Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:56:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Portsmouth game  (Read 9238 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Portsmouth game
« Reply #30 on October 14, 2020, 07:17:51 pm by drfchound »
I remember only too well, Wickham taking the piss with his celebrations in front of the south stand.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 14, 2020, 08:21:53 pm by RoversAlias »
Wickham did make his debut against Rovers but in a 3-1 win for us, not that 0-6. He was well on his way to a big move by that point, and it isn't the game we wanted calling off - aside from naming youth team striker Brad Grayson on the bench we had a first team squad available, just missing a few key players.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 15, 2020, 03:51:28 pm by selby »
   There is a slight possibility that we may have an addition to the playing staff for this game if we get the signature over the line in time if the rumours are true.
   With the present situation the club management team have really done us proud with their backing of the team at a bad time for club finances, let's hope it is not at the expense of Whiteman going, alright if we get the value we put on the player, I can go with that, it is business and we can't hold the lad back especially at this time, but we must get top dollar, we have been taken for mugs enough over the years.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 15, 2020, 05:46:57 pm by scawsby steve »
   There is a slight possibility that we may have an addition to the playing staff for this game if we get the signature over the line in time if the rumours are true.
   With the present situation the club management team have really done us proud with their backing of the team at a bad time for club finances, let's hope it is not at the expense of Whiteman going, alright if we get the value we put on the player, I can go with that, it is business and we can't hold the lad back especially at this time, but we must get top dollar, we have been taken for mugs enough over the years.

Brian, I'm normally the pessimist, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised tomorrow with 2 loan signings, and Ben still here.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 15, 2020, 06:48:22 pm by Janso »

Brian, I'm normally the pessimist, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised tomorrow with 2 loan signings, and Ben still here.
Someone knows something... can it be shared in "the other place"?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 15, 2020, 06:54:11 pm by scawsby steve »

No mate, just a hunch; but my hunches are usually good.

Apart from on BB's PvO. I'm f*cking rubbish at that.

andysly

• VSC Member

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 15, 2020, 11:46:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Really looking forward to the game. It will be a very welcome distraction

Just hoping for a good performance after DM's had a bit more time to work with the players and put the two recent defeats behind them. I hope the players understand how they can help everyone by providing a bit of a lift.

Under the current circumstances, if DM and the club can pull a rabit out of the hat, and add to the squad without losing anyone, I will be over the proverbial moon! I will be happy with the status quo if nothing happens!

Roll on Saturday!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 16, 2020, 06:41:41 am by Donnywolf »
I'm sure it was Ipswich...0-6 at home, we had Shiels as lone striker ha ha
yes I remember that 6-0 defeat by Ipswich, Gary Woods had a nightmare game, and it was my daughter Claire's  birthday, she still mentions that game quite often, especially on her birthday.😒

... and I always mention it on my birthday because I was in Lanzarote with a big birthday due. I knew in my luggage I had a Shirt with my name on it and a number 6-0

I "died" when I saw the score knowing I had to wear my Shirt the following day and walk round with 6-0 on my back

2 days later I was outside my "room" in the complex and a couple walked towards me. I recognised the man and thought (as you do) must be the bloke I met yesterday or in that pub the other day - then it dawned on me. The man sits 4 to 5 seats to my left every home game LOL

That was his first day there and he did catch the 0-6 before setting off on holiday

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 16, 2020, 06:46:29 am by Donnywolf »

No mate, just a hunch; but my hunches are usually good.

Apart from on BB's PvO. I'm f*cking rubbish at that.

Are you in Super6 - cos if you are as bad as you say you will fit right in ! There are 143 Members listed but in truth only 123 are "active" and there are some previous winners in the 20 ish that are not taking part this time round

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 16, 2020, 02:10:49 pm by selby »
  Well the last time we signed a couple of loan players near to a game, the first game of  this season, they were surprisingly thrust straight into the side.
  So who would bet that Josh Sims and any other signing we might make today is not thrown in at the deep end tomorrow at Portsmouth.
  So even more interest and unknowns in the game and reasons to purchase a game pass on ifollow.
  Will they play or sit it out? if they do who will make way for them? will we actually sign another player before the end of this window? will we lose a player to another club? have the club any more surprises up their sleeve before the Portsmouth game?  and are you happy the club are trying to strengthen before the two hard games against Portsmouth and Ipswich?
  Lots to discuss before the game tomorrow.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 16, 2020, 02:13:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Sims has played regularly for Saints U23s this season so I expect him to go straight in to be honest. We shall see.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 16, 2020, 02:46:57 pm by Alan Southstand »
According to Liam Hoden, ‘the other player’ is already at Cantley Park. So, it’s my guess, he’ll be in the squad and, maybe, the team tomorrow.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 16, 2020, 02:56:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes most likely, as they normally hold one announcement back just to make sure the opposition can't plan for it. They could do the same of course!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 16, 2020, 03:19:47 pm by selby »
  In the most unusual of seasons I have got to admit my admiration for the management and their also unusual team building exploits.
  The people behind the club have backed the playing staff and supporters all the way with exciting young players being brought to the club'
  Whatever happens this season we at least have tried to produce a competitive side when it would be easy for the board to be conservative with funds and sit the situation out, but they have shown ambition and it is a big thank you from me.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 16, 2020, 03:41:45 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’m not sure ambition is the right word, Selby, but I get your drift. The Board have backed the manager/talent spotter by bringing in some very good potential, but that potential may or may not be realised.

