Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:42:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Portsmouth game  (Read 9235 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Portsmouth game
« Reply #60 on October 17, 2020, 02:05:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
So only one loan player in the starting eleven. So it’s not just picking loan player’s

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 17, 2020, 02:16:42 pm by scawsby steve »
Strange side that. DM must have seen something in training.

We'll just have to trust him.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 17, 2020, 04:58:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Very impressive today. Solid at the back and we took our chance when it came.

Well deserved win. Bring on Ipswich. Will be a good pointer to see how good we are.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:04:31 pm by Campsall rover »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on October 17, 2020, 05:01:42 pm by dknward2 »
Beat Ipswich and we are 3 points behind them with a game in hand

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 17, 2020, 05:05:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Beat Ipswich and we are 3 points behind them with a game in hand
Any one finishing above Ipswich this season will get automatic promotion imo.
I don’t think they will disintegrate after Christmas like they did last season.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on October 17, 2020, 05:08:58 pm by graingrover »
You have to give it to Darren Moore .. his formation worked today and as the Pompey commentary said on two occasions we know how to play 4-3-2-1 and Reece James and Hallyday play it particularly well. Credit to James for the goal but a great pull back assist from Sims . 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on October 17, 2020, 05:13:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not a classic by any means. Bright first 20 mins, but then we were disrupted with too many free kicks going against us and Pompey just throwing loads of crosses into the box.

Overall we defended well and did enough to create a couple of chances and thankfully James scores a composed finish.

We still have work to do but you can see why Pompey fans want rid of Jackett Just too one dimensional!

Really good 3 points which kinda balances the Wigan defeat somewhat.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on October 17, 2020, 05:22:04 pm by graingrover »
The Pompey commentary was not complimentary of MARQUIS . He will always be a battler and I feel for him .. but the transfer money was ample compensation.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on October 17, 2020, 05:34:11 pm by scawsby steve »
I must admit the result turned it round for me after a rotten afternoon.

First of all, I missed the first 30 minutes because none of the browsers were working. I phoned my mate up, who's good with IT. He tried different things, but in the end told me to turn off the power to the router, and then back on again, which was probably obvious.

I eventually got in, but it kept buffering during the game. I also thought the Pompey coverage was terrible, showing endless replays while the game was going on.

I guess all this must have influenced my take on the game, because according to the commentators we were at our best in the first 30 minutes that I missed.

What I did see looked like a struggle to keep possession from both sides. However, we worked hard for our victory and kept a clean sheet. A great goal as well.

I'm happy with the 3 points, but we'll have to play better to beat a rampant Ipswich side on Tuesday.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on October 17, 2020, 05:44:16 pm by Campsall rover »
Code: [Select]

First of all, I missed the first 30 minutes because none of the browsers were working. I phoned my mate up, who's good with IT. He tried different things, but in the end told me to turn off the power to the router, and then back on again, which was probably obvious.

I eventually got in, but it kept buffering during the game. I also thought the Pompey coverage was terrible, showing endless replays while the game was going on.

I guess all this must have influenced my take on the game, because according to the commentators we were at our best in the first 30 minutes that I missed.

What I did see looked like a struggle to keep possession from both sides. However, we worked hard for our victory and kept a clean sheet. A great goal as well.

I'm happy with the 3 points, but we'll have to play better to beat a rampant Ipswich side on Tuesday.
If you keep a clean sheet then you only need 1 goal to win.  That’s what we did.  You can’t ask for more than that at Fratton Park.  I thought we played very well. Obviously Pompey were going to have a concerted spell of pressure in the game, you would expect that against one of the teams expected to finish in the top 3/4 this season.
We are not going to dominate games for 90 mins. What is important is we are very hard to beat and clean sheets will mean we will win a lot of games.
That was a cracking result for us today and Ipswich know they will have to be at their very best to beat us on Tuesday evening. Even then they may not win against a rampant Rovers.

