Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:25:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oldham Athletic game  (Read 7625 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Oldham Athletic game
« on October 03, 2020, 07:51:40 pm by selby »
  Some people will feel this fixture is not important, I will state now it is to me.
  I think that we need to put out a strong side and win the game, anything else would be a disappointment.
  Oldham had a good result at Colchester coming back from 2-0 and 3-2 to get a credible draw 3-3 so will be looking to build on that result at our expense.
  Putting Fergie, Jones, Amos,  and Williams in for either a start or a good run in the game I don't see as weakening the team, but sharing the work load, or for that matter any of the substitutes who were on the side line today, more of players being given a chance to stake a place and getting game time when the season is really only four games in.
   So what would you do? myself as stated would be changes  within the squad picked today, as at sometime they are going to have to step up to the plate.
   Will you miss the thrill of being there in person on a typical soggy windy Ice station Boundary Park night?
   Will you be buying a game pass for this game? (the club needs us to)
   Does this competition hold any more attraction to you this season?
    Even this game holds some importance for the club this season as far as finances are concerned, they need as many as possible to buy a match pass in all cup games please do so if you can afford it, and have your say on the game.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oldham Athletic game
« Reply #1 on October 03, 2020, 08:21:07 pm by dknward2 »
We need to win and win big build up the confidence of the players

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 03, 2020, 09:34:42 pm by scawsby steve »
  Some people will feel this fixture is not important, I will state now it is to me.
  I think that we need to put out a strong side and win the game, anything else would be a disappointment.
  Oldham had a good result at Colchester coming back from 2-0 and 3-2 to get a credible draw 3-3 so will be looking to build on that result at our expense.
  Putting Fergie, Jones, Amos,  and Williams in for either a start or a good run in the game I don't see as weakening the team, but sharing the work load, or for that matter any of the substitutes who were on the side line today, more of players being given a chance to stake a place and getting game time when the season is really only four games in.
   So what would you do? myself as stated would be changes  within the squad picked today, as at sometime they are going to have to step up to the plate.
   Will you miss the thrill of being there in person on a typical soggy windy Ice station Boundary Park night?
   Will you be buying a game pass for this game? (the club needs us to)
   Does this competition hold any more attraction to you this season?
    Even this game holds some importance for the club this season as far as finances are concerned, they need as many as possible to buy a match pass in all cup games please do so if you can afford it, and have your say on the game.

First of all Brian, we don't want Fergie back, especially as a player. Just joking.

Seriously though, we haven't much choice than to put out a strong team. As I've said in another thread, we've only 20 senior players, and most of our youngsters are out on loan.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 04, 2020, 12:38:51 pm by steve@dcfd »
Yes  I will be buying a game pass for this game.
Amos may not be available if gets called up.
So not much choice but to play a strong side.
Jones for Bursik
John for James
Butler for Anderson or Wright
Williams for Copps
Okenberie for John Jules

Bench will have youth Keeper
Either Anderson or Wright
Blyth
James if he’s fit
Hassani
Coppinger
??????
As the U20 game is not played until
13th Oct will JJ still be at the club for this game?

Lokilo and Tulloch injured
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 12:44:59 pm by steve@dcfd »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 04, 2020, 12:50:44 pm by danumdon »
Bar the call ups I would expect a strong side not just through necessity but also for the team to get straight back on it, we don’t become a poor side overnight but  I would say DM will be looking for a big improvement in personal and team play.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 04, 2020, 01:10:44 pm by selby »
  Certainly it is a chance to let the bench on Saturday have much needed game time, although I would try and mix it up starting a couple, and bringing others on if the game position allows, rather than having wholesale changes from the start.
  An interesting point will be the supporters who avoid at all costs supporting this competition will they put their feelings aside and support the club by buying a game pass to help the club out financially, I hope they do it could be at last a game in this competition we can cover costs, certainly the team selection should create some pregame interest.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 04, 2020, 01:34:45 pm by selby »
  Would we dare have a midfield containing Ravenhill and Hassani on the field at some stage of the game? I would like to see it if we have a chance in the later stages of the game.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 04, 2020, 01:40:41 pm by since-1969 »
If DM is having difficulty in drumming into the players , the meaning of being ruthless when you create your chances  , then the game at Oldham should allow him to see where he feels it’s not being taken on board . We out played Wigan AND created good opportunities but failed to drive home the advantages gained from good possession.  Worth  a tenner to see Rovers put the wheels back on in style .

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 04, 2020, 02:06:07 pm by the vicar »
At he moment they need to learn to play together, as it showed yesterday in the second half some of the time our left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing and we need to play more together, especially if our game on Saturday is going to be off

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 05, 2020, 10:20:38 am by EasyforDennis »
  Would we dare have a midfield containing Ravenhill and Hassani on the field at some stage of the game? I would like to see it if we have a chance in the later stages of the game.

