Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:01:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Portsmouth game  (Read 9225 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Portsmouth game
« on October 12, 2020, 11:16:43 am by selby »
  After the disappointments at Wigan and Oldham and a blank weekend so naturally falling behind other teams in the table, getting some sort of result at Portsmouth is looking important to keep supporter interest.
  Lack of supporters at games is now I feel is starting to tell on peoples interest in football, politics in the game also upsetting and worrying for supporters of smaller clubs like ourselves who are now having the total lack of leadership by governance at present and in the past 30 years thrust in their face to the detriment of the game as a whole.
  Some of the old leaders of the game must be turning in their graves at the spivs that have been allowed to take over the running of the game at professional level, yesterdays announcement showing just what a set of shit houses are in the game.
  Enough of that and on to the subject of yet another game without fans allowed and against a team that because of their great support in numbers are suffering more than most allegedly losing £700k a month.
  We are probably meeting them at the wrong time having won a couple although reports of their form in the games not being good, and their manager being under supporter pressure to leave the club.
  Portsmouth is a place we have probably played some of our best football over the last few seasons, in what have always been  tight games of quality at our level.
  Naylor and Harrison seem to now be the preferred strike force, Naylor especially being one to watch with Marquis our old favourite not hitting the highlights at Pompey and now playing somewhat of a bit part as a substitute ( yes I would have him back in a heartbeat).
  With players like Curtis, Harness,Morris, Naylor, Cannon, all still plying their trade there it will not be long before they find their stride and get among the top sides, hopefully they will still be in slumber mode at the weekend.
  As for ourselves putting a full game together, and not coming out like strangers after half time wouldn't be a bad tactic.
  Hopefully we will see the benefit of some training ground improvements and also hopefully  a return of injured players into the mix, and most importantly the ability to convert some of the chances we have spurned in the two recent games we lost when being in total control of the game, as Mr Clough senior said, "it only takes a moment to win a game of football" make the best use of them moments.
  What Team would you play? I don't see many changes from the Wigan game personally.
  Are you buying a game Pass for what is a very important game?
  Do you expect anything from the game?
  Are you beginning to fear for the future of this season even being concluded?
  Would you have John Marquis back at the Rovers ?
  Lots of things to discuss and everyone is welcome to join in and  have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Portsmouth game
« Reply #1 on October 12, 2020, 11:27:35 am by Bristol Red Rover »
I wonder how a certain supporter of theirs is coping? Probs got a job as a steward, or co commentator?

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 12, 2020, 12:48:09 pm by godlike1 »
yes, him and feji would be a great combination.

Magicman

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 12, 2020, 01:00:51 pm by Magicman »
We need to close them down all the time when we dont have the ball and make ourselves a real pain in the arse. And get the ball in the net

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 12, 2020, 01:05:38 pm by roversdude »
I suppose another thing to throw into the mix is the closure of the transfer window - hopefully no outgoings from us

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 12, 2020, 04:52:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
I was hoping for a couple of incomings, but DRFC rhetoric has put paid to that!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 12, 2020, 05:42:13 pm by scawsby steve »

We've still got a loan spot left Alan. I would expect that to be used on a defensive midfielder, which we desperately need if we're to challenge for a top 6 spot.

A squad of 20 senior players isn't enough IMO.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 12, 2020, 05:44:03 pm by since-1969 »
We are decent side with a solid back four and an experienced midfield , I’m confident even if we couldn’t bring in more players we’ll make progress to challenge for playoff place at worst .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 12, 2020, 05:47:17 pm by scawsby steve »
yes, him and feji would be a great combination.

On current form, who would be left out to accommodate Fej? At the moment he's awful.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 12, 2020, 05:50:21 pm by scawsby steve »
We are decent side with a solid back four and an experienced midfield , I’m confident even if we couldn’t bring in more players we’ll make progress to challenge for playoff place at worst .

So what happens when we get a huge crop of injuries and suspensions?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 12, 2020, 06:26:29 pm by RugbyRover »
Really looking forward to this saturday tuesday saturday run of games. The tables going to start shaping up very quickly and we'll see where we stand.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 12, 2020, 07:18:01 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Darren stated he would be happy to have six loans again this season so who knows 2 might come in

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 13, 2020, 01:32:57 pm by Alan Southstand »
Since1969 wrote
experienced midfield
. Really?

Only Taylor and maybe Whiteman could be deemed experienced imho. Yes, maybe if and when Copps plays, it becomes a bit more, but Copps will be used sparingly this season.

Gomes, Richards, Lokilo and Tulloch are all young inexperienced lads.

