did Lincoln. I think it may well be a more physical battle on Saturday, but the young lads seem up for it.

I think Charlton are in a better position with their team than Wigan are. They still have a few quality players like Fox and Garner but have replaced a lot of the better ones with inexperienced lower League kids. We will be favourites going into this.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 28, 2020, 11:25:00 am by Michael Shaw »
I do feel we have some giants in our league like Charlton, Wigan, Hull, Sunderland and Ipswich who should be easily dominating our league, but obviously aren’t. For a small South Yorks town Rovers usually punch above our weight with the right choice of manager. If we can maintain our current momentum I think we can create problems for every club in this league. I'd say we are the favourites on Saturday.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 28, 2020, 11:40:07 am by Campsall rover »
I do feel we have some giants in our league like Charlton, Wigan, Hull, Sunderland and Ipswich who should be easily dominating our league, but obviously aren’t. For a small South Yorks town Rovers usually punch above our weight with the right choice of manager. If we can maintain our current momentum I think we can create problems for every club in this league. I'd say we are the favourites on Saturday.
Small South Yorks Town!!!  Excuse me 309.000 people in DMBC
We are the largest Met town in the country which isn’t a City.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 28, 2020, 11:43:52 am by DonnyOsmond »

And bigger land size than Leeds or Sheffield.

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 28, 2020, 11:58:14 am by rover-n-out »
🤣😂🤣 Blimey, those stats are impressive, I think we should call ourselves Doncaster Rovers Metropolitan Borough!!

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 28, 2020, 12:13:49 pm by Michael Shaw »
Trusts 2 tw4ts to find something negative in what I said.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 28, 2020, 12:35:29 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Although Wigan are having their troubles off the pitch, it would be a big statement of intent to get something at the DW.  :bbscarf:

I wouldn't change anything regards starting XI - it's all coming together and clicking nicely. Although, I'd like to see Fej get more game time.

I do agree that we need a cover player for RB and maybe an attacker to bolster that side of the squad.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 28, 2020, 02:15:28 pm by bedale rover »

Wigan MBC was 320,000 but it is a large area with various small towns in the area
Wigan itself is about 180,000?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 28, 2020, 06:17:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Wigan MBC was 320,000 but it is a large area with various small towns in the area

It matters not the population of each metropolitan Borough to what Micheal was saying. All the clubs he mentioned are deemed to be bigger clubs due to a combination of size, history and achievements.

We can argue Wigan have punched above their weight for sometime but it could easily be our turn to do the same once again!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 28, 2020, 07:06:17 pm by Campsall rover »

And bigger land size than Leeds or Sheffield.
That is correct but we can’t count the cows and sheep in the fields as residents.  ;)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 28, 2020, 07:13:39 pm by Campsall rover »
Trusts 2 tw4ts to find something negative in what I said.
Wasn’t finding anything negative MS just pointing out we are not a “small South Yorks town” that’s all.
There is no way we should have an inferiority complex about the town.
For the size of the two towns we should be swapping places with Burnley in the football league pyramid.
For the size of the Borough and catchment we are one of the most under achieving Football League clubs in the Country.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 28, 2020, 07:21:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Meanwhile, seems Pompey can't afford to sack Jacket.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-league-one-rivals-make-big-decision-under-fire-manager-calls-sack-him-intensify-2985724

Certainly would intensify pressure on him if we go on to beat their victors in their own back yard!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 28, 2020, 07:41:30 pm by Chris Black come back »
They need to be financially viable so the Marquis money gets paid!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 28, 2020, 07:51:54 pm by dknward2 »
Slowly but surely these boom or bust clubs are going to really start to struggle

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 28, 2020, 08:47:18 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Meanwhile, seems Pompey can't afford to sack Jacket.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-league-one-rivals-make-big-decision-under-fire-manager-calls-sack-him-intensify-2985724

Certainly would intensify pressure on him if we go on to beat their victors in their own back yard!

Quote from the DFP: “It’s understood it would cost in the region of £400,000 to cancel Jackett’s contract which ends next summer.” What? Just how much are some League 1 managers earning? Can’t see Darren on anything near that! No wonder Pompey are currently losing £5M.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 29, 2020, 08:55:09 am by Campsall rover »

Similar to us in size and structure with all the surrounding villages.
They have indeed over achieved really as it’s a Rugby League stronghold and Wigan’s football league history only goes back to the mid 70’s
They had a certain person called Dave Whelan who invested huge sums to achieve Premier league status & an FA cup win.
Shows what is achievable but also shows when a brilliant owner like Whelan & family sells the club on, what can happen.
Boom to Bust. Massive warning to all clubs with ambition. The owners are KEY.

I just hope when the time comes for Terry Bramhall to call it a day our club doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:16:26 am by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 29, 2020, 10:06:45 am by drfchound »
Camps, you better start saving up mate.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 29, 2020, 12:49:28 pm by selby »
  Hound, Camps would not be the right owner, he would only loan and sign Weeds rejects, anyway he is a tight bugger.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 29, 2020, 05:24:00 pm by the vicar »
To hard to predict, but I would definitely start with copps in there as he gives us something else

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 29, 2020, 06:50:15 pm by ss1953 »
Wigan have just signed a loan defender from Leicester:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54345793

TinyPortal © 2005-2012