Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:25:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oldham Athletic game  (Read 7624 times)

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oldham Athletic game
« Reply #60 on October 06, 2020, 09:38:42 pm by StocksArmy »
Too many nice footballers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on October 06, 2020, 09:39:45 pm by dknward2 »
Bet lawlor is pissing himself laughing

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 06, 2020, 09:41:00 pm by Bessie Red »
Halliday has had a mare, Fejiri has not been good enough, Taylor done nothing, Gomez flattered to deceive, John Jules ineffective, no menace up front, overall a poor team performance. We should be imposing ourselves more on teams in the lower reaches of Lg 2.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on October 06, 2020, 09:41:18 pm by selby »
I absolutely give up with us in cup competitions we must be the worst performing side in the country

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 06, 2020, 09:42:08 pm by Campsall rover »
2nd half we were shocking. Oldham wanted it more than we did which is very disappointing.

Can’t have 70% possession in the 1st half and not score. You will end up paying and 2 games running we did.
We need to be much more ruthless in front of goal.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 06, 2020, 09:42:15 pm by sha66y »
At least I don’t have to part with another tenner..... could’ve got a nice bottle of Prosecco for the price of that shite.....

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on October 06, 2020, 09:43:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
We still need another midfield player and all the forward players need to start taking chances. Whether they are loan players or permanent players.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on October 06, 2020, 09:45:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Just hoping this doesn’t go the same way as last Saturday
spoke too soon....
How has the ref given them the free kick for their goal though??
That was a clear foul on Joe Wright.  Shocking decision but we can’t use it as an excuse for that 2nd half performance.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on October 06, 2020, 09:47:07 pm by drfchound »
Joe was strongly making that point to the ref.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on October 06, 2020, 09:48:35 pm by selby »
  Another lesson in how to throw money down the drain, every year the same old same old. We must be every division 2 teams dream draw to say nothing of non league teams having every chance against us.
  I don't think they even realise the situation the club is in they need to try and attract people to pay for broadcasts and that was one of the best examples of how to lose peoples interest.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on October 06, 2020, 09:48:56 pm by roversdude »
Other than that I thought the ref was really good.
Reminds me of the early SOD days nice football no end product.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on October 06, 2020, 09:53:25 pm by the vicar »
We gave the bloody ball away far to many times, Halliday first half, Whiteman and Gomes second half just to mention a few
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 11:00:45 pm by the vicar »

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on October 06, 2020, 10:04:43 pm by StocksArmy »
I think for those who backed Fej after the 1st game can now give their heads a wobble. Taylor......... no idea how hes made a living in the game. Midfield 3 look like they have played too many minutes already as they have gone missing in the 2nd half of the last 2 games. Positives are ball retention, link up play and balls around the corners and through the thirds upto the striker is really impressive. But once that ball goes into the striker we never go anywhere from there. A Chris Brown completes this team. That and 1 more midfielder and weve cracked it.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on October 06, 2020, 10:05:20 pm by since-1969 »
Well there’s another tenner I won’t need to pay again .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on October 06, 2020, 10:06:25 pm by drfchound »
I think for those who backed Fej after the 1st game can now give their heads a wobble. Taylor......... no idea how hes made a living in the game. Midfield 3 look like they have played too many minutes already as they have gone missing in the 2nd half of the last 2 games. Positives are ball retention, link up play and balls around the corners and through the thirds upto the striker is really impressive. But once that ball goes into the striker we never go anywhere from there. A Chris Brown completes this team. That and 1 more midfielder and weve cracked it.

I saw Brownie last week.
He still looks in good shape.......

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on October 06, 2020, 10:14:06 pm by Padge_DRFC »
White man is carrying our midfield. Taylor richards looks a player for all of about 5 minutes a game. Strolls around like he's Berbatov. Annoyingly could be a right handful. Gomes his goals have covered things up slightly.
Can't fault defence really. A free kick that crept in and Gomes giving the ball away for the second with a rubbish touch.
Fej had a mare. Lack of game time? Sulking? Certainly didn't prove a point.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on October 06, 2020, 10:27:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Halliday has had a mare, Fejiri has not been good enough, Taylor done nothing, Gomez flattered to deceive, John Jules ineffective, no menace up front, overall a poor team performance. We should be imposing ourselves more on teams in the lower reaches of Lg 2.