We need to balance it up with someone that has league experience.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 13, 2020, 02:18:53 pm by graingrover »
We could be without JJ who was not included in the England squad according g to Liam Hoden .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 13, 2020, 02:50:33 pm by Alan Southstand »
Do you mean we may have JJ back, Graing?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 13, 2020, 03:16:37 pm by NickDRFC »
Do you mean we may have JJ back, Graing?

He was in the England Under 20 squad but wasn't involved in the game they played earlier today. If he was unable to play in that game due to injury then he might not be fit for Saturday.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 13, 2020, 03:27:25 pm by VivaRovers »
What Team would you play?
I’d swap in Okenabirhie for John-Jules - leaving the latter to be more of an impact sub, but don’t no whether Moore would. Otherwise unless Tulloch or Lokilo are fit again we’re looking at same as last time out.

Are you buying a game Pass for what is a very important game?
No. Still can’t get in to watching football via a laptop on a Saturday afternoon. Much prefer to attend a game whilst I still can.

Do you expect anything from the game?
I never expect anything, but you’re always hopeful. Fratton Park has always been an intimidating ground to play at in the past, but with no fans that’s out the equation at least. They're still a strong side though. Play like we did against Charlton and we’ll win. Play like we did against MK and we definitely won’t.

Are you beginning to fear for the future of this season even being concluded?
Yeah, but then from the moment it started this was always a likely concern.

Would you have John Marquis back at the Rovers ?
Absolutely. I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 13, 2020, 03:29:47 pm by sha66y »

“Huge crop”
I’m afraid no team would be able to plan for that no matter how big a squad.....
I guess we would have to call the game off if it was that bad a problem..

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 13, 2020, 06:05:08 pm by scawsby steve »

“Huge crop”
I’m afraid no team would be able to plan for that no matter how big a squad.....
I guess we would have to call the game off if it was that bad a problem..

There's a massive difference between how teams plan for it, dependant on the size of their squads. I'd call 6 players out a huge crop, and that figure can easily happen. A club with the average amount of around 25 senior players can just about carry that. With just 20 senior players we'd be left with 14 for the matchday squad, with 4 youngsters on the bench.

As regards calling it off, there's no chance of that. Clubs have been known to have a whole first team out, and have still been refused a postponement. Which makes my p*ss boil, when they then allow a club to postpone a game because 3 players are called up for p*sspot international friendlies.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:08:19 pm by scawsby steve »

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 13, 2020, 06:30:49 pm by Janso »
I think you can call it off if you only have 14 senior pros can't you? either that, or that's the minimum.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 13, 2020, 07:48:53 pm by scawsby steve »
I think you can call it off if you only have 14 senior pros can't you? either that, or that's the minimum.

I think Martin will know. I may be wrong, but didn't SOD once have about 11 or 12 players out, but was refused a postponement?

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 13, 2020, 07:55:41 pm by Guernsey Exile »

I think Martin will know. I may be wrong, but didn't SOD once have about 11 or 12 players out, but was refused a postponement?

Yes, was it v Ipswich?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 13, 2020, 09:21:11 pm by Janso »

Yes, was it v Ipswich?

Norwich. Jason Euell and Franck Moussa (remember him? plays for Gillingham now!) made their debuts I think.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 13, 2020, 09:24:10 pm by andysly »
I'm sure it was Ipswich...0-6 at home, we had Shiels as lone striker ha ha

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 14, 2020, 09:36:16 am by roversdude »
It’s easy to call a game off just ask Bolton

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 14, 2020, 09:52:47 am by roversam »
I'm sure it was Ipswich...0-6 at home, we had Shiels as lone striker ha ha
yes I remember that 6-0 defeat by Ipswich, Gary Woods had a nightmare game, and it was my daughter Claire's  birthday, she still mentions that game quite often, especially on her birthday.😒

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 14, 2020, 10:53:05 am by idler »
Sam Hird had a poor game by his standards that night. When it was 0-5 we hit the bar and the ball bounced down and I was more or less in line and was sure that the ball was over.
True to form it wasn’t given and they went straight to the other end and scored number six. It seemed a long drive home that night.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 14, 2020, 12:55:25 pm by ravenrover »
And it was peeing it down when I got home. Had to leave my car at my pals house to take it for service next day and walk home about a mile via the pub got absolutely soaked

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 14, 2020, 02:38:50 pm by idler »
I'm always glad to get home after games like that. The problem is that after thinking about the game for an hour driving home I'm always too wound up to go to sleep so a late night gets even later.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 14, 2020, 02:54:42 pm by drfc1951 »
Connor Whickham scored a hat trick for them,i think it was his debut.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012