If we’d signed 2 or 3 reasonably experienced lads (like HK, for example), I would have said that was showing ambition and especially if it was backed up with some astute loans (like Lincoln have, this season).

Due to the circumstances, we are where we are and I’m happy that we have some (potentially) exciting young lads to watch, albeit on TV, or laptop, or whatever. I can’t really call where it’s going to get us this season, as a bit of inconsistency has already been in evidence, but it’ll be interesting to see how things develop.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 16, 2020, 04:45:09 pm by RoversAlias »
If these players take us up then the ambition of the club cannot be faulted at all, and it would give us a platform to make signings like the one Barnsley made today - over a million for Herbie Kane on a four-year deal. That is the aim here, the calibre of signings we have made shows fans more than enough in my opinion.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on October 16, 2020, 04:47:06 pm by selby »
  Alan,  the players we have just signed maybe young, but one has played in the Premiership on a number of occasions and abroad in a countries first division, the other is a current Welsh international player and a member of probably the strongest reserve side in the country and understudies to one of the best club sides in the world, a class of player we have rarely had the ambition to sign in our past.
  I am gob smacked.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 16, 2020, 05:35:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The least we can do is sign up to iFollow and watch the match tomorrow.

In DM we trust!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 16, 2020, 07:04:32 pm by scawsby steve »

Zippedy doo dah, zippedy hey, my my my what a wonderful day.

Tell you what Brian, would you like me to make a hunch on all these threads?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 16, 2020, 08:15:51 pm by selby »
  Mystic Steve from now on mate, but the hints and signs were there, but how poor is our rumour mill know? I think I would drop Whiteman to defensive mid now and cash in on his experience.
  It doesn't need to stop him going forward if the opportunity arises just the other midfielders to be disciplined enough to drop in and cover, which is part of their learning curve, and should be drummed into them anyway no matter who plays that position.
  Exciting times get your ifollow passes ready.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 16, 2020, 08:34:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
Possible team/squad:

Bursik
Halliday. Wright. Anderson. James
      Smith.   Whiteman
Taylor.   Richards.   Lokilo.
           Okenabirhie

Bench: Jones. John. Gomes. Sims. Coppinger. JJ (if fit). Butler

Looks ok to me!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 16, 2020, 08:55:28 pm by scawsby steve »
Possible team/squad:

Bursik
      Smith.   Whiteman
           Okenabirhie

Looks ok to me!

Do we know if Lokilo's fit? Other than that, it' a question of Richards or Gomes for the central attacking midfielder.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 16, 2020, 08:59:59 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Possible team/squad:

Bursik
      Smith.   Whiteman
           Okenabirhie

Looks ok to me!

Do we know if Lokilo's fit? Other than that, it' a question of Richards or Gomes for the central attacking midfielder.

Team looks good. Agreed it looks like it'll be between those two. Personally i'd go Gomes after winning player of the month. Richards would be quality to come off the bench when legs are tiring

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on October 16, 2020, 09:16:34 pm by selby »
  I am not into selections of teams the manager does that, but what I want is for a consistent performance, and t take the chances when they come along.
   Not sit down  at half time and come out for the second half like a bunch of strangers.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 17, 2020, 11:17:15 am by Alan Southstand »
I think the manager will also have Tuesday in the back of his mind, when selecting today’s team.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 17, 2020, 11:59:50 am by steve@dcfd »
Whatever team is selected if we get chances we must be clinical if we had been in the last two games we would have won them both.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on October 17, 2020, 01:01:35 pm by drfchound »
I think the manager will also have Tuesday in the back of his mind, when selecting today’s team.

One game at at time Alan.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 17, 2020, 01:28:43 pm by NickDRFC »
We’ve just had a week off, playing twice in four days shouldn’t be an issue for any players who are fully fit.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on October 17, 2020, 01:40:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Whatever team is selected if we get chances we must be clinical if we had been in the last two games we would have won them both.

I think that's the thing that worries us. Since Gomes' goal at home to Brissle, nobody looks like they've wanted to break the back of the net. It seems we're going for the cute picturebook goals too often.

That said, once one goes in then hopefully we'll see the confidence grow! What a great stage to do it on today.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012