Gomez is the new Sharpe/Ostler.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on October 06, 2020, 10:31:05 pm by drfchound »

Gomez is the new Sharpe/Ostler.

Well all three spell their actual names differently.  :chair:

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on October 06, 2020, 10:37:45 pm by danumdon »
White man is carrying our midfield. Taylor richards looks a player for all of about 5 minutes a game. Strolls around like he's Berbatov. Annoyingly could be a right handful. Gomes his goals have covered things up slightly.
Can't fault defence really. A free kick that crept in and Gomes giving the ball away for the second with a rubbish touch.
Fej had a mare. Lack of game time? Sulking? Certainly didn't prove a point.

Agree with that, I thought the defence was solid and strong Wright and Anderson dominated their men, Halliday was having to drift forwards and into the middle again to cover for a lack of continuity from the middle three, I think John had his best game at left back for us , was strong and worked hard up the left bringing himself into play throughout. Jones was unlucky with the first goal, had a decent game with good quick distribution, didn't let himself down.

The midfield as anchored well by Whiteman again his passes were safer than sat and less wasteful but the movement up front was static and slow. Gomez tried with plenty of effort but the game passes him by, Richards to me is playing out of position and is struggling, he effected very little for his effort and should of been first off for Williams.

The front three did not jell at all, i thought swapping JJ and Fej around to start may bring dividends but the hunger and determination you expect from your forwards was very tame and barely bothered Lawler who looked like a bit more pressure and he would of punched one in for us.

Very disappointing performance against very ordinary opposition, DM has much to work on.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:41:39 pm by danumdon »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on October 06, 2020, 11:11:45 pm by selby »
  Add that result to Rochdale, Notts County, Grimsby Town, Scunthorpe United, Bradford City, Newcastle u23s,  all teams at the time in poor form themselves when we played them and we give them the lift of a free pass into the next round.
  We have played two bottom half division 2 sides and have not even looked like scoring a goal against them in open play. and are in the distinct danger of being out of two cup competitions before the end of October, just what the club needs when it needs every penny it can lay its hands on, and could well go out of the FA cup in the first round as well.
  Certainly every non league side as well as league sides have little to fear from our history in cups  if they are drawn against us, historically we are piss poor.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on October 07, 2020, 01:25:05 am by scawsby steve »
I've said now in 3 or 4 threads over the last few days that we're at the very least two players short.

We've never replaced Marquis's goals since he left, and we've never replaced Sheaf in defensive midfield.

On top of that we've only 20 senior players which is simply not enough to carry injuries and suspensions.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on October 07, 2020, 01:37:33 am by scawsby steve »
  Add that result to Rochdale, Notts County, Grimsby Town, Scunthorpe United, Bradford City, Newcastle u23s,  all teams at the time in poor form themselves when we played them and we give them the lift of a free pass into the next round.
  We have played two bottom half division 2 sides and have not even looked like scoring a goal against them in open play. and are in the distinct danger of being out of two cup competitions before the end of October, just what the club needs when it needs every penny it can lay its hands on, and could well go out of the FA cup in the first round as well.
  Certainly every non league side as well as league sides have little to fear from our history in cups  if they are drawn against us, historically we are piss poor.

Brian, you're talking as though we didn't take this game seriously enough. That's not true; DM put a strong team out, but the truth is, for 2 games on a trot we couldn't put chances away, and couldn't compete for 90 minutes.

Now that is a real worry with some of the big games that are coming up soon, and more of a concern to me than the possible exit from a cup competition.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on October 07, 2020, 06:32:10 am by godlike1 »
I think these two games have bought a dose of reality back to everyone who thought we were nailed on to go up.