SS I watch the matches on my I Pad and have had no problem whatsoever on any of the games. You can also get Rovers commentators for away matches.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:56:13 pm by Campsall rover »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on October 17, 2020, 05:53:58 pm by NickDRFC »
Mostly positives today for me - we battled well and even though Portsmouth saw a lot of the ball for large stretches of the game I didn’t think we were ever massively under threat. Pompey are probably underperforming right now but a win at Fratton Park isn’t something to be sniffed at. The goal itself was great - superb pass from Whiteman to release Sims when I thought he’d taken too long, good work from Sims himself and then an excellent finish from James. Okenabirhie worked hard although looked a bit rusty/sluggish at times. Richards and Sims looked lively coming on, Wims did really well defensively which isn’t really something I’d have expected. The main downside for me is that I have absolutely no confidence in Bursik with the ball coming into the box. He’s a good shot stopper and made a couple of sharp saves today, but doesn’t look as though he’s comfortable dealing with crosses and doesn’t inspire half the confidence that Dieng did. Best not even mention his kicking!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on October 17, 2020, 06:00:10 pm by Campsall rover »
Have to agree about Bursik on crosses. No where near as dominant as Deing.
Excellent shot stopper, good distribution but is still way way way ahead of Lawlor.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:27:58 pm by Campsall rover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on October 17, 2020, 06:15:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »
The Pompey commentary was not complimentary of MARQUIS . He will always be a battler and I feel for him .. but the transfer money was ample compensation.

How come you had Portsmouth commentator? You know you can change it to the Away commentary in the bottom right?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on October 17, 2020, 06:25:56 pm by NewDonny »
Excellent shot stopper, good distribution and is still way way way ahead of Lawlor.

Dieng was/is an excellent keeper, superb in coming for crosses.

Very good result today down there, really pleased.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on October 17, 2020, 06:32:18 pm by scawsby steve »
Code: [Select]

If you keep a clean sheet then you only need 1 goal to win.  That’s what we did.  You can’t ask for more than that at Fratton Park.  I thought we played very well. Obviously Pompey were going to have a concerted spell of pressure in the game, you would expect that against one of the teams expected to finish in the top 3/4 this season.
We are not going to dominate games for 90 mins. What is important is we are very hard to beat and clean sheets will mean we will win a lot of games.
That was a cracking result for us today and Ipswich know they will have to be at their very best to beat us on Tuesday evening. Even then they may not win against a rampant Rovers.

SS I watch the matches on my I Pad and have had no problem whatsoever on any of the games. You can also get Rovers commentators for away matches.

Yes Campsall, it was Robbie and Glen that I was talking about regarding the comments on how well we'd played in the first 30 minutes.

Regarding iFollow, I'd had no problems either with Chrome, until today. However, some people are having regular problems, and are talking about giving up.

We badly need to get back into the stadiums.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on October 17, 2020, 07:25:14 pm by graingrover »
thanks for the tip on how to change to and from club commentary ..I do think that as long as our club is relying on our fans buying these matches on i follow we should do all
we can to sort out connection problems so as not to lose income for the club .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on October 17, 2020, 07:33:15 pm by roversdude »
Excellent shot stopper, good distribution but is still way way way ahead of Lawlor.

Strange how people see things differently - I think Bursik’s distribution is his weak point, it’s poor just kicking the ball into touch. Other than that we were excellent

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on October 17, 2020, 07:42:52 pm by jmt23 »
Ive not had the option to change the commentry for the last few games. I've tried clicking around the screen to bring the options up, but nothing happens.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on October 17, 2020, 08:18:42 pm by danumdon »
Good battling performance for the Rovers today, I was really pleased to see that DM has instilled some steel into the mentality of the players, in the past we would of allowed a team like them back into the match late on.

I thought the defence handled their attacking play well with Tom and Joe back on song, both full backs had a good game giving support out wide for Taylor and James.I thought Bursik was comfortable for most of the game, I don’t mind the odd flap when coming out for the ball, the fact he comes helps the defence, he’s a confident lad and will improve with us, the quick ball out wide didn’t work for him today but the intention is there and it will jell. Good to see Whiteman concentrate on the percentage ball a lot more this game, this gave us more stability in midfield and prevented them from taking control. Gomes was busy and covered lots of ground and linked up play well. Not a great amount going forward for us today, they all worked well and Feji on another day would of made better use of his chances, this full game will do him a world of good. Of the two debutants, not to much time for Smith but I thought Simms looks a player, him coming on with Richards took plenty of sting out of them.