Agreed Selby. However I would go a stage further and play Hasani from the start in place of Richards. The only way we are going to see if our own players are good enough is to play them in a competitive game. I do think sometimes we get obsessed with having to play loan players at the expense of our own lads.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 05, 2020, 01:17:12 pm by selby »
  I find the situation now intriguing with this game.  The game to me has taken on a different situation with the result at Wigan on Saturday.
  If we had won the game (as we should have) most would have expected at least some changes if only to integrate other players in case of them being needed in future league games as they most likely will be needed.
  In the case of Jones Ravenhill and Hassani there is the excitement to see if the club really do have players we have nurtured ourselves and are good enough to come into the team when needed and play at first team level and do well. Jones in his fist game certainly converted a lot of doubters as to his ability to shine and I hope he get's the chance to confirm it.
  Amos is another most have confidence in and should if he plays be looking at getting into the team on a regular basis, hard with James in front of him, but that has to be his aim.
  Which way the manager approaches his selection for a game we must be looking to get back on track in is another mystery I can't wait to see the outcome of, personally I would like to see us have a couple of staged changes and not wholesale from the start, but hey what do I know.
  Whiteman has become our most important player, how we would cope without him is a conundrum we may need to solve for more than one reason, other clubs being one as well as injury. He is one player I would consider having on the bench at the start and held in reserve if needed.
  So lots of interesting permutations, as well as a need for a look at other players on the fringe, Fergie getting a full game under his belt is a must and could form two up front with JJ, Amos also if he is available needs a full game.
  A game I am looking forward to if Lawlor plays another situation of interest, and their come back at Colchester giving Oldham some confidence no doubt, get your pass and Bring it on.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 05, 2020, 01:30:07 pm by selby »
   Will our game being cancelled on Saturday make our approach to this game slightly different now?  All three players JJ, Amos, and Bursik are unavailable for the Oldham game joining their squads today.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 01:38:31 pm by selby »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 05, 2020, 01:42:35 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Are Horton and Greaves allowed to play?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 05, 2020, 04:32:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
   Will our game being cancelled on Saturday make our approach to this game slightly different now?  All three players JJ, Amos, and Bursik are unavailable for the Oldham game joining their squads today.
Game on Saturday is cancelled because the three away on international call up also No James swollen knee, Tulloch and Lokilo so DM felt we would be too short in the squad to go ahead.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 05, 2020, 04:36:17 pm by steve@dcfd »
Are Horton and Greaves allowed to play?

Both Redditch and Gainsborough have games tomorrow so I don’t believe they will be available.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 05, 2020, 04:59:53 pm by Dutch Uncle »
According to their official site Gainsborough's Tuesday game against Nantwich has been postponed Would that enable AJ to play?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 05, 2020, 07:33:03 pm by steve@dcfd »
According to their official site Gainsborough's Tuesday game against Nantwich has been postponed Would that enable AJ to play?

Not sure but be nice to have for bench at least.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 06, 2020, 11:34:40 am by selby »
  One thing different about this game is I think it will be the first one I have watched there without being cold and wet.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 06, 2020, 12:17:38 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
I'm interested to see what the starting XI will be.  :bbscarf:

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 06, 2020, 12:29:03 pm by eastender »
  One thing different about this game is I think it will be the first one I have watched there without being cold and wet.
Go and watch it in the back yard then ,if you want it to feel more realistic.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 06, 2020, 12:36:09 pm by foxbat »
no where on earth is as cold and wet as the visitors stand at boundary Park

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 06, 2020, 12:56:14 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Game on Saturday is cancelled because the three away on international call up also No James swollen knee, Tulloch and Lokilo so DM felt we would be too short in the squad to go ahead.

Rovers v Shrewsbury was a game in the sky sports super six !!! (sky didnt do there homework did they  ) so thats fcked that up unless they put a substitute match in  :crying: :crying: :crying:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 06, 2020, 01:00:50 pm by Donnywolf »
Didnt notice when I had a quick squint at the "Super" 6 - and may have been there but gone now

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 06, 2020, 01:10:05 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Didnt notice when I had a quick squint at the "Super" 6 - and may have been there but gone now

i did my predictions at exactly the same time when i showed you all that we had a boris johnson competing. I just checked and all my predictions have been erased and set to 0-0  and of course no Rovers match.    and no email letting me know so a lot of people are going to get caught out this week !!!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 06, 2020, 02:00:54 pm by Filo »

Grimsby when the North wind blows off the Estuary 🤪

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 06, 2020, 02:56:59 pm by turnbull for england »
Hartlepool, any time of year

Juddy

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 06, 2020, 04:19:29 pm by Juddy »
Hartlepool on the hottest day of the year !,

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 06, 2020, 04:31:04 pm by drfchound »

York City when it hammers it down with rain on a winters night.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 06, 2020, 04:38:30 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

Christ. That just reminded me of when they knocked us out the Carling cup (whatever version it was) the other year when Rob Jones was in charge.

We were absolutely shite & barely worked their keeper.

Lost 0-1.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 06, 2020, 04:48:26 pm by drfchound »

Christ. That just reminded me of when they knocked us out the Carling cup (whatever version it was) the other year when Rob Jones was in charge.

We were absolutely shite & barely worked their keeper.

Lost 0-1.

I was there mate, which is why I suggested it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012