Its proven to me that there is not enough strength in depth in midfield especially.

We need a defensive midfielder without question as Ben cannot do it all himself.

Its shown that if teams press us that we have no plan B and the players struggle to pass the ball. That's DMs area and he needs to get the team to cope and fight when that happens to be able to win ugly.

Its widely known thats how you et out of this division

Without an ability to scrap for every point it won't be long till we start dropping down the table.

Being more ruthless in front of goal would help too of course

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on October 07, 2020, 07:30:13 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Still, we are creating chances just not taking them in the last two games. We will improve on that I'm sure.

Fejiri had a chance last night and didn't take it. It will be interesting to see how he performs in coming games as he has to do something to force himself in to the team.  If he can't do that then you have to question his mentality as he clearly has the ability.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on October 07, 2020, 07:34:01 am by graingrover »
danumdon ..keep,posting like that ..a good analysis !

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on October 07, 2020, 08:45:49 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just because we have poor periods in games, you can't keep replacing players. The goals dry up, we need a new striker. The midfield gets disjointed or overrun 'We need a Wellens type', the keeper makes a mistake. 'We need a new keeper'.

Nobody says these things when we are dominating for large periods in games. Sure there are elements of the game that seem to go missing for whatever reason and it's down to DM and the players to figure that out. The players are very capable. Had we have taken first half chances, it's a whole different ball game.

It's been mentioned about the similarity to SO'Ds team with excellent passing football but little end product. It seems at times we are trying to walk the ball into the net, just as we did under SO'D, yet opposition teams seem to be able to get clean strikes off on goal more easily. It's just maybe a symptom of confidence ebbing somewhat and players opting to pass responsibility on rather than take it themselves. Maybe the fear of cocking it up which spreads through the team.

I just think our problems are much more of a mental aptitude and approach rather than ability. It's not uncommon especially when the longer chances go begging, it's harder to get out of that rut.

DM doesn't need to go back to the drawing board and redesign everything just because we've had two successive poor second halves on the back on two excellent first halves!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on October 07, 2020, 10:02:42 am by selby »
  Steve, I have never said that we didn't take this game seriously, the big difference between this game and the others I mentioned was that we did pick a team to win the game.
  The thing is it is just another game in cup competition where we have failed miserably, and at a juncture in the history of the club and game when we can little afford it.
  This season every game in cup football is the only real opportunity to at least build interest for on line income above what we would normally get. The league games we get nowhere near parity to the norm, the EFL  saying the average is about a third of normal income up to press.
   The club can get absolutely nothing from cup competitions if they are not in them, which is the norm for us, we are sh*te at it, with teams of different line ups year after year going out in the earliest of rounds, The last three games Gillingham Bradford and Oldham, three teams not as good as ourselves drawn one lost two , absolutely pathetic.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:14:19 am by selby »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on October 07, 2020, 10:30:26 am by EasyforDennis »
What disappointed me last night was why we didn't bring one of our youngsters on and see how they performed. Why couldn't DM have brought Hasani on for Richards (who wasn't having the best of games) to see how he could perform.
We are going to learn nothing about how good our kids are by sitting them on a bench for 90 minutes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on October 07, 2020, 10:46:30 am by selby »
  In  cup football over the years we have not been a surprise scalp for lower teams, we have been a push over, while teams like Lincoln, Peterborough and Newport have made progress at league level by building on the income cup runs have brought in and the interest of the local supporters for the clubs.
 While we still talk of playing Everton and Liverpool all those years ago, and the run we had under Penney, and the trip to Arsenal, the only bright sparks in the long history of failure, what would we give for the excitement this season when it is so sorely needed.
  We had a game in our grasp last night, had a break and came out like eleven strangers. and were no better than a non league side and showed no pride or effort, and got exactly what we deserved.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:51:20 am by selby »

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on October 07, 2020, 10:58:42 am by RugbyRover »
Too many nice footballers.

Maybe the manager's too nice.

I'd love it if he started throwing a few teacups about at half time. That would make a few buck their ideas up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012