Overall a very pleasing grafting performance which puts the Wigan game to bed and allows us to kick on with Ipswich  DM put the layoff to good use and the players responded, well done Lads.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on October 17, 2020, 08:48:16 pm by Janso »
Ive not had the option to change the commentry for the last few games. I've tried clicking around the screen to bring the options up, but nothing happens.

There's a gear/cog thing along the toolbar at the bottom of the picture. It's in audio settings.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on October 17, 2020, 09:32:23 pm by drfchound »
I didn’t get the chance to watch the game today due to it being my four year old grandsons birthday.
Having looked at the Skylightes I liked what I saw on there.
We looked very good going forward and as usual, very solid at the back.
I did manage to listen to the Radio Sheff first half commentary and after a while it sounded like Portsmouth were trying to rough up our defenders, especially Joe Wright.
Good to see that we are strong enough to not let that sort of stuff bother us.
A very good win today.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on October 17, 2020, 09:36:48 pm by ravenrover »
Wasn't Joe on a yellow? Good tactics to get a player sent off, not that we would ever do sich a thing

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on October 17, 2020, 10:44:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think DM is onto something pushing Reece James further forward. He plays with purpose, pace, always trying to push forward and takes up some smart positions.

He definitely shows plenty of desire which one or two of our players should take note.

My MoM today capped by the goal and I wouldn't be surprised if DM persists with more of the same from James on Tuesday.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking we need a bit more dynamism from our front players. Whether Fejiri is not 100% I don't know but he doesn't look anywhere near where he was last season.

Let's hope JJ's injury is a minor one, same with Tulloch as we'll need them to provide a, spark over a busy period.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on October 18, 2020, 12:48:53 am by Prez »
I think DM is onto something pushing Reece James further forward. He plays with purpose, pace, always trying to push forward and takes up some smart positions.

He definitely shows plenty of desire which one or two of our players should take note.

My MoM today capped by the goal and I wouldn't be surprised if DM persists with more of the same from James on Tuesday.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking we need a bit more dynamism from our front players. Whether Fejiri is not 100% I don't know but he doesn't look anywhere near where he was last season.

Let's hope JJ's injury is a minor one, same with Tulloch as we'll need them to provide a, spark over a busy period.

Hes a good player is James. Cant really recall him having a bad game for us. Seems to be adaptable and versatile too.

Suprised Sunderland let him go.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on October 18, 2020, 10:41:07 am by selby »
  I can remember going on their forum when we signed him.
   The main moan about him from their posters was that he added nothing to their attacking abilities although a decent full back.
  He has certainly bloody well changed since coming here.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on October 18, 2020, 11:18:26 am by NewDonny »
   The main moan about him from their posters was that he added nothing to their attacking abilities although a decent full back.

Not sure that was ever right in the first place tbh, he is a good solid LB that gets up and down the line well linking up with whoever is in front of him.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on October 18, 2020, 11:30:30 am by NickDRFC »

Not sure that was ever right in the first place tbh, he is a good solid LB that gets up and down the line well linking up with whoever is in front of him.

Sorry for taking this off topic but how’s your son getting on so far this season? They’ve started better than I expected but not really looked into how Sadlier is doing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on October 18, 2020, 01:13:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
James is a superb player. Up there with the very best left backs we've had.

But Halliday was my MoM yesterday. His workrate was literally breathtaking, and his ability on the ball, quick, accurate, positive passing has improved beyond measure from last season.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on October 18, 2020, 01:47:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
James is a superb player. Up there with the very best left backs we've had.

But Halliday was my MoM yesterday. His workrate was literally breathtaking, and his ability on the ball, quick, accurate, positive passing has improved beyond measure from last season.

Agree re Halliday having another strong game. He too is not afraid to come inside and get involved in open play. Like James, if Halliday could add a bit more directness to his game more often and get some shots off, which we know he can, then we have more goal threat.

I think we get a bit peeved when our more advanced players dither and dally at times, sometimes being weak in challenges when both James and Halliday show the way with a bit of steel.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012